Re: Atlantic 10 2024

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DoubleD wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:24 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:09 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:43 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 am Not talked about enough... Richie Lacalandra is a huge pick up for SJU. Just stumbled across his LIU tape- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMbZL-s7hc

The scrimmage write up's have only talked about Toron Eccleston (LR/D2) replacing Tucker Brown. I think his withdrawing from OSU and for eligibility purposes, Lacalandra couldn't play in the fall (hence no write-up). I am expecting him to make some noise at SJU- I just wonder if he plays attack or mid.
I said this last week he is exactly what St Joes has been missing. A QB who can create in his own and run the offense. He don't have to play attack either he can come out of the box and invert too. Maybe they mix him attack switching him and Levi Anderson who can play midfield too. I like the big D2 kid to replace Tucker Brown as that big shooter but St Joes has tons of big shooters and finishers so Richie is perfect he has no issues feeding these guys all game. I bet he has over 40 assists this yr if he's eligible to play. He def should have 1 yr of eligibility maybe 2 but someone was saying he can play this yr even if they don't grant him a 2nd yr? He will have to wait til next yr to play his final season?
Sorry didn't realize I wrote mine with urs
All good! I meant it as in IL or USA Lax Mag have no write-up's on him from fall ball, preseason or in any SJU Previews, etc. I do remember your post- He definitely is as advertised. If my memory serves me correctly, he originally committed to SJU then backed out to go to OSU.

After more investigation, it looks like it's still pending because of the "4-4-4 Rule" where you transfer from one 4-year school, to another, to another without finishing your degree. Guessing he finished at LIU but not OSU since he withdrew. JT Rosselle comes to mind. He's also on his 3rd school too, but he finished at Marist, got a 1 year grad degree at UNC and now is getting another degree at Hofstra with his last year of eligibility.
So if he gets the 2 yrs he can play this spring but if he only gets 1 yr he has to sit out until next spring? Man I hope he gets to play I wanna see how he mixes in with Levi Anderson, Carter Page and Matt Bohmer. Those guys are all great finishers I mean Levi can do it all but I think Richie complements them perfectly. That offense can def take a step up this yr. They also had that freshman goalie who took over midseason and was great. They lost close games to Hopkins and Penn before that goalie took over. The goalie play in those games was not good. With Richie and that goalie they can really be a suprise team this yr and if they win there conference then really suprise teams in the tournament. My nephew played with Richie at LIU so I saw him play a lot. The kid is really talented and athletic. He also has no issues feeding all game long. Also on LIU he had the top pole on him every game but with St Joes weapons he won't and if he comes out the box early in season teams might even put a shorty on him not being familiar with him. He will abuse a shorty.
That sounds about right. If all goes well, he can have 2024 and 2025 at SJU. If it doesn't, he'll sit out this year and get his last season in 2025. Bummer that he has to jump through these hoops. Heard he's a great kid and teammate.

To be honest, he wasn't really on my radar until he decided on OSU, but after watching his tape. He can definitely ball. I don't think OSU was the best spot for him based on his style of play. OSU's offense has always seemed robotic and boring to me- feel like Richie is an "in the moment/take chances" type of player. Think he can really flourish at SJU under their system.
My nephew who played with him at LIU and trains with him in the summer time just told me he got the 2 yrs of eligibility, I hope he's right man and think he is just because the season is starting so he has to know by now. I saw a video of him on St Joes instagram with a sick behind the back pass to the new D 2 kid who scored. Richie is even better live rhen that highlight video. He didn't even put on his sick behind the back passes and goals. His stick skills are ridiculous plus he doesn't play scared he plays to win and do whatever it takes. I hope my nephew is right. I'm excited to watch them play Tuesday vs Boston.
Wow!! That's awesome. Pumped for this Tuesday game...
Also, this is probably terrible news for the rest of the A10. SJU is STACKED.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:06 pm
DoubleD wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:24 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:29 am
DoubleD wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:46 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:09 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:21 am Not talked about enough... Richie Lacalandra is a huge pick up for SJU. Just stumbled across his LIU tape- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsMbZL-s7hc

