Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 20

Post by oldbartman »

cooperstef wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am
man:down wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:33 am I am not sure I understand any of your response (aside from some Hobart history). In short - all coaches need to change, adapt, do things differently. Or go.

I've written this before - Hobart is never going to out-recruit schools with: higher caliber academics, higher caliber lacrosse, larger student bodies, more favorable locations. SO - coaches need to squeeze the most out of the gritty, underdog players they get and beat other teams as a team. How about as a WHOLE team. Maybe these are not the coaches to do it.
Is Brundage to blame for chokes in 2016? I’m not sure there is more than one source of the stress and anxiety the kids have among the staff. Obviously fisher needs to find a new industry after SJU and this.

Would you want Brundage out or could you see him stepping up in an internal transition is why I bring this up. It’s a serious question if discussions were had. So what’s his role in this?

The leadership part was to front run any “he’s turning them into great citizens so earning his keep” defense. I doubt you’d see kids who choke like this have dramatically superior emotional quotient in a fast paced volatile real life setting and I don’t see dramatically better other datapoints to show he’s done anything special to mold them into men. it’s higher ed and they don’t run like a business so guys can hang it o their jobs and ride a unit into the ground for their own pension. I doubt given what we witness in live action he’s doing anything to make them better off the field. But I’m sure he’s selling pitch internally to support his job.

(The other note was to make sure folks knew the guy who does support Raymond and sells a story on here didn’t graduate and ratted his team out before the playoffs and then talks character and toughness here without having a HWS degree or the character to go to the teammates directly in the issue)
I'd be interested in who you are talking about, coward. Hiding behind an alias. You know nothing about the locker room or the coaching situation. Your judge of character is completely wrong. Either put your first and last name on here like I do or shut the heck up. Calling for someone's job when you don't know the person is a coward move. I hope like hell that you were one of the best Hobart lacrosse players because if you weren't you shouldn't ever speak about someone else's job and or the team again.
Coop, do you think the criticisms on this thread are way off? The team is 3-6 and has a few bad losses. There is a a constant with this program the last few years of letting victory slip away when they clearly had the game in hand. If you think the program is doing well and headed in the right direction, then we disagree. The points raised on this thread are legitimate imho. What do you think?
cooperstef

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by cooperstef »

Some of the criticism is completely understandable but the random rants as to whether or not Raymond is making these kids into good people is a joke. Unless he is way closer to the program than everyone else here and knows something we don't I think its kind of a joke to speculate about. That is more so the problem with this thread. There are 7-9 people in here that make solid commentary as to what is going on, but this one guy who posts a million times a day is constantly making it about more than the product on the field because of some vendetta. I find it annoying, I appreciate that he cares about the program but every criticism is speculation.
I agree that this team is 3-6 and going nowhere fast. It is frustrating, I think there are a lot of players under performing. There are also ton of young bright spot players to be excited about. I really don't know what the problem is. Up until 130 on Saturday we were all excited about the performance and what it would mean for them moving forward. Now I really don't know what to think
man:down

Post by man:down »

Perhaps the most important line posted here was " Up until 130 on Saturday we were all excited about the performance..." Its true. Thye held their own against Cuse (but made a few sloppy mistakes) and if Saturday had been the win everyone thought it would be 3/4 through the game, the team would be making plans for that Thursday A10 playoff at UMass and everyone here would be saying that everything has come together. Maybe that can/will still happen this Saturday (or one of the 2 following Saturdays). Maybe UMass was the final lesson the team and coaches needed. As fans, we sure as hell want that!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yes. It's not about talent or skills. It's a mental obstacle. Coaching is the answer, but how long will it take. Remember that long period in the 2010s when there were so many OT losses and 1 point losses. Finally Aslanian broke the damage in an OT victory at Canisius. The next few seasons were upward trajectory ... until COVID.
But coaching is either the problem or solution.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2016/3/15 ... isius.aspx
In reading it, I saw CoopStef got 4 GB in that game. Maybe a clinic on the Boz would help this team? (One correctly timed GB on Saturday would have changed the outcome).
But in looking on-line I also was reminded of the 2022 6-1 run that SHU made in the 4th to beat us, and the 7-1 run Bryant made that same year to beat us. Add in Lehigh and VT last year, and it's really a pattern.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

I have a lot of faith in the coaching staff. I think they need to make adjustments in games like Saturday for sure, no real excuse to allow 9 goals in a closing quarter. I also don’t see UMass as some high powered offense either, so obviously it was disappointing.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned much, but John Jude was such a massive loss to this team. He was the best dodger by a long shot last year, and we don’t really have that midfield dodging presence this year.

As Coop mentioned, some incredible young talent on this roster. Patterson is special, he’ll only settle in and get better. This defense is young, very young, but they’ve had great moments and will benefit from this tremendously.

