PLL 2023

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Lax Mouse

Re: PLL 2023

Post by Lax Mouse »

stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:21 pm Was hoping for weekend roundup for games this past weekend by Lax Mouse . The World Games were interesting but a PLL interruption nonetheless. fogo rule it what it is this season, many teams adapting on the fly
I've been a bit busy the last few weekends admittedly and haven't been able to watch the last few weeks.

But I might put some thoughts in here tomorrow about the season so far and I finally have some time this weekend, so I'll be watching all four games.

Always appreciate the kind words, thanks!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lax Mouse wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:48 pm
stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:21 pm Was hoping for weekend roundup for games this past weekend by Lax Mouse . The World Games were interesting but a PLL interruption nonetheless. fogo rule it what it is this season, many teams adapting on the fly
I've been a bit busy the last few weekends admittedly and haven't been able to watch the last few weeks.

But I might put some thoughts in here tomorrow about the season so far and I finally have some time this weekend, so I'll be watching all four games.

Always appreciate the kind words, thanks!
Glad you’re back. Looking forward to more of your PLL insight
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Can’t believe we’re already at the halfway point of the season. With 7 of the 8 teams making the playoffs, everyone is still very much in the hunt, but there’s definitely varying degrees of optimism and pessimism for the different clubs.

League wide, there are at least three big themes that have emerged to a heightened level this year:
- The changes to the shot clock rule (of course)
- The importance of coaching
- The tendency to lean on veterans over new/emerging players

The discourse around the new shot clock rules has been one of the most debated and well covered topics this season (next to Lyle’s sabbatical). Five games in and the consequences are becoming more consistent and empirically apparent. Winning a faceoff is no longer the precursor to time of possession and offensive dominance. Teams with the statistical edge in faceoffs are not winning. Teams without a dominant FO player have adjusted well to the rule by not even dressing FO players, using poles to push the ball back, and limiting opponents time on the offensive end with their full set of offensive personnel. Counter adjustments certainly exist, but teams have been slow to implement – leaning even harder on their FO players. Those teams can certainly adjust better – but largely at the expense of the FO athletes that are in the league. I’ve tried to give this rule change time to mature as I’ve formed an opinion, but at this point, I can say that it has not grown on me for several reasons. From a gameplay perspective, the smaller fields and the already shortened shot clock (from college) are in place to both speed the game up and to limit the overall effect of a statistically dominant FO team. I understand the goal of evening out the FO aspect of the game. And while I don’t know how to quite articulate this, this rule change seemingly has the effect of knocking down teams that were successful at the FO instead of encouraging teams that struggled to get better. From a league branding perspective, I think this change is also detrimental. It’s starting to be discussed elsewhere, but some of the FO guys are the more marketable players in the league. I worry about the effect of essentially erasing players like Baptiste, Farrell, and Ierlan from the larger efforts to build the league.

The hiring of Pressler and Holman as coaches, and the introduction of Grant as O-coordinator for the Woods, has really cast an even brighter light on coaching in the league. I want to acknowledge that these coaches are all professionals and are clearly talented, and the same goes to all the players. But the contrasting efforts of Holman with the Cannons (who have arguably the least talented roster in the league) and Pressler (who has arguably the most talented roster) is stunning. Holman has put in game plans that get the most out of his players, and they’re responding by playing well above their means as a team. Pressler’s Atlas team has been, to be quite frank, a mess. Players aren’t necessarily playing bad, but the overall team is. There’s no doubt in my mind that the issue here is coaching. Pressler has not adjusted well and is squandering a roster that is built for a championship run. I wonder how Rubeor is holding up – he left Pressler quite the gift. Adjustments have been nearly nonexistent. Personnel decisions have been difficult to comprehend. For the Woods, Grant’s offensive system never really seemed to mesh with the personnel that were present. Their saving grace has been Ryder Garnsey literally pulling magic out of his hat for 5 weeks, but the midfield production has been nonexistent. The scheme he wants doesn’t fit the players, and that really shouldn’t have been a surprise.

This last theme is a bit related, but more than ever it seems like coaches have been clinging to veterans or "their guys" and not allowing younger players or new players the opportunities to get consistent run time. A few caveats here: I understand that relationships are important in this league, that there’s a leadership component to heaving veterans around, availability is a factor, and that limited practice time and limited roster space has a marked impact on coaches’ personnel decisions. That being said, I think there’s a stubbornness to some of the decisions that has seemed even more pronounced this year. Sure, younger players might require a few games to get their footing in this league, but there are a number of veterans who’ve had that grace period and who have not produced consistently. I don’t want to seem anti-veteran player, but if they’re not producing on the field, at some point tough decisions need to be made.