The scrimmage write up's have only talked about Toron Eccleston (LR/D2) replacing Tucker Brown. I think his withdrawing from OSU and for eligibility purposes, Lacalandra couldn't play in the fall (hence no write-up). I am expecting him to make some noise at SJU- I just wonder if he plays attack or mid.
I said this last week he is exactly what St Joes has been missing. A QB who can create in his own and run the offense. He don't have to play attack either he can come out of the box and invert too. Maybe they mix him attack switching him and Levi Anderson who can play midfield too. I like the big D2 kid to replace Tucker Brown as that big shooter but St Joes has tons of big shooters and finishers so Richie is perfect he has no issues feeding these guys all game. I bet he has over 40 assists this yr if he's eligible to play. He def should have 1 yr of eligibility maybe 2 but someone was saying he can play this yr even if they don't grant him a 2nd yr? He will have to wait til next yr to play his final season?
Sorry didn't realize I wrote mine with urs
All good! I meant it as in IL or USA Lax Mag have no write-up's on him from fall ball, preseason or in any SJU Previews, etc. I do remember your post- He definitely is as advertised. If my memory serves me correctly, he originally committed to SJU then backed out to go to OSU.

After more investigation, it looks like it's still pending because of the "4-4-4 Rule" where you transfer from one 4-year school, to another, to another without finishing your degree. Guessing he finished at LIU but not OSU since he withdrew. JT Rosselle comes to mind. He's also on his 3rd school too, but he finished at Marist, got a 1 year grad degree at UNC and now is getting another degree at Hofstra with his last year of eligibility.
So if he gets the 2 yrs he can play this spring but if he only gets 1 yr he has to sit out until next spring? Man I hope he gets to play I wanna see how he mixes in with Levi Anderson, Carter Page and Matt Bohmer. Those guys are all great finishers I mean Levi can do it all but I think Richie complements them perfectly. That offense can def take a step up this yr. They also had that freshman goalie who took over midseason and was great. They lost close games to Hopkins and Penn before that goalie took over. The goalie play in those games was not good. With Richie and that goalie they can really be a suprise team this yr and if they win there conference then really suprise teams in the tournament. My nephew played with Richie at LIU so I saw him play a lot. The kid is really talented and athletic. He also has no issues feeding all game long. Also on LIU he had the top pole on him every game but with St Joes weapons he won't and if he comes out the box early in season teams might even put a shorty on him not being familiar with him. He will abuse a shorty.
That sounds about right. If all goes well, he can have 2024 and 2025 at SJU. If it doesn't, he'll sit out this year and get his last season in 2025. Bummer that he has to jump through these hoops. Heard he's a great kid and teammate.

To be honest, he wasn't really on my radar until he decided on OSU, but after watching his tape. He can definitely ball. I don't think OSU was the best spot for him based on his style of play. OSU's offense has always seemed robotic and boring to me- feel like Richie is an "in the moment/take chances" type of player. Think he can really flourish at SJU under their system.
My nephew who played with him at LIU and trains with him in the summer time just told me he got the 2 yrs of eligibility, I hope he's right man and think he is just because the season is starting so he has to know by now. I saw a video of him on St Joes instagram with a sick behind the back pass to the new D 2 kid who scored. Richie is even better live rhen that highlight video. He didn't even put on his sick behind the back passes and goals. His stick skills are ridiculous plus he doesn't play scared he plays to win and do whatever it takes. I hope my nephew is right. I'm excited to watch them play Tuesday vs Boston.
Wow!! That's awesome. Pumped for this Tuesday game...
Also, this is probably terrible news for the rest of the A10. SJU is STACKED.
https://x.com/sjuhawks_mlax/status/1720 ... uNQg4trx5Q
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

https://x.com/sjuhawks_mlax/status/1720 ... uNQg4trx5Q

Richie on St Joes feeding the new big D2 kid.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Saint Joseph’s Boston University game,
that’s supposed to be covered on BUs Youtube channel today.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:48 am Saint Joseph’s Boston University game,
St. Joe's is expecting a lot from 5th year players Levi Anderson and Matt Bohmer. They didn't get it tonight. Combined they were 0-10 shooting with six turnovers. I have a feeling they will turn it around. Too much senior/graduate talent on that team to put up just 10 goals.

