Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:21 am The good news—if Jays make it that far—they won’t have to fly to Towson.
Probably will Uber or carpool over
a fan

Post by a fan »

hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:32 am
coda wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:24 am
hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:08 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:57 am
hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am I'll say again. Maybe don't put 60 kids on a bus for 7 hours the day before the Big Ten semis......Unacceptable. What other top 10 D1 program would do that?
I thought they learned that lesson years ago. Maybe the well heeled alums could open their wallets for a flight or two.
The women flew to Northwestern but are currently in the middle of a 12 hour bus drive back over 2 days with an overnight stop in Akron. It's ridiculous. Hopkins only has 2 D1 programs. Treat them like D1 athletes.
I was told the Hopkin's AD has asked the Big 10 for additional money due to expansion. She basically said they can not afford to fly the women's lax program out to the west coast, as they do not get the pay out as the rest of their conference mates. Problem is Hopkins does not have a D1 budget. Its mostly a D3 budget.
Can a southwest flight from Detroit for the whole team really cost that much more than a 2 day bus ride and hotels for a 42 player roster and coaching staff?
The idea that Johns Hopkins can't afford to fly this team back from a game is beyond absurd. How much do they get from the Federal government each year? Then there's tuition, folks like Bloomberg, and a $10.5 BILLLION endowment.

Hopkins can afford to send each player on the Women's team back home on their own personal private jet...they just CHOOSE not to.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“ Johns Hopkins University led all U.S. universities in total National Institutes of Health funding for Fiscal Year 2023, with $842,956,584 in awards “
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

a fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:34 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:32 am
coda wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:24 am
hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:08 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:57 am
hmmm wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:44 am I'll say again. Maybe don't put 60 kids on a bus for 7 hours the day before the Big Ten semis......Unacceptable. What other top 10 D1 program would do that?
I thought they learned that lesson years ago. Maybe the well heeled alums could open their wallets for a flight or two.
The women flew to Northwestern but are currently in the middle of a 12 hour bus drive back over 2 days with an overnight stop in Akron. It's ridiculous. Hopkins only has 2 D1 programs. Treat them like D1 athletes.
I was told the Hopkin's AD has asked the Big 10 for additional money due to expansion. She basically said they can not afford to fly the women's lax program out to the west coast, as they do not get the pay out as the rest of their conference mates. Problem is Hopkins does not have a D1 budget. Its mostly a D3 budget.
Can a southwest flight from Detroit for the whole team really cost that much more than a 2 day bus ride and hotels for a 42 player roster and coaching staff?
The idea that Johns Hopkins can't afford to fly this team back from a game is beyond absurd. How much do they get from the Federal government each year? Then there's tuition, folks like Bloomberg, and a $10.5 BILLLION endowment.

Hopkins can afford to send each player on the Women's team back home on their own personal private jet...they just CHOOSE not to.
We don't agree on much but you are right on this.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Federal grants come with restrictions and are applied for.

Grant/fund accounting is a thing

Bloomburg’s money is also subject to the donation agreement and intent.

I don’t think he has ever given $$$ for athletics.

The endowment also consists of restrictions on a lot of it eg tuition based on need. There is free money there but i doubt it is great as a %.

I don’t know what the 990 shows or the Annual Financial Report.
a fan

Post by a fan »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:17 pm Federal grants come with restrictions and are applied for.

Grant/fund accounting is a thing
Yes, I know.

But, A: you can blow 50% on "overhead", which can pay for awful lot of fluff.....like large portions of wages and salaries that now don't have to come from another pot.

And B: when your ledger is taken care of (and then some) on one side....you've got a whole lot of money that you can focus in other areas.

This is a CHOICE by Hopkins to starve parts of the Athletic Dept. This isn't some JUCO with no resources.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Overhead is limited by almost all grants now.

Then there are the institutional priorities. I agree tgey could find a way if they felt it important to do. Fkights are not cheap
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Overhead is limited by almost all grants now.

Then there are the institutional priorities. I agree tgey could find a way if they felt it important to do. Fkights are not cheap
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

some Hopkins alums need to step up - akin to what Cordish did

As for this team, no chance they were going to beat Notre Dame anyways. Look at what they are doing to UVa and other teams. Yes, maybe if Notre Dame has a down day while Hopkins finds a groove (good luck). Sucks with all this senior talent, but it is what it is.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:57 pm Overhead is limited by almost all grants now.
Spending grant overhead on unrelated stuff (like athletics) is a good way to get into big trouble. This happened to Stanford some years ago.

