Best player in your schools history

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gorilla Fan

Re: Best player in your schools history

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Lots of great candidates for UMass: Spooner, McAleavey, Weller, Millon, Manny, Hiller and others.

One could also make an argument for Sean Morris who led them to the National Championship game, but he only ranks 10 on the all time points list.

But, it seems the obvious choice would be Sal LoCascio.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Lewis yet ?

The “Old Goats” in the LaxPower days had pages and pages of stories on Lewis.

Navy won or shared 8 straight national titles in the 60s.
Lewis won 3 straight national titles, earned 3 straight attackman of the year awards, averaged just under 5 points a game in 3 years, and also won a national title in soccer.
old salt

Post by old salt »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Lewis yet ?

Lewis won 3 straight national titles, earned 3 straight attackman of the year awards, averaged just under 5 points a game in 3 years, and also won a national title in soccer.
I arrived at USNA the year after he graduated. I did see him play for Mt Washington.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1966/05/30/n ... th-a-stick

https://www.usalacrosse.com/player-profile/james-lewis

https://henryehooper.blog/witness-post-jim-lewis/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

For Loyola there have been some great players. I grew up watching all the Loyola teams from about 1988, so I cant speak too much for the guys dating back to 1940. But for my money the following guys would be in the conversation for the Hounds:

Defense- Joe Fletcher '14 / Jamie Hanford '98.
Midfield- Mark Frye '99
Attack- Pat Spencer '19

All absolutely dominant.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

old salt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:16 am

I arrived at USNA the year after he graduated. I did see him play for Mt Washington.

Lewis was so outstanding in high school that Uniondale Coach Terry McDonald had to take him out of most games early in order to keep from running up scores. At the same time, he was so small that no college coach was really interested in him, except Bilderback…
👍👍
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:37 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:16 am

Lewis was so outstanding in high school that Uniondale Coach Terry McDonald had to take him out of most games early in order to keep from running up scores. At the same time, he was so small that no college coach was really interested in him, except Bilderback…
👍👍
Jl was a first team AA IN lax and soccer. I believe he scored the only goal when Navy won? the national title in soccer.

Navy was a big beneficiary of no spring football practice in those years

He could run anyone into the ground.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

How about Grant Ament for Penn State?
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

When W&L played DI, choose one of Sam Englehart, Skip Lichtfuss, Ted Bauer or Skeet Chadwick.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

As a long-time Carolina fan, there are a lot of great players such as Tom Sears, Joey Seivold, Tom Haus, Dennis Goldstein, Billy Bitter, Marcus Holman and Chris Gray in the running but I'm going to throw out Graham Harden for consideration as the best. Harden was captain of the undefeated 1991 national championship squad. That year he was First Team All-ACC, First Team All-America, ACC Player of the Year and the Schmeisser Award winner. In 2002 he was named to the ACC 50th anniversary men's lacrosse team.
Finish Strong
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:16 am Lots of great candidates for UMass: Spooner, McAleavey, Weller, Millon, Manny, Hiller and others.

One could also make an argument for Sean Morris who led them to the National Championship game, but he only ranks 10 on the all time points list.

I always thought Zawicki was as good as Morris but both were excellent in the modern era. Didn't Zawycki (hedging my bets on spelling here..) lose a year or more to injury? Biased because I like nasty, flithy defenseman but I'd throw Jack Reid up there as well.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:16 am Lots of great candidates for UMass: Spooner, McAleavey, Weller, Millon, Manny, Hiller and others.

Brooks Sweet deserves consideration.
JHU69

Re: Best player in your schools history—Johns Hopkins (Goalie)

Post by JHU69 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:29 am It’s like choosing between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley.

Who was the best Johns Hopkins goalie of all time, Mike Federico or Larry Quinn?

There’s no wrong choice here, but I’ll give the edge to Mike Federico:

3x First-Team AA
3x Ensign C. Markland Kelly Award (Outstanding Goalie)
3x National Championship
All-Time Johns Hopkins Team
NCAA Silver Anniversary Team
National Lacrosse Hall of Fame

With apologies to the Mercedes Benz of Johns Hopkins goaliedom, Quint Kessenich.

DocBarrister
Not diminishing Federico, who I saw many times, but Quinn seemed to be Deus ex machina when the chips were down. In '85 Cuse opened 3-0 in the first. Quinn shut them out in the rest of the first and gave up only one the rest of the game. When asked if in his wildest dream he held them to 4 he said in my wildest dream I shut them out. As in 1984, Larry Quinn was named Tournament Outstanding Player. Quinn and the Hopkins' defense gave up only 21 goals over this three game tournament. Hopkins' defense allowed only one goal to Syracuse for the final three plus quarters. In the regular season Hopkins did lose one close game to UNC, but their defense kept opposing teams under 10 goals in 12 of their 14 games including an early season 8-6 win over Syracuse.
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
gymman1031

Re: Best player in your schools history—Johns Hopkins (Goalie)

Post by gymman1031 »

JHU69 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:01 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:29 am It’s like choosing between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley.

Who was the best Johns Hopkins goalie of all time, Mike Federico or Larry Quinn?

