PLL 2023

PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE
Lax Mouse

PLL 2023

Post by Lax Mouse »

With camp wrapping up for this Summer - thought we'd start a new thread.
Lax Mouse

Re: PLL 2023

Post by Lax Mouse »

Training Camp cuts were made this morning, and teams are down to their 25 man rosters (19 will dress for the weekend, with 2 alternates/reserves I believe).

Only a few surprises today, but I think that underscores the competitiveness of these rosters and the difficulty making a team.

Drafted players this year that were cut were Kyle Long (Atlas) and Grant Ammann (Cannons).

Long may very well end up somewhere else, I can't see where the room for him in a loaded Atlas offense right now would be. Teams that might give him a look this season include the Cannons *although they also have a glut of offensive players*, Chaos, and Whips (although the Waterdogs currently have a spot open I think and could come sniffing).

Ammann is tougher to project. He has solid potential, but the defensive rosters and space is so limited. I am surprised to see the Cannons part with one of their League lowest 2 draft picks, especially when I feel like their D still has a number of questions. Could be they look to scoop up another defender from the pool, are imminently awaiting Brodie Merrill's return, or they do feel really good about the other guys they have.

A number of draft picks were moved to PUP or Unable to Travel (Cam Wyers, Tye Kurtz, Jack Myers, Owen Grant, Thomas McConvey, and Elijah Gash). Have to imagine a few of them are working through VISA issues.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Gameday rosters out yesterday. A few surprises – but media day today might clear up some of the decisions/statuses of players.

Decisions by Archers, Chaos, Redwoods, Waterdogs, and Whipsnakes mostly aligned with what I was expecting (having no insider knowledge/watching camp). Jake Bernhardt not getting on with the Whips is a mild surprise, but I think it speaks loudly about their confidence in Warner, Puglise, and the availability and ability of 2-way middies in Kirst and Leadmon. Was also hoping to see some more Brett Kennedy this year for the Chaos, hopefully he’s still part of the team’s long-term plans as CJ Costabile nears the end of his career.

The Atlas were always going to have some interesting decisions to make. Offensively, Curry’s inclusion over Guterding is hopefully a positive sign for his development and usage in year 2. It was hard to know exactly how the defense was going to shake out – this team has almost two full groups of starting caliber defenders and LSMs. Smith and van Raaphorst being left out seems insane, but with no true film of camp, who knows who impressed most? They have 5 starting caliber defenders, although Durkin is likely towards the end of his career. Will Pressler continue his predecessor’s tactic of trading players for draft assets? The Cannons could use some defensive help/depth.

Rehfuss being put on reserve, and left off the gameday roster, for the Cannons, is also a bit of a surprise. He, and the whole offense, struggled at times last year, but his skillset and IQ brings something different to the offense, especially out of the box. New coaches and players have complicated projections for this team’s lineup, but I do think there are a number of teams that could use his services (Chaos, Chrome). The Cannons could use some draft capital.

The Chrome sitting Molloy, after so much noise was made about their lack of depth at attack, also comes as a surprise. Morrill and Ferrera will likely join Wisnauskas at attack, giving them a prime opportunity to show their skills. Chrome and Chaos have the fewest pure offensive players dressed for week 1, so they’ll both be leaning on more of the 2-way guys they have. Still, not seeing either Williams or Rogers in the lineup, especially after the Championship series, was curious.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Good read, appreciate rundown Lax Mouse
lorin

Post by lorin »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:00 pm Good read, appreciate rundown Lax Mouse
New 32 second shot clock has to go, I want to watch great offensive players not FO and wing guys play offense.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

It's definitely an interesting change. We'll have to see how it plays out over the course of the season, and the toll it takes on the FO guys.

On the one hand, I liked how it gives teams less time to stall (especially at the end of a game). And it'll force players to develop their versatility.

But the different shot clock lengths between after FO wins and regular possessions just seems like it'll cause confusion and a lack of calibration throughout the season.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Woods take the first game 13-12.

Garnsey carried the Woods offense but they got solid contributions from Pannell and Berg. Midfield got its points but the "big" line was a bit underwhelming in this offensive system. Jones, Heningburg, and Bertrand had a goal each I think. Montgomery impressed with a handful of assists. Kelly was superb in net, but Atlas did not test him with great shots. The poles were solid and disruptive. Biggest questions for the Woods before the season was SSDM depth, especially behind IDA, but Merle surprised me and, as mentioned, Montgomery has really developed into a critical two way threat.