I’m sure folks might have some thoughts on this, but I think some of the most notable examples of this include:

Players that I feel like have been given too much benefit of a doubt this season:
Tucker Durkin, Craig Chick, Jake Richard, Marc O’Rourke, Kyle Jackson, Will Perry, Colin Heacock, Jordan MacIntosh, Sergio Perkovic, Myles Jones, Anthony DeMaio, Romar Dennis (might be controversial)

Players that need some or more consistent game action:
Brendan Curry, Chase Fraser, Chris Cloutier, Cross Ferrera, Dylan Molloy, Cole Williams, Cole Kirst, Kevin Rogers, John Piatelli, Jack Myers, Brett Kennedy
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Lax Mouse wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:54 pm I’m sure folks might have some thoughts on this, but I think some of the most notable examples of this include:

Players that I feel like have been given too much benefit of a doubt this season:
Tucker Durkin, Craig Chick, Jake Richard, Marc O’Rourke, Kyle Jackson, Will Perry, Colin Heacock, Jordan MacIntosh, Sergio Perkovic, Myles Jones, Anthony DeMaio, Romar Dennis (might be controversial)

Players that need some or more consistent game action:
Brendan Curry, Chase Fraser, Chris Cloutier, Cross Ferrera, Dylan Molloy, Cole Williams, Cole Kirst, Kevin Rogers, John Piatelli, Jack Myers, Brett Kennedy
Excellent points throughout your recent post Lax Mouse. Couldn't agree more, especially with the above portion
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Hard to justify doing a "Power Ranking" when almost everyone makes the playoffs and when nearly any team could theoretically win any given week, but going into the back stretch, here's generally a ranking of how confident I feel each team should feel of being competitive this season:

1. Waterdogs: This team is 4-1 and they haven't dressed a FO athlete in weeks. This week against the Archers will be a huge litmus test. They're also getting healthier with the return of Jack Hannah and the looming return of Connor Kelly. Their midfield is deep. When Schlosser returns, they'll have their pick between Kelly, Carraway, Currier, Hannah, McConvey, Conrad, and Schlosser to dress. The team has more assisted goals than the Archers and seems to have a slightly more developed offensive identity. They're second in caused turnovers and one of the best on the penalty kill at 67%. They've also committed the fewest penalties in the league. They nailed the first two rounds of the draft with McConvey and Mazzone. Their FO strategy has worked so far, but it's experimental nature will always run the risk of blowing up if an opponent can learn to counter effectively. The Waterdogs play disciplined and share the ball effectively.

2. Archers: The general consensus when they drafted Sisselberger at 5th was "they got their guy, but it may have been a reach". No one is doubting the pick now. They addressed their only true area of weakness and it's paid dividends this season. Ament's nagging injury is the only true concern for a team that has the number 1 scoring defense in the league and is number 2 in save percentage. We'll see how their strengthened FO unit fares against the new FOless strategy pioneered by the Waterdogs - they have yet to go up against a team employing the approach yet this season. Offensively, there is room for growth: they're middle of the pack in total shots taken and bottom half in assisted goals. A healthy Ament should help, but there have been some injury concerns with other key offensive pieces as well.

3. Chaos: The Chaos have had a better start to the season than in years past and are relatively healthy. Riorden has, as usual, kept them in games and leads the league in save percentage. The addition of Will Bowen was quite the steal, and their defensive is tied for second in scores against average. I was surprised they let Brett Kennedy go early in the season (he's doing well for the Whips currently), since CJ Costabile is getting up their in playing age. But the unit hasn't suffered this season as a result. They're well balanced on offense. Rookie Brian Minicus has been playing lights out and seems to hold the key to the offense at the moment. The big question is who can develop into a consistent offensive threat behind Minicus, Byrne, and Ryan Smith. Plenty of players have had chances, and Tye Kurtz has impressed in limited game action. The offensive sets are fluid, but the depth of personnel hasn't really developed. Cloutier and Fraser have been benched frequently, but players like Kyle Jackson (3g 2a) and Will Perry (3g) have been given a long rope this season. Solidifying their offensive personnel has to be a main goal down the stretch.

4. Cannons: Talk about playing above your means. I don't mean any disrespect - these are all professional and highly talented players - but this team's roster was in a bad place. It still lacks some of the ceiling of other teams. But man has the whole team been playing lights out. Their attack is far and away playing better than a year ago. Holman at the helm of the coaching staff has been a great addition, but Nolting has really elevated his game and both Kavanagh and Holman look resurgent in this offense. Campbell was a great pickup in the draft and has gotten more comfortable as the season has progressed. Drenner, Donville, and Aslanian are proving what they can do given a chance. Grabbing CVR was a gift, but the defense as a whole, and Kirst in net, have all played above expectations. Ethan Rall has been a revelation (I was genuinely surprised he wasn't drafted). They've put the most shots on net and have the highest shooting percentage in the league. Who knows if they'll be able to compete for a championship this year, but they've been competing every week, and they should feel good about that and their ability to make some noise down the stretch.

5. Whipsnakes: They can't change their record from the first 5 weeks, but they're getting healthier on offense with Brad Smith's return. The ceiling of this team is high. Injuries have derailed the season. Bernlohr's absence will be felt, and it looks like Rambo and Erhardt will be dealing with some lingering injuries for some time. They've been in pretty much every game and their score differential is only -1 despite a record of 1-4. Dordevic is the favorite for rookie of the year and has held the fort admirably during their hobbled start to the season. He's going to be the face of this offense for years to come. Unsurprisingly, the offense hasn't fully gelled yet, but they're playing hard and aren't an easy out. The injuries on defense have had a larger impact, and they sit second to last in scores against average. Kennedy's arrival has helped, but this is a nit that really needs to heal and regroup.

