Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
slog47

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by slog47 »

leafybeef wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:45 am Peter Ashmore would be an interesting add. Anyone know if its the Hobart connection or if there are other schools looking for him to join their staff? Adam Hardy would be more of a second chance there. He did win a national championship in Tampa I believe as a coach. Don't know if they would bring them both in.
I don’t know where all these rumblings of Peter ashmore and Adam hardy returning are coming from last time I was in contact with them Adam opened up a dive bar in Greensboro and Peter ashmore is running souther California sweet lax it would be nice if Peter can send some studs up to Seneca lake in the near future
brodad

Post by brodad »

FFG, you needed 4 posts to respond to my thoughtless comment?

For you to argue that strength of schedule is irrelevant to the team's on-field play/results/success/etc makes no sense.

Pointing out that this year's schedule was more difficult than the last few seasons does not in any way diminish the team's many accomplishments throughout its history (eg, the 1998 season). I am no Hobart historian, but am learning about it the hard way haha.

I'm not sure what you mean about I'm missing the point on Raymond.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Kids are softer today than ever so a mind doc is probably a necessary in this current culture. Personally I have heard that Raymond runs a solid “be a better man” culture which is to be admired on that aspect. Raymond talks on the podcasts about the “dog” culture of being an underdog and putting it all out there. I guess what I would like to see is the commitment to winning or at least trying to win - regardless of the strength of schedule (which by the way is a product of the coaching decision). What bugged me last year and this year is this inability to change the game plan, to change the lineup, to change anything. I think that hurt us in at least 5-6 games over the past 2 years, maybe more. Easy for us to throw stones because we aren’t in the locker room or at the practices to know what is really going on. I am sure they want to win….and I feel for them. But clearly something needs to change.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm FFG, you needed 4 posts to respond to my thoughtless comment?

For you to argue that strength of schedule is irrelevant to the team's on-field play/results/success/etc makes no sense.

Pointing out that this year's schedule was more difficult than the last few seasons does not in any way diminish the team's many accomplishments throughout its history (eg, the 1998 season). I am no Hobart historian, but am learning about it the hard way haha.

Phone has changed communication for people moving a lot. It was worse before I leaned to use do not disturb.

You’re ignoring the ten year history of the same problems. And then asking “what, you all don’t think he can get it done as if he’s in year 3.

Your regional comments were like as if this was news to you but these pages of thread right here immediately before you, or with a page or so, exhausting the issue and covering the aspect you were highlighting to support the guy.

He’s the one who diluted the OOC schedule to begin with. But come on we play hate every year and know who they are. in and out of being ranked in their best year in a decade.

It’s just time. Constantly outlasted in second halves. Somehow even as kids graduate we have the same tense stick tightening and panicking that fausws damage- it would be funny to think we just recruit kids who have that problem over time Vs something in their environment. More than do we think he can get the job done, because I’d argue he really hasn’t with what half his seasons being below .500 despite knowing you had 3-4 NEC wins when the calendar turned plus Canisius and Siena/. We had five wins more or less banked for most of his time ther and we at going in our what 4th or 5th losing season in his 10. And. It like 6-8. 5-10, 4-11, 5-9 and this year plus a 7-7. Do we think we can be more because if so then time isn’t our friend. Ike a distressed deal, your first lost is your best loss.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm Kids are softer today than ever so a mind doc is probably a necessary in this current culture. Personally I have heard that Raymond runs a solid “be a better man” culture which is to be admired on that aspect. Raymond talks on the podcasts about the “dog” culture of being an underdog and putting it all out there. I guess what I would like to see is the commitment to winning or at least trying to win - regardless of the strength of schedule (which by the way is a product of the coaching decision). What bugged me last year and this year is this inability to change the game plan, to change the lineup, to change anything. I think that hurt us in at least 5-6 games over the past 2 years, maybe more. Easy for us to throw stones because we aren’t in the locker room or at the practices to know what is really going on. I am sure they want to win….and I feel for them. But clearly something needs to change.
He’s clearly a slave to his own dogmatic approach to it. Sounds great, I love it. Probably sells well. But execution matters. But it’s too rigid and strident. Limiting.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:10 pm FFG, you needed 4 posts to respond to my thoughtless comment?

Here’s two games where “we didn’t make adjustments” which is really to say that Mike Pressler hates Hobart because he couldn’t beat them for years when he coached at Ohio Wesleyan (who’s AD for a long time came from Hobart- Minor Myers)

Ugggly: like this is slightly off color but those games answer Hobart feel like they were Jodi Foster in the bar in The Accused Just trying to have some fun and then…

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2000/5/10/80389947.aspx

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2002/5/12/88989568.aspx

BTW, we played six (6) top ten teams in 2000 and nine (9) ranked teams in 2002.
See Martin, Malcolm
brodad

Post by brodad »

I think you're confusing me with another poster. I don't believe I've been a defender of Raymond on here at all. I have a lot of doubts about the coaching as do many of the people in attendance at games, here on the forum etc. Watching games last year and this year it's looked many tmes like the opposing coaches made adjustments and Hobart did not which resulted in a blowout quarter or two, which resulted in a loss.

