Atlantic 10 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Atlantic 10 2024

Post by oldbartman »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:06 pm University likes it I’m sure…

50 is about right, now add 24
If the extra 24 are full paying, HPU admin probably loves it.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Tuition at High Point is $65,675 per year.

74 players. 12.6 scholarships. How many of those kids would go to HP if they weren’t on the team?

Lacrosse seems like it could be a money maker for High Point. Give Torpey a raise.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

74 males too. Title IX requires athletic scholarships to mirror enrollment. So if it’s 60/40 female:male 60% of athletic aid should be going to Women’s sports. HP is 56/44. They need more male students
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Henpecked wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:44 pm Does anyone else think that it is insane that High Point has 74 players on its roster this year? SEVENTY FOUR!
74 is crazy. Would like to watch a practice with that many players. Wonder how many touches some players get. Even less with playing time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Turnandrake wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:47 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:44 pm Does anyone else think that it is insane that High Point has 74 players on its roster this year? SEVENTY FOUR!
74 is crazy. Would like to watch a practice with that many players. Wonder how many touches some players get. Even less with playing time.
The kids still wear their HS helmets at practice like the club circuit.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Not talked about enough... Richie Lacalandra is a huge pick up for SJU. Just stumbled across his LIU tape- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMbZL-s7hc

The scrimmage write up's have only talked about Toron Eccleston (LR/D2) replacing Tucker Brown. I think his withdrawing from OSU and for eligibility purposes, Lacalandra couldn't play in the fall (hence no write-up). I am expecting him to make some noise at SJU- I just wonder if he plays attack or mid.
laxfan13

Post by laxfan13 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:00 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:47 pm
The kids still wear their HS helmets at practice like the club circuit.
Geez, these guys must be desperate for the D-1 "status". While else would you pay that much to sit on the bench or end up on the club team. Kinda sad. Some of these guys could be good D2 or high D3 players.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 am Not talked about enough... Richie Lacalandra is a huge pick up for SJU. Just stumbled across his LIU tape- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMbZL-s7hc

The scrimmage write up's have only talked about Toron Eccleston (LR/D2) replacing Tucker Brown. I think his withdrawing from OSU and for eligibility purposes, Lacalandra couldn't play in the fall (hence no write-up). I am expecting him to make some noise at SJU- I just wonder if he plays attack or mid.
NCAA ruling is still pending. If he is eligible he will be an impact player. Elite passer paired with great finishers
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:53 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 am Not talked about enough... Richie Lacalandra is a huge pick up for SJU. Just stumbled across his LIU tape- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMbZL-s7hc

NCAA ruling is still pending. If he is eligible he will be an impact player. Elite passer paired with great finishers
Still pending? Back when I played, if you played 30% or less of a season- you can redshirt that year (if you withdraw/get injured). Says he played in 4/14 games at OSU before withdrawing - which would be right under at 28.5%.

I hope the decision is made and he's good to go by next Tuesday vs BU.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:23 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:53 pm

Still pending? Back when I played, if you played 30% or less of a season- you can redshirt that year (if you withdraw/get injured). Says he played in 4/14 games at OSU before withdrawing - which would be right under at 28.5%.

I hope the decision is made and he's good to go by next Tuesday vs BU.
NCAA wheels turn so slowly. Should know before Tuesday I would guess. He has a year for sure. Question is can he use it this year and then would he get a RS year to play in 2025
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

[/quote

I said this last week he is exactly what St Joes has been missing. A QB who can create in his own and run the offense. He don't have to play attack either he can come out of the box and invert too. Maybe they mix him attack switching him and Levi Anderson who can play midfield too. I like the big D2 kid to replace Tucker Brown as that big shooter but St Joes has tons of big shooters and finishers so Richie is perfect he has no issues feeding these guys all game. I bet he has over 40 assists this yr if he's eligible to play. He def should have 1 yr of eligibility maybe 2 but someone was saying he can play this yr even if they don't grant him a 2nd yr? He will have to wait til next yr to play his final season?
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:42 am

[/quote

I said this last week he is exactly what St Joes has been missing. A QB who can create in his own and run the offense. He don't have to play attack either he can come out of the box and invert too. Maybe they mix him attack switching him and Levi Anderson who can play midfield too. I like the big D2 kid to replace Tucker Brown as that big shooter but St Joes has tons of big shooters and finishers so Richie is perfect he has no issues feeding these guys all game. I bet he has over 40 assists this yr if he's eligible to play. He def should have 1 yr of eligibility maybe 2 but someone was saying he can play this yr even if they don't grant him a 2nd yr? He will have to wait til next yr to play his final season?
Sorry didn't realize I wrote mine with urs
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:43 am

All good! I meant it as in IL or USA Lax Mag have no write-up's on him from fall ball, preseason or in any SJU Previews, etc. I do remember your post- He definitely is as advertised. If my memory serves me correctly, he originally committed to SJU then backed out to go to OSU.

