Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
statesmen2018

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by statesmen2018 »

How many ranked wins do we have in the past 10 years? We are due. Time for the kids to show up.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

statesmen2018 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 pm How many ranked wins do we have in the past 10 years? We are due. Time for the kids to show up.
The last ranked win we had was two years ago against Lehigh. That year we also played Cornell 15-12 and Syracuse 18-16, so we have shown competitive spurts. This year we are too young and too injured to be able to make a go of it against Syracuse. Just sayin'.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Too young, too injured for sure. But nothing to lose. Why not try some things? Would love to see Ward in that feeder role that Mandown mentioned. Would love to see Bach shooting more on the run. Maybe rotate Rosa in regularly for a few more inside shots.
My concern for Saturday is that we don't hold possession, and the defense collapses after being under constant pressure. We need long but productive possessions on offense.
Should be interesting. Crowd could be good depending on weather.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Ketch wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:02 pm
statesmen2018 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:22 pm How many ranked wins do we have in the past 10 years? We are due. Time for the kids to show up.
The last ranked win we had was two years ago against Lehigh. That year we also played Cornell 15-12 and Syracuse 18-16, so we have shown competitive spurts. This year we are too young and too injured to be able to make a go of it against Syracuse. Just sayin'.
A few things working in Hobart's favor on Sat.
1. Cuse has Duke tomorrow and ND next Sat, this Sat is the definition of a trap game.
2. With Hobart sandwiched between Duke and ND SU will get limited time to prepare, if Hobart springs a few surprises its likely to catch SU off guard.
3. The weather for Sat looks pretty bad right now, high of 39/40 with rain and snow forecast, again exactly what you're looking for if your Hobart.
4. Hobarts first home game against SU since I think 19, crowd should be juiced and a good environment.

A few things working against Bart from what I see
1. Shea is a very good fogo but Cuse has two upper echelon guys and haven't had a game where they have really struggled at the X all year despite seeing 2 of the top FOGOs in the country in Wierman and Colletti.
2. Syracuse's middies will be a handful for whoever Hobart doesn't pole. Unless Hobart is going to try and double pole they will likely have their hands full with Leo, Birtwistle, Rhoa, Thomson etc.
3. Spallina had a pretty good day last year against Bart, if they can't slow him down it will be a long day.
4. From a defensive standpoint I am not sure if Hobart as the O middies to punish the SU SSDM's which have had issues most of the year. SU has the two close defenders in FIguerias and Dwan who I think can limit Datellas and Patterson, Bart will need to be able to attack Cuse's short sticks.

Should be a good game on Sat, wish the weather was looking better.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I wouldn't be surprised if the game is moved into the Dome at Bart. Neither coach wants to see their players on a wet, possibly icy field and suffering injuries. It would suck for the fans as there is very limited access. Player safety comes before fam access imo. Absolute worse case scenario is we're playing in the Dome at Cuse...again.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

If Hobart can keep it within 10, it’ll be a moral victory—weather may help with that. Just don’t see how Hobart matches up on D—if they go zone, SU can really spin it and shoot. Not real confident, but who knows?

St Joes just beat Penn…
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:16 pm I wouldn't be surprised if the game is moved into the Dome at Bart. Neither coach wants to see their players on a wet, possibly icy field and suffering injuries. It would suck for the fans as there is very limited access. Player safety comes before fam access imo. Absolute worse case scenario is we're playing in the Dome at Cuse...again.
Weather would have to be really bad I would think to move it indoors at Bart. Certainly not impossible but as long as is stays above freezing I assume the game will be outside. I don't see any scenario where its moved to the Dome,maybe in a worse case scenario the game gets moved to Sunday?
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:18 pm If Hobart can keep it within 10, it’ll be a moral victory—weather may help with that. Just don’t see how Hobart matches up on D—if they go zone, SU can really spin it and shoot. Not real confident, but who knows?

St Joes just beat Penn…
Cuse hasn't seen much in the way of a zone defense this year. It could work as a change up for a possession or 2 a quarter but unless you have an elite level goalie hard to see it being a main defense.. SU can spin it as you noted but they also have a number of guys who can shoot from deep in the top 2 midfields and two frosh on the bench who aren't in the top 6 who can really let it fly in Kellogg and McCarthy.
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

ok, call me crazy ... however bad the weather is supposed to be Saturday in Geneva ... I hope its worse. Between bad weather and a choppy game - we might just win.

Hip Hip
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

There's a not so friendly post on the Syracuse thread about the upcoming game. Maybe a little additional motivation for the team? Either way, I sure hope we can score more than Duke did last night. We'll certainly need to move the ball better than they did. Our D may need to go in and out of a zone to keep the other orange O on their toes.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Post by Finster » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:05 pm

Will Mark with an outstanding game, but I don’t see enough credit for the sophomore Billy Dwan. He’s got the size and height to negate O’Neill, and he appeared faster. You could tell he frustrated O’Neil since so many of O’Neill’s shots weren’t even on goal.

Syracuse has played two flawless games on a row now.

On to Hobart, which ordinarily I’d call a trap game, except Hobart is as awful a Hobart team this year as they’ve ever had (lost to Cornell 23-7…).
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

SMAIN wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:42 pm Post by Finster » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:05 pm

Will Mark with an outstanding game, but I don’t see enough credit for the sophomore Billy Dwan. He’s got the size and height to negate O’Neill, and he appeared faster. You could tell he frustrated O’Neil since so many of O’Neill’s shots weren’t even on goal.

Syracuse has played two flawless games on a row now.

On to Hobart, which ordinarily I’d call a trap game, except Hobart is as awful a Hobart team this year as they’ve ever had (lost to Cornell 23-7…).
Sorry, but there’s no denying the scores of our games. Some of the games have been downright brutal. I always want the best for our men, but we’ve really got our work cut out for us.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Agreed, Ketch. I'm hoping SU is cocky and thinking about their next game. No matter what, we have to play with nothing to lose and for all 4 quarters. Every statistical victory would be a great bonus for us. More gb, fewer turnovers, better clear percentage.... Play it like a scrimmage preparing for the A10. Emphasize more and faster ball movement, and continue with the Lemoyne assist numbers. Hold possession and DON'T make the defense play 50 minutes against a brutally good SU team. Also rotate more guys in to give experience and keep injuries down. I'm not offended by the SU thread comment. All we can do is show them it was wrong.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

OldOrange

Post by OldOrange »

Saturday's game moved up to a 3:30 start, make sure to get your fish early. signed, a thoughtful Syracuse alum :D
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

And eggs for the SU bus… 😂
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

No fish since the debacle on McCooey few years back. Pains me to remember it. :(
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:06 am No fish since the debacle on McCooey few years back. Pains me to remember it. :(
No eggs either. Juvenile behavior imo.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I imagine the game was moved back to 330 so folks could watch the Hobart Hockey game in Hartford. Trinity will be tough, but back to back national championships would be sweet.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Just watched UMass lose to a previously winless Brown. Brown HC asked for a stick check on UMass FOGO after he won a faceoff and scored. Goal wiped off and 1 min penalty. Just a reminder to all that refs can and will check any and all sticks on the field, including those lying on the sideline. That penalty may have cost UMass the game. They will be "motivated" next weekend. I know Cuse is tomorrow, but I would like nothing better than to beat UMass. It has been way too long.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”