My point about hiring a sports psychologist comes from watching Union College win a D1 national championship in ice hockey in 2014 - like Hobart they only have 1 D1 sport at the school and faced the same lack of scholarships. After the championship victory, several of the players specifically thanked the team's sports psychologist for his work with them. So, if the Hobart coaching staff isn't going anywhere before next season, why not bring on that sports psych? He could at least work on the sense of doom that's in the back of every player's head right now.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

brodad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 am I think you're confusing me with another poster. I don't believe I've been a defender of Raymond on here at all. I have a lot of doubts about the coaching as do many of the people in attendance at games, here on the forum etc. Watching games last year and this year it's looked many tmes like the opposing coaches made adjustments and Hobart did not which resulted in a blowout quarter or two, which resulted in a loss.

My point about hiring a sports psychologist comes from watching Union College win a D1 national championship in ice hockey in 2014 - like Hobart they only have 1 D1 sport at the school and faced the same lack of scholarships. After the championship victory, several of the players specifically thanked the team's sports psychologist for his work with them. So, if the Hobart coaching staff isn't going anywhere before next season, why not bring on that sports psych? He could at least work on the sense of doom that's in the back of every player's head right now.
I’ll tell you why. Bringing in a third party risks exposing cracks in the foundation of a coaches methodology. And honestly coaches don’t want to change and don’t want exposure to what they need to do differently. It would force program changes that might be uncomfortable. My brother in law coached at Penn state years back and most of these coaches are bro’s who were studs in college. They don’t want to hear they need to change.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Ya I could see that making the coaches uncomfortable
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

brodad wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:49 am I think you're confusing me with another poster. I don't believe I've been a defender of Raymond on here at all. I have a lot of doubts about the coaching as do many of the people in attendance at games, here on the forum etc. Watching games last year and this year it's looked many tmes like the opposing coaches made adjustments and Hobart did not which resulted in a blowout quarter or two, which resulted in a loss.

I thought you had posted "what we dont'think Raymond can get it done even though he won a confernce title" but I'll may have misapplied that comment to you.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sorry I applied a comment from courtdog to you, my bad. I agree on the psychologist part but thought you had also made the "Raymond can't get it done?' comment so conflated those two.

Budget is the answer though if we couldn't afford a S&C coach who led the teams conferences in injuries YOY I don't think we can bring an more expnsive professional in. Not when they've got enough stuff to deal with from Maniacs like Dan McGowan (once a terrific professor but lost it somewhere) and Jodi Dean (never as cool as she thought she was and we don't need to see leather pants from a 50 somehting professor ever)
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:56 am

I’ll tell you why. Bringing in a third party risks exposing cracks in the foundation of a coaches methodology. And honestly coaches don’t want to change and don’t want exposure to what they need to do differently. It would force program changes that might be uncomfortable. My brother in law coached at Penn state years back and most of these coaches are bro’s who were studs in college. They don’t want to hear they need to change.
I dont necessarily know about the very last part but the rest is split the nuts bullseye. it's very clear that our staff isn't malleable or open minded thats for sure. You'd think Brundage, a guy who got a taste for the real world, would be good with this but in general and specifically this is very true. And fact is best organizaitos take best practices from outside their own operation and implement all the time. To have absolute positions on so many things speaks to an inflexible mind (which this is a bit rough but is obvious when a guy is struggling to define and articulate "whack a mole" in a pre recorded interview).

So what does one do with a agent for an org that refuses to do anything asked from outsiders ever and only their own plan? Let em stay unitl retirement of course!
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

100% agree on sports psychologist. FWIW WS soccer uses one all the time. Their coach is the winningest soccer coach in the NCAA, if I'm not mistaken. I would be surprised if Lacrosse doesn't have access to one. But what lax needs is not someone who works with individuals, but more a whole team approach. The abroad trip is a great place to start working with the team.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

:lol:
Except, it's true ... losing is a disease. Or, to put it another way, winning is a skill that can be learned. I go back to 3 quarter games. We didn't know how to win. We showed up at the dance, busted a couple of moves, chatted the girl up, and then she left with someone else. Glengarry Glenross ... ABC ... always be closing. Don't be the "underdog" .... be the top dog, jaws on the neck, and then finish it.
Yeah, a coach can help with this, and so can a sports psychologist, but ultimately the players have to find it in themselves.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:53 am :lol:
Except, it's true ... losing is a disease. Or, to put it another way, winning is a skill that can be learned. I go back to 3 quarter games. We didn't know how to win. We showed up at the dance, busted a couple of moves, chatted the girl up, and then she left with someone else. Glengarry Glenross ... ABC ... always be closing. Don't be the "underdog" .... be the top dog, jaws on the neck, and then finish it.
Yeah, a coach can help with this, and so can a sports psychologist, but ultimately the players have to find it in themselves.
Apply this to lacrosse aspects and you can knock out 80% of it without the cost.

