Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Brown 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

Got more 2nd half. Final for starting attack 6/2, but more importantly 2/2/2 even goal distribution. Movement in the right direction.
Next stop Allston. 3:30 gametime, we'll know if the game means anything by then.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Great win way to keep fighting
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

scandone ramping up for you last month. Got two more years of him.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 pm Scandone ramping up for you last month.

Got two more years of him.
Don't remind me :lol:

And, Sean Donnelly is starting to ramp up for Penn State.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:18 pm Scandone ramping up for you last month.

Got two more years of him.
Don't remind me :lol:

And, Sean Donnelly is starting to ramp up for Penn State.
That’s a good reminder we need you to send a mark willimson type kid our way again here. Been a while.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

What should be the plan for Bryant? Hard try for a win to keep up the positive vibes? Get the starters enough reps to get ready for Harvard and then see what the rest of the squad can do? Or wait to see how the game plays out?
I'm on team get-some-reps, except maybe starting attack should stay on the field because they're just starting to look like a unit that might make a difference.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

I think you play as you normally would it’s not time to tinker or rest it’s time to keep the momentum going. Obviously, if Brown gets up big, then you can make substitutions.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

IvyBrown wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:45 am I think you play as you normally would it’s not time to tinker or rest it’s time to keep the momentum going. Obviously, if Brown gets up big, then you can make substitutions.
We finally have a 2 game win streak. Let the boys keep playing and keep gelling. Bryant is going to be a tough game. They have a few head to head advantages over Bruno.

Let’s take our momentum and win these next two games. Take care of our own business and root like hell for Yale to beat Princeton.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

We are about to see a record set on the number of shots per game (current pace = 11.66), the number of missed shots per game (current pace = 9.4) and the lowest shooting % for someone with >100 shots (current pace = .193). This record-setting season has also seen the second most penalties on the team with 7 flags for 7 minutes. There are currently 4 assists to go along with the 27 goals.

For context, Dylan Molloy had 62 goals on 160 shots in '16 (.388) and 62 goals on 183 shots in '15 (.339). He was the previous record holder for number of shots per game and the number of missed shots per game. Those numbers were tempered by 54 assists in '16 and a Tewaaraton award.

Without being on the field at practices and games, it is easy for the mind to wander to the thought of: What if the new record setter had been held in check by the coaching staff? Or what would the WAR look like? I am always reluctant to criticize a college athlete, but (a) this is a really curious situation and (b) I don't place the blame fully on the athlete here. The staff must have liked something about this shooting strategy to let him keep rolling.

Despite that, it would be a cool ending to the season if they knock off Harvard Saturday. That should get them into the ILT dance. Once there, who the heck knows? If TPG gets hot in cage and the offense plays smart...

As for Bryant on Wednesday, I would look past it and spend the entire week prepping for Harvard. Play the starters for the first half and then save their legs for Saturday. The Bryant game is meaningless except for the resume of the coaching staff. Sometimes you have to do strange things for the greater good. The record for this year is going to look like crud. The only salvation would be an improbably run in the ILT. Optimize for that outcome!
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:08 pm We are about to see a record set on the number of shots per game (current pace = 11.66), the number of missed shots per game (current pace = 9.4) and the lowest shooting % for someone with >100 shots (current pace = .193). This record-setting season has also seen the second most penalties on the team with 7 flags for 7 minutes. There are currently 4 assists to go along with the 27 goals.

For context, Dylan Molloy had 62 goals on 160 shots in '16 (.388) and 62 goals on 183 shots in '15 (.339). He was the previous record holder for number of shots per game and the number of missed shots per game. Those numbers were tempered by 54 assists in '16 and a Tewaaraton award.

Without being on the field at practices and games, it is easy for the mind to wander to the thought of: What if the new record setter had been held in check by the coaching staff? Or what would the WAR look like? I am always reluctant to criticize a college athlete, but (a) this is a really curious situation and (b) I don't place the blame fully on the athlete here. The staff must have liked something about this shooting strategy to let him keep rolling.

Despite that, it would be a cool ending to the season if they knock off Harvard Saturday. That should get them into the ILT dance. Once there, who the heck knows? If TPG gets hot in cage and the offense plays smart...

