MIAA "A" Conference 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
Finster

Re: MIAA "A" Conference 2024

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:13 am
Finster wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:29 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Boys Latin beat St Thomas Aquinas of Florida 11-5. STA has great athletes. I’m sure BL was surprised some.

I notice that the MIAA’s St Paul’s is playing Torrey Pines and St Ignatius Prep this week, in California. Man times change, lol; anyone’s high school ever traveled cross country? Did they charter??

In any event, St Igbatius has a great team this year and will be revved to play the St Paul’s boys. I heard from my buddies in Maryland however that this could be St Paul’s best team in over a decade. I’ll be interested seeing final scores. Good luck to all!
Yes, seems a little crazy to go to California to get good competition, but the school and its parents do support travel...and it's a spring break trip, just a bit more expensive one! (I very much doubt charter ;) )

I hadn't heard that this might be their best team in a decade, but it's certainly possible. Gotta go back aways to get to a team that challenged for #1 in MIAA, if I recall correctly (might not!)...I know their last championship was 2010.

They just beat Landon 11-10; does anyone know whether they cleaned up in the four scrimmages?

I think I’m going to inquire about the charter possibility. 😂

I’ve got a few friends with deep ties to the school. They assure me this is SP’s year. I don’t know if they’re being objective though. I’ll tell you the game against St Ignatius will not be easy; that’s another squad which has a lot of great talent. Don’t underestimate California lacrosse.
not me, my son played with multiple CA players in college.
Two from St. Ignatius Prep, one was 4X All-Ivy, 1X AA. All solid players.

And if I'm not mistaken, St Ignatius Prep has traveled east before and upset top teams. Can't really call it an upset anymore as they're a known powerhouse. Torrey Pines is another excellent program...there are several now that can challenge top east coast teams year after year.

As an MIAA 'homer', I'll be rooting for St. Paul's but it would surprise me if they came back with a split or even 0-2.

Indeed. St Ignatius travels in April to the east coast to play lawrenceville (#1 preseason nationally) and Chaminade. I assume if they’re scheduling those two, the coach thinks he has a very good team.

Looking forward to seeing what St Paul’s does versus them.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

I got a glimpse of St P against Landon. They are playing a bunch of freshmen which is generally not the formula for winning the MIAA A conference. However, next year’s team might be different. Kudos to their goalie who made a few fantastic saves at crunch time to preserve the win.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:34 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:57 am Boys Latin beat St Thomas Aquinas of Florida 11-5. STA has great athletes. I’m sure BL was surprised some.

I notice that the MIAA’s St Paul’s is playing Torrey Pines and St Ignatius Prep this week, in California. Man times change, lol; anyone’s high school ever traveled cross country? Did they charter??

In any event, St Igbatius has a great team this year and will be revved to play the St Paul’s boys. I heard from my buddies in Maryland however that this could be St Paul’s best team in over a decade. I’ll be interested seeing final scores. Good luck to all!
Yes, seems a little crazy to go to California to get good competition, but the school and its parents do support travel...and it's a spring break trip, just a bit more expensive one! (I very much doubt charter ;) )

I hadn't heard that this might be their best team in a decade, but it's certainly possible. Gotta go back aways to get to a team that challenged for #1 in MIAA, if I recall correctly (might not!)...I know their last championship was 2010.

They just beat Landon 11-10; does anyone know whether they cleaned up in the four scrimmages?

I’ve got a few friends with deep ties to the school. They assure me this is SP’s year. I don’t know if they’re being objective though. I’ll tell you the game against St Ignatius will not be easy; that’s another squad which has a lot of great talent. Don’t underestimate California lacrosse.

And if I'm not mistaken, St Ignatius Prep has traveled east before and upset top teams. Can't really call it an upset anymore as they're a known powerhouse. Torrey Pines is another excellent program...there are several now that can challenge top east coast teams year after year.

As an MIAA 'homer', I'll be rooting for St. Paul's but it would surprise me if they came back with a split or even 0-2.

Indeed. St Ignatius travels in April to the east coast to play lawrenceville (#1 preseason nationally) and Chaminade. I assume if they’re scheduling those two, the coach thinks he has a very good team.

Just to be clear, I mistyped...I meant it would NOT surprise me if they came back with a split or even 0-2. I've corrected my original post.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:40 pm
Finster wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:34 pm

Just to be clear, I mistyped...I meant it would NOT surprise me if they came back with a split or even 0-2. I've corrected my original post.

Roger that.

If the other poster is correct, you might be correct. I’ll see if my SP friends are on to something, that this is their best team in a long while.

I have noticed that the MIAA has mostly been BL, Calvert Hall, and McDonogh for a while, when the lacrosse wealth seemed more spread out there a few decades ago.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

On paper, this will be SP's best team in a while.
Whether that is enough to make the final four is another question.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Mcdonogh beat St Thomas Aquinas 15-5

Boys Latin beat St Andrews 19-9

Both scores impress me as both Florida schools have very good athletes and also good lacrosse players.

(this board needs more miaa folks posting; I don’t know the schools like you folks)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:46 am Mcdonogh beat St Thomas Aquinas 15-5

Both scores impress me as both Florida schools have very good athletes and also good lacrosse players.