6. Redwoods: The Woods have a decent record with uninspiring performances of late. Major changes were made this week, and probably occurred a little later than they should have. Garnsey has made magic happen on offense, unfortunately the midfield tried to one up him and ended up doing a disappearing act. Some of this has to boil down to offensive personnel fit with new OC John Grant Jr. But Myles Jones, Sergio Perkovic, and to a lesser degree Charlie Bertrand (with more limited time) haven't produced. Jones is out this week. Perkovic is now officially listed as a SSDM. Montgomery has been bumped up to a more offensive role. Cole Kirst is back in the lineup. He's played in two games this season and is one of their more productive players from a points perspective. He needs more time to see what he can do over extended runs. Their defense and goaltending has been solid, although Owen Grant's injury has cast a larger light on whether he, and not an offensive player, was the right pick at number 2. He'll be a force when he makes it on to the field, but this team needs midfield help and an offensive identity desperately.

7. Atlas: I feel like I'm a bit of a broken record here, but this Atlas team has arguably the best roster in the league. If they can get it together, they will make a run. Pressler's coaching has been a detriment as his adjustment to the PLL has been minimal. This team has excellent players but not excellent team performance. Tucker Durkin is a guaranteed hall of famer. Keeping him over CVR, at this point of their careers, was a mistake. The defense has suffered for it (dead last in scores against average). Goaltending has also been a challenge, but the defense is giving up too many easy shots. I think Pressler and Soudan have been the most guilty of sticking with veteran or established players in place of newer guys. He's stuck to Durkin, Richard, and his Bryant guy O'Rourke despite their lack of performance and production. This has prevented players like Curry, Comizio, and Makar (and CVR) from getting playing time. These players can be effective if given a chance. Peter Dearth is, in my opinion, one of the most underrated SSDMs in the game. Until a game or two ago, he hadn't been the closest defender on a goal allowed all season. This team is a mess. They avoid the bottom spot due to the amount of talent they have, but things do not currently look good.

8. Chrome: This feels very similar to Atlas, minus the high ceiling. Goaltending has been bottom 2, and they have the fewest shots on goal in the league and the lowest shooting percentage. Sticking with Heacock (1g) and MacIntosh (2g 1a) at midfield has been a mistake. Rogers (before he was cut) and Cole Williams need to be in the lineup and get some runs. They impressed in the championship series. This team has, for years, needed to get younger at the midfield. Handley will be okay, but this team really doesn't have much of a flow as an offensive unit right now. They have the fewest assisted goals in the league. There doesn't seem to be help coming. Nichtern hasn't had much time to get into a rhythm and isn't dressed this week. Molloy is consistently excluded from the lineup. Injuries on defense have hurt. They need an infusion of talent to the LSM position, the midfield, and a consistent, productive presence at the 3rd attack spot.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Atlas got the win yesterday to avoid last place, but it was not a huge confidence builder - it was a close game down the stretch and they couldn't pull away. Concannon got the starting nod again in net and played fantastic. He had a number of athletic saves in tight and stopped a couple of open two's when the game was on the line, which is a good sign. I'd imagine he's the starter the rest of the way. I think the attack needs to be a bit more aggressive. They're an immensely talented unit, but they've got to dictate the pace and direction of the offense better. They had decent production: Gray (2g 2a), Law (2g), Teat (1g 1a), but that does seem like a modest stat line for a group of this caliber. Curry (1g 2a) continues to impress when given a chance. He was able to consistently create separation, especially with the invert, and will only get better as he learns to bury shots from those new angles. Costabile is an impactful 2-way player, but I wonder how much better his production would be if he was allowed to save some energy for his offensive shifts. Guterding deserves another shot to get comfortable, but he hasn't been the most impactful on the field thus far. Dennis continues to be given every chance to have an impact, but he is simply not creating the same separation and is certainly not shooting anywhere near a level that would warrant inclusion on the GameDay roster. It's a shame Rehfuss is on the holdout list, I think his speed and passing is exactly what this midfield needs - although Curry did show the ability to distribute effectively yesterday. Defensively, Adler has another great game and I think Makar is looking more comfortable every week. Durkin has lost a step at this point in his career. Koby Smith's performance makes it more evident that Pressler is struggling with personnel decisions. Why was he kept out of the lineup for so long? They need him badly. Comizio didn't have the strongest game, and Richard continues to make some truly ugly plays. They need Dearth back in the lineup. Ultimately, a win is good. But against the Chrome, you'd have hoped for a more convincing performance.

The Chrome are clearly the most underwhelming team in the league. Defensively, they didn't have a terrible game, and Sconone made some good saves throughout. Offensively, there's just not a lot going on. Ferrara (3g) was a nice spark and showed again that he deserves to be a permanent fixture in the lineup. The rest of the attack was nearly non-existent: Wisnauskas is really not having a great sophomore campaign (0-9 shooting yesterday). Handley had a 2 pointer, but really just seemed missing in action for most of the game. The offense as a whole is lacking. I feel more and more confident in my assessment of their personnel decisions every week: Heacock and MacIntosh are a liability in this lineup at the moment. The problem is, there aren't a ton of options for them. They've jettisoned Jack Myers and Kevin Rogers. They need to get Cole Williams in there. But I think a dip into the free agent pool for any kind of midfield help might be necessary.

The Cannons are playing with house money. Their offense was explosive once they got going. Plenty of ball movement (11 of their 16 goals were assisted). Kirst has been great in net (63% yesterday). Drenner didn't have a point, but the midfield as a whole had 7 goals and 4 assists. That's a good sign - everyone's contributing. This attack unit has looked like one of the best in the league week after week. Ethan Rall needs to be in the conversation for Rookie of the Year. Brian Holman should be the only real candidate for Coach of the Year. This team plays well as a team, and they're so fun to watch. A couple of bonehead penalties, but ultimately, a very impressive performance from the whole team.