As for Bryant on Wednesday, I would look past it and spend the entire week prepping for Harvard. Play the starters for the first half and then save their legs for Saturday. The Bryant game is meaningless except for the resume of the coaching staff. Sometimes you have to do strange things for the greater good. The record for this year is going to look like crud. The only salvation would be an improbably run in the ILT. Optimize for that outcome!
Yup. Staff needed to remove the record setter long ago. Worked last year, was pretty clear early it wasn’t working this year. Team would be better without, which I would think is a coaching decision. They have looked better on O lately, but could be even better without the many turnovers/penalties/bad shots.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I can see the point of the previous two posts, but then I think: where the #e££ else were the attack points going to come from??? One of my recent posts was about the attack in the Dartmouth game going 6/2, 2 goals each, and how that was a good game for the attack overall this year. Then I re-read it later. That would be a good game for the best single attackman on any other team in the IL, for an attack unit as a whole it would be a collapse for any other team in the league. (Maybe not Dartmouth)
Bears O was middie driven this year, but someone on attack had to take the heat off the middies. I think it was only force of habit of oppo coaches that kept longsticks on the others at attack.
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Despite having two wins in a row the Bears offense is still a train wreck. Man up and 6 on 6 is hard to watch and after talking to other D1 coaches, I am convinced this is one of the worst coached teams in D1. Princeton played absolutely terrible against Brown and Dartmouth is just not a good team. I know a couple of sloppy wins excites you guys but what about watching good lacrosse? Doesn't anyone care about that? I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel with Daly and win or lose the rest of the way, I hope he is not coaching at Brown next year because it will be ground hogs day all over again. His record speaks for itself and just watch the product he puts on the field. The question is, does the AD and alumni really care about men's lacrosse at Brown? We will soon find out.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Bears played the first team the entire game.
#10 was dressed for the game and took part in warmups but didn't play, he's missed lots of time this year. No wraps, no brace. Maybe because it's the last home game, and I think he's a capt, so not just wearing sweats.

Pretty much a typical Brown game for 2024. 'Nuff said.

Since it was the only espn+ game this Tuesday, I wonder if the audience was larger than would normally be expected? At least for a while :|
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 pm Bears played the first team the entire game.
#10 was dressed for the game and took part in warmups but didn't play, he's missed lots of time this year. No wraps, no brace. Maybe because it's the last home game, and I think he's a capt, so not just wearing sweats.

Pretty much a typical Brown game for 2024. 'Nuff said.

Since it was the only espn+ game this Tuesday, I wonder if the audience was larger than would normally be expected? At least for a while :|
I did not get a chance to watch the game.

Looking at the box score really did not tell me much - Brown had more ground balls, we had more face-off wins, unfortunately - we had more turnovers and Bryant goalie had few more saves.

What was the difference?
White Shoes

Post by White Shoes »

They were a better coached team. Their O passed the ball and ate up clock and got quality shots. 7 of 10 goals assisted. Their zone D stopped Bears cold. 5 goals until garbage time. Only 3 assists. Wonder if Byrne will throw a zone at them Sat?
Brown O was the same . Looking for a Middie to score or hoping 43 will score at higher than 20%. 2/3 of starting A scoreless.
Bush cheap shot on the Bryant goalie at the final whistle left a bad impression of who this team is.
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

Dominated possession for the first quarter and only came out of it with a 2-1 lead. It just felt like the tide would turn after that and it did. Credit to the defense who continues to play pretty well. Just not getting any good looks on offense. Maybe the D middies need to push it more in transition on Saturday instead of pulling it out and setting up for another shot clock violation.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

When the set O is what we see, take the unsettled shot & take your lumps if it's saved, so what if it leads to a break the other way?!?! You're 3-10.
The LSMs & rushing D-men shoot more than the SSDMs on breaks, except #5 takes his shots, and he usually makes a good decision. Has #23 taken a shot all year?
X attack is... dodge to GLE and pass to a wing. Yes I know he's a freshman. 1) Have you seen the other frosh attack playing in the IL? 2) This means the squad has no one on the sideline who can be more of a threat from x???
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Everyone have their chips&dips, voodoo pins and stuffed tiger cuddlies ready for noon? Make the Hvd game meaningful!
I'm going to give the athletic dept the benefit of the doubt and say that possibly stumbling into an ILT berth won't influence the postseason eval of the realities of the program.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 am Everyone have their chips&dips, voodoo pins and stuffed tiger cuddlies ready for noon? Make the Hvd game meaningful!
I'm going to give the athletic dept the benefit of the doubt and say that possibly stumbling into an ILT berth won't influence the postseason eval of the realities of the program.
Hope springs eternal, and I do hope you're right about the post-season evaluation.

It is Yale's senior day, and alumni day, with the Bulldogs still on the bubble for the big dance; so yes, please use those voodoo pins on your stuffed tigers.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I have tickets for the game today, but will admit that if the noon result is unfavorable, my purchase may turn out to be just a contribution to the Harvard Athletic Department. Massey has the Bears as 4.5 point dogs, although in a game like this with so many criss-crossing story lines, it's hard to rely on a statistical forecast.

There is a lot of focus on the future of the Brown coaching staff, but Byrne has to be feeling some heat as well. This is his fifth season at the helm, albeit with some messed up Covid time. Admissions has been quite cooperative with him and he is recruiting with one of the world's best brand names on his business card. Even if Harvard wins today, their season will be over and they will have a 2-4 Ivy record. Byrne has yet to make the ILT in three tries. If Harvard loses today, Byrne's Ivy record will stand at 6-12 with an embarrassing loss to Dartmouth. Worse yet, the trend is not his friend. He will have gone from 3-3 in '22 to 2-4 in '23 to 1-5 in '24.

Ever true!
(Unless Princeton wins. 8-) )

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”