Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by FMUBart »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am
=wgdsr post_id=530623 time=1711028181 user_id=472]

wgdsr wrote
home team brings the balls. some balls are more grippy than others. wouldn't surprise me if on purpose or not, 'cuse could garner an advantage by going with some pretty grippy balls bc their sticks are set up better to handle it.
Fantastic!! Bagged sticks with sick hold and grippy balls. This is why the women's game is sooooo much prettier than the men's game. More, and better, passing, more movement all over the field and more two way players. Man, would I love to see the women's sticks brought to the men's game (yes, I know that aint never gonna happen).
see: Brad Kotz stick :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, bring those back, they're essentially what the wlaxers are using now.
The "stick technology" never should have been allowed to go beyond that era's
stick. JMHO.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Kotz knew with near certainty where his pass was going and where his shot was placed.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Will Mark with an outstanding game, but I don’t see enough credit for the sophomore Billy Dwan. He’s got the size and height to negate O’Neill, and he appeared faster. You could tell he frustrated O’Neil since so many of O’Neill’s shots weren’t even on goal.

Syracuse has played two flawless games on a row now.

On to Hobart, which ordinarily I’d call a trap game, except Hobart is as awful a Hobart team this year as they’ve ever had (lost to Cornell 23-7…).
DMac

Post by DMac »

The way I see it the D (Dwan included) hasn't been given enough credit all year. People are quick to criticize but that D has been good, the O wasn't paying them back by scoring when they kept 'em in games. This team is still two OT goals away from being undefeated (throw a missed open cage shot in OT in there too). I'm all in on the D, SSDMs included (Rice is REALLY good...and fast).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:16 pm The way I see it the D (Dwan included) hasn't been given enough credit all year. People are quick to criticize but that D has been good, the O wasn't paying them back by scoring when they kept 'em in games. This team is still two OT goals away from being undefeated (throw a missed open cage shot in OT in there too). I'm all in on the D, SSDMs included (Rice is REALLY good...and fast).
I love their high pressure defense and their 'trap' defense slides. #11 is also very good, cerebral player with a calm confidence about his play. I am sure it really helps when you play a more traditional offense like Duke who does not use high motion, as Cuse does.....it allows all those practice reps aginst your team to translate to a slower game once another opponent shows up. The added blessing, is it builds great team chemistry.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 am
a fan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm This team is a Final Four candidate - I personally have them as one of the top five candidates.

Duke doesn't have a significant win yet, they've got an up hill battle.
Man.......Duke just didn't get off the bus today. Bummer. It happens. Game ain't over yet, though, so....

And am I the only guy who sees bad pass after bad pass eating dirt because of whipped-out stringing?
iirc, one thing gait did (a while ago?) was have his guys eliminate a lot of whip in their sticks. home team brings the balls. some balls are more grippy than others. wouldn't surprise me if on purpose or not, 'cuse could garner an advantage by going with some pretty grippy balls bc their sticks are set up better to handle it.
Thanks for this, I didn't know Gait did this.

i know I've said this before, but if a rank amateur like myself can see team after team with players throwing whipped out passes into the dirt, SURELY coaches see this. I don't get why' they're not on them. One or two bad passes can end a game, I don't get why it's tolerated.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am Fantastic!! Bagged sticks with sick hold and grippy balls. This is why the women's game is sooooo much prettier than the men's game. More, and better, passing, more movement all over the field and more two way players. Man, would I love to see the women's sticks brought to the men's game (yes, I know that aint never gonna happen).
We could eliminate the offset.

College swimming outlawed fastskins (for performance).
College baseball deadened bats (for safety & performance).
College bball moved the 3-point line back (for performance).
Golf outlaws specific clubs and balls (for performance).

We can eliminate offset heads / shafts.
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:58 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:28 am Fantastic!! Bagged sticks with sick hold and grippy balls. This is why the women's game is sooooo much prettier than the men's game. More, and better, passing, more movement all over the field and more two way players. Man, would I love to see the women's sticks brought to the men's game (yes, I know that aint never gonna happen).

