D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: UVA 2024

Post by molo »

Could take a hit!
Finster

Post by Finster »

The differences between UVA and UNC yesterday were fairly immense for two top division 1 lacrosse teams:

Energy
Basic catching and throwing
Offense reliability

About the only common denominator I could tell was end to end speed.

I feel for Joe. He recruits with the best of them, but man, something happens after they get to Chapel Hill. Not in a good way, if it wasn’t obvious.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

thegman wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:21 pm
cmbtp88 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:34 pm
molo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am The one position where UNC has a clear advantage is FOGO. What percentage of face-offs does Wambach have to win to give UNC a legitimate chance of an upset? I doubt he’ll be able to hit 70%, but if he can win 60%, can the Heels pull it off? Harvard almost won until UVA started to win face-offs in the fourth quarter. If UVA starts strong, the game shouldn’t be close, but if UVA struggles at tgd dot and throws in a bad quarter, the Heels could prevail.
Early prediction: UVA 16-12.
No question UNC could win, they are a good team, but we will see how much of an advantage they have. Very difficult to predict how faceoff match ups are going to go when you have two kids that never have played against each other before go up against each other. Wambach has done a great job this year for sure. I remember going into the Michigan game everyone was saying that Wiedfedlt had a huge advantage at FO over UVA, and looked what happened....very hard to predict. I was at the Harvard UVA game, the reason UVA was losing that game had nothing to do with FO, There was a total of 4 FOs in the 1st qtr. Harvard did a very good job sliding on UVA and almost double sliding...really shut them down...Harvard's offense is very good, one of the most efficient in the country. Byrne is a very very good coach. Of course it helps for you to win FOs if you are down 4 goals in the 4th qtr....but with UVA's defense, losing 60% of the FOs is not a killer for them....we will see, that why they play the games.....
Heels fan here and you have confidence in them I do not. Heels have pieces but leaning heavily on underclassmen to carry the water rarely produces Ws. Hoos have been strong for a long time and post C. Gray Heels have been (charitably) a work in progress. Vegas has Hoos -5 but even that might be charitable. I'm just hoping we're not run off the field/staring down the barrel of finishing the season 0-6
Things aren't going well for the Heels but now rooting for them to upset Duke & Notre Dame. I was impressed by the UNC crowd yesterday. They traveled well to Klockner, given how their season has gone. Virginia always draws big crowds but there was also a lot of baby blue in Klockner yesterday. Yes , Virginia has some outstanding Upper classmen leadership, lacking at UNC. Nevertheless, Virginia's rotation is also littered with a bunch of 1st year players in Millon, Terenzi, Schroter, Colsey, Erdmann, and Burt. Both teams are playing plenty of talented young guys a lot.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm
molo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am The one position where UNC has a clear advantage is FOGO. What percentage of face-offs does Wambach have to win to give UNC a legitimate chance of an upset? I doubt he’ll be able to hit 70%, but if he can win 60%, can the Heels pull it off? Harvard almost won until UVA started to win face-offs in the fourth quarter. If UVA starts strong, the game shouldn’t be close, but if UVA struggles at tgd dot and throws in a bad quarter, the Heels could prevail.
No question UNC could win, they are a good team, but we will see how much of an advantage they have. Very difficult to predict how faceoff match ups are going to go when you have two kids that never have played against each other before go up against each other. Wambach has done a great job this year for sure. I remember going into the Michigan game everyone was saying that Wiedfedlt had a huge advantage at FO over UVA, and looked what happened....very hard to predict. I was at the Harvard UVA game, the reason UVA was losing that game had nothing to do with FO, There was a total of 4 FOs in the 1st qtr. Harvard did a very good job sliding on UVA and almost double sliding...really shut them down...Harvard's offense is very good, one of the most efficient in the country. Byrne is a very very good coach. Of course it helps for you to win FOs if you are down 4 goals in the 4th qtr....but with UVA's defense, losing 60% of the FOs is not a killer for them....we will see, that why they play the games.....
Heels fan here and you have confidence in them I do not. Heels have pieces but leaning heavily on underclassmen to carry the water rarely produces Ws. Hoos have been strong for a long time and post C. Gray Heels have been (charitably) a work in progress. Vegas has Hoos -5 but even that might be charitable. I'm just hoping we're not run off the field/staring down the barrel of finishing the season 0-6
Things aren't going well for the Heels but now rooting for them to upset Duke & Notre Dame. I was impressed by the UNC crowd yesterday. They traveled well to Klockner, given how their season has gone. Virginia always draws big crowds but there was also a lot of baby blue in Klockner yesterday. Yes , Virginia has some outstanding Upper classmen leadership, lacking at UNC. Nevertheless, Virginia's rotation is also littered with a bunch of 1st year players in Millon, Terenzi, Schroter, Colsey, Erdmann, and Burt. Both teams are playing plenty of talented young guys a lot.

