Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FL-GO

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by FL-GO »

Dave Gage ‘91 - does a nice job working with Ted.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The most complete game the team has played this season. Nice win! Congrats !! It was a solid outing across the board. Great to see the reserves getting some PT. Seeing Evnin on the field for the first time ever was heartening. It looks like the team has found another outside shooter in "Mad Bomber" Max Snellenburg. Gotta love those goals. Anthony Stillwell will can one soon. Just great to see the team play with confidence and have a good time. The D slid well and the team went after GBs the way they always should. Results were obvious from their efforts. We'll need Shea and Valent on Saturday as Cuse has 2 good faceoff men. I hope Ronnie's is still rocking as I type this. Good job Statesmen!!
315lax

Post by 315lax »

Great win against an Upstate NY highscool section 3-5 team. Early on we looked like crap and defensively looked awful against them.
Last edited by 315lax on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Is that sarcasm? One step at a time, man. Hobart will face a tough day next week, and I gave Lemoyne the edge today based on the poor performance over the past few weeks. Today they shot on goal, held possession, earned ground balls, and gave the bench some playing time. Let's see what they can do with nothing to lose next week.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Great performance today! Let it all hang out next week boys!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I know I can be hyper critical of the team and coaches. Today was the first time this season I saw the potential of this team being realized. The good news is we saw a glimpse of it today. What we need now is for the team to continue these efforts and amp them up 3 fold for Syracuse. Keep it going!!
315lax

Post by 315lax »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 pm Is that sarcasm?
It’s frustration. They are better than how they have been playing. They need to find that thing that propels them into playing a full game on point. I do think we started out sloppy especially the defensive. We can’t afford that going into the A10. I hope they come out strong next week, plow through it like a cohesive group of tough young men and come out of it stronger and full of fire for the A10.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

It was Lemoyne but that was a very well played game across the board. Shot selection was the best I have seen all year. There were so many great looks close in and kids finished. Goaltending and faceoffs were solid as usual. Clearing was near perfect. And we got to rest people for almost the entire 4th quarter. Hope this execution carries into Syracuse, win or lose. We play like we did yesterday and we can beat any team in the A10.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

315lax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:09 am
Laxgunea wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:22 pm Is that sarcasm?
It’s frustration. They are better than how they have been playing. They need to find that thing that propels them into playing a full game on point. I do think we started out sloppy especially the defensive. We can’t afford that going into the A10. I hope they come out strong next week, plow through it like a cohesive group of tough young men and come out of it stronger and full of fire for the A10.
I hear you. It's been a super frustrating year. I agree this team has more talent that they've shown, and they have more to show yet. Could be coaching, but at least on offense Brundage has created high powered scoring in the past. The defense has been sloppy, but we all knew it would be that way this year. They graduated their experienced players last year so it is only Firth, a junior, with experience. I see this as a very young team that is finding itself. It is bad timing that we increased the strength of schedule this year, but it will pay off in the future. For now I am happy they got a taste of what they can do. They almost let down after the half, but instead they dialed in. I hope Saturday lifts them, win or lose, instead of crushing them.
FWIW, they can look to Hobart Hockey for fortitude. What a game! Nothing like an extra 80 minutes to test how much you want it.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Big week for the Statesmen. While a "win is a win", hard to get too excited beating a first year D1 team. The real meat of the season is now here, let's hope they can sustain some momentum as the A10 heavyweights are almost upon them...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 am Big week for the Statesmen. While a "win is a win", hard to get too excited beating a first year D1 team. The real meat of the season is now here, let's hope they can sustain some momentum as the A10 heavyweights are almost upon them...
I think that we should be very excited about smoking LeMoyne, first year team or not. This was a game they definitely had circled as one they could pick off and we didn't let them in it at all. I feel good for the players since they were obviously having fun out there, and that sort of thing has been missing all season. They need to keep this positive attitude going no matter what happens this weekend.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch- we have different barometers for "excitement" :lol:
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Murmurs of a big big Statesman watch party going down in 'The Big Apple'. Hopefully the alums enjoy a few beverages !

Hip Hip
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 am Ketch- we have different barometers for "excitement" :lol:
If you want extreme excitement, then you have to catch the Hobart hockey team. Just an unbelievable game the other night. I hope that the guys are recovered by Thursday afternoon. Would be great to bring the title back to Geneva again.

As for the lax team, no matter what happens this weekend I think that things are looking up. Syracuse is rebuilding rapidly and they've got a great team. Lots of good young players sprinkled in with a bunch of 5th years/transfers. Will be a tall task for our baby brigade/walking wounded.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Will there be a live feed for this week's hockey game, or were you there in person for the Curry game?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:19 pm Will there be a live feed for this week's hockey game, or were you there in person for the Curry game?
I don't see a live feed listed, but it looks like it's going to be on WHWS. Ted Baker does an excellent job with the play by play. The fluid action in hockey must make it much more difficult than doing a lacrosse game. He really hung tough the other night, and that after calling the lacrosse game in the afternoon.

I was not at the Curry game, but I did go see a game at the Cooler earlier in the season. Elmira game, a lot of fun as we crushed them. The place is kind of a dump, but it's a great home field advantage for us and I've heard from players on the Cortland team how much they hate playing there. I assume that's the same with other teams. You'd think that with the kind of program we've developed that we'd have a better place to play. Donors?
brodad

Post by brodad »

Maybe this is a non-issue, but should Hobart be providing dining services for the team while they are on campus practicing during Spring break? Dining halls were also not available to the team during the 2 weeks they were on campus during winter break. I suppose it's good life experience for them to fend for themselves, but cooking in dorms is not ideal, and are the athletes eating in a way that will help them perform optimially on game day? How do other colleges and universities handle these situations? Am I making something of nothing?
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

brodad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:32 pm Maybe this is a non-issue, but should Hobart be providing dining services for the team while they are on campus practicing during Spring break? Dining halls were also not available to the team during the 2 weeks they were on campus during winter break. I suppose it's good life experience for them to fend for themselves, but cooking in dorms is not ideal, and are the athletes eating in a way that will help them perform optimially on game day? How do other colleges and universities handle these situations? Am I making something of nothing?
I know over the years from some other program atheletes that this is a mixed bag. The biggest schools like Umass have dining facilities open during breaks because the school is not totally “closed”. But lots of schools like the ivys are completely closed. I think the point you are on is a good one though in general - why dont we offer up a voluntary nutritionist role for the athletes. Have a local physical therapist for example available to support the team. I am certain local providers would volunteer their time to help the school and get some additional visibility to their practice. This is very easy and I am surprised the AD isn’t addressing this in general with our 20+ men’s and women’s sports teams
man:down

Post by man:down »

I've read (and posted) on this thread many times about how critical ball movement on offense is for this team. They likely don't have great one-on-one match-ups against stronger teams so they have to feed cutters, make the skip passes, etc. Maybe it was just a weaker opponent that had them playing loose? Maybe it was some different personnel (a result of more injuries maybe?) but Hobart had 15 assisted goals - that's 5 more than any other game this season. Datellas had 4 assists. Greene had 3 and Ward had 3 as well (maybe the feeder we have needed?) . Obviously this will be harder against Cuse but it will work a lot better than trying to take them one-on-one.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

To your point man:down, teams with better personnel will extend out and take teams out of their offensive sets. We’ll see how well Hobart handles the Cuse pressure. We have to be able to win a 1v1 matchup, otherwise ball movement and cutters won’t do much…

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”