IIRC Tierney in his Princeton days demanded players showed that they could pass effectively with an offset....and if they couldn't they had to change to an old school head. Don't know if he did this while he was at DU.

You could easily argue it's a safety issue...you have to generate more force to dislodge the ball with offset and/or pinched heads.

Old days? Pretty much any contact was enough to get that ball out.

I'd love it if they moved to Superlight II type heads.....but at the same time, I think the games in a great place right now. Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that.

I'm still stunned at how wrong I was about the shot clock. I thought for sure that scoring would go down, because D's now had time on their side. Shows what I know, I guess.....
coda

Post by coda »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:18 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:58 pm

IIRC Tierney in his Princeton days demanded players showed that they could pass effectively with an offset....and if they couldn't they had to change to an old school head. Don't know if he did this while he was at DU.

You could easily argue it's a safety issue...you have to generate more force to dislodge the ball with offset and/or pinched heads.

Old days? Pretty much any contact was enough to get that ball out.

I'd love it if they moved to Superlight II type heads.....but at the same time, I think the games in a great place right now. Don't fix it if it ain't broke and all that.

I'm still stunned at how wrong I was about the shot clock. I thought for sure that scoring would go down, because D's now had time on their side. Shows what I know, I guess.....
You maybe correct. Would be interesting to see the pre-shot clock efficiency vs shot clock efficiency. I would bet possessions are up, not sure if efficiency is up.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I came to the game with an STX Viper and my Sophomore year of HS the Brine Edge came out. It was almost overnight, in terms of the offset heads taking over. I had an Edge to start the next season. I'm grateful for starting my stickwork with a traditionally strung/non-offset head. My hands were softer, my need for a whippy feel was non-existent. I probably could have gained 5+ MPH if I bagged it out, but I would have lost so much accuracy.

I don't watch the high level college game now and think it would be better off without offsets. When they did away with the V shooting strings, I thought that was enough.

I don't think accuracy or additional MPH would have helped those Duke shooters. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.
coda

Post by coda »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:52 pm
I came to the game with an STX Viper and my Sophomore year of HS the Brine Edge came out. It was almost overnight, in terms of the offset heads taking over. I had an Edge to start the next season. I'm grateful for starting my stickwork with a traditionally strung/non-offset head. My hands were softer, my need for a whippy feel was non-existent. I probably could have gained 5+ MPH if I bagged it out, but I would have lost so much accuracy.

I don't watch the high level college game now and think it would be better off without offsets. When they did away with the V shooting strings, I thought that was enough.

I don't think accuracy or additional MPH would have helped those Duke shooters. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.
I think the comments are more about the turnovers. Duke had 19 turnovers and only 6 caused turnovers from Cuse. You could also mention 36 shots and only 18 on goal. Just an ugly day in terms of stick skills for Duke. Those are numbers you would only expect from a game played outdoors in poor weather conditions.
Finster

Post by Finster »

One of the best and funniest lacrosse follows on X (Twitter) is Evan Molloy.