The Redwoods scored more than 3 goals this time, which is an improvement. But their defense fell apart as the game progressed - the Cannons ball movement really flummoxed them. Moving Perkovic to full-time SSDM didn't help. There were a number of miscommunications and needless slides from the whole team that led to wide open looks. The depth of this offense is concerning, especially in the midfield. Cole Kirst was allowed to play again and responded with 3g. He's adjusted nicely to this offense and found success with off-ball cutting and burying shots from in close. Once he develops his outside shot against PLL goalies, he should be their number 1 midfielder. Kirst has only played in half the games this season and is the leading goal scorer from the midfield and is only one point behind Heningburg for most productive point scorer from the midfield. Rogers did okay - he struggled a bit at first but ended with a goal and (not on the stat sheet) a beautiful assist to Kirst. Montgomery had a pair of assists, and should start to get more comfortable with his shot given more runs. He certainly had opportunities to score. Bertrand and Heningburg had plenty of runs, but they clearly are not adjusting well to this JG Jr offense. This week was a step in the right direction for the team, but they still have a ways to go.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Heck of a game between Archers and Waterdogs. I feel like from start to finish, that had to be one of the more exciting games so far this year. I'd highly encourage anyone to watch the replay if you missed it!

Archers took it for first place, but these teams are clearly the class of the league right now. Both offenses were explosive throughout. The Waterdogs seemed to slow towards the end, especially in the middle of the field, but everyone on offense for both teams was superb. Both teams shared the ball well and played unselfishly. The Waterdogs had slightly better ball movement (12 assisted goals I think) and the Archers had 7. But Dobson did just a hair better in net than DeLuca. The Archers were able to win a few individual matchups down the stretch. Matt Moore in particular bullied his way to the net a few times.

Wouldn't be surprised to see these two meet again at the end of the season. Who knows what the outcome would be with Connor Kelly in the lineup.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:43 pm Heck of a game between Archers and Waterdogs. I feel like from start to finish, that had to be one of the more exciting games so far this year. I'd highly encourage anyone to watch the replay if you missed it!

Archers took it for first place, but these teams are clearly the class of the league right now. Both offenses were explosive throughout. The Waterdogs seemed to slow towards the end, especially in the middle of the field, but everyone on offense for both teams was superb. Both teams shared the ball well and played unselfishly. The Waterdogs had slightly better ball movement (12 assisted goals I think) and the Archers had 7. But Dobson did just a hair better in net than DeLuca. The Archers were able to win a few individual matchups down the stretch. Matt Moore in particular bullied his way to the net a few times.

Wouldn't be surprised to see these two meet again at the end of the season. Who knows what the outcome would be with Connor Kelly in the lineup.
Lax Mouse , Appreciate your write-ups. Been watching all games either live or replays and most all are exciting to the finish . Heightened pace leads to some miscues but level of play and intensity seems to have ratcheted up this year . League full of dedicated professionals whether or not working day jobs, truly believe that this league will succeed if investors are patient and willing to increase funding and marketing
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

[/quote]
truly believe that this league will succeed if investors are patient and willing to increase funding and marketing
[/quote]

Serious question.
Does anyone know if the league is anywhere close to being profitable?
They are paying the players more than the MLL did and offering health insurance.
The eyeball test on attendance tells me it's not better than the MLL as a whole so that's not a revenue stream of any significance.
They've consolidated the "game day" costs to a single location which probably helps but at the same time adds associated travel costs.
Obviously the revenue is coming from TV and advertisement.
Is that enough at this point to offset other expenses?
If not, how long can investors hold out?
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:25 pm
Lax Mouse , Appreciate your write-ups. Been watching all games either live or replays and most all are exciting to the finish . Heightened pace leads to some miscues but level of play and intensity seems to have ratcheted up this year . League full of dedicated professionals whether or not working day jobs, truly believe that this league will succeed if investors are patient and willing to increase funding and marketing
Appreciate the kind words! I agree, I think this the games are typically very exciting, and it's fun to watch the guys continue to compete after college. The lack of practice time also creates some miscues, but they're definitely putting a fun product on the field. Between this and the sixes tournament (which I genuinely enjoyed more than I thought I would), they definitely are putting entertaining games on display. But to DQKing's point, I have no insider knowledge on how profitable it is at the moment. They typically put out a lot of stats around engagement numbers, but not profits/overall revenue (to my knowledge). I think they benefit a bit by having some investors who care about lacrosse enough to shoulder a bit of a loss, but you're right, if that is/continues to be the case, who knows. I have to imagine the move to a city-based model next year is designed to ameliorate some of those pain points and increase local revenue.