I’d assume all three remaining Tar Heel opponents will be favored by 5 over UNC.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm
Was an interesting game, really didnt go the way I thought it would...First FO was much more even than I thought it would be from the comments in here last week that they had such an advantage there....Ghobriel and Collucci really played well against Wambach and their FO team in general...VA actually got so early offense off the FO too, Carolinas Defense really disapptd me more than their Offense, I really didn't get what they were doing out there....VA's D really played well especially the D mids...perfectly timed slides and doubles....will be interesting to see how UNC does against the other ACC teams....
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

believe face off comments assume ghobriel woudln't play. UVA wing play is solid so faceoff man just has to make it a scrum. You could see that at game our guys got called for a few holds as they just tried to gum it when they lost the draw.
Finster

Post by Finster »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:34 pm believe face off comments assume ghobriel woudln't play. UVA wing play is solid so faceoff man just has to make it a scrum. You could see that at game our guys got called for a few holds as they just tried to gum it when they lost the draw.

Correct.

Also on the very first faceoff, Wambach was called for a procedural. Wasn’t a great omen.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:34 pm believe face off comments assume ghobriel woudln't play. UVA wing play is solid so faceoff man just has to make it a scrum. You could see that at game our guys got called for a few holds as they just tried to gum it when they lost the draw.
very true, Ghobriel was a nice surprise, he really tied up Wambach and caused a lot of GBs, but if you look at the stats Colucci was 75%, NC was running 2 shorties on the wings in the 2nd half trying to get early offense so yes we were trying to make sure they had few clean wins, but we did well countering and mucking it up...it was 50-50 going into the the final 2 FOs when it didnt matter anymore , that is success against arguably the best FO squad the past 6 weeks....the next 3 weeks will all be battles, hopefully we can do the same, or better... D mids really played well for VA
molo

Post by molo »

Now that Duke has moved Carpenter from lsm to close defense, I would assume that he will cover Millon with Brower on Shellenberger and Bard on Cormier. Carpenter excelled on gbs as a pole and handles his stick well on clears, but I like Millon’s chances again him in one on one matchups. For all the talk about the production by Duke’s midfielders, they run two lines that are almost interchangeable. In fact, two of the three midfielders on EMO are usually on the second midfield. Chizmar and Yager have garnered well deserved accolades for they play of late, but if Terenzi is out, the rope unit will be challenged. Unlike UVA, where there is a clear difference between the first and second offensive midfield units, Duke can come with effectively two equal units.
History says Duke wins although objectively UVA looks like the slightly better team this year. You could argue that UVA should win by a goal or two, but the really says that they are more likely to win a NC than to beat Duke in a region season game.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Don’t over think this. Duke loses to elite teams this year. UVA is an elite team this year. UVA wins.
molo

Post by molo »

I hope so.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Looks like the thrilling softball game between VT and BC is way behind schedule...Where is the UVa game getting bumped? Will ACC network just change the broadcast to UVa Duke? I mean how many viewers are watching this...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:39 pm Looks like the thrilling softball game between VT and BC is way behind schedule...Where is the UVa game getting bumped? Will ACC network just change the broadcast to UVa Duke? I mean how many viewers are watching this...
they won't change it over. it will start somewhere else.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:39 pm Looks like the thrilling softball game between VT and BC is way behind schedule...Where is the UVa game getting bumped? Will ACC network just change the broadcast to UVa Duke? I mean how many viewers are watching this...
they won't change it over. it will start somewhere else.

Well slaughter rule ends it...and the broadcast continues for 5 minutes watching nothing...LET'S GO
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

It's going to be a long day if Nunes is going to play like turd all game. Guy is like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Wow, just awful by Nunes. Really disappointing so far.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Nunes doesn't have a single save. 6-3 Duke. Looks like the worst goalie in America.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Feels like Duke turns into the monstars every time they play UVA. Offense shooting the lights out, defense shutting down the Hoos threats… everything is going the blue devils way
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm Feels like Duke turns into the monstars every time they play UVA. Offense shooting the lights out, defense shutting down the Hoos threats… everything is going the blue devils way
Defense being overly aggressive and Nunes having one of his classic turd games...uncanny. This program just can't beat Duke.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Poor coaching. Poor 6 on 6 offense and that's on Cassese. Not making adjustments. Duke is predictable but our defense didn't show up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”