Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxitup21

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Laxitup21 »

Powell fan,

1. These “kids” get paid to play now. What year are you living in?
2. My points are more so to make a point to the fan base who are the delusional ones, not the kid.

He’s a good kid I’m sure and good for the sport. Just don’t think he’s what people make him out to be (just yet). Moving on..
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Thomson played a nice game last night. Good for him after sub par performances so far this year.

Great having Stevens back what looks like 100% for obvious reasons.

Anyone know if Birt is still hurt? Looked as though he got dinged early in game and then didn't get back on field much after that.
Finster

Post by Finster »

(I’ll post a similar sentiment on the Hop thread)

Syracuse tbf needed this game way more than Hopkins; everything felt geared to that. And, if you looked at the sidelines during any goal, Cuse’s was far more energized than Hopkins’s was.

Here’s my general read: everything that Syracuse needed to win, went their way. Hopkins played their game for the most part, but it wasn’t above that, extra special. Games like this, bring your A+ game or you’re likely to lose.

I remain convinced that UVA, Duke, and ND are a cut above the others. But, both Syracuse and JHU can beat those 3, BUT ONLY if they bring their A+ game. Tall task but not out of the realm of possibility.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:09 am Powell fan,

2. My points are more so to make a point to the fan base who are the delusional ones, not the kid.

He’s a good kid I’m sure and good for the sport. Just don’t think he’s what people make him out to be (just yet). Moving on..
Nice job of backpedaling.
Same old story from his critics, if he doesn't beat his man on every possession, score ten goals, including the game winner, throw nine assists, and come up with eight GBs, he's not living up to the hype.

"After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina."
Is this the first time you've seen him play? Sure sounds like it.

Have you figured out yet why it took so long for the coaching staff to recognize how
good Kohn is? Hint...it took 'em as long to figure out how good he as it took 'em to
figure out how good the freshman Mullen is.

Yes, please do move on. Maybe come back when you know w*t*f you're talking about.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

1. It’s 2024. You sound stuck in 1954. I didn’t realize the transaction of money made it okay to come on an anonymous message board and post untrue things about someone.

2. That wasn’t your point and you still can’t own up to it. Everyone has said how overrated Spallina is after the games against Army and Maryland. You just think you’re being original. You thought your Nate Solomon jibe was cute (it wasn’t, it was pretty pompous) and thought you would back it up by saying something completely untrue.

You are over on the UNC message board heaving high praise on Owen Duffy for scoring a lot of points against Hofstra of all teams. So when Spallina does it he’s overrated, but if Duffy does it, then he’s special. Got it. Also for the record Duffy only had two assists against Hopkins, so I guess he’s not even in Nate Solomon’s orbit.

Please move on and stop posting on this site.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:24 am

1. It’s 2024. You sound stuck in 1954. I didn’t realize the transaction of money made it okay to come on an anonymous message board and post untrue things about someone.

2. That wasn’t your point and you still can’t own up to it. Everyone has said how overrated Spallina is after the games against Army and Maryland. You just think you’re being original. You thought your Nate Solomon jibe was cute (it wasn’t, it was pretty pompous) and thought you would back it up by saying something completely untrue.

You are over on the UNC message board heaving high praise on Owen Duffy for scoring a lot of points against Hofstra of all teams. So when Spallina does it he’s overrated, but if Duffy does it, then he’s special. Got it. Also for the record Duffy only had two assists against Hopkins, so I guess he’s not even in Nate Solomon’s orbit.

Please move on and stop posting on this site.
Rackem!!!!!!
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:03 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:45 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:04 am
Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:45 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:31 pm After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina. Guy can’t dodge. Nice finisher and reminds me of Nate Solomon.

Their face off guy is legit. Crazy he’s been there so long and now is starting to dominate.
He had 6 ots against Hopkins Top defender, what more were you looking for him to do? Work the concessions at half?
That guy is just silly.

——————

Spallina is boat-racing the rest of Division I in scoring.
53 points through 8 games.

Personally, I’m seeing all that summer Canadian box league work starting to pay off.

What I see is a hard-working lacrosse player.
Against poor competition. He’s played poorly vs top teams less Hopkins, where he was more so the benefiter of a doorstep goal and assist. He’s the benefit of a talented team with sixth year seniors, Princeton transfers etc. he’s not a QB, which I thought he’d be more of. Just a finisher. Solid player, not Shelly, which you would have thought with all his pre season hype.
Just a finisher? He just had three assists against Hopkins. Amazing that they let people type whatever nonsense they want on this board.
Stop kidding yourself, he’s just not that good. He was supposed to be the next Gary Gait reading on this board and the hype and it’s just not there. He’s Nate Solomon 2.0, not Ryan Powell
When did I call him Gary Gait or Ryan Powell? I don’t care what the media says. He’s a good player and you’re simply posting false information to fulfill whatever bizarre agenda you have against this kid. You called him a finisher, when he’s coming off a game with three assists, to say nothing of the fact he’s got more assists than goals this year. But of course you can’t rely on any facts so you go down the old, lazy, tired boring talking points about him not living up to whatever ideal you have in your head.

Good for you, you came on a message board to trash a 19 year old kid behind your keyboard. Hope you feel good about yourself.
laxlax29

Post by laxlax29 »

I'll say this again, Spallina isn't a big dodging threat and never will be but that doesn't mean he can't be the #1 guy on a very good-great offense (clearly, as he already is). If you watched his high school highlights it was clear that his post up stuff wouldn't work against the ACC's defensemen, that style doesn't translate well against top competition, even Lyle Thompson would have had a big adjustment to make if he had played in the ACC (look at his game against Landis in the semis, though it would have been fascinating to see how he adjusted playing against top defenders for four years).

