Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by JeremyCuse »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:29 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:39 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:36 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:11 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:53 pm
coda wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:55 pm
molo wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:29 pm Actually, some teams have tried to short Cormier but haven’t had much success with the strategy.
Yes… you can have a straight finisher and be fine, if have some dodgers around him. Though UVa ride has suffered, compared to prior Lars teams. Tiernan (Michigan) and Cormier are at the top of the nation is goals per game, but you wouldn’t want both of them on your attack. 1 makes your attack great, 2 and it’s becomes questionable
uva had 2 finishers at attack last year and scored over 17 gpg. you can have all kinds of offenses. this is the syracuse thread. my 2 cents they didn't play the second half good enough. and yeah, maybe they don't have a late game guy yet. but that's not a death knell, either.
I think difference is the quality of the finishers. You wouldn’t dare leave Dickson and Cormier on a shorty, just like you wouldn’t leave Taylor or Williams. I know teams have tried but they usually pay a price for it. Also at least for Dickson and Cormier it seems they can do enough dodging to make a shorty pay for it. Mule just isn’t at that level. Or at least he wasn’t against Cornell.
Dickson also developed into a sneaky effective dodger. You can't short Cormier because of his size.

For Syracuse, I'd put Leo at attack just to force a close defender to guard him. Maryland had this issue last year with Dan Kelly. Teams started shorting him, and the double poles in the midfield just gummed up the offense. From what I've seen of Mule, he is a very good finisher; but unlike Cormier, he's small enough that a shorty can get on his arms and hands to disrupt his finishes. Bumping Leo down and drawing that close defender probably opens up more passing lanes, too, for finishes or skip passes. There's something to be said for getting as many athletes on the field as you can. Leo is a very good athlete.
I wouldn't change anything. SU has had success with the lineup as is. They didn't lose the game because Mule had a very bad night or because they don't have enough "athletes" on attack. So many other factors as to why they lost... aside from Mark, might want to look at the defensive end for one. Also, SU had at least a couple opportunities to put Big Red away but shot placement and/or lack of stick fakes made CU goalie look all-world and only helped to build their confidence.
I'm thinking about the playoffs here. Allowing teams to short an attackman in a one-and-done tournament scenario certainly is risky. SU's midfield is very good, and it's deep. If you bump Leo down to attack, pretty sure there's a guy on the 2nd MF line that is really good. SU's already has an issue with attack dodging. Hiltz isn't a dodger. Spallina has trouble against top cover guys from Top 10 teams. And Mule gets shorted already. It's all putting so much pressure on the midfield. Guess we'll find out.
Agree with moving Leo maybe even if it's only a few possessions each half but you gotta get that secondary dodging threat on the attack line with Spallina and try and open things up a bit. Mule as Powellfan noted has save for the Maryland game played pretty good but he was awful against Cornell on Tuesday and their short sticks aren't exactly elite
Finster

Post by Finster »

I’ll keep posting here to move the thread back into relevance. At least until the last game, whenever that is.

Not sure how to react to yesterday. I didn’t watch but read all the comments elsewhere on the internet.

Such a strange team. Maybe too young? You have to (obviously) put away bad teams. Cuse had ZERO 4Q goals. I don’t buy the ‘Pat March wasn’t there’ excuse.

Carolina could have won. That’s inexcusable.

A win is a win, except you know, it didn’t feel much like a win.

Onto home finale versus Virginia. If the Hoos lose to Duke today, they’ll come in hungry. If the Hoos beat Duke today, they could be looking ahead to their next game versus Notre Dame.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:48 am I’ll keep posting here to move the thread back into relevance. At least until the last game, whenever that is.

Not sure how to react to yesterday. I didn’t watch but read all the comments elsewhere on the internet.

Such a strange team. Maybe too young? You have to (obviously) put away bad teams. Cuse had ZERO 4Q goals. I don’t buy the ‘Pat March wasn’t there’ excuse.

