Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by another fan »

Rodriguez is a great fogo, and wins a lot to himself quickly with a variety of moves. Psyllos scraps and will have to keep the ball alive-- and be supported by better wing play. Hopefully, Davis will return and help both our ssdm and wing play.
coda

Post by coda »

another fan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:01 pm Rodriguez is a great fogo, and wins a lot to himself quickly with a variety of moves. Psyllos scraps and will have to keep the ball alive-- and be supported by better wing play. Hopefully, Davis will return and help both our ssdm and wing play.
I dont expect Cornell to win at the X. Cornell needs to do it take care of the ball. Win the non-face-off GBs, those extra possessions will go a long way. They need to make Yale play 6 v 6. The offense will have to be smart about pace. There will be times that Cornell offense will need to bleed the shot clock to give the defense a rest.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:26 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:49 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:26 pm Kirst, Long, Goldstein, Firth, Wirtheim & Kelleher comprise one of the most potent attack & 1st line middie combinations the Big Red has has in a long time. You can't pole everybody! Caddigan, Nikolic, Piatelli, Sheehan, Blake, Holmes, Dalton, Lombardi are effective backups. Now, let's hope Davis is back in action soon!
+1000 ... we've got to value possession and be great at shot selection ... while I'm being a bit repetitive, Rodriguez at FOGO is my biggest worry. We need to have the ball to score.
The wings need to get ground balls. Coach Moran famously said the only stat he monitored was ground balls. I had many conversations with him in which I expressed concern about an upcoming opponent's face off man. He always replied that faceoff stats were irrelevant. Just win the ground ball battle and everything falls into place. That means if the Big Red initially loses the faceoff, what happens next is more important. Perhaps the better stat would be the percentage of faceoffs that result in a team arriving at the opponent's attack zone with the ball. Looking forward to great wing play on Saturday and tenacious riding as well as breaking Yale's 10 man ride. Tully is the best goalie for that purpose. He is not afraid to carry the ball upfield.
I started watching the Yale-Harvard game last night. It seemed that Rodriguez often won the draw and headed down the middle of the field to the goal. IIRC, he scored the first goal in about 18 seconds this way. IMHO, one of our wings should run to a position where a line between the faceoff dot and the goal intersects the defensive restraining line, and fight for ground balls from there. Alternatively, station an athletic long-stick near there, prepare the other defenders to slide, and let the wing have at it in the center. In any case, make sure he doesn't set up a quick score within seconds of the faceoff. Oh, what I'd give to see Cascadin and Rodriguez battle it out.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

I think the other faceoff guys will give it a good fight too.
mfp

Post by mfp »

For those of you with deeper knowledge of the game, what did you see that changed in Cornell’s 7-goal run and Princeton’s 10-goal run? Some runs are really just statistics/probabilities but both of those runs were significant. Confidence and energy are almost always big parts of runs (on both sides). What else influenced those runs? What was the key to Cornell’s run from an Xs and Os perspective? What changes did Princeton make (presumably to be emulated by Yale) to go on their massive run? How did Cornell respond to finally even things out?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

mfp wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am For those of you with deeper knowledge of the game, what did you see that changed in Cornell’s 7-goal run and Princeton’s 10-goal run? Some runs are really just statistics/probabilities but both of those runs were significant. Confidence and energy are almost always big parts of runs (on both sides). What else influenced those runs? What was the key to Cornell’s run from an Xs and Os perspective? What changes did Princeton make (presumably to be emulated by Yale) to go on their massive run? How did Cornell respond to finally even things out?
I could be wrong, but if memory serves, Cornell finally got the ball for some productive possessions. Princeton won a string of face-offs and retained possession for a long streak. While there might have been minor Cornell offensive "wobbles" during Princeton's run (possibly in unwise shot selection), the main difference was face-offs and possessions.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

It was all a matter of possession.
If memory serves me correct, at about 7+ minute mark of the 2nd quarter, Cornell never had a single offensive possession. 2 or 3 failed clears and all Princeton face-off wins.

Don't mean to generalize, but Psyllos/Petrakis seem to hold their own during the first and into the second quarters. Not sure if it's a fatigue factor or what. The good news is that in the Princeton game, Psyllos finished really strong.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Forecast for Saturday noon;

MIDWINTER LIKE, SNOW, WIND.

Ahh, nothing like being at Schoellkopf in that Wind tunnel, freezing my granolas off, and pretending that it's not that bad, and then getting home and have my wife ask me if I am insane?

Doesn't get any better than that.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am Doesn't get any better than that.
If it makes you feel better (it should), I'm jealous! I'm on the other side of the country so getting to see the team in person vs. Denver was awesome.

