Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:40 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm If Cornell beats Harvard and Dartmouth and Princeton beats Penn, wouldn't Cornell host?
Yes, that's covered by what I said: Cornell hosts unless Penn beats Princeton and Princeton beats Yale.
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:27 pm Also, in the 3rd quarter, Ohio State is ahead of Johns Hopkins 9-5. If Ohio State wins, does that help Cornell's RPI?
Yes, slightly. You want every team you play to win all their other games.
JHU won in OT 11-10, so never mind!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

As a result of the JHU-OSU game, Cornell's RPI dropped slightly from 0.6255 to 0.6234. Cornell is still #10.

JHU's RPI also dropped a teeny bit, from 0.6744 to 0.6741. Don't play teams with losing records!

(In hockey, RPI is adjusted to remove the effect of wins that hurt a team's RPI; I wish lax would do the same.)

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:40 pm In fact, one thing that was only noticeable if you were at the game was that ND continually was late coming back on the field after time outs.
The announcers actually commented about this a couple of times, especially after the last timeout of the game.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

Was at game, ND alum. Great game and venue. Respectfully, find the comments here about 'bounces going ND way", and, "if had healthy SSDMs, game isn't close" a bit over the top. Congrats to Cornell for a great offensive showing. However, ND didn't play very well. Both things can be true. Chris K was 1 for 12, next six shooters 15 for 27, and D made many mistakes. While I didn't see it, Cornell losing by 11 to PSU earlier this year presumably wasn't a representative game for them, and I dont' think y/day was for ND as well. Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

#1 Stat in my opinion for Cornell this year;

AT SCHOELLKOPF: 6-0
AWAY FROM SCHOELLKOPF: 1-4

If ever Cornell needs to get the ILT at Schoellkopf, this is the year.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
I just love the "yeah, the game was close but only because my team didn't play well." Bullpuckey. You want "over the top?" There it is. Penn beats Duke in Durham. Cornell beats Syracuse. Cornell and Notre Dame play 59 minutes and 54 seconds dead even. Top Ivies "at same level" as ACC. Open your eyes.
semsox

Post by semsox »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am Was at game, ND alum. Great game and venue. Respectfully, find the comments here about 'bounces going ND way", and, "if had healthy SSDMs, game isn't close" a bit over the top. Congrats to Cornell for a great offensive showing. However, ND didn't play very well. Both things can be true. Chris K was 1 for 12, next six shooters 15 for 27, and D made many mistakes. While I didn't see it, Cornell losing by 11 to PSU earlier this year presumably wasn't a representative game for them, and I dont' think y/day was for ND as well. Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
Going into the year, there was an understanding that our SSDMs were going to be an issue, so I also disagree with the comments about them definitively swinging the game, etc. However, respectfully, I also find the notion that ND's performance yesterday was somehow akin to Cornell's against PSU earlier in the year to be similarly over the top. Credit ND for making the plays they needed to.
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 am #1 Stat in my opinion for Cornell this year;

AT SCHOELLKOPF: 6-0
AWAY FROM SCHOELLKOPF: 1-4
Wow! I did not realize that. For me personally, I think home/away is overrated in terms of impact but the data doesn't lie.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am Was at game, ND alum. Great game and venue. Respectfully, find the comments here about 'bounces going ND way", and, "if had healthy SSDMs, game isn't close" a bit over the top. Congrats to Cornell for a great offensive showing. However, ND didn't play very well. Both things can be true. Chris K was 1 for 12, next six shooters 15 for 27, and D made many mistakes. While I didn't see it, Cornell losing by 11 to PSU earlier this year presumably wasn't a representative game for them, and I dont' think y/day was for ND as well. Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
I would love for the ACC fans to provide the rest of the lax world with their special guide as to which games matter and which games don't. From my vantage, that guide provides that the games that matter are the ones the ACC wins convincingly and the games that should be disregarded are those they lose or almost lose out of conference.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The difference between Cornell & Notre Dame was 1 goal with 6 seconds left. This week's media poll squeezes 7 teams into that one goal, ranking Notre Dame 1 and Cornell 9. LOL. I prefer the Big Red being underrated by the media. I also guarantee that based upon yesterday's performance, no one wants to play Cornell.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Gobigred wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:54 am
NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:00 am Much more parity this year, great game, Cornell's offense is super impressive, but not sure most folks think Ivy and ACC at same level.
I just love the "yeah, the game was close but only because my team didn't play well." Bullpuckey. You want "over the top?" There it is. Penn beats Duke in Durham. Cornell beats Syracuse. Cornell and Notre Dame play 59 minutes and 54 seconds dead even. Top Ivies "at same level" as ACC. Open your eyes.
Even funnier given that ND has leaned on Ivy transfers to get it done the last few years...
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gobigred wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:54 am

True (your first few sentences).

I’m m so embarrassed when I do it, and regrettably I do. Making excuses when my team wins, or loses. It’s an awful personal habit, and I have no problem when someone criticizes me for doing it. I welcome the abuse; it can only make us better.
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

Time to focus on Harvard and stopping Sam King
Lager

Post by Lager »

Not really sure what "not playing well" even means. ND defense was overmatched, plain and simple. I only really got the "men vs boys" vibe watching ND blow past Cornell's back up SSDMs. I call it like I see it.

ACC and ivy seem somewhat evenly matched. Let's not forget Harvard also challenged UVA.
Lager

Post by Lager »

Not really sure what "not playing well" even means. ND defense was overmatched, plain and simple. I only really got the "men vs boys" vibe watching ND blow past Cornell's back up SSDMs. I call it like I see it.

ACC and ivy seem somewhat evenly matched. Let's not forget Harvard also challenged UVA.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Top to bottom, ACC is better than IL, but at the top there is certainly not much disparity this year.

Cornell’s defense is undeniably a problem but they have either the best or 2nd best starting 6 in the country on offense and can score with anyone.

If Psyllos gets healthy and Knust stops like he did in the 2nd half yesterday, I would not be surprised at all to see them playing MDW.
Lager

Post by Lager »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am Top to bottom, ACC is better than IL, but at the top there is certainly not much disparity this year.

Cornell’s defense is undeniably a problem but they have either the best or 2nd best starting 6 in the country on offense and can score with anyone.

If Psyllos gets healthy and Knust stops like he did in the 2nd half yesterday, I would not be surprised at all to see them playing MDW.
It's not really a fair comparison, given the ivy has more teams. Sure, UNC is better than Dartmouth
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Lager wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am Top to bottom, ACC is better than IL, but at the top there is certainly not much disparity this year.

It's not really a fair comparison, given the ivy has more teams. Sure, UNC is better than Dartmouth
Unc is undoubtedly the bottom of the ACC and not a great team and also beat #2 in the IL Penn by 4 goals.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm

Unc is undoubtedly the bottom of the ACC and not a great team and also beat #2 in the IL Penn by 4 goals.
You forgot Penn beat Duke by two goals. And only two of the seven Ivy-ACC games were played on an Ivy home field.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Gobigred wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:27 pm

You forgot Penn beat Duke by two goals. And only two of the seven Ivy-ACC games were played on an Ivy home field.
I didn’t forget that. Lager insinuating that unc is only better than Dartmouth is just not accurate.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”