Onto home finale versus Virginia. If the Hoos lose to Duke today, they’ll come in hungry. If the Hoos beat Duke today, they could be looking ahead to their next game versus Notre Dame.
Going to give an outsiders perspective on your biggest issue right now. It’s a 5th year starting attackman who not only produces very few points, he now has drawn a short stick for 3 straight games.
Team seems more concerned with highlights than making the simple, fundamental plays that win games. While up only 4 goals in the 3rd quarter, cuse had back to back possessions where guys were throwing ill advised btbs wide / into the side of the net rather than putting the final nail in the coffin. See also senior captain Olexxo running down and taking a shot with no back up with ~2-3 minutes left and only up a goal after a long defensive possession.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:12 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:48 am I’ll keep posting here to move the thread back into relevance. At least until the last game, whenever that is.

Going to give an outsiders perspective on your biggest issue right now. It’s a 5th year starting attackman who not only produces very few points, he now has drawn a short stick for 3 straight games.
Team seems more concerned with highlights than making the simple, fundamental plays that win games. While up only 4 goals in the 3rd quarter, cuse had back to back possessions where guys were throwing ill advised btbs wide / into the side of the net rather than putting the final nail in the coffin. See also senior captain Olexxo running down and taking a shot with no back up with ~2-3 minutes left and only up a goal after a long defensive possession.
After CU game i posted, don't change anything but maybe Mule is an issue, although I think the team has other more pressing problems. He has had two poor showings in a row and I get that he's often drawing a shortie. I will say I think he rides well but that isn't enough obviously. Maybe Leo is an answer on attack but he didn't exactly light it up yesterday either despite quite a few touches.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 am

After CU game i posted, don't change anything but maybe Mule is an issue, although I think the team has other more pressing problems. He has had two poor showings in a row and I get that he's often drawing a shortie. I will say I think he rides well but that isn't enough obviously. Maybe Leo is an answer on attack but he didn't exactly light it up yesterday either despite quite a few touches.
Dwan has more goals than Mule over the last 3 games, and he’s been shortsticked… that’s a major liability for the offense considering the starting atrack rarely draws a slide and they initiate through the midfield.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:39 am

Dwan has more goals than Mule over the last 3 games, and he’s been shortsticked… that’s a major liability for the offense considering the starting atrack rarely draws a slide and they initiate through the midfield.
As a PL guy, and watching Mule for a few years at Lehigh, his game changed and went kinda sideways. goals declined and he became the assist guy, almost doubling his assists from prior years. He certainly has talent, and is game ready, but his utilization in the cuse offense is just not in synch. At Lehigh he played with in a rather controlled system....does not seem as orchestrated here at cuse. I suppose March may be allowing him to find his way here.

I actually think the others on the team should be paying more attention to Mule's strengths, rather than Mule trying to mimic the gimmicky highlight style that is going on. Alternatively, March and Gait need to decide if they are cool with players undervaluing the ball, enough so, that they pi55 away many opportunities in the name of sexy/risky play.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gary gait at the helm, it wasn't a stretch to figure that they'd be playing a looser style. and frankly, 'cuse probably needed some of that. the question, of course, is whether they rose in the 80s and then beyond as a result of that style or in combo with attracting/having the guys that could not only get away with it and do it, but also had superior talent. because they did.

whether the style can now attract superior talent regularly again vs most of the other dawgs is the question. chicken or the egg.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:59 am

As a PL guy, and watching Mule for a few years at Lehigh, his game changed and went kinda sideways. goals declined and he became the assist guy, almost doubling his assists from prior years. He certainly has talent, and is game ready, but his utilization in the cuse offense is just not in synch. At Lehigh he played with in a rather controlled system....does not seem as orchestrated here at cuse. I suppose March may be allowing him to find his way here.

I actually think the others on the team should be paying more attention to Mule's strengths, rather than Mule trying to mimic the gimmicky highlight style that is going on. Alternatively, March and Gait need to decide if they are cool with players undervaluing the ball, enough so, that they pi55 away many opportunities in the name of sexy/risky play.
I don’t think Mule is not a good player, he just is not much of a dodging threat, and it’s causing big issues when teams can double pole the cuse mids. That’s where they generate slides.