Thanks for representing the Cornell faithful!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mfp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:37 am
joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am Doesn't get any better than that.
If it makes you feel better (it should), I'm jealous! I'm on the other side of the country so getting to see the team in person vs. Denver was awesome.

Thanks for representing the Cornell faithful!
Just a little bit better. You will be nice and warm tomorrow, from wherever you will be viewing the game while I will be bundled up like an Eskimo, sitting on a frozen bleacher, drinking in hot coffee as fast as I can before it freezes.

Anyway, besides all that, Yale/Cornell promises to be another classic like we just had this past Saturday.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

Just received an email from Coach:

We wanted to make you aware that due to the impending weather tomorrow morning, we will be pushing our start time against Yale back to 2pm on Saturday, 3/23/24. We hope to see many of you out there braving the conditions!

He's talking to you joewillie!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

enterprise wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:43 pm Just received an email from Coach:

We wanted to make you aware that due to the impending weather tomorrow morning, we will be pushing our start time against Yale back to 2pm on Saturday, 3/23/24. We hope to see many of you out there braving the conditions!

He's talking to you joewillie!
Tell the coach, thanks as the storm is supposed to be done by 2pm. Gives me more time to tank up on more antifreeze, and possibly warm up my bleacher seat to melt the snow off it.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Yup. It's almost official. Cornell Athletics says the game is scheduled for 2 PM. Now, if someone else will check ESPN+ to verify, we can be certain. Sorry, I'm too lazy. :oops:
another fan

Post by another fan »

Cornell midfield recruit, Will Burfeind, highlights against McDonough and Landon: https://www.hudl.com/profile/15810354/Will-Burfeind

IL article on Haverford's win over #3 McDonough describes him as another Hugh Kelleher coming to Ithaca. He is somewhat of a late bloomer and his
"star" ratings, for whatever they are worth, should increase over his senior season.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Both Cornell and Yale can light it up offensively. Both defenses have given up a lot of goals. Lots. Possessions may be a key today.
-Wing play is always important, but perhaps with the seemingly ever-changing face-off rules, more and more possessions seem to be won outright by FOGOS without wings being able to get involved. This isn't meant to mean there aren't plenty of 50/50 balls, but at least half of the face-off seems to be won independently.
-Where am I going with this observation? Yale's FOGOS, Rodriguez and Ramsey are really good. Today will be a huge challenge for Psyllos/Petrakis.
IMO, if I were Buczek & Stevens, I'd position both (minimally one) of the wings in an extreme defensive position. 'Better to allow Yale to clamp or rake backwards than to give up multiple fast breaks. I'd rather lose the face-off battle and hopefully win the 6 on 6 war, than give up fast break goals.

Buczek and Stevens are sharp guys. I can't believe they're willing to go straight up against Yale's FOGOS. Perhaps they'll start with neutral wing positioning and adjust accordingly.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Saturday’s game at Cornell will now be a 2 p.m. start.
DMac

Post by DMac »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am Forecast for Saturday noon;

Ahh, nothing like being at Schoellkopf in that Wind tunnel, freezing my granolas off, and pretending that it's not that bad, and then getting home and have my wife ask me if I am insane?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
If it's anything like it is in Cuse down on the southern shores of Cayuga Lake this morning, Jw, listen to your wife.
I don't think 2 o'clock is too early for a gin and tonic while sitting in your recliner watching the Big Red on TV. Jus Sayin.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:05 am
joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:23 am Forecast for Saturday noon;

Gobigred
Joewillie78
If it's anything like it is in Cuse down on the southern shores of Cayuga Lake this morning, Jw, listen to your wife.
I don't think 2 o'clock is too early for a gin and tonic while sitting in your recliner watching the Big Red on TV. Jus Sayin.
Thanks Dmac,
It is awful down here. Really, and I know about TV stuff etc., but in all reality, they should just cancel the game until tomorrow. We have a Winter weather advisory until 2pm.

And your right, my recliner looks exceptionally comfortable as it sits about 3 feet from my woodstove. Also, my wife is making homemade chicken soup for when I get home from the game. That will really hit the spot, that and my G AND T.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

WOW, OUR BASKETBALL COACH JUST RESIGNED. TAKING THE WILLIAM AND MARY HEAD COACHING JOB!!!!!!

Hope Connor and Jordan don't see this.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree, postpone this one until tomorrow.
It's really just stupid to play in these kind of conditions.
Nothing good about it for players or fans.
Oh, and you don't have to be frozen to enjoy chicken soup.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”