Ditto donor funds on stuff not in the MOU of the donation. Good way to scare off any future donors.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:24 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:57 pm Overhead is limited by almost all grants now.
Spending grant overhead on unrelated stuff (like athletics) is a good way to get into big trouble. This happened to Stanford some years ago.

Ditto donor funds on stuff not in the MOU of the donation. Good way to scare off any future donors.
FWIW, I didn't mean to cheat. I'm simply pointing out: if salaries of your faculty/ancillary staff are even 20% covered by a specified grant/donation, that's a lot of money you don't have to take out of the General Fund to pay for stuff.

I'd LOVE to have grants take care of even 10% of my staff costs....I can spend that money elsewhere. Or give the staff a raise or better bennies.

Didn't mean to pull you all down this rabbit hole during the season.......
CU77

Post by CU77 »

a fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:37 pm FWIW, I didn't mean to cheat. I'm simply pointing out: if salaries of your faculty/ancillary staff are even 20% covered by a specified grant/donation, that's a lot of money you don't have to take out of the General Fund to pay for stuff.
I'll quit after this, but: that's not how the accounting works. If those grants aren't there, that staff isn't there in the first place.

Bottom line is: ya want yer non-revenue-sport team to fly, ya need a donor who's willing to pay for that (or make enough money off yer revenue sports, which Hop definitely does not).
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:48 pm
a fan wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:37 pm FWIW, I didn't mean to cheat. I'm simply pointing out: if salaries of your faculty/ancillary staff are even 20% covered by a specified grant/donation, that's a lot of money you don't have to take out of the General Fund to pay for stuff.
I'll quit after this, but: that's not how the accounting works. If those grants aren't there, that staff isn't there in the first place.
I'll also quit after this, and we can take it to PM....my wife had multiple grants running when she was at the UMich poverty center. When the grants/expire or are lost, Umich would simply pick up the tab while they chased new grants. It was a perpetual cycle. And obviously, the staff, PhD students and Professors worked on more than just grant projects. So they do help take pressure off the General Fund. Opportunity cost, and all that.

Or maybe I misunderstood her, and I should STFU and stick to my tiny area of expertise, and defer to yours and OCanada's!

Good luck in the epic game coming tonight!!
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

An ADs number 1 job is to raise funds. If Baker can't raise enough funds for either men's and/or women's treams to take the necessary flights to away games/conference tournaments then she shouldn't be retained and/or fired.

That's her job. Make sure the teams are fully funded. Taking a plane and then buying back and the men's team taking a bus to Colimbus is javyee like.

Granted Hopkins shouldn't have ever joined the B1G and this is just another reason.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

How does this thread have more action than the syracuse forum which is quiet
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

a weekend of upsets. Army, Denver, Yale lost. Cuse got walloped away from home.

I predict Penn State vs Notre Dame as best teams in the end.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Very nice not to be on the bubble and to be able to sleep comfortably knowing that (1) there's another game at Homewood this year and (2) we won't have to play ND or Duke in the quarterfinals. We clearly have our problems on offense, but UVa and SU didn't look so great today, UMD looked like crap yesterday. Yale and Cornell both lost, possibly ending their seasons, and former No. 1 Army lost in OT, ending their season. Not so bad to be a Jays fan.
HopDonk

Post by HopDonk »

Fire Crawley
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopDonk wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:55 pmFire Crawley
which good offensive assistants are available?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:47 pm Very nice not to be on the bubble and to be able to sleep comfortably knowing that (1) there's another game at Homewood this year and (2) we won't have to play ND or Duke in the quarterfinals. We clearly have our problems on offense, but UVa and SU didn't look so great today, UMD looked like crap yesterday. Yale and Cornell both lost, possibly ending their seasons, and former No. 1 Army lost in OT, ending their season. Not so bad to be a Jays fan.
It's bittersweet. This team hasn't shown it can win it all (which requires offensive consistency against top tier opponents let alone weak ones). if this team draws Princeton or Michigan in the first round, they won't have to worry about the Quarterfinals.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”