I’m 100% with you on the undervaluing the ball part. In my eyes, that highlight reel, lackadaisical attitude with the ball has been the downfall of the program. They do not have an insane talent gap over 95% of other teams like they did up to the late 2000s. They need to adapt and play much better situational lacrosse, clear better, win the gb battle etc.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mule isn't a big dodging threat, but that was known coming in to the year tbh. He's supposed to be your #3 attackmen. Over-focusing on him goes a little too much into it. The attack in general is an issue.

Spallina against ACC/Top 20 OOC opponents: 8 goals/18 assists/24 points (7 gms): 3.4 ppg
Hiltz: 11 goals/7 assists/18 points (7 gms): 2.5 ppg
Mule: 9 goals/8 assists/17 points (7 gms): 2.4 ppg

They also combined for 14 points against Cornell, who has the worst defense of any team in the Top 20 by far. Combined for 10 points against UNC (who's not a Top 20 team), 7 against ND, 7 against Duke, 13 against Hop (best game of the season), 7 against Army, 5 against Maryland. Against the really, really good teams....the attack just doesn't do enough. Spallina isn't winning his matchup against premium cover defenders to draw slides, Mule obviously isn't beating a shortie, and Hiltz is often a bystander. When Hiltz can win his match-up it can get some things going but that's not often enough. Frankly, I think it's gotta start with 22. 8 goals in 7 games against the best teams just ain't gonna cut it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am Mule isn't a big dodging threat, but that was known coming in to the year tbh. He's supposed to be your #3 attackmen. Over-focusing on him goes a little too much into it. The attack in general is an issue.

Spallina against ACC/Top 20 OOC opponents: 8 goals/18 assists/24 points (7 gms): 3.4 ppg

They also combined for 14 points against Cornell, who has the worst defense of any team in the Top 20 by far. Combined for 10 points against UNC (who's not a Top 20 team), 7 against ND, 7 against Duke, 13 against Hop (best game of the season), 7 against Army, 5 against Maryland. Against the really, really good teams....the attack just doesn't do enough. Spallina isn't winning his matchup against premium cover defenders to draw slides, Mule obviously isn't beating a shortie, and Hiltz is often a bystander. When Hiltz can win his match-up it can get some things going but that's not often enough. Frankly, I think it's gotta start with 22. 8 goals in 7 games against the best teams just ain't gonna cut it.
Pretty simple reason, really.

Syracuse isn't a great team. But that's the case for most of D1, which explains why the results are all over the place this year. All teams have flaws, and all of these teams have fairly equal amounts of talent.

Anyone see that Layfayette beat Boston U? How'd BU beat Army? Hopkins beats UVa one week, and then a bit later, loses to Navy. SU hammers Duke one week, and loses to Cornell the next. Georgetown loses to Loyola, yet beats Notre Dame.

Simple reason, imho....all these teams are very close in talent in a way we have never seen before. Some teams have epic attacks, but weak midfield. Some have stellar D, and meh offense. Some have solid, but not great D and O, but coupled with great faceoff play, they're winning games.

Syracuse isn't some outlier....Syracuse is the norm.

The Final Four is 100% up for grabs as of now. It's down to how gets hot in May....and who, most importantly, gets the bids and seeds. They're are going to be some unhappy campers who don't get bids this year, yet should have.....
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:57 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am Mule isn't a big dodging threat, but that was known coming in to the year tbh. He's supposed to be your #3 attackmen. Over-focusing on him goes a little too much into it. The attack in general is an issue.

Syracuse isn't a great team. But that's the case for most of D1, which explains why the results are all over the place this year. All teams have flaws, and all of these teams have fairly equal amounts of talent.

Anyone see that Layfayette beat Boston U? How'd BU beat Army? Hopkins beats UVa one week, and then a bit later, loses to Navy. SU hammers Duke one week, and loses to Cornell the next. Georgetown loses to Loyola, yet beats Notre Dame.

Simple reason, imho....all these teams are very close in talent in a way we have never seen before. Some teams have epic attacks, but weak midfield. Some have stellar D, and meh offense. Some have solid, but not great D and O, but coupled with great faceoff play, they're winning games.

