York 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2024

Post by DeepPocket »

100% AQ or bust. Get the psyche right, and ruin someone’s tournament dreams early.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MacAttack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:59 pm Really not sure what to say or think after this one. That was one of the flattest offensive performances I’ve seen out of this team in a long time. Bad games happen, but this offensive group needs to dig deep and decide if they still have the fire to back up the winning tradition that is York Lacrosse. Efforts like that against mediocore teams at best will not get it done.
hard to figure out. is it the players not performing? is it york missing the 4 offensive players that transferred out. is the new offensive coach in over his head ? is it the head coach? what ever it is, this team has no consistency or rhythm. seems like there is a different lineup each week. players being swapped out of early in the game. players that never saw any time, getting starts. it doesn’t seem like the coaches have any faith in the offense. i will never understand why this team doesn’t start the 6 best players. ( i say this because starters come off the field for the emo).

i think york is much better then their record. i still think most teams 4-20 are pretty even. if york can win the MAC, they can upset almost anyone.
but first things first, the coaching staff needs to make a decision on who the 8 or 9 top offense players are on this team and stick with them.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I think they are missing Drenner
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Asgot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:53 pm I think they are missing Drenner
i have to agree here. offense doesn’t seem to have a plan. lots of 1v1. inconsistent lineups that never give the players a change to get familiar with each other. which leads to little passing and lots of 1v1. defense (and coaching) don’t seem to have any confidence with the offense considering they moved and Dmiddie to offense and he is leading the team in goals.
i would be curious how many players jump right from graduation to lead coordinator in less then a season, and have success. it has to be hard to change from friend/teammate, to coach. how would he tell the grad kids to make adjustments? would they listen?
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am
i have to agree here. offense doesn’t seem to have a plan. lots of 1v1. inconsistent lineups that never give the players a change to get familiar with each other. which leads to little passing and lots of 1v1. defense (and coaching) don’t seem to have any confidence with the offense considering they moved and Dmiddie to offense and he is leading the team in goals.
i would be curious how many players jump right from graduation to lead coordinator in less then a season, and have success. it has to be hard to change from friend/teammate, to coach. how would he tell the grad kids to make adjustments? would they listen?
Jumping from graduation to lead coordinator is something York has always done (likely because they can’t pay enough for someone outside of the program) . Kaplan, Whitcher, Kennedy and now Wilhelm. It doesn’t seem to be coaching as the offense can only change so much from one year ago. To me, the older guys haven’t had their usual showings, and the younger guys haven’t stepped up. Scoring, Faceoffs, goalie play. Grove City game especially, there were PLENTY of scoring opportunities. A coach can’t do that last past for them.
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

His departure was downplayed a bit in the summer but I think Mayer transferring out was a big loss and if he were still on the team they may only have 1 or 2 losses at this point. I see he is tied for 2nd in points at Ohio State and has started a number of games.

Grove City is a good team but this loss doesn't feel like the others and we are just about 2 months into a 3 month regular season.

Having said that, I am confident York will win out and get the AQ.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 am
There is a huge falloff with the offense this season without Drenner. The offense looks insanely flat footed. With Drenner coaching, consistent movement and cuts were way more common. I agree with the 1v1 play. It almost seems like York is back to high school lacrosse where one guy plays hero ball and the rest of the 5 are just cows in the grass. But that guy changes every play.

The defense has been playing great and consistently. I blame this loss on the offense not being able to finish. I also think York just needs to sit with 9-10 offense guys and become strong together. There has been almost a change up every game. From 13 getting no time, to 13 finally getting time he deserves. 2 getting subbed out. 9 getting subbed out randomly every other game. There is such a weird lack of consistency in subbing.

Another point that ties with the consistency could be owning our style. We don't have one anymore. RIT is quick transition ball or back door cuts. Tufts is lots of shooting. Salisbury is known for their bully ball and size. What is York? Our leading scorer is a D middie who stays on the field. Maybe this is a question that would give a refreshing change to everyone. 19 is an amazing player and needs to keep it up, but if York wants a championship, there needs to be more outcome from our offensive guys.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

completely agree with getting the top 8 or 9 on the field and the team will improve.

my top 9
2,28,44 attack. rotate 52 in.
7,13,26 mid
22,31 rotate in

this gets your top players on the field. it also gets all of your emo players involved instead of expecting 2 and 52 to come in cold for emo
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

YCOLaxFanSU wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 pm His departure was downplayed a bit in the summer but I think Mayer transferring out was a big loss and if he were still on the team they may only have 1 or 2 losses at this point. I see he is tied for 2nd in points at Ohio State and has started a number of games.

Grove City is a good team but this loss doesn't feel like the others and we are just about 2 months into a 3 month regular season.