Bulls remain the best team on paper, but again seem to struggle putting a cohesive performance together. Defense was fine, no major blunders and the rookies, while not earth shattering, had okay debuts. Logan's injury had an effect for sure. I think Dearth is one of the more underrated SSDMs in the league, and Richard is one of the more overrated ones (at this point in his career). Got beat a few times today. If Logan and Rezanka are out long term, expect to see Comizio start to get some reps in the GameDay roster. The offense was wildly unreliable. Dennis did not have a good game. To be honest, the lack of consistent production seemed more schematic to me. A number of players had good plays throughout the game (and Dickson had a great debut), but spacing was off and the flow of the offense a bit anemic. They need to do a better job pushing the offense through Teat. O'Rourke didn't look great on the larger field, and the extra runs on D for Costabile limited his offensive production (though he still had a good game statistically). I think Curry needs more touches. Season is young, but they've got to get their offensive system in place quick.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Archers take game 2 16-13.

Really impressed with the Archers O. Grant, O'Keefe, and Fields at attack is going to be a lot for opposing teams to deal with. Sisselberger is as advertised and shores up this team's biggest weakness. Bond and Maher handled themselves well at SSDM, and Harris is still in top form. Dobson was spectacular in cage. The poles were a little underwhelming but once they're back at their full complement, this team has all the pieces. They didn't score in Q1 and still put up 16.

Cannons are much improved on O. I still don't know why Rehfuss wasn't dressed. Nolting stepped up with a handful of assists but there are a lot of finishers on this team. Assists, especially from the midfield, felt in short supply - and this is Rehfuss's specialty. Holman and Drenner had big games scoring. This team still needs some help on D. I wasn't inspired by their additions this off-season and I don't know if this unit will improve throughout the year. Rees had a couple of troubling penalties. Once the Archers started scoring, they couldn't stop. FO is still a huge problem. Maybe Kelly was truly better than Phaup in camp, but Phaup looked good in relief action a year ago and I don't know if Kelly can consistently compete with the top guys in the League. Energy and effort was present in a much higher supply than a year ago, though, and I feel like this team will certainly improve on last year's record.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Waterdogs win 8-7 in OT.

Connor Kelly with the game winner, but I imagine Chaos fans are feeling a lot better about their team's performance than the Dogs. Tucci struggled at the X and the Waterdogs offense was stagnant in settled sets throughout much of the game. Sowers didn't get involved until late. The chaos D was impressive, but the Dogs did a poor job having their MVP candidate initiate their offense. DeLuca did fine in cage but this is Ward's job as soon as he's back. The D played okay against a diminished offense (chaos missing an offense worth of starters). They'll be hoping Withers comes back soon, Reilly gets healthier, and that the offense starts to calm down and play patiently. DeNapoli's leadership in the middle of the field was missed. Not an impressive opener from the defending champs.

Chaos will have the L on their record, but what a defensive effort. Came away really impressed with Rowlett at the X (he and Adler will have quite the competition for starting reps). The defense was disruptive and physical and prevented the Dogs from getting in sync. They got a good one in Bowen. Blaze is Blaze - made crucial saves throughout. The offense was not good, but that was to be expected. Shouldn't be an issue much longer as the NLL champs make their way back into the roster. Minicus looked okay in his debut - he'll need to be more aggressive but that confidence should come with experience. Smith played well and will benefit from a stronger supporting cast. Perry, Jasinski, and Jackson had good moments. Voight had a goal, but was inconsistent. Hard to see how Patterson (who missed several good looks), Voight, and even Perry and Jasinski stay on the GameDay roster throughout the summer. Promising start for them though as a team.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Chrome beat Whips 12-11

Rookie Ferrara wins it with 5 seconds to go after Dordevic tied it just a minute earlier. Chrome D looked good - Rambo was held without a goal, but did have 3 assists. Anderson had a monster game. Handley did well in his debut - just one goal but he bulldozed Warner to do it. Seemed to play patiently and limited mistakes. This offense will be even more dangerous when Molloy and Nichtern return. Ferrera had some rookie mistakes, but of course also the game winner and showed a lot of glimpses of the skillset that'll make him an asset. Wisnauskas had a relatively quiet game but he did soak up a lot of attention. Morrill was highly efficient - multiple assists with minimal turnovers. They might want to do some experimenting with that third midfield spot, but not a bad opener and reinforcements on the way.