Regarding to the last game of the weekend - the Whips got a key win but lost Tyler Warner to injury and had Dunn sit out before game time. The injuries are hitting them hard. Brad Smith was brilliant in his return, especially in the first half. He had both a 1 and 2 pt goal along with an assist. The Whips midfield were fairly limited in the second half, but the attack stepped up big time (5 of their 6 goals in the second). This coincided with a switch to more two man looks, and Manny had the winner late. They had a good amount of points in transition. The offense, and midfield in particular, looked sloppy in the first. They had a number of turnovers and it seemed like Stags kind of moved the game plan away from them - which worked. I think they'll bounce back, but we'll see if the offensive game plan shifts more permanently to the 2 man. That might limit some of their skillset. Krebs had some decent saves in his first start, but he didn't really look like the long term answer. If ever there was a moment when Nick Marrocco should get a call . . . Defensively, they clearly need some time to gel - injuries have clearly affected the unit's cohesion. I think Kennedy is a keeper. He'll only get more comfortable, and while he might get bumped in the short term, I'd imagine he should be in the team's long term plans.

The Chaos are so balanced. Tough loss, but they got contributions from everywhere. In a previous post, I threw some shade at Kyle Jackson and Will Perry's production. They both scored in this one, but Jackson in particular came alive (3g). They got goals from 9 players (multiple goals from 6) and assists from 7. Minicus is having a fantastic rookie campaign, and Tye Kurtz has quietly entered the fray as a reliable contributor. Will Bowen is making several teams look foolish for passing on him (4 CT, 3 GB). Their transition offensive is quite productive, but their downfall in this came was their transition/FO defense. They'll adjust, but their aggressive style of play might make them often vulnerable to the counterattack. This is very much still a team in the top half of the league.

Also, on a previous post I discussed some shot totals for teams - please disregard. Apparently, the "S" category on the PLL website stands for "scores" (1 pt goals + 2 pt goals) and not "shots". :roll: I should've double checked though.

Rankings currently are (Shots on goal, 1 pt SH, 2 pt SH):
Waterdogs - 168/251/32
Archers - 166/279/29
Cannons - 164/250/27
Whipsnakes - 164/255/37
Atlas - 162/251/45
Chaos - 147/232/27
Redwoods - 143/241/28
Chrome - 141/217/19
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Your insightful content is always appreciated. Wish there were more such reads out there . IL and some other lax writers do decent summations but hopingto see a active discussion board some day . Top end college lax is my first choice but PLL fills a lax gap between college seasons. Very much enjoy watching former college greats continuing , some play pro ball lax year round but somewhat amazes that those who dont are able to retain such high level skills given short practicies that are only once a week . Tells me that players are serious and responsible to personal prep needed . Tip of the cap to them .Sloppy at times but full of incredible highlights as well , dont think top d1's could stay close given depth of talents and physical maturity of men. Will PLL succeed and grow ? Doesn't appeal to me but NLL has figured out how to turn a profit with avid fanbase and large crowds with many of the same lead players ..Know different audiences and expenses but Rabills appear to be bright enough businessman to adjust formula to land this.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Lax Mouse wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 10:19 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:25 pm
Appreciate the kind words! I agree, I think this the games are typically very exciting, and it's fun to watch the guys continue to compete after college. The lack of practice time also creates some miscues, but they're definitely putting a fun product on the field. Between this and the sixes tournament (which I genuinely enjoyed more than I thought I would), they definitely are putting entertaining games on display. But to DQKing's point, I have no insider knowledge on how profitable it is at the moment. They typically put out a lot of stats around engagement numbers, but not profits/overall revenue (to my knowledge). I think they benefit a bit by having some investors who care about lacrosse enough to shoulder a bit of a loss, but you're right, if that is/continues to be the case, who knows. I have to imagine the move to a city-based model next year is designed to ameliorate some of those pain points and increase local revenue.

Regarding to the last game of the weekend - the Whips got a key win but lost Tyler Warner to injury and had Dunn sit out before game time. The injuries are hitting them hard. Brad Smith was brilliant in his return, especially in the first half. He had both a 1 and 2 pt goal along with an assist. The Whips midfield were fairly limited in the second half, but the attack stepped up big time (5 of their 6 goals in the second). This coincided with a switch to more two man looks, and Manny had the winner late. They had a good amount of points in transition. The offense, and midfield in particular, looked sloppy in the first. They had a number of turnovers and it seemed like Stags kind of moved the game plan away from them - which worked. I think they'll bounce back, but we'll see if the offensive game plan shifts more permanently to the 2 man. That might limit some of their skillset. Krebs had some decent saves in his first start, but he didn't really look like the long term answer. If ever there was a moment when Nick Marrocco should get a call . . . Defensively, they clearly need some time to gel - injuries have clearly affected the unit's cohesion. I think Kennedy is a keeper. He'll only get more comfortable, and while he might get bumped in the short term, I'd imagine he should be in the team's long term plans.

The Chaos are so balanced. Tough loss, but they got contributions from everywhere. In a previous post, I threw some shade at Kyle Jackson and Will Perry's production. They both scored in this one, but Jackson in particular came alive (3g). They got goals from 9 players (multiple goals from 6) and assists from 7. Minicus is having a fantastic rookie campaign, and Tye Kurtz has quietly entered the fray as a reliable contributor. Will Bowen is making several teams look foolish for passing on him (4 CT, 3 GB). Their transition offensive is quite productive, but their downfall in this came was their transition/FO defense. They'll adjust, but their aggressive style of play might make them often vulnerable to the counterattack. This is very much still a team in the top half of the league.

Also, on a previous post I discussed some shot totals for teams - please disregard. Apparently, the "S" category on the PLL website stands for "scores" (1 pt goals + 2 pt goals) and not "shots". :roll: I should've double checked though.

