Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:17 pm
nms wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:55 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 pm Congrats to the Big Red! 15-8 over Harvard. Now root for Princeton later today. A Princeton victory today and a Cornell victory next week over Dartmouth will give Cornell the hosting privilege for the Ivy Tourney!
I would much rather see Penn and Yale win out and win the three way tie-break.

This might put 3 ivy schools in the RPI top 10
You're too trusting of the selection committee. At this point, I want the Big Red, 7-0 at home, to host the tourney. Princeton leads Penn 9-5 in the 3rd.
Absolutely. The way they play at the Kopf, screw that 3 way tie, get home field, and win the ILT and then it won't matter what the CHC does.

Go Princeton.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great win against a talented opponent. Cornell has a really great blend of talent, with a lot departing by next year. I'd love to see the Big Red have a shot at seeing how far they can go this season.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Syracuse helped Cornell's RPI today, defeating Virginia 18-17.
nms

Post by nms »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:04 pm Congrats to the Big Red! 15-8 over Harvard. Now root for Princeton later today. A Princeton victory today and a Cornell victory next week over Dartmouth will give Cornell the hosting privilege for the Ivy Tourney!

You're too trusting of the selection committee. At this point, I want the Big Red, 7-0 at home, to host the tourney. Princeton leads Penn 9-5 in the 3rd. In any event, if Penn wins out, they hold the tiebreaker over Cornell.
Penn wins a two way tie-break with Cornell, But Cornell wins the three way tie-break between Cornell, Penn and Yale
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Princeton won 15-10. Now take care of business in Hanover!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:35 pm Syracuse helped Cornell's RPI today, defeating Virginia 18-17.
Definitely, and I just checked. Now Syracuse is #1SOS (CORNELL#4), which means we have a win against the team with the toughest schedule in the country.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

nms wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:50 pm

You're too trusting of the selection committee. At this point, I want the Big Red, 7-0 at home, to host the tourney. Princeton leads Penn 9-5 in the 3rd. In any event, if Penn wins out, they hold the tiebreaker over Cornell.
Penn wins a two way tie-break with Cornell, But Cornell wins the three way tie-break between Cornell, Penn and Yale
Penn is 4-2 in the league. Cornell is 4-1. With victory over Dartmouth Cornell is 5-1. No tie break needed with Penn. Cornell has the tiebreak over Yale.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:20 pm
nms wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:50 pm

Penn is 4-2 in the league. Cornell is 4-1. With victory over Dartmouth Cornell is 5-1. No tie break needed with Penn. Cornell has the tiebreak over Yale.
Yup, 1 game season now. Do NOT take the Big Green for granted. A couple years ago, Cornell barely eaked out Like a 9-8 win. Play with the same intensity as they showed today.

Getting the ILT at the Kopf would be huge.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Cornell played a complete 60 minute game today with a total team effort. Knust was incredible. That ws the best defensive game of the season by far. Great game by Singer shutting down King. Harvard had some long scoring droughts today and they are a good offensive lax team.

Petrakis had his best game in 2-3 years. And it came at a great time because Psyllos was getting worn down and needed a break.

While Kirst was a monster again, the scoring was very balanced with 9-10 players getting points.

The only negative I can think of is some bad failed clears and giving up a goal early on the man up.

I think this team needs two more wins, unfortunately. I don't think a win over Dartmouth and a loss in the ILT first round gets a bid. I think they deserve a bid now, but the rankings and the RPI have them on the bubble. A loss in the first game of the ILT puts too much reliance on the committee and that has never ever turned out well for Cornell. I'm not sure I even trust the committee if they don't get the Ivy AQ.

I don't see how any team other than ND has a better resume than Cornell right now, but that is not the way this sport works.

Again, kudos to the coaching staff for having this team completely prepared for this game today. It was close to a must win and they delivered. I hope they are just as ready next week so can have some home cooking in the ILT in two weeks.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

A few additional observations/comments from my initial post-game post:
-I don't think I've ever seen a game with more 'in the crease' calls. The good news is that most of them were on Harvard (though Nikolic had a goal wiped out).
-Something to clean up - Cornell lost 2 offensive possessions on 2 failures to back up shots. One of them was on a Cornell man-up (on an unreleasable too). It led to a Harvard man-down goal.
-Goldstein at attack really adds a dimension on how the Cornell runs at attack. He also takes tremendous pressure off of Kirst and Long to score and feed. Caddigan did a good job as the third attackman, but Goldstein adds another dimension.
-If an o-mid is unable to get off the field and gets caught playing defense, my choice is that its Wirtheim. Speed/good size/athletic. Today, he stood his ground on a Harvard in the crease call at GLE.
***LOTS OF TEAM-FIRST CREDIT to Aiden Blake. Other than splitting time as a freshman between o-mid and ss, he's been a career 1st and 2nd line middie. Given that Davis is gone and Bozzi is still out, his presence at ss, on FO wings, and clearing has been very important to the team.