Whips were in this until the end. Defense seemed to lack more cohesion than normal. Bernlohr stole some goals. I thought Puglise looked decent, and I thought Warner had a rough outing. Decent debut for LaSalla but Farrell got the better of him as the game went on. Offensively, Rambo dished out some assists but didn't push or force the issue as much as he could've - he seemed quiet at times. Manny had a good first game in a whips uniform, I think a couple of goals at least. They'll improve as Williams returns and Smith gets healthy. Dordevic had some rookie moments as well, but he'll get settled in. His tying goal towards the end was a great shot on the run. Lulley and Reid did not have the most effective games in replacement duty. They probably won't have the same run of regular season success as last year, and the loss hurts, but the new pieces showed promise.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Chanenechuck is getting up there in age but still a helluva player. He is understated talent in league if not underrated. Andersen of Chrome gives Whips fits.
lorin

Post by lorin »

stupefied wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 am Chanenechuck is getting up there in age but still a helluva player. He is understated talent in league if not underrated. Andersen of Chrome gives Whips fits.
Hanley will help Anderson even more, should get a shortie on him more often then last year
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:48 pm Chrome beat Whips 12-11

Rookie Ferrara wins it with 5 seconds to go after Dordevic tied it just a minute earlier. Chrome D looked good - Rambo was held without a goal, but did have 3 assists. Anderson had a monster game. Handley did well in his debut - just one goal but he bulldozed Warner to do it. Seemed to play patiently and limited mistakes. This offense will be even more dangerous when Molloy and Nichtern return. Ferrera had some rookie mistakes, but of course also the game winner and showed a lot of glimpses of the skillset that'll make him an asset. Wisnauskas had a relatively quiet game but he did soak up a lot of attention. Morrill was highly efficient - multiple assists with minimal turnovers. They might want to do some experimenting with that third midfield spot, but not a bad opener and reinforcements on the way.

Whips were in this until the end. Defense seemed to lack more cohesion than normal. Bernlohr stole some goals. I thought Puglise looked decent, and I thought Warner had a rough outing. Decent debut for LaSalla but Farrell got the better of him as the game went on. Offensively, Rambo dished out some assists but didn't push or force the issue as much as he could've - he seemed quiet at times. Manny had a good first game in a whips uniform, I think a couple of goals at least. They'll improve as Williams returns and Smith gets healthy. Dordevic had some rookie moments as well, but he'll get settled in. His tying goal towards the end was a great shot on the run. Lulley and Reid did not have the most effective games in replacement duty. They probably won't have the same run of regular season success as last year, and the loss hurts, but the new pieces showed promise.
Good write up. Thanks for taking the time.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Some player movement this week and changeups for the Week 2 rosters.

Major Roster Moves:
- Cannons waive Stephen Rehfuss
- Atlas pick up Rehfuss and waive Cade Van Raaphorst
- Archers waive Mark McNeill, move up Warren Jeffrey from Unavailable to Travel List
- Chaos waive 6 players (Jasinski, Ragonese, George, Patterson, Zinn, Kennedy) and move 6 onto the roster from Unavailable to Travel (Fraser, Byrne, Cloutier, Smith, Adler, Mackay)
- Woods get Lee and McLaughlin from Unavailable to Travel, and the Dogs get Dillon Ward back as well
- Whips scoop up Kennedy (waive Cambere), put Smith on PUP and move Williams up from Unavailable to Travel

Gameday Roster Notes

Archers - Ament out of lineup with nagging injury from week 1. Coaches are downplaying its severity so hopefully he'll be back soon. Desimone likely to get start at attack. Aughavin in lineup this week. Jeffrey replaces Eddy.

Atlas - Same lineup from week 1. If Logan's injury is still bothersome, expect Comizio to get pushed up from the reserve roster. Koby Smith still out of the lineup. Rehfuss not in lineup this week (not too surprising considering recency of acquisition).