Rankings currently are (Shots on goal, 1 pt SH, 2 pt SH):
Waterdogs - 168/251/32
Archers - 166/279/29
Cannons - 164/250/27
Whipsnakes - 164/255/37
Atlas - 162/251/45
Chaos - 147/232/27
Redwoods - 143/241/28
Chrome - 141/217/19

Hey LaxMouse, a couple things. First, thanks for the write ups, really enjoy. Second, in the NHL (of which I am a big fan) with a game generally every other to every 3rd day and NHLPA mandated days off plus brutal travel, I'm not so sure the PLL guys practice all that much less ratably as the NHL guys (acknowledging that the NHL season is 6 months and the preseason is longer). NHL Teams are lucky to get in two practices a week in season, and mostly one.
Third, thoughts on Coach Tierney on the color? I thought he was solid with some good insight. I think he coached 5-6 guys that played last weekend.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

I thought Coach Tierney did well! I am generally a fan of most of the PLL and main college commentators (there's good and bad all around), but I think Tierney had very insightful comments. It's a crowded box with 3 commentators + a field reporter, and while he was a bit more reserved than the others on air (not too surprising considering the personalities involved), when he did speak up, I enjoyed the insight. Hopefully, as he gets more comfortable in that role, he'll share more freely.

I hear what you're saying about the NHL, but they also play around 80 games. Longer preseason +80 games + an average of 1 practice per game = a lot more touchpoints as a team than the PLL (10 games + an average of 1 practice per game). Proportionally, you're right. But they're still playing and learning together around eight times as much. There's also a lot more structured team time away from games and practices. I feel like that all makes a difference.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Very excited to be able to watch the games in person this weekend. I'm not sure if you can tell from the camera angles just how packed it was today. A lot of folks in bar down, the premier zone, concession lines, and standing 4-5 people deep along the fence. Great atmosphere all day.

Atlas came so close to what would be a season defining win. Chris Gray came to play (4g, 1 2pt, 2a). Teat dished out 5 assists I think. Law was pretty quiet with 1 goal. First midfield was looking like Dickson, Costabile, and Curry. All played well. Dennis still got plenty of runs but had 0 goals on 5 shots. Guterding also saw increased playing time but went 0 for 1 and didn't catalyze much on offense. At this point, it's pretty clear that there is little value added by having them in the lineup. Maybe it's time to get Cockerton in the lineup, maybe give O'Rourke another chance, or maybe scour the player pool. They need some extra juice from the midfield depth. Baptiste won the battle against Sisselberger, but it was close. It seemed like Koby got banged up and wasn't in much in the second half. Their transition defense was a major liability today. They lost today because they couldn't keep up with the Archers late. Their lack of depth left a lot of players winded on the sidelines. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, keeping Dearth out of the lineup for Richard/Comizio has been costly. Richard had a nice trail check at one point, but other than that, they both struggled off ball and were beat cleanly on ball several times. The defense played better as a whole, but they were beat by crafty moves around the crease, especially early. They had a chance to win late: the plan was clearly to get the ball to Curry and to have him initiate the offense against a shorty from X. The Archers anticipated this and Bond face guarded him well. There was no backup plan. Gray (who had the ball) and the offense didn't know what to do and they missed an opportunity. That's poor planning and coaching. This game was a step in the right direction for sure. But personnel decisions and coaching are still holding this team back.

The Archers composure and coaching won them this game. Schreiber scores the winner in overtime. Ament was running out of the box again and is still clearly hobbled. The attack was aggressive early and played well throughout. Outside of Schreiber (2g 2a), their offensive midfield had 1 assist (Ament). They got 7 points from Maher/Harris/Conners/Bond. The defense did a good job in the second half of staying step by step with the Atlas and limiting their ability to get separation. This was not their best performance as a team this season, but they've clinched a playoff spot.

The Chrome are bad. They had 3g from Ferrara (why he was ever taken out of the lineup is baffling) and 2g from MacIntosh (both on the PP). No one on this offense is creating separation and threatening a defense. Wisnauskas has disappeared in his sophomore season, Morrill had quieted from his fast start, and the midfield has been inexcusably ineffective. They've run Handley, Anderson, MacIntosh, and Heacock out there most of the season. Handley is doing alright with 11 pts, but it's by far below what the expectation was. Anderson has 8 in 7 games. MacIntosh has 5 points on the year (2 of which were today). Heacock has 1. There's no excuse for that kind of production with the talent in this league. They got rid of Rogers and haven't dressed Cole Williams yet this season. They need to try something new. Soudan has stuck with "his" guys, but they're not playing well. He touted King's return as a panacea for the offense. He's produced a bit, but he's clearly not the whole answer and did not magically get the offense going. I really thought Williams would get the nod in Baltimore. Defensively, things are fine. Not great, especially at LSM, but giving up 12 should not be a death sentence in this league. The decision not to dress Farrell backfired today. This offense has talent, but they're not playing like it, and there have been minimal personnel adjustments made to right the ship.

