Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Chousnake

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Chousnake »

coda wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:59 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:54 am How about this idea for the future: the regular season Ivy champ receives the AQ. The tournament is still held for the sole purpose of enhancing the RPI and SOS of the other teams for possible at large bids. The weight should be on who is the best in a 6 game schedule, not who finishes in the top 4 and gets hot during one weekend.
We are all obviously fans of great lacrosse. These tournaments give us that. Win or go home games are far and away the most entertaining. I oppose any idea that takes those games away from me. We can say it was the tournament that cost Cornell, but 1 more regular season win and they would not be on the bubble currently
The only teams that played win or go home games in the ACC, Big 10 and Big East tournaments were Michigan, Villanova, and Providence. And it showed
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LaxDownUnder wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:10 am
Chousnake wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:45 pm
It hurts to watch teams like Denver and JHU and PSU lay complete eggs in the league tourneys with no risk of losing a bid and have those putrid efforts in somewhat meaningless games cost Cornell a bid.
Couldn't agree more. I understand the NCAA wanting to create some end of season drama but if theres little incentive for a team like JHU to even show up to the B1G tourney, it creates a situation where a league like the B1G can sneak an extra bid to the tourney.

Maybe the committee should leave out UMD in a situation like this, essentially having Michigan take a B1G bid instead of a bid from another conference.
The ncaas don’t require or handle the conference tourneys. It was really a way to game the system for your top teams to get better share of the at large pool. And so I can’t have sympathy on this problem of their own making.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 am
It hurts to watch teams like Denver and JHU and PSU lay complete eggs in the league tourneys with no risk of losing a bid and have those putrid efforts in somewhat meaningless games cost Cornell a bid.
Couldn't agree more. I understand the NCAA wanting to create some end of season drama but if theres little incentive for a team like JHU to even show up to the B1G tourney, it creates a situation where a league like the B1G can sneak an extra bid to the tourney.

Maybe the committee should leave out UMD in a situation like this, essentially having Michigan take a B1G bid instead of a bid from another conference.
I agree too, but...

Cornell controlled their own destiny. Beat a Penn team, at home, and they're in. Very disappointed in the end result in that game; Penn beat Cornell and it wasn't even really all that close. They were in control of that game from the first quarter forward.
I agree 100%. I never got the feeling the entire game, that Cornell could come back and win that game, and not because Cornell was playing poorly, but because Penn was playing so good. They were terrific on D, they were terrific on the ground, they were so patient on offense, they fought for every inch of ground at the Kopf and their goalie was standing on his head. That's the best team game I have seen at the Kopf, against Cornell, since the Syracuse, Randy Staats game about 6 or 7 years ago.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
another fan

Post by another fan »

This mirrors my view. Yes, there are anomalies in the selection system, we had key injuries where we could least afford it at inopportune times, we had a great team that on a given day could beat anybody, we have great coaches, loyal fan base, and great lacrosse tradition, we had some freakish calls and results along the way, etc. But in the end, we knew the system, had control of our destiny, played on our home field, and fell short against a team that beat us for a second time. I love this team and am sorry to see the season end. I can only imagine how badly the team, coaches, and parents feel. With Cornell almost certainly out, my interest in the remaining season diminishes by about 95%, and hopefully anticipation for next year will begin to build, and we can start a 2025 thread. Thank you Big Red.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:45 pm I'm sorry, but these post season tournaments stink. It's ridiculous that a mediocre team can steal a bid with two good games on a neutral field with no fans that erases an entire season for other teams. It was a very exciting season for Cornell with some of the most memorable games I can remember. Unfortunately, the one goal loss to Denver in a game determined by the referees cost Cornell a bid. I know I keep harping on this, but I felt that travesty of a game would cost Cornell the minute it happened. Then the one goal loss to Notre Dame was tough to take as well. And lastly, they just didn't match up well with Penn and having to play them in the first round was unfortunate. I think Cornell beats Yale or Princeton.

Third, Cornell just got no help from other teams. It seemed that every late season game that could have helped Cornell went the other way, The margin for error is just so small this season.