There’s no wrong choice here, but I’ll give the edge to Mike Federico:

3x First-Team AA
3x Ensign C. Markland Kelly Award (Outstanding Goalie)
3x National Championship
All-Time Johns Hopkins Team
NCAA Silver Anniversary Team
National Lacrosse Hall of Fame

With apologies to the Mercedes Benz of Johns Hopkins goaliedom, Quint Kessenich.

DocBarrister
Not diminishing Federico, who I saw many times, but Quinn seemed to be Deus ex machina when the chips were down. In '85 Cuse opened 3-0 in the first. Quinn shut them out in the rest of the first and gave up only one the rest of the game. When asked if in his wildest dream he held them to 4 he said in my wildest dream I shut them out. As in 1984, Larry Quinn was named Tournament Outstanding Player. Quinn and the Hopkins' defense gave up only 21 goals over this three game tournament. Hopkins' defense allowed only one goal to Syracuse for the final three plus quarters. In the regular season Hopkins did lose one close game to UNC, but their defense kept opposing teams under 10 goals in 12 of their 14 games including an early season 8-6 win over Syracuse.
In addition to being one of the best players, I bet Quinn also remains one of the most intense and competitive players the Hop has ever had as well.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

+1
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

1978 ... also for W&L Charlie Brown, Bob Clements, Jeff Fritz Rob Staugaitis and Jim Herbert
Seahawk wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:38 pm When W&L played DI, choose one of Sam Englehart, Skip Lichtfuss, Ted Bauer or Skeet Chadwick.
The parent, not the coach.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

molo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm Since I’ve seen Hopkins play more than any other team, I’ll take a stab at their best players at each position. I am considering only players that I have seen. No disrespect to the elder statesman, but I’m confining my picks to those who played in the time period during which I’ve followed college lax, basically from 1960 until now.
GOALIE
Larry Quinn. My bias against sitting underclassmen is reflected in my choice of this two year stater.
DEFENSE
Dave Piertromala. There have been many excellent Hopkins defensemen, but the big lefty, who could bump up to pole if needed, is the best American defenseman I’ve ever seen.
MIDFIELD
Paul Rabil. The four time AA, three times first team, was primarily an o middie who took his share of wings.
My second choice, Kyle Harrison, was superb but Rabil was the team’s best player for three years.
ATTACK
Jack Thomas, whom I didn’t see as much as my second pick, Mike O’Neil, because I lived in Charlottesville for part of his career at Hopkins.
LSM
Steve Mitchell. I wasn’t going to add special positions, but Steve effectively created the position. Before him, most teams used their fourth and fifth defensemen at pole. Mitchell, with his gb play off face-off wings, his creativity in transition, and his ability to cover the opponent’s best middie, set the standard for the position.
Hopkins guys clearly didn't understand the assignment, several of you list by position. I'll try to clarify for the ones who obviously only got in for their lacrosse skill and majored in Poly Sci. Who is the "best player in your schools history"? It's a one name answer :D
lorin

Post by lorin »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:06 pm
molo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm Since I’ve seen Hopkins play more than any other team, I’ll take a stab at their best players at each position. I am considering only players that I have seen. No disrespect to the elder statesman, but I’m confining my picks to those who played in the time period during which I’ve followed college lax, basically from 1960 until now.
GOALIE
Larry Quinn. My bias against sitting underclassmen is reflected in my choice of this two year stater.
DEFENSE
Dave Piertromala. There have been many excellent Hopkins defensemen, but the big lefty, who could bump up to pole if needed, is the best American defenseman I’ve ever seen.
MIDFIELD
Paul Rabil. The four time AA, three times first team, was primarily an o middie who took his share of wings.
My second choice, Kyle Harrison, was superb but Rabil was the team’s best player for three years.
ATTACK
Jack Thomas, whom I didn’t see as much as my second pick, Mike O’Neil, because I lived in Charlottesville for part of his career at Hopkins.
LSM
Steve Mitchell. I wasn’t going to add special positions, but Steve effectively created the position. Before him, most teams used their fourth and fifth defensemen at pole. Mitchell, with his gb play off face-off wings, his creativity in transition, and his ability to cover the opponent’s best middie, set the standard for the position.
Hopkins guys clearly didn't understand the assignment, several of you list by position. I'll try to clarify for the ones who obviously only got in for their lacrosse skill and majored in Poly Sci. Who is the "best player in your schools history"? It's a one name answer :D
Now that’s funny
molo

Post by molo »

I did name one player from the school I went to as an undergrad. Since a Hopkins fan had already named his choices by position, I did the same and then added a position. Those of us who were not STEM majors can become at times a little disobedient or creative, depending upon your perspective.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:06 pm
GOALIE
DEFENSE
MIDFIELD
ATTACK
LSM
Ha was thinking the same thing.

FL isn’t as used to the HTH like the LP folks were I guess
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:44 am For Loyola there have been some great players. I grew up watching all the Loyola teams from about 1988, so I cant speak too much for the guys dating back to 1940. But for my money the following guys would be in the conversation for the Hounds:

Defense- Joe Fletcher '14 / Jamie Hanford '98.
Midfield- Mark Frye '99
Attack- Pat Spencer '19

All absolutely dominant.
It has to be Spencer or….Josh (https://youtu.be/2fbNyyrPrco) Hawkins
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”