Having said that, I am confident York will win out and get the AQ.
I agree that it is likely York will still make the tournament, but will that be considered a successful season if they lose in the first or second round of the tournament? This is a team who was top 12 in preseason and is now 2-6. Granted they have one of the harder schedules in the country, I am sure they are very disappointed with how things have played out. They have a chance to get a good win against Gettysburg in a few games. Unless they can make it to the second weekend of NCAA’s, this was a disappointing season for the Spartans.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm completely agree with getting the top 8 or 9 on the field and the team will improve.

my top 9
2,28,44 attack. rotate 52 in.
7,13,26 mid
22,31 rotate in

this gets your top players on the field. it also gets all of your emo players involved instead of expecting 2 and 52 to come in cold for emo
I don't hate that lineup, but there must be more to it than that. I mean, that has to oversimply the problem...doesn't it? For example, some of the SOG% and shot/goal percentages of at least one of the players above are pretty low right now. You always want to get your best players on the field, but maybe the problem is in identifying who those "best players" are right now, not based on last year stats. There's more to it than just the points someone puts up, but that does play a big part in it. As others have pointed out, it's hard to tell what the identity of this offense is supposed to be, so guessing who should fill which role is difficult.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Don’t blame the OC and if you’re gonna criticize any coaches, include the HC too. He can’t get all the credit in good times but no blame in bad. He runs the team.
The problem is that the offensive guys can’t or aren’t beating their defenders on the dodge so the D never has to slide or move. Way too easy to defend. And the proposed lineup is very small and those with any size sacrifice speed. And FO % is way down.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxrealist wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:53 pm … FO % is way down.
Yes. In the games I’ve been able to watch parts of, most recently Grove City, it has looked like Facciponti was being called for a disproportionately large number of FO violations. It has stood out to me so much so that I’m starting to wonder if he is doing something different, or is a part of his repertoire something that is now being cracked down on for this year. It has been noticeable and significant, especially in those 1 goal games where one possession has the potential to determine the outcome.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

york officially not ranked. anyone know when the last time York was not ranked?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am york officially not ranked. anyone know when the last time York was not ranked?
End of 2015. That year they started the season ranked #11, and had 7 games with a 3 goal differential or less. Sounds sort of familiar to me… Looking back, there’s been plenty of years where they won most of those close games. But as someone said on the NESCAC thread, when you play a ton of close games, it usually will work its way back to the median at some point.

Worth noting that they rebounded the very next year in 2016, worked their way back into the top 10 rankings, and went on to the elite 8 in the NCAAs (dropping in OT to Gettysburg). Just food for thought for the ”the sky is falling” crowd.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 am
Jumbo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:34 am york officially not ranked. anyone know when the last time York was not ranked?
End of 2015. That year they started the season ranked #11, and had 7 games with a 3 goal differential or less. Sounds sort of familiar to me… Looking back, there’s been plenty of years where they won most of those close games. But as someone said on the NESCAC thread, when you play a ton of close games, it usually will work its way back to the median at some point.

Worth noting that they rebounded the very next year in 2016, worked their way back into the top 10 rankings, and went on to the elite 8 in the NCAAs (dropping in OT to Gettysburg). Just food for thought for the ”the sky is falling” crowd.
i don’t see anything to panic about. 6 losses is bad. but york has 5 losses to top 6/7 teams and 3 are by a goal. i don’t think anyone expected York to be a top 7 team, so none of those losses should be shocking. the grove city loss was not expected. York can win these next two games and turn the season around. but it all starts with Denison.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

As it pertains to YCP, almost everything I've observed in watching maybe 2.5 total games (I float when there are multiple webcasts I want to take in), is correctable. They aren't able to draw the 1 slides consistently, and that might also be a product of the limited off-ball movement. I would not want to see York in an elimination game. They are calloused and talented.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Are there more changes coming? Do these next two games matter really? They have to get the AQ to get in and they have to fix the offense (among other issues) to do that. Do they spend the next two games trying to find solutions or just keep grinding it out.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The heart-attack kids had themselves another 1 goal game, though this one a much needed win, topping Denison 10-9. Denison’s goalie really did a great job, 16 saves, picked off passes when on the 10 man etc. Kid battled.

Quick turnaround before Gettysburg on Wednesday.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pm The heart-attack kids had themselves another 1 goal game, though this one a much needed win, topping Denison 10-9. Denison’s goalie really did a great job, 16 saves, picked off passes when on the 10 man etc. Kid battled.

Quick turnaround before Gettysburg on Wednesday.
Battle of the Underdogs. York was a shot away from being 2-7 instead of 3-6. I understand that Yorks schedule was fierce but the team I saw beat W&L by a goal before they are now missing 4 starters I thought was very good. I just know this is NOT a team I’d want to play in the ncaa tournament this year if they get in. Would not be shocked if they were to beat Gettysburg who is weak at the dot
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

one shot away from being 2-7? one shot might have tied the game. but that isn’t a loss. one shot might have given york a 2 goal win….

we could also say york is one shot (per game) away from being 5-4 with 3 (1) goal losses.

who are the 4 starters missing?

i just finished watching the game and Denison goalie made several amazing point blank saves. i think york could have won that game by 5 or 6 without half of this great saves. but hey, that’s part of the game.
York matches up well with lots of teams and could easily cause damage if they make the tourney.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”