Spallina is a Logan Wisnauskas type, he's a great facilitator, feeder and shooter who would thrive in a movement heavy system like Maryland's where other guys can carry the burden of getting the defense to rotate and he can use his quick decision making and ability to flat out put the ball in the net and make the final pass to an open teammate. Hopefully 'Cuse can get some more guys that can dodge in over the next two years to complement him and let him do what he does best.

Let's just appreciate these players for what they are, stop heaping vitriol and enjoy watching and analyzing this awesome sport.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

^Good summation
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:37 am
10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:27 am
JeremyCuse wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:45 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:31 pm After watching Syracuse, I can’t believe all the hype around Spallina. Guy can’t dodge. Nice finisher and reminds me of Nate Solomon.

Their face off guy is legit. Crazy he’s been there so long and now is starting to dominate.
He had 6 ots against Hopkins Top defender, what more were you looking for him to do? Work the concessions at half?
That guy is just silly.

——————

Spallina is boat-racing the rest of Division I in scoring.
53 points through 8 games.

Personally, I’m seeing all that summer Canadian box league work starting to pay off.

What I see is a hard-working lacrosse player.
Against poor competition. He’s played poorly vs top teams less Hopkins, where he was more so the benefiter of a doorstep goal and assist. He’s the benefit of a talented team with sixth year seniors, Princeton transfers etc. he’s not a QB, which I thought he’d be more of. Just a finisher. Solid player, not Shelly, which you would have thought with all his pre season hype.
Who is this guy? I have not been here for the last few years, hence I don''t understand the constant carping about officials, single plays, snarky trolling like this guy wallows in. Yesterday, I watched one of the finest games in the last few years played by an SU team that used to fold away from home in big time games. And all we get here is drivel about the referees. Did anyone observe the quality of offensive tactics against JHU: the way SU adapted to the much too early slides by JHU in in the first half . SU speeded up an already elite passing game to take advantage of those slides in the second half. In the first half, SU might have scored a half dozen more were their shots on goal. The d played its heart out. Several poles slipped on the wet turf with the result of JHU goals. And jesus, those fogos. This is an SU team to thrill to.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Scoreboard watching here in Maryland.

It’s possible that Syracuse is finding its groove. Delaware isn’t shabby.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Mark and Hiltz
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hiltz with 6 Gs today, had to happen. He's got an incredible shot but has been a hair off a lot. Pipe shots, some great GK saves on him too. 9 shots today, 9 on goal, 6 goals. Nice!!
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

Pretty solid play overall by the team. SSDM's got burnt a couple times early then some adjustments were made. cuse held Hens at 5 goals for a very long time and D was very solid. Mark had a great game and Mullen went 5 for 7 after a less than stellar day for Mason. Hiltz looked like he did early last year. Overall a team solid win today. Big game on Wednesday for sure!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:14 pm Mark and Hiltz
Yay Mark and Hiltz!

Have to like how different guys are stepping up when needed. Mullen at X needs mention too.

Shout for second half D shut down of Hens.

Bring on the Dook... for better or worse.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Surprised not much chatter here about tonight’s game.

Faceoff squads nearly even at 64% and 62%. That matchup should be intriguing.

The goalie matchups probably more intriguing. Senior Mark at 55% versus freshman Jamieson at 62%. First time for Jamieson in a dome though. Could be the game right there.

Imo if you shut off Spallina, Cuse is vulnerable. If you let him play, their shooters will eat you alive.

For Duke, I don’t think you need necessarily shut off O’Neill. You have two others in Zawada and Williams who are equally lethal.

I’ll make one pick: I think McAdorey has a big game. He’s got the desire to show his St A’s buddy Leo who’s in charge.

Any final outcome and score tonight won’t surprise me.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster,
Should be a great game. Two teams that seem to be very evenly matched. I really think it simply comes down to who wins the faceoff battle. Kohn and Mullen are both beasts for Cuse. If one team can win the FO battle and get those extra possessions, I think in such what appears to be a very evenly matched contest, could ultimately make the difference in who wins and loses.

Good luck to both teams.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:42 am Surprised not much chatter here about tonight’s game.

The goalie matchups probably more intriguing. Senior Mark at 55% versus freshman Jamieson at 62%. First time for Jamieson in a dome though. Could be the game right there.

Imo if you shut off Spallina, Cuse is vulnerable. If you let him play, their shooters will eat you alive.

For Duke, I don’t think you need necessarily shut off O’Neill. You have two others in Zawada and Williams who are equally lethal.

I’ll make one pick: I think McAdorey has a big game. He’s got the desire to show his St A’s buddy Leo who’s in charge.

McAdorey most likely has Olexo on him so should be a good matchup. Leo has been quiet I think the opposite he has a big game. Should be exciting and curious how Dukes goalie plays in his first real ACC matchup. He's played well but hasn't faced any explosive offenses yet. He definitely will be tested tonight. Will Mark coming off his best game of the yr needs to keep that momentum and have another big game for Cuse.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:42 am Surprised not much chatter here about tonight’s game.

There's a lot of talk about tonight's game it's just not here. Fanlax isn't the main site where most Cuse fans are.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Hoping Syracuse can keep it within 3. For the sake of my parlay.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”