I can't wait for 2025.
I understand and appreciate your passion for Cornell lacrosse. I hope your only sentiment that resonates with Coach Buczek is your last one — can’t wait for next year. If he endorses your other complaints, then he is not the coach we have come to respect. You can only control your own team and your own performance in lacrosse and life. Despite the many wonderful attributes of this team/program, the Big Red failed to do that when it mattered most. I am 99.9% confident that Coach Buczek’s only regret or gripe right now is that Cornell failed to beat Penn at home in a crucial playoff game. From our barstools and couches we are free to espouse unlikely conspiracy theories about other teams not caring enough to fight for a home playoff game, but for the men who matter, they are now focused on improving the current athletes and recruiting great ones for the future.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:46 pm One wonders if PSU should have taken their foot off the gas at some point vs UMD and saved some energy for their next game.
One wonders what the game against Michigan might have looked like if Penn State had put any effort into it whatsoever.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:45 pm I'm sorry, but these post season tournaments stink. It's ridiculous that a mediocre team can steal a bid with two good games on a neutral field with no fans that erases an entire season for other teams. It was a very exciting season for Cornell with some of the most memorable games I can remember. Unfortunately, the one goal loss to Denver in a game determined by the referees cost Cornell a bid. I know I keep harping on this, but I felt that travesty of a game would cost Cornell the minute it happened. Then the one goal loss to Notre Dame was tough to take as well. And lastly, they just didn't match up well with Penn and having to play them in the first round was unfortunate. I think Cornell beats Yale or Princeton.

I hope this team comes back next year with a big chip on its shoulder. Virtually everybody is back (except Wirtheim). I also hope that Cornell does everything in its power to hold onto Buczek. He's a special coach and some ACC or B10 school is going to want him at some point.

This Cornell program is a special program and a pleasure to root for. This was just a season when a bunch of things didn't go their way. First, some key injuries. Everybody made a big deal about Yale, but Cornell lost 4 key starters and it cost this team a top 2-5 ranking. The most telling injury was to an emerging star FOGO in Cascadden. I am sure that , had he stayed healthy, they beat Denver, Penn and Notre Dame and are a top 5 team. Then losing Davis and Bozzi put tremendous pressure on the defense. It was clear that teams were targeting the SSDMs in the middle of the season. It took a while, but other players stepped up and the defense improved as the season wore on. Then losing Long just came at the wrong time. If Cascadden, Davis, and Long stay healthy, this is a Memorial Day weekend team.

Second, the Denver loss was ridiculous. The last 18 minutes of that game were a complete joke and an embarrassment to the sport. A blatant cross check to Kirst led to a slew of penalties against Cornell and the loss of a 4 goal lead. The Notre Dame game was a heart breaker. The turnover with 40 seconds left in a tie game and then an unfortunate bounce with 6 seconds left led to a one goal loss in a great game.

Third, Cornell just got no help from other teams. It seemed that every late season game that could have helped Cornell went the other way, The margin for error is just so small this season.

I can't wait for 2025.
This is a bit unfair to a lot of teams.
The “mediocre team” you reference has 3 top ten wins now, Inc a top 5. Plus 3 SOS. Cornell has 1 top5 in Cuse.
Cornell could also not lose by 11 to a team that lost to the mediocre team by 12.
Yes, a bunch of teams needed the conf wins more but that is always the case in every sport. To assert teams didn’t try because they we already in makes no sense. You think PSU was ok with Michigan crushing them last night on TV? After beating them as the one seed last year too? Kids try, weird games like that happen.
That said, I do feel bad for a bunch of teams today as we all know they are better than many who will get AQs.
The only solution is rebalancing of bids AL vs AQ and /or more plan in games.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Young Warrior wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:09 am

I hope this team comes back next year with a big chip on its shoulder. Virtually everybody is back (except Wirtheim). I also hope that Cornell does everything in its power to hold onto Buczek. He's a special coach and some ACC or B10 school is going to want him at some point.

This Cornell program is a special program and a pleasure to root for. This was just a season when a bunch of things didn't go their way. First, some key injuries. Everybody made a big deal about Yale, but Cornell lost 4 key starters and it cost this team a top 2-5 ranking. The most telling injury was to an emerging star FOGO in Cascadden. I am sure that , had he stayed healthy, they beat Denver, Penn and Notre Dame and are a top 5 team. Then losing Davis and Bozzi put tremendous pressure on the defense. It was clear that teams were targeting the SSDMs in the middle of the season. It took a while, but other players stepped up and the defense improved as the season wore on. Then losing Long just came at the wrong time. If Cascadden, Davis, and Long stay healthy, this is a Memorial Day weekend team.