10 Cognitive Distortions That Can Cause Negative Thinking
Recognizing these thought patterns can help you overcome them

Woman looking in mirror that has a distorted reflection of herself
Verywell / Nez Riaz
Cognitive distortions are negative or irrational patterns of thinking. These negative thought patterns can play a role in diminishing your motivation, lowering your self-esteem, and contributing to problems like anxiety, depression, and substance use.

This article discusses different cognitive distortions and how they work. It also discusses hypothetical examples to show how this kind of thinking affects behavior and what you can do to help overcome these distortions.

All-or-Nothing Thinking

All-or-nothing thinking is also known as black-and-white thinking or polarized thinking. This type of thinking involves viewing things in absolute terms: Situations are always black or white, everything or nothing, good or bad, success or failure.1

An example of all-or-nothing thinking is dwelling on mistakes and assuming you will never be able to do well, instead of acknowledging the error and trying to move past it.

One way to overtime this cognitive distortion is to recognize that success and progress are not all-or-nothing concepts. By addressing this type of thinking and replacing self-defeating thoughts, you can feel better about your progress and recognize your strengths.

Overgeneralization

Overgeneralization happens when you make a rule after a single event or a series of coincidences.2 The words "always" or "never" frequently appear in the sentence. Because you have experience with one event playing out a certain way, you assume that all future events will have the same outcome.

For example, imagine that you made a suggestion about a work project that wasn't adopted in the final work. You might overgeneralize this and assume that no one at work ever listens to you or takes you seriously.

One way to combat overgeneralization is to focus on using realistic language. Instead of saying, "I always do that!," say something such as, "That happens sometimes, but I'll try to do better next time."

Mental Filters

A mental filter is the opposite of overgeneralization, but with the same negative outcome.3 Instead of taking one small event and generalizing it inappropriately, the mental filter takes one small event and focuses on it exclusively, filtering out anything else.

For example, Nathan focuses on all of the negative or hurtful things that his partner has said or done in their relationship, but he filters all the kind and thoughtful things his partner does. This thinking contributes to feelings of negativity about his partner and their relationship.

Journaling is one strategy that might help overcome mental filtering. Make an effort to intentionally shift your focus from the negative and look for more neutral or positive aspects of a situation.

Discounting the Positive

Discounting the positive is a cognitive distortion that involves ignoring or invalidating good things that have happened to you.4 It is similar to mental filtering, but instead of simply ignoring the positives, you are actively rejecting them.

For example, Joel completes a project and receives an award for his outstanding work. Rather than feeling proud of his achievement, he attributes it to pure luck that has nothing to do with his talent and effort.

One way to overcome this cognitive distortion is to reframe how you attribute events. Instead of seeing positive outcomes as flukes, focus on noticing how your own strengths, skills, and efforts contributed to the outcome.

By having more faith in your abilities, you'll feel more empowered and less likely to experience learned helplessness, a phenomenon where people feel that they have no control over the outcome.

Jumping to Conclusions

There are two ways of jumping to conclusions:

Mind reading: When you think someone is going to react in a particular way, or you believe someone is thinking things that they aren't
Fortune telling: When you predict events will unfold in a particular way, often to avoid trying something difficult
For example, Jamie believes that he cannot stand life without heroin. Such beliefs hold him back from getting the treatment and help that he needs to successfully recover from substance use.

To overcome this cognitive distortion, take a moment to consider the facts before you make a decisions. Ask questions and challenge your initial assumptions.

Magnification

Magnification is exaggerating the importance of shortcomings and problems while minimizing the importance of desirable qualities. Similar to mental filtering and discounting the positive, this cognitive distortion involves magnifying your negative qualities while minimizing your positive ones.

For example, when something bad happens, you see this as "proof" of your own failures. But when good things happen, you minimize their importance. For example, a person addicted to pain medication might magnify the importance of eliminating all pain and exaggerate how unbearable their pain is.

To overcome magnification, focus on learning how to identify these thoughts and intentionally replacing them with more helpful, realistic ways of thinking.

Emotional Reasoning

Emotional reasoning is a way of judging yourself or your circumstances based on your emotions. This type of reasoning assumes that because you are experiencing a negative emotion, it must accurately reflect reality. If you feel experience feelings of guilt, for example, emotional reasoning would lead you to conclude that you are a bad person.

