Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Finster »

Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am Top to bottom, ACC is better than IL, but at the top there is certainly not much disparity this year.

Cornell’s defense is undeniably a problem but they have either the best or 2nd best starting 6 in the country on offense and can score with anyone.

If Psyllos gets healthy and Knust stops like he did in the 2nd half yesterday, I would not be surprised at all to see them playing MDW.
It's not really a fair comparison, given the ivy has more teams. Sure, UNC is better than Dartmouth

Are you really sure about that? Cause I ain’t.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am Top to bottom, ACC is better than IL, but at the top there is certainly not much disparity this year.

Cornell’s defense is undeniably a problem but they have either the best or 2nd best starting 6 in the country on offense and can score with anyone.

If Psyllos gets healthy and Knust stops like he did in the 2nd half yesterday, I would not be surprised at all to see them playing MDW.
It's not really a fair comparison, given the ivy has more teams. Sure, UNC is better than Dartmouth
Unc is undoubtedly the bottom of the ACC and not a great team and also beat #2 in the IL Penn by 4 goals.
Extremely disingenuous to cherry pick a game where Penn was coming off 48 hours rest and the high of beating Duke. UNC was whacked by what's turned out to be a less than special Princeton squad.

Penn beat Duke. Cornell beat cuse despite cuse absolutely dominating the face off X (we haven't even gotten into the impact of Cascadden's injury for Cornell). ND abused Cornells back up shorties to the tune of a 1 goal win. Tough pills for the ACC heads to swallow.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:49 pm

Unc is undoubtedly the bottom of the ACC and not a great team and also beat #2 in the IL Penn by 4 goals.
Extremely disingenuous to cherry pick a game where Penn was coming off 48 hours rest and the high of beating Duke. UNC was whacked by what's turned out to be a less than special Princeton squad.

Penn beat Duke. Cornell beat cuse despite cuse absolutely dominating the face off X (we haven't even gotten into the impact of Cascadden's injury for Cornell). ND abused Cornells back up shorties to the tune of a 1 goal win. Tough pills for the ACC heads to swallow.

Cornell imo is top-4 in the country right now.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lmao you don’t get to control for face off wins. They’re part of the game and are part of the calculation of how strong a team is. I already said that the top of the Ivies are just as strong as the ACC this year. You’re the one who insinuated UNC was only better than Dartmouth, which is ridiculous.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am Was at game, ND alum. Great game and venue. Respectfully, find the comments here about 'bounces going ND way", and, "if had healthy SSDMs, game isn't close" a bit over the top. Congrats to Cornell for a great offensive showing. However, ND didn't play very well. Both things can be true. Chris K was 1 for 12, next six shooters 15 for 27, and D made many mistakes. While I didn't see it, Cornell losing by 11 to PSU earlier this year presumably wasn't a representative game for them, and I dont' think y/day was for ND as well. Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
Don't really think there is much that separates these two conferences but to your point, I do remember a lot of the same rhetoric from Big red/ Ivy fans when MD won against them in the 22 chip which was a little annoying at the time
molo

Post by molo »

From this ACC fan and Ivy reject, Cornell would vie for the number one spot in the ACC this year. They beat SU in what looked like a blowout and damn near beat the number one team in the country. Their attack is superb, their first midfield is excellent, and they are getting superior play from the goalkeeper. Face-offs and play in the middle of the field are improving. D needs some work as do most defenses in the shot clock era.
Although I have no affiliation with Cornell and still bear the pain of their winning the NC after my team beat them during the regular season 53 years ago, I hope they win the Ivy and advance to the NC game. To an outsider, this is an easy team to like.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:57 pm

Lmao you don’t get to control for face off wins. They’re part of the game and are part of the calculation of how strong a team is. I already said that the top of the Ivies are just as strong as the ACC this year. You’re the one who insinuated UNC was only better than Dartmouth, which is ridiculous.
Well Cornell star Fogo tore his ACL, so there's that. Yeah I mean, it might be true. The only ivy team I'm borderline certain that UNC beats is Dartmouth
Brown? Might be a toss up.
Harvard? Judging by the way Harvard pushed UVA, I'm giving slight edge to Harvard.
Princeton? We saw how that went.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:05 pm

Well Cornell star Fogo tore his ACL, so there's that. Yeah I mean, it might be true. The only ivy team I'm borderline certain that UNC beats is Dartmouth
Harvard? Judging by the way Harvard pushed UVA, I'm giving slight edge to Harvard.
Duke blew the doors off Princeton too btw. Anyone reasonable in here has already agreed the conferences are fairly evenly matched this season. Not sure why you’re acting like Cornell (a very good team) is somehow better, despite already losing yesterday.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:08 pm

Duke blew the doors off Princeton too btw. Anyone reasonable in here has already agreed the conferences are fairly evenly matched this season. Not sure why you’re acting like Cornell (a very good team) is somehow better, despite already losing yesterday.
Then let's leave it at that. Your the one who was still grasping at straws attempting to prop up the ACC over the Ivy in any small way you could.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:22 pm

Then let's leave it at that. Your the one who was still grasping at straws attempting to prop up the ACC over the Ivy in any small way you could.
You’re the one who responded and began this pissing contest, I’m not the one grasping at straws here. I can’t stand 60% of the ACC, I’m not a conference fan boy. In the last 15 years, the natty champ has come out of the ACC 8 times, Ivy once. The results speak for themselves, have a good one and good luck.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Too much discussion on what fans from another generation would argue over - "who is better Mantle or Mays."