***Looking at the Senior Day photo - there were two surprises for me - Follows and Psyllos. I thought both of them would be back (I believe they had eligibility if they opted for it). At FOGO --- this means that both Psyllos and Petrakis are gone next season, leaving Cascadden and Ricci, a current freshman. Chas. Cascadden - is your son who is a Cornell commit a FOGO or a mid?
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

The FOGO coming from Long Island is supposed to be very good

A healthy #20 and this freshman should be good for us
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Anybody else think we root for Yale and Brown next week? If they (and Cornell) all win, Princeton is out and we get Brown in the Ivy semi.
semsox

Post by semsox »

Ivyman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 pm Anybody else think we root for Yale and Brown next week? If they (and Cornell) all win, Princeton is out and we get Brown in the Ivy semi.
I think this is a be careful what you wish for thought. Others have already written off an ILT semifinals loss as a season ender. I'm not certain that's the case if we lose to a top 20 RPI Princeton team, but do think that would be the case against a 35+ RPI Brown team.
faircornell

!

Post by faircornell »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 pm A few additional observations/comments from my initial post-game post:
-I don't think I've ever seen a game with more 'in the crease' calls. The good news is that most of them were on Harvard (though Nikolic had a goal wiped out).
-Something to clean up - Cornell lost 2 offensive possessions on 2 failures to back up shots. One of them was on a Cornell man-up (on an unreleasable too). It led to a Harvard man-down goal.
-Goldstein at attack really adds a dimension on how the Cornell runs at attack. He also takes tremendous pressure off of Kirst and Long to score and feed. Caddigan did a good job as the third attackman, but Goldstein adds another dimension.
-If an o-mid is unable to get off the field and gets caught playing defense, my choice is that its Wirtheim. Speed/good size/athletic. Today, he stood his ground on a Harvard in the crease call at GLE.
***LOTS OF TEAM-FIRST CREDIT to Aiden Blake. Other than splitting time as a freshman between o-mid and ss, he's been a career 1st and 2nd line middie. Given that Davis is gone and Bozzi is still out, his presence at ss, on FO wings, and clearing has been very important to the team.

***Looking at the Senior Day photo - there were two surprises for me - Follows and Psyllos. I thought both of them would be back (I believe they had eligibility if they opted for it). At FOGO --- this means that both Psyllos and Petrakis are gone next season, leaving Cascadden and Ricci, a current freshman. Chas. Cascadden - is your son who is a Cornell commit a FOGO or a mid?
Great Senior Day point, VRR! I think that this year has some opportunities that might be more challenging next year.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Just back from the trip to Ithaca. Congratulations to the Big Red on their victory, it was well earned today. The Crimson unfortunately had a collective down day, but Cornell was relentless. Good luck the rest of the way.
another fan

Post by another fan »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:41 pm A few additional observations/comments from my initial post-game post:

FOGO—
The next Cascadden commit is a d mid. His brother, a Navy commit, is a fogo. Michael Melkonian, coming next year from SouthSide is excellent. Sam Ricci has not played much this year for us, but had an excellent career at Victor. I am concerned that an acl is harder on a fogo like Cascadden, and recovery time to full strength may take longer.

On the point about Wirtheim doing well when caught on defense, I agree. In fact, Firth and Kelleher are not liabilities either when they have to play defense.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell posted side-by-side videos of Ryan Goldstein and Tim Goldstein. Interesting to see the similarities in style.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 pm Cornell posted side-by-side videos of Ryan Goldstein and Tim Goldstein. Interesting to see the similarities in style.
Where are these posted?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:09 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:52 pm Cornell posted side-by-side videos of Ryan Goldstein and Tim Goldstein. Interesting to see the similarities in style.
Where are these posted?
"Cornell Lacrosse" Instagram. 2 days ago.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ivyman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:20 pm Anybody else think we root for Yale and Brown next week? If they (and Cornell) all win, Princeton is out and we get Brown in the Ivy semi.
All I'm rooting for next week is a win for Cornell in Hanover and getting the ILT in Ithaca.

I have done these crazy scenarios in the past and have said "great, we got so and so instead of them and then so and so kicks our butt"

I'm confident that Cornell, at the Kopf can beat anyone (7-0 this year), so my days of rooting for this team to win and this team to lose are long gone.

By the way, Brown lost to Maryland 14-13. Browns by far the best 3-9 team I have seen in a long time.

Just win in Hanover.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”