Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Brown 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

Congrats to the 4 ILT teams. Let's see how 5,6, & 7 perform later today.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Third one-goal loss in a row to Harvard.
Good effort by both teams in a meaningless game.

All-Ivy is decided by numbers just in league games, correct? Wonder who. Should be some HMs at least. Who does the voting?

What's next for the program? I've heard the 2024 class is good; plenty of 4*s.

Question for former players: once you committed, how much attention did you pay to that school's performance? If they looked bad, was it "ohh yes, I could see the field a lot and be part of the turn-around :D ?" Or was it "yeesh is my potential going to be hurt by this mess :o !"
Or was it more "I enjoyed my visits & liked the guys. Not an issue to me"?
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 am Third one-goal loss in a row to Harvard.
Good effort by both teams in a meaningless game.

All-Ivy is decided by numbers just in league games, correct? Wonder who. Should be some HMs at least. Who does the voting?

What's next for the program? I've heard the 2024 class is good; plenty of 4*s.

Question for former players: once you committed, how much attention did you pay to that school's performance? If they looked bad, was it "ohh yes, I could see the field a lot and be part of the turn-around :D ?" Or was it "yeesh is my potential going to be hurt by this mess :o !"
Or was it more "I enjoyed my visits & liked the guys. Not an issue to me"?

All-Ivy is not decided by league games only, but it is a major factor. More importantly is how coaches rank their own players for all-Ivy. Unspoken rules say if you vote your player 1 or 2 within your team, they should receive a vote corresponding to their rank, even if you disagree
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

"Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down...". ;)

3 attack in incoming class as currently listed on Inside Lacrosse. (1) 4*, (2) 3*. Biggest position of need judging by this year's eyetest.
How much help next year from this year's attack sideliners? They say Fr-to-Soph is generally the biggest improvement (sometimes Jr-to-Sr) so maybe the current group has some guys who will get on the field next year. Attack was so anemic this year I assume that could be a reach: they would have been on the field this year, right?

BTW, in the Ivies, is any recruit not at least a 3*?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:06 am "Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
Is there anybody in there?
Just nod if you can hear me
Is there anyone home?
Come on now
I hear you're feeling down...". ;)

3 attack in incoming class as currently listed on Inside Lacrosse. (1) 4*, (2) 3*. Biggest position of need judging by this year's eyetest.
How much help next year from this year's attack sideliners? They say Fr-to-Soph is generally the biggest improvement (sometimes Jr-to-Sr) so maybe the current group has some guys who will get on the field next year. Attack was so anemic this year I assume that could be a reach: they would have been on the field this year, right?

BTW, in the Ivies, is any recruit not at least a 3*?
I coached a no-star kid... he committed to an Ivy in the fall of his senior year, IL made him a 3-star later that month.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wow! Daly just resigned.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It's not true that sport is the last meritocracy, but it certainly is the most publicly obvious one.

2017 made ILT finals with Molloy, Kemp, Tulett, Graham, Miller leading and some other holdovers from the FF team. Lost by 1 at Yale. Molloy hit pipe twice in closing mins, freshman lefty missed open net in that timeframe too. If they could have won in OT to get to the ncaa's it could have helped future recruiting. 9-10
2018 ILT first round loss to Cornell at Columbia in the "shut off Jeff Teat" game. 4-7
2019 ILT first round loss to Penn at Columbia in a one-goal (of course) game. 12-13
2022 ILT first round loss to Penn 9-14 at home, still got an ncaa seed, lost to Virginia 10-17 at home.
'23, '24 nope.

ETA: The 2017 ILT win over Princeton is Brown's only win in the history of the tourney.

Total speculation but if the admin tried to "Breschi" him- "we like how you represent the program but the ACs most go", then props to him for doing the right thing. Again: total speculation.

Well let's see how this affects the returning players and recruits.

