Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mid-Lax

Re: Yale 2024

Post by Mid-Lax »

Not ready to say that Yale's attack is less than elite yet. Their offense has not only held up but excelled. Kuhl and Anderson have done a great job of filling respective roles supported by Brandau at the helm. I can certainly say I was alarmed when Johnson and Lyons were missing games, but, these two attack have come along nicely. They are improving too. Agree that recruiting, depth, and coaching (and, of course, talent) put them in position to succeed.

By the way, great job on defense and goal tending vs Penn. EMO remains an enigma. And what's with QK ranking the Eli's higher than the Media and Coach's polls? Need to hold up that view against a tough Terrier team.
Lux et veritas
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Good luck to the Eli's today against a very good and very dangerous Terriers team.

I love these midweek games as it gives us lacrosse junkies our fix as we wait for the great games on the weekend, especially when it's a great matchup like this one.

Last Tuesday night's game was epic, and I'm sure the Yale fans don't want a heartstopper like we had, but it was great for the fans watching.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
tech37

Post by tech37 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:20 am Good luck to the Eli's today against a very good and very dangerous Terriers team.
Agreed. But... go BU!

I love these midweek games as it gives us lacrosse junkies our fix as we wait for the great games on the weekend, especially when it's a great matchup like this one.
Agreed.

Last Tuesday night's game was epic, and I'm sure the Yale fans don't want a heartstopper like we had, but it was great for the fans watching.
Disagree. Despite whichever team won, that was an "epic" mess. ;)

Gobigred
Joewillie78
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Great game. Yale goalie!
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

When you are the visiting BU's Braves Field (history) and get into a back-and-forth game, then all that matters is getting the 'W'. They did. Kuddos to the entire team. Brandau, Keib, Anderson and the offense consistently kept the Elis on top. Answered the call every time BU got within one or two goals. I thought the 4th qtr long empty net goal by Bragg iced the game, but BU came back again. Brandau then sealed the deal. What a great game by Matt with 11 points. Overall the team was very good on faceoffs and ground balls. However, the Elis were outshot 64(31) to 35(24). Wow. Many times no slides occurred. Not sure if that was by design or if the team lacked situational awareness. Often, BU came from X or cut across the middle and shot with uncontested hands. Luckily, often missing the cage or Paquette made the save. On turnovers, a very good BU ride and sloppy Eli handling resulted in 20 turnovers. Lastly, a slow start in the cage improved by the ending sequence of four Paquette saves including several tough bouncers. In all, glad to see the offense operating on all cylinders, but, discouraged by the backward steps on clears-turnovers and defense. The latter were so far off the Penn game performance that they have me concerned over their remaining games.
Lux et veritas
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Mid-Lax wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:48 pm When you are the visiting BU's Braves Field (history) and get into a back-and-forth game, then all that matters is getting the 'W'. They did. Kuddos to the entire team. Brandau, Keib, Anderson and the offense consistently kept the Elis on top. Answered the call every time BU got within one or two goals. I thought the 4th qtr long empty net goal by Bragg iced the game, but BU came back again. Brandau then sealed the deal. What a great game by Matt with 11 points. Overall the team was very good on faceoffs and ground balls. However, the Elis were outshot 64(31) to 35(24). Wow. Many times no slides occurred. Not sure if that was by design or if the team lacked situational awareness. Often, BU came from X or cut across the middle and shot with uncontested hands. Luckily, often missing the cage or Paquette made the save. On turnovers, a very good BU ride and sloppy Eli handling resulted in 20 turnovers. Lastly, a slow start in the cage improved by the ending sequence of four Paquette saves including several tough bouncers. In all, glad to see the offense operating on all cylinders, but, discouraged by the backward steps on clears-turnovers and defense. The latter were so far off the Penn game performance that they have me concerned over their remaining games.
Very good assessment of the game, Mid-Lax. Some of the Yale turnovers were ride-related but there were some mental errors (a couple of offsides, and at least one play where on the clear they gave the ball back to a tired Mac Rodriguez who was promptly swarmed rather than pass it back to a pole or look for a shorty); some of that could be a bit of mental fatigue after an intense game against Penn. I share your concern on team defense although noting that BU is a good offensive team that hung 14 on Army; in the concerns department I repeat my oft-stated refrain that the whole often seems less than the sum of the parts. But, super fun "W" and great to enjoy Matt Brandau's great season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations on Coach Shay for being selected as the Head Coach of the U.S. Men's National Sixes Lacrosse Team:

https://x.com/YaleLacrosse/status/1778110456550338603

(I am not a big fan of sixes but I'm a big fan of Andy Shay, any time, any place, coaching field lacrosse or sixes or pickleball.)
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Turns out that five guys who would be in the normal rotation - four starters (Johnson, Lyons, Sharp and a starting pole) and one second line middie - are out for the season. This team is working on fumes and doing a very good with it so far this season. The defensive uptick took a serious downward move on Tuesday. If not for the great fourth quarter performance by Paquette plus some mediocre BU fourth quarter shooting, that game might still be going on. Expectations for the distance this team goes need to be tempered by the injuries and defensive performance, but one could argue this is Shay's best coaching job ever with all of the lost personnel. Yes, everyone has injuries, but not this many.