I'd prefer to focus on the next two Ivy games. Why?:
The Big 10 will get 3 NCAA bids (1 AQ and 2 at larges) - MD, PSU, and Hopkins
-The ACC will get 4 bids (1 AQ and 3 at larges) - ND, UVA, Duke, and Syracuse
-The Big East will get 2 bids (1 AQ and 1 at large) - Georgetown and Denver
-The Patriot League will get 1 bid (an AQ) - presumably Army, but this is in no way a lock
-I can't see the Ivies getting more than 2 bids (1 AQ and 1 at large)***

***If I am correct, what this means is that if Cornell doesn't win the tournament and earn an AQ, Yale better win, because Penn and Princeton are in bubble territory (at best) for an at-large and we don't want them to take an at large opportunity from Cornell.
***What makes Cornell's NCAA chances even more dicey is if a non-at large/bubble team goes on a run and wins the Patriot League (anyone but Army), the Big East (other than Georgetown or Denver), or ACC (UNC), or Big 10 (Rutgers, Michigan, or OSU).
What does the aforementioned translate to, if Cornell doesn't win the AQ? They need to win the next 3 - Harvard, Dartmouth, and their first ILT game.
One game at a time - Harvard is up next.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:29 pm
Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:22 pm

You’re the one who responded and began this pissing contest, I’m not the one grasping at straws here. I can’t stand 60% of the ACC, I’m not a conference fan boy. In the last 15 years, the natty champ has come out of the ACC 8 times, Ivy once. The results speak for themselves, have a good one and good luck.
"I'm not a conference fan boy" *Proceeds to lay out the ACC's accomplishments the last 15 years*
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 am #1 Stat in my opinion for Cornell this year;

AT SCHOELLKOPF: 6-0
AWAY FROM SCHOELLKOPF: 1-4

If ever Cornell needs to get the ILT at Schoellkopf, this is the year.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Wow, that stat is quite something. To host the ILT, Cornell may well need to win both of its remaining games, against Harvard in Ithaca, and Dartmouth in Hanover. If Cornell can beat Princeton in New Jersey, it can beat Dartmouth in New Hampshire... but I'm still surprised that Princeton is the Big Red's only win away from Schoellkopf. And please don't expect me to spell that stadium's name from memory!
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm Too much discussion on what fans from another generation would argue over - "who is better Mantle or Mays."

-The Patriot League will get 1 bid (an AQ) - presumably Army, but this is in no way a lock

***If I am correct, what this means is that if Cornell doesn't win the tournament and earn an AQ, Yale better win, because Penn and Princeton are in bubble territory (at best) for an at-large and we don't want them to take an at large opportunity from Cornell.
***What makes Cornell's NCAA chances even more dicey is if a non-at large/bubble team goes on a run and wins the Patriot League (anyone but Army), the Big East (other than Georgetown or Denver), or ACC (UNC), or Big 10 (Rutgers, Michigan, or OSU).
What does the aforementioned translate to, if Cornell doesn't win the AQ? They need to win the next 3 - Harvard, Dartmouth, and their first ILT game.
Perfect summary - the conf comparison arguments are best left to the Fellahs slumped over at the end of the bar at 11:35 pm with their men’s summer lax beer league logo’d shirts slurring gems like “no way would I trade Gary Gait for Paul Rabil” and “Teat would eat Petro’s lunch”🤣🤣

Big Sat for Big Red the Koph!
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:09 pm Too much discussion on what fans from another generation would argue over - "who is better Mantle or Mays."

Hard to disagree, other than all four of the ACC's teams (and those are the four) will be at large, and, honestly, as good as I think Army West Point is, I wouldn't presume anything in the Patriot. if you though the Ivy race was confusing, they are sitting on a six-way tie for first place.
nms

Post by nms »

mountainred wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 pm

Hard to disagree, other than all four of the ACC's teams (and those are the four) will be at large, and, honestly, as good as I think Army West Point is, I wouldn't presume anything in the Patriot. if you though the Ivy race was confusing, they are sitting on a six-way tie for first place.
There is still a lot of lax to be played. I think it is too soon to assume anything other than the fact that between the Ivy, Big Ten, ACC and Big East, there are 12 teams (top 12 RPIs) for (at most) 11 spots. A few disappointing results for any team (maybe not ND), and they are in jeopardy.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

To the point immediately above, "Blatant Lacrosse" (I'm not sure who that is) published an early bracketology that assumed Yale won the ILT, and their bracket did not include Cornell. I wonder how likely the Red are to be excluded if they win out in the regular season, but don't win the ILT.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If the loss is in the ILT semis, I don't like Cornell's chances. I think it would be 2019 (or 2012) deja vu all over again.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

If Cornell wins 2 in a row and hosts the tournament, what team is the likely opponent?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 am To the point immediately above, "Blatant Lacrosse" (I'm not sure who that is) published an early bracketology that assumed Yale won the ILT, and their bracket did not include Cornell. I wonder how likely the Red are to be excluded if they win out in the regular season, but don't win the ILT.
VERY LIKELY,
The CHC(and I know 77) hates me using that acronym, but their is precedent as someone alluded to 2012, and of course the most blatant ommission in 2019.

Obviously, Syracuse, even though we beat them would be chosen ahead of Cornell as their metrics (SOS, RPI) is better than us, and if both Yale and Cornell do NOT win the IVY AQ, then Yale (who we also beat) would be chosen over Cornell as they have a higher RPI.

Right now, sadly, unless we get the IVY AQ, we are out.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”