Richie LeCalandra nowhere to be found. Is he cleared to play this year?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:31 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:48 am Saint Joseph’s Boston University game,
St. Joe's is expecting a lot from 5th year players Levi Anderson and Matt Bohmer. They didn't get it tonight. Combined they were 0-10 shooting with six turnovers. I have a feeling they will turn it around. Too much senior/graduate talent on that team to put up just 10 goals.

Richie LeCalandra nowhere to be found. Is he cleared to play this year?
Laxbuck says its imminent, he’ll be cleared - possibly for 2 years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaCalamdria doesn’t do anything for 33% save rate and 50% FO, which is fine but not what they have been working with for 3-4yrs by 10-20yrs per game (25 Fo ina. Game that’s 3-5 extra possessions)
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It gives SJU one more offensive threat, one more horse,
which they could use.

The A-10 is competing now with the top tier conferences, the Patriot League being one - and, especially if the Hens were to leave the CAA and join the A-10 which would be my guess.

BU is projected as number two in the Patriot - and if you’ve followed them, Lehigh, Loyola this weekend - you can see the talent gap vis the A-10 teams.

Course, its just year two.

Stacking talent is the name of the game these days.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

No Lacalandra. Leaves me worried that he'll not be eligible this season.

Toron Eccleston D2/LR Transfer's had 5 goals on the day. He scored the game's first goal within the first minute of the game. Looks like starters at attack were Eccleston, Carter Paige, and Levi Anderson. Bohmer ran first midfield. Although, there were times where Bohmer was at attack and Anderson was coming out of the box. Looks like they're still trying to figure out what piece fits where.

Faceoffs leaves me worried... Tygh was not as dominant as I expected him to be after transferring from UMD. If he doesn't win a pinch and pop, I have little faith that he'll pick up a tough and/or contested GB. Maybe sophomore Conor Trant can help him out. He went 61% last year as Zach Cole's understudy, but only took 21 faceoffs in 2023.

Need Levi Anderson to hit less pipes and more back of net. Same thing for Matt Bohmer. Levi Verch is LEGIT- 6 CT's and 8 GB's, made plays all over the field while taking f/o wings and guarding BU's top dog. Fix some of the silly mistakes and continue to build chemistry and they'll be in a good spot at the end of the regular season. Duke up next 2/17 in Durham, that'll be an even bigger test.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:31 am It gives SJU one more offensive threat, one more horse,
which they could use.

The A-10 is competing now with the top tier conferences, the Patriot League being one - and, especially if the Hens were to leave the CAA and join the A-10 which would be my guess.

BU is projected as number two in the Patriot - and if you’ve followed them, Lehigh, Loyola this weekend - you can see the talent gap vis the A-10 teams.

Yeah talent is talent and don’t want to be a downer but after a page long longest for SJU one has to point out they play aggressive and fast and looses including with the ball and try to wear teams down. Losing 3-7 possessions a game at faceoff from the last four years plus integrating all sorts of new players (1/3-1/2 the offense) means more TOs at a time they need to learn to value possession. LaCalandria doesn’t solve the style/personnel mismatch in that regard to have a shaky goalie and 50% at FO is a reversal of the norm for these kids for years.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 am No Lacalandra. Leaves me worried that he'll not be eligible this season.

Toron Eccleston D2/LR Transfer's had 5 goals on the day. He scored the game's first goal within the first minute of the game. Looks like starters at attack were Eccleston, Carter Paige, and Levi Anderson. Bohmer ran first midfield. Although, there were times where Bohmer was at attack and Anderson was coming out of the box. Looks like they're still trying to figure out what piece fits where.

Faceoffs leaves me worried... Tygh was not as dominant as I expected him to be after transferring from UMD. If he doesn't win a pinch and pop, I have little faith that he'll pick up a tough and/or contested GB. Maybe sophomore Conor Trant can help him out. He went 61% last year as Zach Cole's understudy, but only took 21 faceoffs in 2023.

Need Levi Anderson to hit less pipes and more back of net. Same thing for Matt Bohmer. Levi Verch is LEGIT- 6 CT's and 8 GB's, made plays all over the field while taking f/o wings and guarding BU's top dog. Fix some of the silly mistakes and continue to build chemistry and they'll be in a good spot at the end of the regular season. Duke up next 2/17 in Durham, that'll be an even bigger test.
You know tyghs on his third stop now right.
See Martin, Malcolm
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:27 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 am No Lacalandra. Leaves me worried that he'll not be eligible this season.