Second, the Denver loss was ridiculous. The last 18 minutes of that game were a complete joke and an embarrassment to the sport. A blatant cross check to Kirst led to a slew of penalties against Cornell and the loss of a 4 goal lead. The Notre Dame game was a heart breaker. The turnover with 40 seconds left in a tie game and then an unfortunate bounce with 6 seconds left led to a one goal loss in a great game.

I can't wait for 2025.
This is a bit unfair to a lot of teams.
The “mediocre team” you reference has 3 top ten wins now, Inc a top 5. Plus 3 SOS. Cornell has 1 top5 in Cuse.
Cornell could also not lose by 11 to a team that lost to the mediocre team by 12.
Yes, a bunch of teams needed the conf wins more but that is always the case in every sport. To assert teams didn’t try because they we already in makes no sense. You think PSU was ok with Michigan crushing them last night on TV? After beating them as the one seed last year too? Kids try, weird games like that happen.
That said, I do feel bad for a bunch of teams today as we all know they are better than many who will get AQs.
The only solution is rebalancing of bids AL vs AQ and /or more plan in games.
I get it. Things are razor thin this season. But Michigan's out of conference slate includes lopsided losses to UVA, ND and Harvard. They also lost to Rutgers. They only have wins vs the B10 and their best wins are in the tournament. My comment about post season tournaments was somewhat generic. With only 8 at large bids and 9 AQs - some from weak conferences, the top 3-4 bubble teams out are miles better than most of the AQs. When a low seeded team gets hot over a 48 hour stretch and steals a bid they would not sniff at the end of a 12-13 game season, it runs a team deserving of an AL bid out of the tourney.

I'm not claiming that the committee should give Cornell a bid. Cornell needed to beat Penn at home to get in and didn't. By losing, they put their fate in other people's hands and that is always dicey.

I am making the same argument that legions of ACC fans and the entire lax media illuminati made in 2022 about Notre Dame. Having watched this season, there are a handful of teams that can win the title. I think Cornell is in that group and they proved that a few weeks ago when they almost (and should have) beat Notre Dame. The ND outcry in 2022 was that ND almost beat unbeaten Maryland. And that from a talent and eye test stand point they belonged. But the metrics said they didn't belong. The result was an outcry like I've never heard before. Teams like 2022 ND and 2024 Cornell get left behind every year. And I think your suggestion for rebalancing AL vs AQ bids or adding a play in game is great ( I made the same suggestion somewhere else on this board yesterday).

My gripe is that I doubt anyone will go to bat for the conference that ended up with the short straw this season - the Ivy League. The multi-layered system that is the selection process failed the Ivies this season. Will anyone point that out on tonight's selection show? Will anyone say that some of the teams out are just better than many of the teams that are in? Will anyone criticize UVA or Maryland getting a bid despite a dismal late season showing just because they beat a good team back in February? Will anyone criticize Denver's bid which is based on two highly questionable wins vs JHU and Cornell.

The outcry over ND's snub in 2022 still bothers me. It went on for 13 months. When schools that are not part of the ACC/B10 lax elite complain about not getting a bid, they are told to shut up, look at the numbers, schedule better teams, and win more games. When the system excluded ND two years ago, all I heard was eye test, ACC, talent, and but but but they are so good. I'm willing to take my medicine and I understand Cornell is out because they lost 5 games (every single one to a tournament team if Penn wins today), but the narrative around these bids gets tiresome when your team is almost always on the outside looking in when things are close.
mfp

Post by mfp »

Can Opener wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 am I understand and appreciate your passion for Cornell lacrosse. I hope your only sentiment that resonates with Coach Buczek is your last one — can’t wait for next year. If he endorses your other complaints, then he is not the coach we have come to respect. You can only control your own team and your own performance in lacrosse and life. Despite the many wonderful attributes of this team/program, the Big Red failed to do that when it mattered most. I am 99.9% confident that Coach Buczek’s only regret or gripe right now is that Cornell failed to beat Penn at home in a crucial playoff game. From our barstools and couches we are free to espouse unlikely conspiracy theories about other teams not caring enough to fight for a home playoff game, but for the men who matter, they are now focused on improving the current athletes and recruiting great ones for the future.
+1