@Turn_Rake13

Very witty stuff.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

coda wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 pm

I think the comments are more about the turnovers. Duke had 19 turnovers and only 6 caused turnovers from Cuse. You could also mention 36 shots and only 18 on goal. Just an ugly day in terms of stick skills for Duke. Those are numbers you would only expect from a game played outdoors in poor weather conditions.
Syracuse defense had a big part in Dukes sloppy play. They were all over them non stop and had Duke frustrated. They couldn't beat there guys and when they did the slide was right there. Then Will Mark was making incredible saves so Syracuse defense is a big reason why Duke was so off last night. Guys were forcing bad shots and making bad passes as they had someone all over them like glue.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:16 pm The way I see it the D (Dwan included) hasn't been given enough credit all year. People are quick to criticize but that D has been good, the O wasn't paying them back by scoring when they kept 'em in games. This team is still two OT goals away from being undefeated (throw a missed open cage shot in OT in there too). I'm all in on the D, SSDMs included (Rice is REALLY good...and fast).
Dmac
I agree with you about Dwan, but one of the fun plays involved a freshman Hottle, who was forced to slide to O'Neill. Hottle is about 5'3" tall and maybe 160. He moved O'Neill off his line. You could sense the smoke coming out his ears. Hottle played the whole game, primarily because he is fast and feisty. I'll be pulling for him forever.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I agree, I think the game is in a great place too. The expansion I've seen for (this is a little scary) sixty years now has brought in so many more athletes, and good ones. Lacrosse players, teams actually, look a whole lot different than the teams of 1962. Everyone on the field has many years lacrosse experience, have had a stick in their hands from very early on in their lives, very much unlike the '62 teams who had some footballers who saw a stick for the first time when they got to campus. D I (not restricted to...what I mostly watch) college lacrosse is pretty damn fantastic, so many really good players all over the field. I'll never be fully accepting of the bags, off sets, sick hold, and grippy balls. All contradictory to what I think the essence of the game is, the ball has to be loose and free, getting help from the stick is strictly verboten in my book. Gotta cradle it (see wlax) to keep it in there. There are still plays when I just shake my head and say that just shouldn't happen, D man got flat out screwed. Great play, ball just shouldn't still be in his stick....sick hold, and grippy ball.
Shot clock made the O play. D wouldn't go out and chase 'em with their grippy ball and sick hold sticks. Shot clock just really eliminated a lot of farting around by the O. Worked like a champ and definitely sped the game (back) up. Worked like a champ for the girls too...we followed their lead. ;)
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:44 am Kotz knew with near certainty where his pass was going and where his shot was placed.
1990 World Games, Perth Australia

Brad Kotz scored 11 Goals for USA on 15 shots :shock:
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

coda wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:19 pm

Well said. I think SU played well, but watching Duke they didn’t look like themselves. I thought Oneil played hesitant. Offense looks lost. Goalie was fine. Nasso is consistent.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

45wewantmore wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:36 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:44 am Kotz knew with near certainty where his pass was going and where his shot was placed.
1990 World Games, Perth Australia

Brad Kotz scored 11 Goals for USA on 15 shots :shock:
And he FACED OFF with that same stick--never ran to the box to get a different crosse after the face! Every shot/pass he made was overhand. He's in the HOF for a reason(s)!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:19 am
The Orfling wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:55 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:49 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:56 pm Best defensive/goaltending performance I think I have ever seen in the shot clock Era, against this type of opponent.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Was incredible, sat there thinking there's no way you can keep this kind of D up for four quarters.
They did, and it aint easy to shut that O down.
Girls did the same thing to NC. D shut their O down, gave up five goals. Two equally impressive D
performances.
Congrats, DMac, Syracuse looked so good! Amazing defense -- including one of the best single game showings by a goalie I've seen. Wow.

Long time 'Cuse watchers -- is "Dome-itis" a cause of some of the turnovers Duke had? Is there an adjustment period to the lights? They couldn't throw or catch for long stretches. I know that midweek games, bus legs, etc. are real, but wondering if you see this kind of thing a bit more in the Dome?
the issues with the dome used to be... you could not hear anything as either the lights or hvac had a very high pitched locust-like sound. literally couldn't scream at someone 15 feet away. and the end zones were silver/gray/white and you couldn't see the ball.

both of those have been eliminated. plus they've opened up the roof (for day games), and have primo lighting now. i didn't see dook missing catches. i saw their passes (and often shots) missing their mark. handcuffing people. often because they were being ragged. no asterisk on this one.
So carrier more or less winds down ops in the area and the hvac suddenly improves if what we’re saying?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”