UVA 2024

Post by August »

SCHEDULE:

Virginia v Notre Dame

Virginia v Duke

Virginia v Maryland

Virginia v Syracuse

Virginia v Hopkins

Plus: UNC, Michigan, Ohio State, Harvard (and Richmond, Towson, and LaFayette)

Plus: add two more assuming there is an ACC Tourney in 24. Guesses: Georgetown and Navy. Or they will have to play Duke and Notre Dame twice again.

Thats a season-long pressure cooker. UVA will likely have to start 3 young guns from the bench (Sunderland, Terenzi, and Schroter). They will need to pick up 1-2 fogos, 1-2 SSDm, an O guy, and a Pole just to compete and keep pace with their "5 rivalry games" #daunting.
Njlaxx11

Re: UVA 2024

Post by Njlaxx11 »

August wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am SCHEDULE:

Virginia v Notre Dame

Virginia v Duke

Virginia v Maryland

Virginia v Syracuse

Virginia v Hopkins

Plus: add two more assuming there is an ACC Tourney in 24. Guesses: Georgetown and Navy. Or they will have to play Duke and Notre Dame twice again.

Thats a season-long pressure cooker. UVA will likely have to start 3 young guns from the bench (Sunderland, Terenzi, and Schroter). They will need to pick up 1-2 fogos, 1-2 SSDm, an O guy, and a Pole just to compete and keep pace with their "5 rivalry games" #daunting.
just to compete? i think they'll be fine.

shellenberger, dickson and cormier are all back, no?
schutz will be back. mcintosh, who played huge minutes in the playoffs will be back.
saustad, matsui, bower, kology, kastner - all back
nunes is back

add in the #1 recruit this year in mccabe millon and 2 other top 50 middies the offense will be good.
in the portal they've been confirmed to be bringing in Yeager, a SSDM from harvard.
yes they'll have to address the FO position, but i have faith in UVA to figure it out.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Dickson and Saustad are done I thought?
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

PulpExposure wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:47 am Dickson and Saustad are done I thought?
i'm not 100% but the UVA roster has them as a R/S Senior, which means they still have another year, no?

though dickson is on the pll atlas roster, so i guess he is done.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:52 am
PulpExposure wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:47 am Dickson and Saustad are done I thought?
i'm not 100% but the UVA roster has them as a R/S Senior, which means they still have another year, no?

though dickson is on the pll atlas roster, so i guess he is done.
Saustad was claimed by the Cannons too. Assume he's done because he played 4 and his redshirt was the COVID year so I don't think he gets to double count that?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Dickson is also out of eligibility
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Dickson is definitely done. Sunderland didn’t blow me away this year. Clearly a skilled player but his style of play doesn’t look to excel at this level with his body type, will need to change something up. Hoos will be unwrapping 2 likely studs from under the redshirt tree in Colsey and Terenzi, both those two are destined to be stars. Add in Millon if he is healthy and has his head screwed on right and the O punch should still be there, though it’s safe to say no one will finish at the rate Dickson did.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm Sunderland didn’t blow me away this year. Clearly a skilled player but his style of play doesn’t look to excel at this level with his body type, will need to change something up.
🤣😂
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

McConvey MOY has barely a mention? Very well matched with Cormier. Lasalla is probably not going to have his productivity matched nor will Dickson as has been mentioned.

I have not bern overwhelmed by the D either. They will be one of the favorites
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Do you think they will redshirt Millon or is he too good to let sit a year?
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:07 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:06 pm Sunderland didn’t blow me away this year. Clearly a skilled player but his style of play doesn’t look to excel at this level with his body type, will need to change something up.
🤣😂

So I think what PCow is saying is Sunderland is smallish for a D1 player, and he’s correct. Sunderland needs to bulk up some without losing quickness, if he wants to get bigger numbers. He did put up 9 and 8.

What I’d say to PCow is Sunderland is a very heady player. I could see him being a lot of things on UVA, including at X or even as a Dickson.

Something I saw at the Chapel Hill UNC/UVA game really intrigued me: the young local kids watching the game all knew and rooted for Sunderland. These were Carolina high school and below kids. Somehow they knew who this kid was on the visiting team, and they thought his ‘skills were sick’. It was interesting. The kid has either a huge social media presence or something. But he’s obviously good for UVA recruiting.

BUT, the competition for playing time won’t decrease next year. Millon is D1 ready today. I don’t know how Lars doesn’t play him; his dad will have a canary if he doesn’t start, and though I wouldn’t be like his dad, his dad would have a point. The kid is REALLY good, I’d go so far as to say the best MIAA product since Spencer/Wisnauskas.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Seahawk wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:03 pm Do you think they will redshirt Millon or is he too good to let sit a year?

I just mentioned him above. I can’t imagine in a million years. His dad is a forceful guy as Baltimore parents surely know, and his body is D1 ready.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Finster wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:04 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:07 pm
🤣😂

So I think what PCow is saying is Sunderland is smallish for a D1 player, and he’s correct. Sunderland needs to bulk up some without losing quickness, if he wants to get bigger numbers. He did put up 9 and 8.

What I’d say to PCow is Sunderland is a very heady player. I could see him being a lot of things on UVA, including at X or even as a Dickson.

