Lacrosse’s Pinnacle is Memorial Day, not Pro

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Lacrosse’s Pinnacle is Memorial Day, not Pro

Post by Finster »

I just can’t get into professional lacrosse; not in person nor on television.

I’ve got friends who have played it, now I know parents with sons playing, but I simply don’t feel it. I’m happy for the leagues; am I the only lacrosse junkie who has zero feeling about the professional leagues?

Memorial Day championship weekend is it for me. I don’t really care about summer club ball for high school kids either. Crown the D1-2-3 champs, and I exhale for three to four months.

For me, the entire lacrosse schedule ends on Memorial Day. It begins again, tepidly, with Fall ball.

I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts. If you’ve found a way to get into professional lacrosse, let me know what I’m missing. There are good people playing and managing, and I feel some remorse I’m not supporting these folks.
wgdsr

Re: Lacrosse’s Pinnacle is Memorial Day, not Pro

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:35 pm I just can’t get into professional lacrosse; not in person nor on television.

I’ve got friends who have played it, now I know parents with sons playing, but I simply don’t feel it. I’m happy for the leagues; am I the only lacrosse junkie who has zero feeling about the professional leagues?

Memorial Day championship weekend is it for me. I don’t really care about summer club ball for high school kids either. Crown the D1-2-3 champs, and I exhale for three to four months.

For me, the entire lacrosse schedule ends on Memorial Day. It begins again, tepidly, with Fall ball.

I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts. If you’ve found a way to get into professional lacrosse, let me know what I’m missing. There are good people playing and managing, and I feel some remorse I’m not supporting these folks.
social media's a little entertaining and getting better:
https://twitter.com/PremierLacrosse/sta ... ttn8Q&s=19
af.health

Post by af.health »

20000 expected tonight in buffalo tonight for the NLL finals. Seems legit to me.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:35 pm I just can’t get into professional lacrosse; not in person nor on television.

PLL is ok.

I absolutely cannot get interested in the NLL. I know it’s big in Canada, but I cannot get my head around the goalies in the weird fat suits dragging the heads of their lacrosse sticks on the carpet … it’s a bizarre visual that makes the NLL look more like a gimmick rather than a real sport.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Non-stop scholastic lacrosse action from late-January through Memorial Day is like a long Christmas for me. It is a ton of fun. But any more is a bit too much.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Box lacrosse in the mid Atlantic states goes back to the late 60s.

The original Wings packed them in, and had current hockey players playing lacrosse.

The second version of the Wings drew crowds of 10,000, 14,000,
the NLL brought in NCAA players locally, from Hopkins, Syracuse.

The Baltimore teams didn’t do nearly as well.

Wayne Gretsky bought a piece of a team.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:52 pm

PLL is ok.

I absolutely cannot get interested in the NLL. I know it’s big in Canada, but I cannot get my head around the goalies in the weird fat suits dragging the heads of their lacrosse sticks on the carpet … it’s a bizarre visual that makes the NLL look more like a gimmick rather than a real sport.

DocBarrister
Ha! Those “goalie fat suits” might be the weirdest/goofiest look in professional sports — I’ve wondered when the broader internet would “meme-ify” them. (Obviously I’m glad the goalies are well protected; they are just visually rather arresting.)

Re: the original point, de gustibus non est disputandum. I’m in your camp, finster — the pro game (NLL or PLL) just is not interesting to me at this point. But I think the increasing interest in the pro game is a good thing both in popularizing the sport and in giving a bigger spotlight to college lacrosse, which of course I do follow closely. I’m happy for those whose “lacrosse itch” can get scratched by the pro play but my existing pro sports allegiances are boringly old-school (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA).
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Convince the Saudis it’s another sportswashing opportunity. Money and exposure will follow.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The current NLL is up to 15 teams,

the New York teams have done better than anyone,

if you follow Canadian players from Junior B box through college, then of course the NLL is the next natural progression.

And you can follow your old college guys, for some of them, for 10-15 years - a lot of the Canadian box players also end up on Team Canada for the World Games —

— for my money the best lacrosse you’ll see, Team Canada v
Team USA in the every 4 years World Games (field lacrosse).

World Games are June 21 – July 1 this year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bazilli talent on the field. 1st half in the books, garnsey has been going off with hilight after hilight and finster your boy reaper already chipping in a couple.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:29 pm Box lacrosse in the mid Atlantic states goes back to the late 60s.

The original Wings packed them in, and had current hockey players playing lacrosse.

The second version of the Wings drew crowds of 10,000, 14,000,
the NLL brought in NCAA players locally, from Hopkins, Syracuse.

The Baltimore teams didn’t do nearly as well.

Wayne Gretsky bought a piece of a team.
middle wings, and rochacha and buffalo were awesome environments. tractor pull crowds and audio. bigger mix of american players to go with canucks in those years, hit the postgame together after beating each other up. lotta fun, good times.

goalies need that michelin man or there'd be 50+ goals. made a need for much better shooting!

as for b'more... the dundalk folks probably had miaa in their minds. still, a bunch of diehards.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

The problem I have with the PLL is that it is virtually impossible to develop a rooting interest. How do you find a team to root for? It's a traveling road show with rotating rosters. I can't watch any sport without a strong rooting interest. Are there lax fans who are diehard "Redwoods" fans? And if so, why? As a college lax fan, the players on the college team you root for are spread among various teams. It just doesn't work for me. I have no more than a passing interest in the PLL.

The NLL is a different sport.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

I do not think anyone would disagree with you that College Lacrosse and especially Memorial Day Weekend are the pinnacles of the sport.

Pro lacrosse is better than no lacrosse. Although it lacks the schematics, chemistry, and overall team conditioning. You are watching some of the best of the best on high quality streams. Sucks Carc and Q are on every game though. I think it'll get better with them implementing the host cities, but until it pays professional sport wages- it'll continue to be a highly skilled beer league.

The NLL is the best version of pro lacrosse that we have, and has been for awhile.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can't get into the PLL either, NLL much more so. Thanks for the reminder would have forgot about the game tonight.
World Indoor Tournament was held here (at the Rez) a few years back, fantastic competition, was shocked at how good the rest of the world had gotten. Easier to get good at box, much more forgiveness in that game. See some fantastic stuff in the NLL, lot of flying around in that, crazy good passing and shooting.
10stone5

World Lacrosse Games

Post by 10stone5 »

The 2023 World Lacrosse Men’s Championship will take place in San Diego, California, USA, from June 21, 2023, to July 1, 2023. Team Canada opens the action against the United States on June 21 at Snapdragon Stadium at 7 p.m. PT.
Final Team Canada team announced, the final Team US has been posted as well,

https://www.lacrosse.ca/article/83936
10stone5

Re: World Lacrosse Games

Post by 10stone5 »

Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I watch all the PLL games either in person or on tv/computer. The PLL is a pretty compelling product with the level of play. I do agree that Mem Day weekend is the pinnacle (I was in attendance this year), but the PLL is a nice bridge to get me almost to hockey season.
af.health

Post by af.health »

why is Connor Fields on the Canadian roster?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

He has a dual citizenship and decided to take his chances with Team Canada ?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:53 pm He has a dual citizenship and decided to take his chances with Team Canada ?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -box/51085

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”