Oh yeah, I forget that he had a stop in Charlottesville. 2020 covid year and 2021. Must be tough to go from backing up Petey, and then transfer into a role where you're backing up Weirman. Looks like he took a bunch of faceoff's in 2022 (44/85) and only took 8 last year for MD... winning two. Maybe still knocking off the rust with SJU, game experience will do him justice.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:04 pm

Oh yeah, I forget that he had a stop in Charlottesville. 2020 covid year and 2021. Must be tough to go from backing up Petey, and then transfer into a role where you're backing up Weirman. Looks like he took a bunch of faceoff's in 2022 (44/85) and only took 8 last year for MD... winning two. Maybe still knocking off the rust with SJU, game experience will do him justice.
While he could be good he may not be better than replacement rate for D1. We just don’t know. If he’s sub 54% on the season the team is going to have to adjust in game strategy heavily from what they’ve done for a while now. It’s not just fantasy lacrosse here.
See Martin, Malcolm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:31 am It gives SJU one more offensive threat, one more horse,
which they could use.

Yeah talent is talent and don’t want to be a downer but after a page long longest for SJU one has to point out they play aggressive and fast and looses including with the ball and try to wear teams down. Losing 3-7 possessions a game at faceoff from the last four years plus integrating all sorts of new players (1/3-1/2 the offense) means more TOs at a time they need to learn to value possession. LaCalandria doesn’t solve the style/personnel mismatch in that regard to have a shaky goalie and 50% at FO is a reversal of the norm for these kids for years.
And also,

I’m really not just talking about the Hawks either.

I’m harping on my usual harp, which is the continuing arms battle among the top tier conferences and the difficulty A-10 teams will have keeping up in the arms race.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:32 pm
which they could use.

And also,

I’m harping on my usual harp, which is the continuing arms battle among the top tier conferences and the difficulty A-10 teams will have keeping up in the arms race.
It comes down to what recruits/players want their college experience to be. There are more and more talented players. Not all get rated 4 or 5 stars by IL. Will they be content to say they went to Cuse, Duke, ND, UVA, Michigan, PSU, etc etc to sit on the bench and say they were on a team that went to the semifinals or even the finals? Or will they say "screw that! I want to PLAY lacrosse in college"? This may help the A-10. PL and BE going forward. I don't think there is anyone content to sit on the bench. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. I hope not.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:02 pm

While he could be good he may not be better than replacement rate for D1. We just don’t know. If he’s sub 54% on the season the team is going to have to adjust in game strategy heavily from what they’ve done for a while now. It’s not just fantasy lacrosse here.
They seemed to adjust well as possessions were
SJU 46
BU 38
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:14 pm
which they could use.

And also,

It comes down to what recruits/players want their college experience to be. There are more and more talented players. Not all get rated 4 or 5 stars by IL. Will they be content to say they went to Cuse, Duke, ND, UVA, Michigan, PSU, etc etc to sit on the bench and say they were on a team that went to the semifinals or even the finals? Or will they say "screw that! I want to PLAY lacrosse in college"? This may help the A-10. PL and BE going forward. I don't think there is anyone content to sit on the bench. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. I hope not.
I can see the above scenario(s) playing out.

Look at the past couple years,
you have Towson and Loyola - to point out a couple examples,
pulling in 5 star freshmen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:32 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:02 pm

They seemed to adjust well as possessions were
SJU 46
BU 38
13/28 at FO. Possessions were high because BU couldn’t clear and threw the ball away a ton.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:56 am
oldbartman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:14 pm
which they could use.

And also,

I can see the above scenario(s) playing out.

Look at the past couple years,
you have Towson and Loyola - to point out a couple examples,
pulling in 5 star freshmen.
Loyola and Towson have FFs under their belts from before kids in college were born. (Give or take using Towsons 2001). Towson has also had the benefit of being the mid Atlantic home for transfers who aren’t happy or successful where they are at.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Since this is bold prediction land here’s a league prediction.

A10 ROY will be a kid from Hobart on attack despite the team returning 9/11 top scorers. Completely under the radar but absent injury folks will see.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”