Something I saw at the Chapel Hill UNC/UVA game really intrigued me: the young local kids watching the game all knew and rooted for Sunderland. These were Carolina high school and below kids. Somehow they knew who this kid was on the visiting team, and they thought his ‘skills were sick’. It was interesting. The kid has either a huge social media presence or something. But he’s obviously good for UVA recruiting.

BUT, the competition for playing time won’t decrease next year. Millon is D1 ready today. I don’t know how Lars doesn’t play him; his dad will have a canary if he doesn’t start, and though I wouldn’t be like his dad, his dad would have a point. The kid is REALLY good, I’d go so far as to say the best MIAA product since Spencer/Wisnauskas.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Sunderland had/has a very large social media following with younger kids, he’s got pop. What I meant though is that this year he did not play to his strengths. He has a very good stick and is indeed quick. He could fill a feeder or finisher role, X or Dickson. What he is not is a bull dodger. I certainly didn’t see every UVA game but what I saw when I did watch was him trying a lot of iso with too much bodying up of D who are going to outweigh him by 40 pounds. He needs to put on 10 pounds of muscle and play to his strengths, which are speed and space, not head down dip and rip dodging.
Finster

Post by Finster »

pcowlax wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:16 pm Sunderland had/has a very large social media following with younger kids, he’s got pop. What I meant though is that this year he did not play to his strengths. He has a very good stick and is indeed quick. He could fill a feeder or finisher role, X or Dickson. What he is not is a bull dodger. I certainly didn’t see every UVA game but what I saw when I did watch was him trying a lot of iso with too much bodying up of D who are going to outweigh him by 40 pounds. He needs to put on 10 pounds of muscle and play to his strengths, which are speed and space, not head down dip and rip dodging.

I just made the mistake of looking at lacrosse players Instagrams and before anyone says so, I realize kids are also on Snap and Tik Tok.

Pay Kavanaugh has 30,000 followers. McCabe Millon (high school player!!) has 26,000. Sunderland is private and ‘only’ has 7,500 lol. Shellenberger has 16,000. Brennan O’Neill 23,000. CJ Kirst private and 7700.

Interesting.

Paul Rabil has 430,000.
August

Post by August »

Finster wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:05 pm
Seahawk wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:03 pm Do you think they will redshirt Millon or is he too good to let sit a year?

I just mentioned him above. I can’t imagine in a million years. His dad is a forceful guy as Baltimore parents surely know, and his body is D1 ready.
UVA has a few spots to fill on offense and they dont seem like a program that cares much about your last name, your HS stats, or social media following. A program that sits Shellenberger, moves Schutz to middie, limits Miezan to 2 shifts a game, seems to have a plan. Just saying. Been watching this program for a while and they have a system for certain. Before any portal acquisitions, UVA has two spots on the midfield and one at attack. This give plenty of opportunity to McIntosh, Sunderland, Cory, Miezan, Menke, Inderlied... All played this year for them. Add Terenzi off of a RS. 7 players with experience for 3 starting spots. 4 remaining players for 4 back up spots. Freshman at UVA have a lot of work to do to see the field. Seems all of them either RS or come in as 2-line middies. Add in a portal grad student and things get even tougher for the young guys. Other programs may be a little more lenient with underclassmen- at least it appears that way.
Finster

Post by Finster »

August wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:32 pm
Finster wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:05 pm

UVA has a few spots to fill on offense and they dont seem like a program that cares much about your last name, your HS stats, or social media following. A program that sits Shellenberger, moves Schutz to middie, limits Miezan to 2 shifts a game, seems to have a plan. Just saying. Been watching this program for a while and they have a system for certain. Before any portal acquisitions, UVA has two spots on the midfield and one at attack. This give plenty of opportunity to McIntosh, Sunderland, Cory, Miezan, Menke, Inderlied... All played this year for them. Add Terenzi off of a RS. 7 players with experience for 3 starting spots. 4 remaining players for 4 back up spots. Freshman at UVA have a lot of work to do to see the field. Seems all of them either RS or come in as 2-line middies. Add in a portal grad student and things get even tougher for the young guys. Other programs may be a little more lenient with underclassmen- at least it appears that way.

Millon’s pop has a rap. We’ll see how it all transpires.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

August wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am SCHEDULE:

Virginia v Notre Dame

Virginia v Duke

Virginia v Maryland

Virginia v Syracuse

Virginia v Hopkins

I realize you don't know the program well, but Lars is very selective about who he adds from the portal so your suggestion of taking as many as 6 people from the portal is beyond unlikely. At most, it will be a few select players. He doesnt load up there, but prefers to play his recruits when ready.Virginia has more holes this off season so will it be 3 new faces or 4? You are correct, he still needs help at face off and short stick. Barring any more players leaving early, he won't need poles and will only take an Offensive middie if it's a stud. Otherwise Virginia will play with what will already be on the roster. They will be a lot younger this coming year and expectations might not be quite as high, but the talent will be there to eventually beat anyone. The following year, they look like they might have what is the #1 class incoming so the program should continue at the levels, it always is.
August

Post by August »

So add to the list of needs, an OC. Fogo (+1 maybe 2); SSDM (+1 after Yeager;) O middie; looks like UVA getting 2 d guys back so no needs there. Portal is very expensive and with no OC, going to be even more challenging...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Lars might eat a steak tonight, over the stress of having to find someone to help him reverse engineer Kirwans offense.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”