The Final Four is 100% up for grabs as of now. It's down to how gets hot in May....and who, most importantly, gets the bids and seeds. They're are going to be some unhappy campers who don't get bids this year, yet should have.....
if/when we get a bid thief or 2 in the ivy/b1g/big east, things will get really squirrelly. #popcornout
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:17 am
a fan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:57 am

if/when we get a bid thief or 2 in the ivy/b1g/big east, things will get really squirrelly. #popcornout
I think that Committee (and the fans) is going to have a very difficult time making a clear-cut case for the last team in vs. the team(s) left out.

Finding and ranking the 10-16 best Tournament resumes right now is a big fat mess. Can't imagine all the Conference tournaments are going make things better.....I suspect they'll muddy the waters even more. Break out the popcorn, indeed.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Spallina has his own issues regarding producing against quality opponents, but at least he’s occupying top cover guys. A starting ACC attackman not only getting shorted, but not producing against short sticks, is horrible. I can only remember that happening 1 other time in the last ~15 years, and Cormier put a quick end to that by filling up the net.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:33 am

Spallina has his own issues regarding producing against quality opponents, but at least he’s occupying top cover guys. A starting ACC attackman not only getting shorted, but not producing against short sticks, is horrible. I can only remember that happening 1 other time in the last ~15 years, and Cormier put a quick end to that by filling up the net.
Sure, but Spallina is always going to get the top cover guy. He got the top cover guy last year. It was expected going into this year he would get the top cover guy. He's your best attackmen and most talented player. Your most talented player needs to do more than merely "occupy top cover guys"; he's gotta produce too.

Take it from a Maryland fan
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Cuse does love the BTB. BTB pass into tight space resulting in BTB shot for a goal sure is pretty but it is also high risk. Watched several games this year where just passing around the horn on man up there are BTBs used. They worked and were likely a bit faster than turning and throwing but also seemed unnecessary and made me wonder ...to your point about being too focused on the highlight fancy play. I didn't notice the late BTB shots yesterday but I was distracted as I thought game was over at 10-5 (I think that was the score). Clearing for both teams yesterday seemed questionable.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Again, you're fixated on Mule. This team has larger issues. Switching Mule out for less PT is just tinkering around the edges. I wonder about team chemistry? Too many prima donnas? How are the coaches handling the personalities? They're playing like a collective head case. Offensively they get a cushion and then play as if every pass and or shot is a media highlight and forget fundamentals like, as mentioned, backing up shots on goal, for just one. Defensively they play soft when they can't afford to as the offense is screwing up their score cushion. Overconfidence? Arrogance? That dominance of Duke may have not been so good for this team team because they've played like crap ever since.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:22 pm

Again, you're fixated on Mule. This team has larger issues. Switching Mule out for less PT is just tinkering around the edges. I wonder about team chemistry? Too many prima donnas? How are the coaches handling the personalities? They're playing like a collective head case. Offensively they get a cushion and then play as if every pass and or shot is a media highlight and forget fundamentals like, as mentioned, backing up shots on goal, for just one. Defensively they play soft when they can't afford to as the offense is screwing up their score cushion. Overconfidence? Arrogance? That dominance of Duke may have not been so good for this team team because they've played like crap ever since.

Maybe you’re too close as a fan, but you just described every cuse team for a decade. This season is just more of the same.

Also think some on here are severely underestimating the impact that freeing up a second pole to put on the midfield is having on this cuse offense, but I guess I’ll stop beating a dead horse.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:52 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:22 pm

Maybe you’re too close as a fan, but you just described every cuse team for a decade. This season is just more of the same.

Also think some on here are severely underestimating the impact that freeing up a second pole to put on the midfield is having on this cuse offense, but I guess I’ll stop beating a dead horse.
Good idea.
a fan

Post by a fan »

After watching the ND-Cornell game, and watching ND blow an early lead, and making some undisciplined btb shots...

.....I'm starting to think that SU did just fine against Cornell, and came up a goal short.

What a fun game to watch today.
Finster

Post by Finster »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:04 pm After watching the ND-Cornell game, and watching ND blow an early lead, and making some undisciplined btb shots...

.....I'm starting to think that SU did just fine against Cornell, and came up a goal short.

What a fun game to watch today.

Cornell’s team has a never-give-up culture. It’s refreshing to see.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”