Of course, having Brandau the magician leading the offense helps! So, so good.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 pm Turns out that five guys who would be in the normal rotation - four starters (Johnson, Lyons, Sharp and a starting pole) and one second line middie - are out for the season. This team is working on fumes and doing a very good with it so far this season. The defensive uptick took a serious downward move on Tuesday. If not for the great fourth quarter performance by Paquette plus some mediocre BU fourth quarter shooting, that game might still be going on. Expectations for the distance this team goes need to be tempered by the injuries and defensive performance, but one could argue this is Shay's best coaching job ever with all of the lost personnel. Yes, everyone has injuries, but not this many.

Of course, having Brandau the magician leading the offense helps! So, so good.
It's been pretty amazing how resilient the team has been. (Related question: Who's the second line middie who is out?)
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

dont understand why yale or hofstra would want to schedule a midweek game during league play this late , putting players at risk for injury and not really helping ranking status in the end
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

hofpride wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:31 am dont understand why yale or hofstra would want to schedule a midweek game during league play this late , putting players at risk for injury and not really helping ranking status in the end
I agree with you. Yale has regularly scheduled late-season mid-week OOC games, and I suspect that for recruiting purposes Yale wanted a showcase game in a lacrosse HS hotbed area.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Tough game against Dartmouth. Once again, the ESPN+ feed didn't capture all of the game so the video begins in the second quarter with Yale down 4-7 and misses a rough opening stanza during which Dartmouth outscored Yale 7-1. By the time I tuned in, Mac Rodriguez was no longer taking faceoffs (camera showed him limping on the sidelines); I had assumed Yale lost most of the faceoffs in the difficult first quarter but Mac was 7-1 on faceoffs before (presumably) suffering his injury. So, hard to tell what the issue was in the first quarter; the stats hold some hints as Yale had 5 turnovers (compared to only 4 turnovers total in the second half); didn't get many saves (2 saves, 7 goals against vs. Dartmouth's 6 saves, 1 goal against); and was missing the net a lot (only 50% of Yale's shots were on goal in the first quarter, compared to about 65% after that).

I think the "story" of this game (other than kudos to a Dartmouth team not backing down to anyone) is first, two reserves showing up big time for the Bulldogs (Hugh Conrad in goal and Anthony Annunziata at FOGO), and second, Yale as a team settling in and playing high-intensity, low-mistake lacrosse for the latter three quarters of the game and particularly in the second half.

On the first point, depth helping the Bulldogs again in this injury-heavy season: Hugh Conrad came in after the 10th goal and had a terrific day in the cage, with 10 saves vs. 3 goals against. He also made good decisions in his clearing outlet passes (Yale was 90% in clearing). And perhaps even more crucially in the game AND going forward without knowing more about the health of Nicholas Ramsey and Mac Rodriguez, the impact can't be overstated in how important it was for first-year Anthony Annunziata to come in and go over 50% at the X (12 for 22) and score his first career goal as a Bulldog (congrats to Anthony!).

On the second point, at the point at which Dartmouth took a 10-5 lead in the second quarter, Yale visibly shook off the bus legs and fought back with laser-like focus. Yale held Dartmouth scoreless for about 28 minutes and went on a 14-goal (!); it was 19-10 Yale by the time Dartmouth scored again with about 8 minutes left in the game. Along the way; Yale's ride was ferocious -- Dartmouth was only 20 for 27 on clears on the day and cleared at a 69% pace the final three quarters; Yale's defense was aggressive (8 caused turnovers in the second half, including a couple of "de-stickings"; Yale's shooting was accurate (39% shooting percentage in the second half).

Good, resilient win. Hoping Mac's injury isn't too serious (and same for Nicholas Ramsey, who got hurt during the BU game).
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

...and Yale has clinched a spot in the Ivy League Tourney. This Yale squad has amazing depth, without a sharp drop in quality when the next men are called to step up and play.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:12 pm ...and Yale has clinched a spot in the Ivy League Tourney. This Yale squad has amazing depth, without a sharp drop in quality when the next men are called to step up and play.
Hear, hear! To clinch a spot in the ILT with one Ivy game to play is such an accomplishment. What a job by the team and coaching staff this season. And hopefully there's plenty more good lacrosse to be played.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Don’t look now but Hofstra off to a start here.

Doesn’t really matter what Brandau does unless he drops 12 goals, but if Yale barfs this game, his Tewaaraton chances will take a huge hit. As will Yale’s at large chances.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Tough 1st quarter—turnovers; struggles at the X (Yale top 2 FOGOs hurt; 3 for 10 on face-offs); defense giving up some hands free shots.
molo

Post by molo »

Is anyone else having trouble with the feed? I’m having trouble on both phone and desktop.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm Tough 1st quarter—turnovers; struggles at the X (Yale top 2 FOGOs hurt; 3 for 10 on face-offs); defense giving up some hands free shots.
Tie game at halftime as Yale outscores Hofstra 4-1. Stories of the game: (1) Yale 19% on faceoffs (so the hope is that perhaps there can be some halftime adjustments to the wing play to scrap for possessions); and (2) Paquette playing a strong game with 13 first half saves. And old reliable Brandau with 5 first half points (3G, 2A).
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

molo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm Is anyone else having trouble with the feed? I’m having trouble on both phone and desktop.

Yes. It’s absolutely awful. I get about 5-10 seconds then buffers. Longest stretch was about 1:30 without interruption. Absolutely the worst stream I’ve watched in I don’t know how long. Don’t think I’ve actually seen more than 1 goal live
molo

Post by molo »

Sorry to hear it but at least now I know that my computer and phone are not junk and that I’m not completely nuts. That’s always a fear when you reach my age!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”