I can guarantee a deep and quality pool of applicants: search committee letter heading:
Come to Brown! Do well here and you can win multiple Natties at Virginia!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The latest example of how playing and coaching in a competitive DI Conference is a totally different "animal". Daly was a solid player for Tufts and rocked it as a coach there. But, upon his arrival at Brown, he had no experience in DI as either a coach or a player.
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

If by player you mean baseball player, then yes he was. Incredible job for him to take Tufts from basement dweller NESCAC program to playing consistently on Memorial Day Sunday from 2010-2016 without even playing the game. Leader of men. Hoping he lands on his feet.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm The latest example of how playing and coaching in a competitive DI Conference is a totally different "animal". Daly was a solid player for Tufts and rocked it as a coach there. But, upon his arrival at Brown, he had no experience in DI as either a coach or a player.
Silly comment. If by solid player at Tufts, you mean baseball…Daly never played lacrosse. Anyway, plenty of D3 players/coaches have been successful as coaches in D1, Kirwan now an example (Pressler, Tierney and on and on…).
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

SouthieLax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm The latest example of how playing and coaching in a competitive DI Conference is a totally different "animal". Daly was a solid player for Tufts and rocked it as a coach there. But, upon his arrival at Brown, he had no experience in DI as either a coach or a player.
Silly comment. If by solid player at Tufts, you mean baseball…Daly never played lacrosse. Anyway, plenty of D3 players/coaches have been successful as coaches in D1, Kirwan now an example (Pressler, Tierney and on and on…).
I was not aware that he never played lacrosse. Yes, some D3 coaches have been successful in DI. However, plenty of them haven't either.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 pm
I was not aware that he never played lacrosse. Yes, some D3 coaches/players have been successful in DI. However, plenty of them haven't either.
PS-Not all, but LOTS of those D3 coaches who did well in DI went in having previous experience as very successful ASSISTANT COACHES in high levels of DI. Or at least had experience playing in DI. When I said "either a coach or a player" at the top, I mean as an assistant when it comes to coaches, too.
PPS-Even if Dartmouth looked improved, there is no way of knowing whether or not Kirwan will be super successful there.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 pm
I was not aware that he never played lacrosse. Yes, some D3 coaches/players have been successful in DI. However, plenty of them haven't either.
PS-Not all, but LOTS of those D3 coaches who did well in DI went in having previous experience as very successful ASSISTANT COACHES in high levels of DI. Or at least had experience playing in DI. When I said "either a coach or a player" at the top, I mean as assistants when it comes to coaches, too.
PPS-Even if Dartmouth looked improved, there is no way of knowing whether or not Kirwan will be super successful there.
ncaalax2010

Post by ncaalax2010 »

Ridiculous comments about D3 and not being able to coach at that level. So many have before, and there are so many examples. It comes down to having the right guys in the locker room and building chemistry and belief from the team and administration. Lastly, and most importantly, at the Ivy level, get your alumni to believe in you and support you! If you miss one of those, then it is hard to win.

Let's not forget Andy Shay was a D2 guy and was on the verge of being out at Yale after a rough first six years. It was bad; look it up. Barely had two winning seasons and lasted most of those other years. I give Yale credit; they stayed with him, which turned out pretty well for Yale and Coach Shay.

I believe Brown jumped the gun in this case. No surprising!
ncaalax2010

Post by ncaalax2010 »

I have seen a lot more great D1 players who sucked as coaches at the college level.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

ncaalax2010 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:13 pm I have seen a lot more great D1 players who sucked as coaches at the college level.
That is true. In fact, more often than not, great players in any sport don't do well as head coaches.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

So do we think the Brown AD has called John Thompson yet?
molo

Post by molo »

Extremely desirable job should attract a strong applicant pool.
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

ncaalax2010 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:11 pm Ridiculous comments about D3 and not being able to coach at that level. So many have before, and there are so many examples. It comes down to having the right guys in the locker room and building chemistry and belief from the team and administration. Lastly, and most importantly, at the Ivy level, get your alumni to believe in you and support you! If you miss one of those, then it is hard to win.

Let's not forget Andy Shay was a D2 guy and was on the verge of being out at Yale after a rough first six years. It was bad; look it up. Barely had two winning seasons and lasted most of those other years. I give Yale credit; they stayed with him, which turned out pretty well for Yale and Coach Shay.

I believe Brown jumped the gun in this case. No surprising!
It's been 8 years and a losing record overall. Just out of curiosity when in your mind would the gun go off?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”