Cannons - Ethan Rall in for Hartzell. Still going with Stephen Kelly at FO over Phaup, despite going 28.6% in week 1 and under 50% a year ago.

Chaos - NLL players are back, so major shift in lineup. Dhane Smith out this week, and Nick Rowlett gets the starting FO nod over Adler, but the other four are back in.

Chrome - Still no Molloy in the lineup. This has caused quite the stir. Soudan sticking with Wisnauskas, Morrill, and Ferrara after week 1. Still no Cole Williams either, which is less shocking, but after his solid performance in the Championship Series, it is a little eye opening. MacIntosh, while a captain, did not produce much in week 1, but still lands a spot.

Redwoods - Lee and McLaughlin not in lineup. With Bertrand out due to a nagging injury, Cole Kirst gets his first PLL action.

Waterdogs - Hannah to PUP makes room for Kyle Borda to get his first PLL nod. Reilly replaces Tucci at the X. Ward back in the lineup.

Whipsnakes - Williams back in the lineup at Attack. Lulley and Reid are out. Brad Smith on PUP, and Stagnitta dresses another SSDM (Sallade).
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lax Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:44 pm
Great work up as usual.

That Molloy news… I get it, Ferrara earned his spot. But does this mean that if no Molloy next week, he is available for other teams to scoop? If so, that’s a big loss.

I’m enjoying the season thus far. Thanks for creating some banter on it.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Thanks for the kind words!

Would love to have more discussion here. I just think it's so great we get more lacrosse throughout the summer. And the games have been very competitive.

Won't be able to watch many of the games live this weekend but saw half of each today. Hopefully I can re-watch this week.

Chrome looked badly out of sync in the first half. Sloppy all over and poor decision making and shooting in transition. It felt like they barely touched the ball. Morrill had a great game but that's about it. Think it's about past time they actually put Molloy back in the lineup. I also understand the rationale for this week's roster choices, but it clearly didn't work. Gotta move on and get better. Wisnauskas has had a quiet start to the year too.

Archers clearly missed Ament, but Schreiber really took over. As much as I'm rooting for Desimone, he really didn't do much at attack. Giles-Harris blanketed him and took him out of the game. On the other hand, that allowed the rest of the offense to flow without worrying about JT. In the first half at least, the offense seemed very ball-carrier dominant - a lot of individual efforts to mixed success. Dobson really is having a tremendous start in net.

Saw the second half of Woods/Dogs. Happy for Cole Kirst - he had a big day (2g 1a). How do you take him out of the lineup now? Lee and McLaughlin should get some runs soon. Bertrand's injury adds a question mark to the lineup. Demaio hasn't produced much, but neither have Jones, Heningburg, or Perkovic. Do you sit some of those foundation players to let the rook in the game? Kelly has been really impressive in cage, and Epple erased Sowers once they were paired up.

Dogs need offensive help. D has been solid. DeLuca played even though Ward was back. He did pretty well. Offense looked stagnant once Epple took Sowers out of the game. They need McConvey in the lineup bad. And someone else who can initiate. Unsure what Schlosser's recovery timeline still is, but with him and Hannah out, there's been limited midfield production. Who can dish the ball consistently when Sowers is locked up? They haven't cracked 10 goals yet.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Lax Mouse wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:51 pm Thanks for the kind words!

Would love to have more discussion here. I just think it's so great we get more lacrosse throughout the summer. And the games have been very competitive.

Won't be able to watch many of the games live this weekend but saw half of each today. Hopefully I can re-watch this week.

Chrome looked badly out of sync in the first half. Sloppy all over and poor decision making and shooting in transition. It felt like they barely touched the ball. Morrill had a great game but that's about it. Think it's about past time they actually put Molloy back in the lineup. I also understand the rationale for this week's roster choices, but it clearly didn't work. Gotta move on and get better. Wisnauskas has had a quiet start to the year too.

Archers clearly missed Ament, but Schreiber really took over. As much as I'm rooting for Desimone, he really didn't do much at attack. Giles-Harris blanketed him and took him out of the game. On the other hand, that allowed the rest of the offense to flow without worrying about JT. In the first half at least, the offense seemed very ball-carrier dominant - a lot of individual efforts to mixed success. Dobson really is having a tremendous start in net.