(this board needs more miaa folks posting; I don’t know the schools like you folks)
I believe that Gilman beat Norfolk Academy 14-3 yesterday. I would think their next game against St. John’s, last year’s WCAC champion, will be an uphill climb. BL beat them by only 3 and I expect BL to be stronger than Gilman again this year.

I don’t recall the last time a Florida team beat any of the top MIAA programs though I agree that there are some tremendous players coming out of Florida. Someone more current may give us examples of wins by Florida teams.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:46 am

I believe that Gilman beat Norfolk Academy 14-3 yesterday. I would think their next game against St. John’s, last year’s WCAC champion, will be an uphill climb. BL beat them by only 3 and I expect BL to be stronger than Gilman again this year.

I don’t recall the last time a Florida team beat any of the top MIAA programs though I agree that there are some tremendous players coming out of Florida. Someone more current may give us examples of wins by Florida teams.

STA gave BL fits in ‘22, losing 10-6. Same type of score versus mcdonogh in ‘18.

The biggest problem the Florida teams face is depth; whereas an MIAA team is solid at all positions and generally have capable second strings, the best Florida programs are likely to have at least one weakness at the starter positions and very likely to not have solid backups for injuries and second strings.

STA will almost always have a few incredible athletes whose lacrosse IQ is raw. Their football teams are normally excellent.
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

BL beat St. John's 12-4. St. John's number one ranked attackman is out for the season and they lost a lot to graduation. SJC will likely finish behind PVI and Gonzaga in the WCAC this year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MPSSAAlaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:32 am

BL beat St. John's 12-4. St. John's number one ranked attackman is out for the season and they lost a lot to graduation. SJC will likely finish behind PVI and Gonzaga in the WCAC this year.
Yes, my mistake, BL won 12-4...perhaps I was looking at a different year or something, but you are correct.
Just looked at 2023 and they beat BL by 3 early in year.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

for those who are bored....

St Pauls vs. Torrey Pines is live at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwySjeDsdlw

Torrey Pines is up 3-2, but St Pauls is looking great!
3rdPersonPlural

Torrey Pines up 5-2 at half, but both teams are throwing the ball away more than teams this good should.
3rdPersonPlural

9-9 with 2 minutes left.

OOH! Now StP is up 10-9
3rdPersonPlural

StP won 11-10 in OT. TP looked like a top shelf mid Atlantic team as did StP. Both teams should be proud!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

TP is no slouch. Most of their team plays for WC Stars and they have multiple commits to schools like JHU, Rutgers, UMASS and Army.
Finster

Post by Finster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:23 am TP is no slouch. Most of their team plays for WC Stars and they have multiple commits to schools like JHU, Rutgers, UMASS and Army.

Torrey Pines’ ‘prize’ for losing last night is they get to play St Ignatius this evening. Now that’s tough scheduling. Let’s see how they do. I looked at Torrey Pines results season to date; they were annihilating the competition, so it could be that TP has an incredible team this year.

St Paul’s, coming all the way from the East Coast, gets a one day reprieve before marching up with St Ignatius on Saturday.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

All of these A-league schools don't really care who they play. Yes they want to win every game, but they will schedule anyone, anywhere, anytime. All with the main goal of getting ready for conference play. It's a really fun mindset.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Two large HS games yesterday:

Calvert Hall lost to Lawrenceville 14-12. The L-Ville/Boy's Latin game on 3-23 looms large for both.

St. Ignatius put a beat down on Torrey Pines 14-4 St. Paul's has its work cut out for them today versus SI.
3rdPersonPlural

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:40 am Two large HS games yesterday:

Calvert Hall lost to Lawrenceville 14-12. The L-Ville/Boy's Latin game on 3-23 looms large for both.

St. Ignatius put a beat down on Torrey Pines 14-4 St. Paul's has its work cut out for them today versus SI.
The game is on tape, for future St Iggy opponents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7G54W6h2w St. I took control right away and basically put their scrubs in for the 4th quarter who still beat the exhausted TP first team 4-1. It seems St. I is deep as well.

My impression is that St I is strong up the middle again. Their FOGO rarely lost to the Torrey Pines crew that got the better of the St. Pauls crew. Their Goalie stood on his head all game.

The St. I defense is big, fast, and, if I say so myself, mean. Torrey attackers wanted no part of ground balls by the 3rd quarter.

The St I offense is nothing special, but they all feed and shoot and cut, and they all see the open shooter like a well schooled D1 team.

The good news is that St. Paul's team got to scout theit tomorrow (today, now) opponent but I doubt it will help much
Finster

Post by Finster »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:40 am Two large HS games yesterday:

The game is on tape, for future St Iggy opponents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW7G54W6h2w St. I took control right away and basically put their scrubs in for the 4th quarter who still beat the exhausted TP first team 4-1. It seems St. I is deep as well.

My impression is that St I is strong up the middle again. Their FOGO rarely lost to the Torrey Pines crew that got the better of the St. Pauls crew. Their Goalie stood on his head all game.

The St. I defense is big, fast, and, if I say so myself, mean. Torrey attackers wanted no part of ground balls by the 3rd quarter.

The St I offense is nothing special, but they all feed and shoot and cut, and they all see the open shooter like a well schooled D1 team.

The good news is that St. Paul's team got to scout theit tomorrow (today, now) opponent but I doubt it will help much

On April 2, SI plays at Lawrenceville, then on 4-4, at Chaminade. If I can swing a trip to the New York area those days, I’m definitely coming to see one of those games.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”