For instance, Jenna used emotional reasoning to conclude that she was a worthless person, which in turn led to binge eating.

While research has found that this distortion is common in people who have anxiety and depression, it is actually a very common way of thinking that many people engage in.5 Cognitive behavior therapy can help people recognize the signs of emotional reasoning and realize that feelings are not facts.

"Should" Statements

"Should" statements involve always thinking about things that you think you "should" or "must" do. These types of statements can make you feel worried or anxious. They can also cause you to experience guilt or a sense of failure. Because you always think you "should" be doing something, you end up feeling as if you are constantly failing.

An example: Cheryl thinks she should be able to play a song on her violin without making any mistakes. When she does make mistakes, she feels angry and upset with herself. As a result, she starts to avoid practicing her violin.

When you recognize yourself engaging in this cognitive distortion, focus on practicing self-compassion. Replace these statements with more realistic ones, and work on accepting yourself for who you are rather than who you think you should be.

Labeling

Labeling is a cognitive distortion that involves making a judgment about yourself or someone else as a person, rather than seeing the behavior as something the person did that doesn't define them as an individual.

For example, you might label yourself as a failure. You can also label other people as well. You might decide that someone is a jerk because of one interaction and continue to judge them in all future interactions through that lens with no room for redemption.

You can combat labeling by challenging the accuracy of your assumptions. Look for evidence that counters your negative thoughts. Remind yourself of the difference between opinions and facts.

Press Play for Advice On How to Be Less Judgmental

Hosted by therapist Amy Morin, LCSW, this episode of The Verywell Mind Podcast, shares how you can learn to be less judgmental. Click below to listen now.

Follow Now: Apple Podcasts / Spotify / Google Podcasts

Personalization and Blame

Personalization and blame is a cognitive distortion whereby you entirely blame yourself, or someone else, for a situation that, in reality, involved many factors that were out of your control.

For example, Anna blamed herself for her daughter's bad grade in school. Instead of trying to find out why her daughter is struggling and exploring ways to help, Anna assumes it is a sign that she is a bad mother.

When you find yourself engaging in this cognitive distortion, make a conscious effort to consider other factors that might have played a role in the situation. Instead of blaming yourself for something that happened, consider external factors or other people's actions that might have also been contributing factors.

Coping With Cognitive Distortions

Once you recognize that you are experiencing cognitive distortions, there are steps you can take to change these ways of thinking. Getting help is important, because these distorted thought patterns can seriously affect mental health and well-being. To change cognitive distortions:

Become More Aware of Your Thoughts

Try to notice the thoughts that contribute to feelings of anxiety, negativity, or depression. Practices such as journaling and mindfulness may help you build better awareness of your own thoughts.

Recognize the Effect of Cognitive Distortions

Cognitive distortions can contribute to poor decisions making, but they can also play a significant role in the onset and maintenance of mental illness and other issues. Such distortions are associated with the following:

Addiction
Anxiety, fear, and panic
Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
Depression
Feelings of hopelessness
Increased risk of suicidal thinking6
Low self-esteem
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD)7
Poor self-efficacy
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)8
Challenge Your Thoughts

As you recognize that distorted thoughts cause problems, it is essential to work to change them actively. It may be uncomfortable, particularly at first, but work on challenging yourself. Is there evidence that contradicts your thoughts? Are there more helpful ways of thinking about a situation?

Talk to a Professional

If cognitive distortions are contributing to feelings of anxiety, depression, or other mental health problems, consider talking to a therapist. A therapist can utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and other strategies to help you change these distorted ways of thinking.

CBT is an approach that helps people recognize these cognitive distortions and replace them with more helpful, realistic thoughts.9 Techniques that your therapist may utilize include cognitive reframing and cognitive restructuring.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

By the way we aren’t even close to getting steak knives, 3rd place is a dream.
See Martin, Malcolm
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Good reminder why going back to D3 could be worse. Check out the records / regional rankings of these 4 LL teams:

R2 1RIT (15-1), 2RPI (14-1), 3St. Lawrence (13-2), 4Union (13-2)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FL-GO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm Good reminder why going back to D3 could be worse. Check out the records / regional rankings of these 4 LL teams:

R2 1RIT (15-1), 2RPI (14-1), 3St. Lawrence (13-2), 4Union (13-2)
I have friends who disagree but I've wondered how Jake Coons would feel about taking his talents east a little...
See Martin, Malcolm
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

RIT undergraduate enrollment: 12,000+ and, I believe FREE tuition for Canadians(there's 23 on current roster). There's a reason so many HS/college players spend their summers playing box. Again, it's the jimmy & joes...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”