The Whipsnakes won handily, but they did not play a great game. They benefitted from playing far and away the worst team in the league. Their defense was solid, slid well, doubled, and really punished an incompetent offense today. Chanenchuck had a great game from the midfield (3g 1 2pt 1a). Dordevic seems to really be in Stagnitta's dog house but I don't know why. He had no turnovers today, but he was getting an earful from Stags late for lack of hustle (Chanenchuck rolled him the ball and he didn't run for it, but he also couldn't cross the midfield line and the roll was bad, so I don't know). He also didn't register a single shot. It's very clear that Stags has moved the entire offensive game plan away from Tucker. He's not been given the space or scheme to initiate like he was early in the season. Something's up, and it's a shame. Some players are given a lot of rope in this league and some aren't, and it's frustrating. The attack has also been grossly underperforming. Manny did alright (2g 2a), but Zed and Rambo had 1 point each. They're clearly not playing at the level we're used to seeing. The offense as a whole looked sloppy at times, and there were a number of veterans who seemed to have the ball die in their stick often. They should make the playoffs, but they've got a ways to go if they want to compete with the top teams.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Haven't had time to get my thoughts on the Sunday games down yet, but it looks like the Atlas are trading Romar Dennis to the Woods for Myles Jones.

Gotta admit that this feels like a bit of a head scratcher: they offer very similar skillsets and both have underperformed this season.

Maybe the coaches are hoping a change in scenery might revitalize them?

For the Atlas, maybe the thought is that Jones is a more physical dodger and a more developed passer. Their midfield could use a big, physical presence. Dennis is tall, but he usually tries to beat the defender with speed and not physicality. Curry has been excellent as a passer this season for them, but it doesn't hurt to have another player looking to dish the rock after contact/drawing slides.

For the Woods, it could be the inverse. They might be looking for speed and finishing. Montgomery certainly has speed, but has thus far been unable to bury shots when he's created separation. Dennis is in theory better at that, though he has struggled with shooting this season as well.

Curious as to everyone else's thoughts!
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Myles Jones just hasn't looked right/the same in quite a while and just seems to be out there. I think Dennis has the better upside of the two but he is going to the Redwoods and they look absolutely terrible on offense. St. Laurent should needs to worry about his strategies (or should I say John Grant Jrs) and stop barking at officials like Palumb. If it wasn't for the Chrome (not sure what's going on with Soudan but he needs to take a page out of Holman's book) the Redwoods would have the worse scoring differential in the league.

Atlas are the winnes in this trade, by a razor thin margin.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Lax Mouse wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:50 pm Haven't had time to get my thoughts on the Sunday games down yet, but it looks like the Atlas are trading Romar Dennis to the Woods for Myles Jones.

Gotta admit that this feels like a bit of a head scratcher: they offer very similar skillsets and both have underperformed this season.

Maybe the coaches are hoping a change in scenery might revitalize them?

For the Atlas, maybe the thought is that Jones is a more physical dodger and a more developed passer. Their midfield could use a big, physical presence. Dennis is tall, but he usually tries to beat the defender with speed and not physicality. Curry has been excellent as a passer this season for them, but it doesn't hurt to have another player looking to dish the rock after contact/drawing slides.

For the Woods, it could be the inverse. They might be looking for speed and finishing. Montgomery certainly has speed, but has thus far been unable to bury shots when he's created separation. Dennis is in theory better at that, though he has struggled with shooting this season as well.

Curious as to everyone else's thoughts!
Different sport - both had past success but allure today is Vernon Gholstonesqe . Posssess enticing physical attributes but their borderline play simply doesn't match the look. Maybe a change of scenery elevates Prefer Jones because he can actually pass off dodges . Dennis has greater range but his inaccuracy negates much , this past weekend he took a inexcusable outside shot from gle , not sure tbh time left on shot clock but inexcusable if not run down. Totally agree that Curry should be seeing more minutes, he can separate and create. Watched him draw off dodges from x and kicked out several well placed passes that had Archers D scrambling .
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Both Pressler and Nat have released statements regarding the trade. They pretty much confirm our thoughts.

Pressler wants to add a physical, passing presence from the midfield and Nat wants more speed. Seems like a fairly even trade all around, though how we judge it will ultimately come down to how the coaches fit them into their game plans and adjust where necessary.

At this point, I trust the Woods to do a better job at that.

This likely leaves the Atlas with Costabile, Dickson, Curry, Jones, and Guterding/O'Rourke/Cockerton/Molloy out of the midfield. If you didn't see, they also claimed Dylan Molloy from the player pool today. Cockerton might be the best fit for this offense and its needs, but Pressler clearly wants more physical play. I imagine he gets Molloy involved early. I worry that he'll use these additions to limit the roles of guys like Curry and possibly Dickson. They've played well and deserve more runs. They've produced when given the chance. Offense is not where this team needs the most adjustments. That would be defense, and specifically transition defense/communication. I just think Pressler doesn't have a good grasp on his team. He's essentially brought down one of the most talented teams in the league. That may sound harsh, but this team has imploded under his leadership.