The passion for the program in this thread really is rare and it makes me proud to be a part of, but don’t quit on Raymond and this coaching staff. I think this Saturday is going to be an excellent response, and we will get ourselves back on course with a full 60 minute performance.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Just thought I'd mention something to help us keep things in perspective.

Half of the teams who played last weekend lost. Same thing happens every weekend. I'd venture to guess, however, that we're the only school where every single loss gets turned into an existential question. That says something about the passion and expectations that we have for our team, but it's something we've got to get over. So we all need to get over the disappointment of last weekend (I know how bummed out I was) and look to the future.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:12 pm Just thought I'd mention something to help us keep things in perspective.

Half of the teams who played last weekend lost. Same thing happens every weekend. I'd venture to guess, however, that we're the only school where every single loss gets turned into an existential question. That says something about the passion and expectations that we have for our team, but it's something we've got to get over. So we all need to get over the disappointment of last weekend (I know how bummed out I was) and look to the future.
Have you checked out the JHU or Brown threads. Loyola too...
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:45 pm
Ketch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:12 pm Just thought I'd mention something to help us keep things in perspective.

Not the same. They do not question the very viability of their programs.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I guess you could call this a preview of the upcoming podcast....

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/mens-lac ... user-share
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:51 pm I guess you could call this a preview of the upcoming podcast....

I would really appreciate hearing about how we are going to learn and adjust and mix up the plays and players. I read this as just do more of the same but better. By the third quarter you can see opponents figure out everything we do. I think flipping the table is required against the spiders.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Hearing Josh Kenney has passed. So sad. He was a great guy with a humble and caring heart. Hell of a lax player from the Syracuse area on our 95 and 96 teams.

If you’re struggling please get help.
brodad

Post by brodad »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:51 pm I guess you could call this a preview of the upcoming podcast....

Time to hire a sports psychologist.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm

Did "half of the teams who played last weekend" lose by giving up 9 4th quarter goals? This has been a pattern for the last several years and given the lack of progress under his tenure, of course the grumblings will grow louder. SU just pi$$ed away the Cornell game, so I guess some teams do lose in similar fashion to Hobart :lol:
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 am

Time to hire a sports psychologist.

Brodad, no joke ... if we haven't hired a sports psychologist yet, it is beyond time. Seriously speaking, I think the coaches need it more than the players. Putting aside the question of whether Raymond should continue to be the coach (above my pay grade), he and the others need help figuring how to get this team over the hump. There is plenty of evidence from the past few years that this is a 3 quarter program. Whether it is recruiting and then playing more players, not shortening the bench, or something else, this is for the coaches to solve. When you can play UMich and SU evenly for a half, or dominate UMass for 3 quarters, but then fall apart, it shows there is the talent and skill, but not the ability to adjust or hang strong. A good sports psychologist might be just the thing. FWIW, I am not at all convinced that this "underdog" thing works. When I see an "underdog," I see the dog that has just given up. I want us to be the top dog ... the one holding the underdog by the neck.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:16 am
Ketch wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 pm

Did "half of the teams who played last weekend" lose by giving up 9 4th quarter goals? This has been a pattern for the last several years and given the lack of progress under his tenure, of course the grumblings will grow louder. SU just pi$$ed away the Cornell game, so I guess some teams do lose in similar fashion to Hobart :lol:
Right. I was going to mention SU giving up 8 second quarter goals to Cornell last night... I hope that you had a chance to watch that game. It was a classic! Cornell was the much grittier team, but I can't help but think that SU really coughed things up.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

I look forward to watching how we rebound this week. I anticipate a full 60min performance out of the statesman.

The positive is that everything is still infront of this team ... expectations are meaningless, the follow through is everything. Excited to watch the statesman compete this weekend!

Hip Hip
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

eldeststatesman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:53 pm I look forward to watching how we rebound this week. I anticipate a full 60min performance out of the statesman.

The positive is that everything is still infront of this team ... expectations are meaningless, the follow through is everything. Excited to watch the statesman compete this weekend!

Hip Hip
Lets go!!
brodad

Post by brodad »

Lets go boys!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Since the line workers can’t understand how someone can post on their phone (incl redundancies and dupes). One day they may achieve a level of professional and personal success where people aren’t looking at their time spent but until they can achieve that for the folks that want to be experts here’s four names and I want to see who can be first to say what they have in common:

Greg Degroat
Kim Kimber
Josh Kenney
Hunter MacDonnell

Good luck!

*For folsk into 1960s-70s Velvet Underground/leary/DMZ/warhol/ratso Rizzo NYC, Jim Carroll wrote a sing that’s fairly well known with the title close to the answer.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”