- Like the system or don't like the system, this is the system in which we compete. Until the system changes (if the system changes), figure out how to be successful in the bounds of this system. As an example, I give credit to Michigan for finding a way to peak for the B1G tournament and earn their way into the tournament. Love or hate it, that's the system and Michigan found a way to be successful in that system the last two years.
- Good calls/bad calls - everyone gets some of both. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Just like with tournament selection, control what you can control so that you win regardless.
- Good luck/bad luck - Sometimes luck is completely out of your control (look at Cascadden's injury as a likely example). Still, put yourself in position for good things to happen. Injuries are an interesting example. Sometimes a slew of injuries is just bad luck. But sometimes that is a sign of overtraining or underemphasizing important elements of training (there are many: flexibility, nutrition, recovery, sleep, etc.).

All in all, the system is imperfect, but I believe every system is. Yes, of course, there should be an effort to improve the system. But, in the end, you've got to compete within the system that exists. This is true for sports, business, life.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

mfp wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm
Can Opener wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 am I understand and appreciate your passion for Cornell lacrosse. I hope your only sentiment that resonates with Coach Buczek is your last one — can’t wait for next year. If he endorses your other complaints, then he is not the coach we have come to respect. You can only control your own team and your own performance in lacrosse and life. Despite the many wonderful attributes of this team/program, the Big Red failed to do that when it mattered most. I am 99.9% confident that Coach Buczek’s only regret or gripe right now is that Cornell failed to beat Penn at home in a crucial playoff game. From our barstools and couches we are free to espouse unlikely conspiracy theories about other teams not caring enough to fight for a home playoff game, but for the men who matter, they are now focused on improving the current athletes and recruiting great ones for the future.
+1

- Like the system or don't like the system, this is the system in which we compete. Until the system changes (if the system changes), figure out how to be successful in the bounds of this system. As an example, I give credit to Michigan for finding a way to peak for the B1G tournament and earn their way into the tournament. Love or hate it, that's the system and Michigan found a way to be successful in that system the last two years.
- Good calls/bad calls - everyone gets some of both. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Just like with tournament selection, control what you can control so that you win regardless.
- Good luck/bad luck - Sometimes luck is completely out of your control (look at Cascadden's injury as a likely example). Still, put yourself in position for good things to happen. Injuries are an interesting example. Sometimes a slew of injuries is just bad luck. But sometimes that is a sign of overtraining or underemphasizing important elements of training (there are many: flexibility, nutrition, recovery, sleep, etc.).

All in all, the system is imperfect, but I believe every system is. Yes, of course, there should be an effort to improve the system. But, in the end, you've got to compete within the system that exists. This is true for sports, business, life.
Reading this and Can Opener's post, I realize that I am whining and protesting too much. The game vs Penn was essentially a play in game and Cornell lost at home. I also realize that I do not want to behave the way the ND truthers did in 2022. Cornell did not earn a bid. The ups and downs and breaks of a 12-15 game season played by 18-22 year olds are what they are and they go both ways. As much as Cornell could have beat ND and Denver, they easily could have lost to Syracuse and Princeton. My apologies for my rants above. They come mostly from disappointment and from my overly enthusiastic support for the Cornell program and all it stands for. It makes me see things through carnelian and white glasses at times.

Here's my wish for a great NCAA tourney. And my congratulations to Coach Buczek and Coach Stevens for a very enjoyable and exciting ride in 2024. In the end, all we can expect and hope for from sports is entertainment, and we certainly got that this season from this team. It was a very fun team to watch and support. And congratulations to the fine young men on this team for a great season and for demonstrating over and over that they never ever gave up or gave in.

I'm already looking forward to 2025.
Lager

Post by Lager »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:15 am
ICGrad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:05 am

I agree too, but...

Cornell controlled their own destiny. Beat a Penn team, at home, and they're in. Very disappointed in the end result in that game; Penn beat Cornell and it wasn't even really all that close. They were in control of that game from the first quarter forward.
I agree 100%. I never got the feeling the entire game, that Cornell could come back and win that game, and not because Cornell was playing poorly, but because Penn was playing so good. They were terrific on D, they were terrific on the ground, they were so patient on offense, they fought for every inch of ground at the Kopf and their goalie was standing on his head. That's the best team game I have seen at the Kopf, against Cornell, since the Syracuse, Randy Staats game about 6 or 7 years ago.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I would largely agree with this. When Cornell got it to 10-8, they were starting to look like the better team and I thought Penn may have been out of answers. Outside of that, Penn was simply better. I actually think Penn was flat out better both games against Cornell.