After more investigation, it looks like it's still pending because of the "4-4-4 Rule" where you transfer from one 4-year school, to another, to another without finishing your degree. Guessing he finished at LIU but not OSU since he withdrew. JT Rosselle comes to mind. He's also on his 3rd school too, but he finished at Marist, got a 1 year grad degree at UNC and now is getting another degree at Hofstra with his last year of eligibility.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:09 am

All good! I meant it as in IL or USA Lax Mag have no write-up's on him from fall ball, preseason or in any SJU Previews, etc. I do remember your post- He definitely is as advertised. If my memory serves me correctly, he originally committed to SJU then backed out to go to OSU.

After more investigation, it looks like it's still pending because of the "4-4-4 Rule" where you transfer from one 4-year school, to another, to another without finishing your degree. Guessing he finished at LIU but not OSU since he withdrew. JT Rosselle comes to mind. He's also on his 3rd school too, but he finished at Marist, got a 1 year grad degree at UNC and now is getting another degree at Hofstra with his last year of eligibility.
So if he gets the 2 yrs he can play this spring but if he only gets 1 yr he has to sit out until next spring? Man I hope he gets to play I wanna see how he mixes in with Levi Anderson, Carter Page and Matt Bohmer. Those guys are all great finishers I mean Levi can do it all but I think Richie complements them perfectly. That offense can def take a step up this yr. They also had that freshman goalie who took over midseason and was great. They lost close games to Hopkins and Penn before that goalie took over. The goalie play in those games was not good. With Richie and that goalie they can really be a suprise team this yr and if they win there conference then really suprise teams in the tournament. My nephew played with Richie at LIU so I saw him play a lot. The kid is really talented and athletic. He also has no issues feeding all game long. Also on LIU he had the top pole on him every game but with St Joes weapons he won't and if he comes out the box early in season teams might even put a shorty on him not being familiar with him. He will abuse a shorty.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 pm

So if he gets the 2 yrs he can play this spring but if he only gets 1 yr he has to sit out until next spring? Man I hope he gets to play I wanna see how he mixes in with Levi Anderson, Carter Page and Matt Bohmer. Those guys are all great finishers I mean Levi can do it all but I think Richie complements them perfectly. That offense can def take a step up this yr. They also had that freshman goalie who took over midseason and was great. They lost close games to Hopkins and Penn before that goalie took over. The goalie play in those games was not good. With Richie and that goalie they can really be a suprise team this yr and if they win there conference then really suprise teams in the tournament. My nephew played with Richie at LIU so I saw him play a lot. The kid is really talented and athletic. He also has no issues feeding all game long. Also on LIU he had the top pole on him every game but with St Joes weapons he won't and if he comes out the box early in season teams might even put a shorty on him not being familiar with him. He will abuse a shorty.
Richie is jet fuel for this offense if eligible
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

That sounds about right. If all goes well, he can have 2024 and 2025 at SJU. If it doesn't, he'll sit out this year and get his last season in 2025. Bummer that he has to jump through these hoops. Heard he's a great kid and teammate.

To be honest, he wasn't really on my radar until he decided on OSU, but after watching his tape. He can definitely ball. I don't think OSU was the best spot for him based on his style of play. OSU's offense has always seemed robotic and boring to me- feel like Richie is an "in the moment/take chances" type of player. Think he can really flourish at SJU under their system.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 am

That sounds about right. If all goes well, he can have 2024 and 2025 at SJU. If it doesn't, he'll sit out this year and get his last season in 2025. Bummer that he has to jump through these hoops. Heard he's a great kid and teammate.

To be honest, he wasn't really on my radar until he decided on OSU, but after watching his tape. He can definitely ball. I don't think OSU was the best spot for him based on his style of play. OSU's offense has always seemed robotic and boring to me- feel like Richie is an "in the moment/take chances" type of player. Think he can really flourish at SJU under their system.
💯
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 am

My nephew who played with him at LIU and trains with him in the summer time just told me he got the 2 yrs of eligibility, I hope he's right man and think he is just because the season is starting so he has to know by now. I saw a video of him on St Joes instagram with a sick behind the back pass to the new D 2 kid who scored. Richie is even better live rhen that highlight video. He didn't even put on his sick behind the back passes and goals. His stick skills are ridiculous plus he doesn't play scared he plays to win and do whatever it takes. I hope my nephew is right. I'm excited to watch them play Tuesday vs Boston.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”