Saw the second half of Woods/Dogs. Happy for Cole Kirst - he had a big day (2g 1a). How do you take him out of the lineup now? Lee and McLaughlin should get some runs soon. Bertrand's injury adds a question mark to the lineup. Demaio hasn't produced much, but neither have Jones, Heningburg, or Perkovic. Do you sit some of those foundation players to let the rook in the game? Kelly has been really impressive in cage, and Epple erased Sowers once they were paired up.

Dogs need offensive help. D has been solid. DeLuca played even though Ward was back. He did pretty well. Offense looked stagnant once Epple took Sowers out of the game. They need McConvey in the lineup bad. And someone else who can initiate. Unsure what Schlosser's recovery timeline still is, but with him and Hannah out, there's been limited midfield production. Who can dish the ball consistently when Sowers is locked up? They haven't cracked 10 goals yet.
I think Chrome coach made big mistake he should of just set Molloy for first game, now he has to eat Crowe and bring Molloy back. Ferrara will be good down the road but not fair to put that much pressure on kid, also he got a taste of what it’s like to get # 1 pole on you.

Curious to see how Whipsnakes play today especially Rambo.
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

I do think the Chrome offense needs a spark.

Lack of possessions and turnovers really doomed them in the first half. I agree, it's beyond time to get Molloy back in the lineup. Hard to make sweeping claims that this will be the answer, or that it would've changed the outcome yesterday. But looking at the roster over the first 2 games. Who's produced consistently? Who hasn't? Molloy, Rogers, and Williams all should get some opportunities. Myers when healthy too. I know MacIntosh is a team leader, a veteran, and from all accounts a really good guy. But where's the effect on the field? I think Wisnauskas will get better looks when Molloy is soaking up the defense's attention. Someone's got to initiate and demand attention from the midfield position. Anderson had a great game 1, and disappeared a bit yesterday. The whole midfield was quiet honestly. 1 point from the midfield (a goal from Messenger). Only 1 assistant all game from the whole team. That's not good offense.

Excited for Atlas Whips today. I think with Williams back, and Dordevic with some PLL game experience, the O should be better. Will the Atlas D show improvement? Loser goes 0-2. That'd be a crazy thought two weeks ago.
Basement Bias

Post by Basement Bias »

Thoughts on PLL basically going to the MLL model? I keep saying we need 3 pro leagues. NLL remains but adjust the schedule. Then bring the MLL back tied to cities near the heart of college lacrosse blue bloods that runs along the college season. Think Hopkins on Saturday at Homewood and the Bayhawks on Sunday. Then go to PLL a weekend or 2 after Memorial Day to Labor Day with the current travel tour & no affiliated cities.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Basement Bias wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:39 pm Thoughts on PLL basically going to the MLL model? I keep saying we need 3 pro leagues. NLL remains but adjust the schedule. Then bring the MLL back tied to cities near the heart of college lacrosse blue bloods that runs along the college season. Think Hopkins on Saturday at Homewood and the Bayhawks on Sunday. Then go to PLL a weekend or 2 after Memorial Day to Labor Day with the current travel tour & no affiliated cities.
One of the Barstool podcast personalities made a really intriguing proposition. He suggested that they declare at least a few of the teams to regions, and then do varying location games with in those regions, so as to continue the commitment to the “growth” aspect, but begin getting traction for local fan bases.

I remain concerned. The fans that are paying attention have likely formed some level of team allegiance. The chances of getting the team you follow most assigned close to you are slim at best. Also from an attendance perspective. Fans went for a day, or two. Likely attended all games for the period that they went, rooting interest or not. Now switch to 1 game, 2 teams. Will people be as likely to invest they time and money into one single game based near them that likely won’t even contain “their” team?

Maybe they can do it using the same exact format, but someone is the weekend “host” team at their home field, like the Mustang Classic. Who knows. I want it to succeed though.

On this weekend’s games, yea Chrome needs a spark. I was surprised by the Redwoods battling back after going early in the hole big. They were all great close games, with the Chrome one being an exception. But that one adds player drama, which is also needed to draw interest.

Return to “PROFESSIONAL LACROSSE”