It is weird to say given all the recent success of Cornell lacrosse and the great players they have/had, but occasionally Cornell does seem to be at a physical disadvantage against these teams that do in fact out recruit Cornell on paper. Sometimes, the Penn's, Yales, top ACC/big 10 teams of the world do look a bit quicker, faster and and more muscularly built than Cornell. Other times, that doesn't seem to show up at all. For example, Cornell looked every bit as quick and strong as Notre dame and in my opinion outplayed them.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

From an outside POV, I just don't think Cornell could overcome the personnel losses to graduation and injury on the defensive side. The defense did get better late in the season, but 47th in adjusted defensive efficiency is not a tournament caliber defense. The offense was obviously tremendous, but there were a lot of good offenses in the Ivy and in the end, you can't outscore a bad defense. They played a lot of coinflip games; some bad luck in losses to Denver and ND, while some fortuitous luck against Princeton and Cuse. In the end, they probably would have preferred the good luck to come against ND and Denver, would help the resume more, but that's how it breaks. They were >90% to make the tournament last weekend but it all broke against them. It happens when you're hanging towards the back end of the Top 8, bubble in territory.

Obviously disappointing to miss the tournament, but long term I don't think it's something to worry about too much. Next year should be wide open, and I don't think they lack the athletes to hang with the best teams. They had them in 2022 for sure. This year not so much, but get healthier and more experienced on defense, should bounce back.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Some interesting discussion on previous posts. 'But keep in mind - when comparing teams/analyzing games, keep matchups in mind.

I watched most of today's Princeton-Penn game and it reinforced something I referenced after the first Cornell-Penn game in March. Penn has some excellent cover defenders and their overall defensive thrust is to pack things in. This is especially effective given their outstanding goalie.

Princeton's offense, unlike Cornell's, does not initiate from up top, far more horizontal and below GLE stuff. Most important, Princeton's perimeter passing game is really good - terrific ball movement. Princeton also has multiple excellent outside shooters.*** Looks to me that their offensive scheme is tailored to beat Penn's defense, while Cornell's is not. This is certainly evidenced by the number of goals Cornell scored against Penn (far below the season average) in two games, especially considering that Cornell got 6 goals very early in the first Penn game.

***An Achilles Heel of sorts in Cornell's offensive "arsenal" that is overlooked on this thread (probably because the team scored so many goals) is that we don't have "starters" who are threats and whose game it is shooting 12-15+ yards out, especially on the run. There are really only two, Kelleher and Nikolic (Kirst has a rocket, but his overall game features far more wing dodge and re-dodoges and rocker stuff). Off the top of my head, I'm talking about guys like Seibold, Glynn, Hogan, Paoletta, Buczek,and more recently Dowiak and Fletcher. Those guys could really bring it - different stuff than most of our front line offensive guys. On Friday, like the game in March, for the most part Cornell did not win it's dodging matchups; that and a great opposing goalie effort, and a lot of pipes were not a great recipe to beat Penn.

On a not-unrelated topic, I found it interesting how Quint spoke so highly of next year's Ivy teams. He predicted that it would be the best conference in the country and it would be pay-back time for this season if the league only gets one bid, an AQ.
LGR
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Sun May 05, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

No doubt that the biggest loss for Cornell from this year to last year was easily GAVIN ADLER. Their defense improved from the beginning of the year but that guy made such a difference that he would turn those 1 goal losses into 1 goal victories, with that extra caused turnover or ground ball or taking away the other teams top weapon.

Obviously, he was irreplaceable and we were lucky to watch that guy play his position.

