Atlantic 10 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Atlantic 10 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

Predicting another competitive year? And maybe more competitors for the conference championship?
Last edited by gymman1031 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Re: CAA 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gymman1031

Re: CAA 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:00 pmduplicate
Good call! I changed the conference.
10stone5

Re: Atlantic 10 2024

Post by 10stone5 »

Not seeing much transfer activity in the A 10

so I’ll guess the overall freshmen classes are decent-good,
a lot of top players to replace seemingly across the board.

I think the A 10 is still working on their lacrosse mojo.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:43 pm Not seeing much transfer activity in the A 10

so I’ll guess the overall freshmen classes are decent-good,
a lot of top players to replace seemingly across the board.

I think the A 10 is still working on their lacrosse mojo.
Looks like St Joes is hitting it reasonably hard again pulling LaCalandria and hinting at Liam Ferris coming from Cuse plus I think 1-2 others.

Richmond doesn’t really do much. Derrek Madonna graduated from Bart and wanted to play with his younger brother Lance for a year. UMAss hasn’t been very active to date maybe grabbed a NE kid from SHU or something. HPU could be but handing seen much and don’t expect any under Raymond he’s been very adamant he doesn’t want transfers and graduate programs are limited
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

ND Duke UVA Penn St all had contributions, some more than others, from players via the transfer portal. Other than Army you could expand that to all of the final 8 teams. Difficult to compete with teams that select more than recruit AND fill gaps in their roster with transfers, unless you utilize the portal as well. It can backfire in re: culture but a transfer can be a huge upgrade. ND likely doesn’t win the NC without Fake/Conlin/Simmons. St. Joe’s will utilize the portal to fill a need. I’m sure Richmond/HP/UMass will as well. IMO Hobart at a disadvantage not utilizing the portal.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes you’ve made that clear and yet all the SJU efforts didn’t work out vs HPU in the conference semifinals. Wasn’t much of a difference between SJU and Bart this year at SJU in a really down year for Bart. Richmond net benefit not much losing Kology and only taking Madonna because his brother was there after he got his degree.

Hasn’t worked out well for Duke or UNC. Didn’t make a difference for Cuse. And on and on. There’s enough evidence of it not making a difference that it’s a highly speculative risk reward situation and one Chase Scanlon could take a coach down.

UMass didn’t do much in the portal.

I’m all for A10 schools waiving in every kid no matter how many programs those kids run through. But the best in the conference doesn’t really utilIze it. Not all of Hobarts grads who played are being accepted into their own masters programs so I know there’s kids being waived in who wouldn’t get in there. It’s like picking up nickels in front of a steamroller.
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Cheering hard for St. Bonaventure to improve. Were some big factors working against them this year tougher competition and not having their goalie and top face-off man from the year before?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:16 pm Yes you’ve made that clear and yet all the SJU efforts didn’t work out vs HPU in the conference semifinals. Wasn’t much of a difference between SJU and Bart this year at SJU in a really down year for Bart. Richmond net benefit not much losing Kology and only taking Madonna because his brother was there after he got his degree.

Hasn’t worked out well for Duke or UNC. Didn’t make a difference for Cuse. And on and on. There’s enough evidence of it not making a difference that it’s a highly speculative risk reward situation and one Chase Scanlon could take a coach down.

I’m all for A10 schools waiving in every kid no matter how many programs those kids run through. But the best in the conference doesn’t really utilIze it. Not all of Hobarts grads who played are being accepted into their own masters programs so I know there’s kids being waived in who wouldn’t get in there. It’s like picking up nickels in front of a steamroller.
Terps 2022,
Duke did just fine, the reached the Finals, Penn State,

the problem for the A 10 is the same other conferences have with transfers, with freshmen - they’re the next in line after the others.

Hopefully that changes soon enough.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:16 pm Yes you’ve made that clear and yet all the SJU efforts didn’t work out vs HPU in the conference semifinals. Wasn’t much of a difference between SJU and Bart this year at SJU in a really down year for Bart. Richmond net benefit not much losing Kology and only taking Madonna because his brother was there after he got his degree.

Terps 2022,

the problem for the A 10 is the same other conferences have with transfers, with freshmen - they’re the next in line after the others.