The Woods likely roll out Dennis with Kirst, Heningburg, Bertrand, and either Montgomery or Rogers. Rogers has played well for being thrust into a new lineup mid season. Montgomery clearly can separate, but hasn't been burying shots, much like Dennis.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

A few quick thoughts on last week's Sunday games before I look ahead to this week:

This might be the best Chaos team that's taken the field, and that's scary. Will Bowen has solidified a fantastic rope unit and Blaze is as impenetrable as ever (nearly 60% last week and on the season). Their 2 2pt goals this week really turned the tide late, but their offense did play well for large stretches of the game after the first quarter. Kyle Jackson has reemerged as a steady contributor in the second half of the season (2g 1a last week and 3g the week before). He's attacking from different angles and in different ways, and his dynamism is taking pressure off the attack. In general, this offense is incredibly balanced and is playing at a high level, even with Josh Byrne's injury-related absence. Nine players recorded a point this week, and Brian Minicus wasn't one of them. I saw him in person this weekend - the speed is not overhyped. Cloutier stepped up and scored 4g this past weekend. The fact that he's spent much of the season on the bench is a testament to the depth of this team and the challenge of getting game reps in this league. We still haven't seen Chase Fraser in some time either, and he was a key component of their offensive success the last few years. There are teams that don't play the right talented players, and then there's teams like the Chaos that simply do not have room for everyone. This team mixes young and veteran talent seamlessly, and they have no shortage of playmakers who can step up and step back when needed.

The Woods fought hard and continue to show improvement with their offensive personnel overhaul. Cole Kirst has been the star of the show (4g this weekend and leads the midfield in points with only 4 games played). What really stuck out to me this week was the variety of ways he scored (cutting, alley dodge, roll back dodge against Bowen, and I forget the 4th). He's constantly moving off-ball and has been a jolt of energy to a stagnant midfield. That being said, the entire midfield showed up this past week. Their first four goals were Rogers, Kirst, Heningburg, and Bertrand. The personnel adaptations by the coaching staff have paid off well. Pannell and Garnsey had 6 assists combined, but the team as a whole still could use some midfield passing to get over the hump. Rogers has actually done well in this capacity, but he'll see his time curtailed by the acquisition of Romar Dennis. Montgomery has had a few weeks on the offensive end at this point, and still is having trouble finding the back of the net. This is a playoff team, and the impending reintroduction of a healthy Owen Grant could strengthen this team even further. I'd expect them to be competitors late into the season if they continue on this trajectory.

The Cannons had a statement win during what's been a statement season for them. This team in unselfish and bought in. Kirst absolutely stole some looks in net, but ball movement and speed really pushed them over the Waterdogs. Of all the team's I watched this past weekend, no team had more off ball movement, cutting, and hustle than the Cannons. Coach Holman has really pushed the players to their best. Like the Chaos, the balance of this team stands out to me. Seven players had a point and no one scored more than two goals. Kavanagh had the most shots with seven. They pass and find the best looks. The Cannons play with the cohesion of a college team (in the fact that it seems like they've been practicing together for months non-stop).

The Waterdogs struggled offensively with the loss of McConvey to injury early. It was a nasty push. They seemed a bit winded by the extra movement of the Cannons. For the first time this season, I thought Mazzone clearly struggled at times. They had him down low all game, I'd love to see more of him prowling the field at LSM. The scoring depth was not present this week. Only 4 players registered points. McArdle and Sowers played well, but the rest of the team felt a bit sluggish and struggled to win 1:1 matchups. This clearly wasn't their best week, but Copelan has shown he knows how to bring this team together. I think they'll respond this week - the Atlas D has been susceptible to ball movement all year, and without Dearth, I think the Waterdogs should feast on whoever their non Danny Logan SSDM is on the field.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

At this point in the season, some team's lineups feel pretty solidified give or take the injury situation: Archers, Cannons, Chaos, Waterdogs, Whipsnakes.

The Redwoods are a great example of a team that, while a little slow initially, are starting to to adjust well. It always hurts to move on from established veterans, but Jones and Perkovic were simply not producing. Giving Kirst more runs has paid dividends; if his play continues I think he'll be in the ROTY conversation. Rogers has been a nice complimentary addition as well; I think it's a bit unfortunate that he got bumped from the lineup this week because of Dennis's addition. I think Romar will potentially be a great addition from the lineup. If he can land some twos, that'd be great, but I imagine the goal really needs to be initiating from up top, drawing slides with speed, and dishing the rock. The midfield played well last week - I'd try to let them get settled and not mess with too much just yet. Also - I haven't said - but I've really been impressed with Chris Merle at SSDM. He's had a solid year and I feel like he's held his own pretty well.

I feel like I criticize the Atlas coaching decisions every week, so I'll try to be brief. They'll have a newly acquired Myles Jones in the lineup, and I hope he does well. The offensive system has not been consistent, and they really need to find an identity that works. This is an attack built for ball movement, but the offense hasn't really been functioning with that purpose in mind. Like Dennis for the Woods, they really need Jones to step up as a passer off the dodge. The trade was a bit even and maybe the change in scenery will help both players, but this isn't a team that needs more alley dodges with shots from up top. They've found success with Curry inverts and dishes and when the attack takes control of the offensive flow. Defensively, the omission of Peter Dearth from the lineup yet again is baffling. He's the 7th best defender (not just SSDM) in the league in opponent shot%. He's claimable now and someone would be wise to grab him (a number of teams should be interested). Comizio has played like a decent 3rd or 4th option this year and Richard has been their biggest liability on defense. I clearly just don't understand the choice.

The Chrome are the Chrome. No Handley this week. Cole Williams is in (as he should be), but unless he was simply unavailable, Handley should not have been the player taken out (he's their leading scorer from the midfield). Heacock has 1g and has played most of the season. King has 4 pts in about half a season and MacIntosh has 5 in nearly a whole season (much of which came last week).

I truly don't know what's going on in Pressler and Soudan's minds, but they've made the most maddening decisions all season long, and have nothing to show for it.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”