Their defense with the added experience this year should be much improved next year and with almost all the offense coming back, Cornell should again be a top 10 team.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Lager

Post by Lager »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:46 pm From an outside POV, I just don't think Cornell could overcome the personnel losses to graduation and injury on the defensive side. The defense did get better late in the season, but 47th in adjusted defensive efficiency is not a tournament caliber defense. The offense was obviously tremendous, but there were a lot of good offenses in the Ivy and in the end, you can't outscore a bad defense. They played a lot of coinflip games; some bad luck in losses to Denver and ND, while some fortuitous luck against Princeton and Cuse. In the end, they probably would have preferred the good luck to come against ND and Denver, would help the resume more, but that's how it breaks. They were >90% to make the tournament last weekend but it all broke against them. It happens when you're hanging towards the back end of the Top 8, bubble in territory.

Obviously disappointing to miss the tournament, but long term I don't think it's something to worry about too much. Next year should be wide open, and I don't think they lack the athletes to hang with the best teams. They had them in 2022 for sure. This year not so much, but get healthier and more experienced on defense, should bounce back.
One could argue 2022 was the weakest team in the Buczek era, but they were gamers and peaked at the right time and also benefitted from a relatively easy path to the title game. I just remember thinking after the Brown and Penn losses that year that Cornell got dominated in those games. I don't think I've felt that level of helplessness since then in an ivy match up. '23 and '24 were the solo ivy champs and '24 also took #1 and probable natty champs to the brink.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Always enjoy watching the Big Red—except when they play the purple and orange. Disagree with VRR, though. Cornell definitely has the talent to attack from behind like Princeton—probably even more talent with the emergence of Goldstein. Kirst can dodge from anywhere. Not having Long available was a dagger. Maybe the staff felt best to downhill dodge vs the Quakers?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Now that Princeton beat Penn handily, I feel kind of like Emily Litella (Gilda Radner) on Saturday Night Live in the 70s - Ohhh. Never mind. Even if PSU beat Michigan, Penn would have likely earned and received the second Ivy League bid over Cornell.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FMUBart wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:39 pm Always enjoy watching the Big Red—except when they play the purple and orange. Disagree with VRR, though. Cornell definitely has the talent to attack from behind like Princeton—probably even more talent with the emergence of Goldstein. Kirst can dodge from anywhere. Not having Long available was a dagger. Maybe the staff felt best to downhill dodge vs the Quakers?
And the Quakers though the best defense against the dodges WWE body slams and NFL helmet targeting :lol:
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

FMUBart - a few things
-I did not say that Cornell didn't have the talent to dodge - from anywhere...let alone behind the net (though I do believe that Goldstein seemed to defer to others a bit more recently. Ironic, because he always looked dangerous on Friday, covered by a pole or not). What I wrote was that an offense, typically initiated by dodges (north-south) are going to be far less effective against a packed in Penn defense. Again, you only have to look at the scoring over 8 quarters to realize that. Princeton's approach and execution is/was quite different.
-While I'm an ardent Cornell lax guy, I also commented that IMO, the boys' ball movement on Friday was not nearly as effective as Princeton. 'And that the team's primary offensive threats are not coming from guys getting separation from 10-15 yards. I referenced a number of former players who were extremely dangerous shooters off of alley dodges or step-ins from way out (e.g., Dowiak, Fletcher, Buczek, Hogan, and Paoletta to name a few). This is not a team strength for Cornell.
-Yes, Kirst can dodge from anywhere, but his bread and butter is more horizontal stuff, non-straight line. And Penn physically "swarmed" to him whenever he dodged or re-dodged.

Besides better ball movement (given Penn's D) perhaps more big-little stuff trying to get a shortie on...for example Kelleher. In the March game, he had success inverting against a ss afew times, but this wasn't used until very late in the game. Same thing on Friday; I think I Cornell had a good opportunity on a Kelleher invert when he had a shorie.
mfp

Post by mfp »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:46 pm From an outside POV, I just don't think Cornell could overcome the personnel losses to graduation and injury on the defensive side. The defense did get better late in the season, but 47th in adjusted defensive efficiency is not a tournament caliber defense. The offense was obviously tremendous, but there were a lot of good offenses in the Ivy and in the end, you can't outscore a bad defense. They played a lot of coinflip games; some bad luck in losses to Denver and ND, while some fortuitous luck against Princeton and Cuse. In the end, they probably would have preferred the good luck to come against ND and Denver, would help the resume more, but that's how it breaks. They were >90% to make the tournament last weekend but it all broke against them. It happens when you're hanging towards the back end of the Top 8, bubble in territory.

This was really good. Thank you, jrn19, for sharing your observations.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”