Sowers / Adler year? ND also last year had a bunch of transfers. Rutgers and OSU this year.

Point is it’s not a panacea and there’s as much downside as upside to team continuity and longer term implications to programs. The argument that it’s simply a negative or deficiency of strategy is, beyond being counterfactual, not even close to being evident. And it’s been insisted by a SJU guy who’s otherwise a great contributor including insisting things on the Hobart thread that aren’t based in fact or reality or even deep understanding of the institution.

If I’m at a school that will let anyone in and my roster already reflects that then sure may as well. As they say “in for a Penny in for a pound”. But to change strategy because of this Covid stretch reeks of inconsistency and other characteristics that don’t signal health externally.
See Martin, Malcolm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:36 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:35 pm

Terps 2022,

Sowers / Adler year? ND also last year had a bunch of transfers. Rutgers and OSU this year.

Point is it’s not a panacea and there’s as much downside as upside to team continuity and longer term implications to programs. The argument that it’s simply a negative or deficiency of strategy is, beyond being counterfactual, not even close to being evident. And it’s been insisted by a SJU guy who’s otherwise a great contributor including insisting things on the Hobart thread that aren’t based in fact or reality or even deep understanding of the institution.

If I’m at a school that will let anyone in and my roster already reflects that then sure may as well. As they say “in for a Penny in for a pound”. But to change strategy because of this Covid stretch reeks of inconsistency and other characteristics that don’t signal health externally.
I’m looking for the A 10, some other non top 10 teams, Delaware maybe, to go hard after the top 2025 recruits —
the teams that normally go after these types,
sell the recruits on how crowded those rosters are, how their spot may be taken by a transfer, how they’d be better off academically and athletically with an A 10 or similar school, Delaware.

That’s what I’d like to see.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LaCalandra is playing for St. Joe’s.

St. Joe’s 2024 roster is up,

https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-lacros ... sort=class
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:33 pm LaCalandra is playing for St. Joe’s.

St. Joe’s 2024 roster is up,

https://sjuhawks.com/sports/mens-lacros ... sort=class
Pretty sure St. Joes has there entire attack returning. So, LaCalandra will probably run out of the box hoping for a miss-match. Hope LaCalandra has a better go of it than he did as tOSU. Both he and Knox were a square pegs in a a round hole, trying to play with an attackman who only passed to his buds. Richie L. will have to figure out how he fits in to a unit that has been playing together for a while. BTW, SJU has him listed as a freshman. I really hope he's made more academic progress than that.... Could be an 87 year guy. To quote Animal House, "Sophomore year, 3 of the best years of my life" or there abouts. Here's to a fun '24 season.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

He is an elite passer. Scorers like playing with those type of players. He is enrolled and involved in all team activities. Unsure whether or not NCAA has made a final determination on his remaining eligibility
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Richie should really fit in well. He's exactly what St Joes needs and lacks on offense. They have big powerful guys who can shoot but no one who can create and draw slides. Richie can invert out of the box and he loves to pass so he will feed those guys giving them great looks. I bet he has a lot more assists this yr then goals. He will def score and put up a nice amount but his assists will be way up there. St Joes needs a smaller faster athletic guy they haven't had that the last few yrs. He will draw attention which will free up a guy like Levi Anderson who is an excellent player. Him feeding Carter Page in front of the net should be tough to stop. This is the final yr of that attack line together so I'm sure it's all in for St Joes. Levi Anderson passed up the PLL as he was drafted to come back for his final yr at St Joes. Even with losing Zach Cole they will be a tough team to beat this yr. Taht freshman goalie came on strong for them last yr so he should be very good this yr.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Levi Anderson was drafted by NLL’s Saskatchewan (formerly Edmonton), he didn’t go as high as I thought he would, where he will play with a couple of locals Robert Church and Zach Manns out of Drexel.
A good situation for Anderson as the team is rebuilding from that stretch where they won a number of titles, having just traded Mark Matthews.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Does anyone else think that it is insane that High Point has 74 players on its roster this year? SEVENTY FOUR!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’ve had exceptionally large freshmen incoming classes the past several years.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Guess Torpey likes lots of practice players.... :? Only 10 players on the field. Maybe he plans to run a lot of lines??
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

University likes it I’m sure…

50 is about right, now add 24

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”