Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by nyjay »

JHU is no worse than the #4 seed tomorrow. No one's seat is hot (or even warm) at this point. Yes, I would have liked to have seen more from the offense recently, but they're not even thinking of getting rid of Crawley (nor should they be, given that his contributions (recruiting) likely go beyond the offense itself). Especially given that this is likely a PM/Crawley offense as opposed to a JK defense (who is a assistant coach of the year candidate in my book).

We probably get two games we should win to make it Memorial Day. But random things happen in sports and so we may not. It's a been a great year and we're back where we belong. I want a lot more out of this year - this is the most talented team we're going to have for a few years, though that's probably true of most teams - but still willing to admit that no matter what happens the rest of the way, this year represents a big step forward.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

wow. what the hell is going on this season. PSU getting whacked.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:58 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:41 pm Michigan turns into a different team in the conference tournament. They’re taking it to PSU right now. Tough to play as a team with a bid locked up against a team with their backs against the wall.

St. Joe’s or Towson will not be an easy first round opponent by any stretch, but hoping we get another crack at Denver in a potential quarterfinal.
PSU just needs to dodge harder. You know, be invasive.
Big guys need to be more aggressive!!!!!
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I guess Hopkins remains a top 3 team in the polls. Meh. A paper tiger.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:17 pm I guess Hopkins remains a top 3 team in the polls. Meh. A paper tiger.
Are they? It’s pretty clear that Notre Dame is in a class by itself, and everyone else has been inconsistent. We certainly fared better against Michigan than PSU is currently. This team can still make a Final Four (or better).
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:14 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:58 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:41 pm Michigan turns into a different team in the conference tournament. They’re taking it to PSU right now. Tough to play as a team with a bid locked up against a team with their backs against the wall.

St. Joe’s or Towson will not be an easy first round opponent by any stretch, but hoping we get another crack at Denver in a potential quarterfinal.
PSU just needs to dodge harder. You know, be invasive.
Big guys need to be more aggressive!!!!!
They do. And you know it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:21 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:17 pm I guess Hopkins remains a top 3 team in the polls. Meh. A paper tiger.
Are they? It’s pretty clear that Notre Dame is in a class by itself, and everyone else has been inconsistent. We certainly fared better against Michigan than PSU is currently. This team can still make a Final Four (or better).
I think we Hopkins fans should be more concerned about the Blue Jays winning at home next week.

I have stated my opinion more than once that Hopkins has the talent to win (not just compete for) a national championship.

But that’s not how they are playing now. The offense has serious problems. They are definitely fixable.

If Crawley and PM double down on the status quo, Hopkins will be vulnerable to a first round upset.

Last couple of games, Blue Jays have been a top 10-15 team … no better than that. The D has been excellent, but the D alone won’t carry this team very far.

Again, the issues are very fixable.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:12 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:21 pm
I think we Hopkins fans should be more concerned about the Blue Jays winning at home next week.

I have stated my opinion more than once that Hopkins has the talent to win (not just compete for) a national championship.

But that’s not how they are playing now. The offense has serious problems. They are definitely fixable.

If Crawley and PM double down on the status quo, Hopkins will be vulnerable to a first round upset.

Last couple of games, Blue Jays have been a top 10-15 team … no better than that. The D has been excellent, but the D alone won’t carry this team very far.

Again, the issues are very fixable.

DocBarrister
Apply a zone defense and watch them disappear for stretches at a time.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I take 36 hours off this forum and we're firing coaches and wondering how cancer research funds can be redirected to get the team airplane tickets.

No one cares but they now beat 3 conference tournament champions-and 2 towson/georgetown came early. The program was prepared from the get go. If it struggled we would've heard the "PM came from the Ivy so wasn't ready to win early". Probably from me-and quint.

Not to sound like hf16 but the regular season was a big success. PM has now beaten every rival on the schedule. They had the biggest crowd in 20 years and the biggest in d1 this year (which cuse cares about more), won at osu for the first time in 20 years, uva in 10 years, beat the terps at home for the first time in 10 years, picked up the regular season trophy/crab/doyle cup. Not bad for a team that won 4 games total 3 years ago, couldn't stop anything, and had crowds smaller than d level in a final exam reading period. This program desperately needed this kind of regular season in the worst way and got it.

Crawley is still a 2nd year hop coordinator. Period. He was going to take his licks. It's not an excuse, but he and Jameson got worked in the 6 on 6 as the game went on thursday night. Terribly disappointing, but they've shown more promise this season than grant jr/petro/benson/dwan did in their offices the previous decade+. At the end of the day this is probably one of the most veteran teams Hopkins is ever going to field. The players have to make the plays.

We've been with this angelus/degnon/grimes/peshko offense for so long it's hard to really know what more they can try to really make it better. It looks like they switched up man up mid way through the season creating more looks inside. Bauer does not seem as confident as he's been in the past especially shooting. Ayers and Chauvette seem to defer to the much older guys on offense and Collison plays big at the beginning and end but in the middle seems to really go quiet. It's still an improvement over cole williams/deso/epstein/forry/zinn.

I don't know the fundraising situation. I always believe about 40 percent of what I read here thinking stuff gets mentioned because there's some belief it's real. I would be shocked if we ever got anything from the big ten because they don't want to set a precedent with other affiliate schools. Given how much $ they've made off adding the dc market with maryland which hopkins was a part of I would've thought there would be some stipend.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

I'm sure we can fundraise for this team to have plane rides if they show they can win and go deep. Winning cures all. I'd personally give a lot.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:41 pm I'm sure we can fundraise for this team to have plane rides if they show they can win and go deep. Winning cures all. I'd personally give a lot.
They got Bloomberg to pay some attention to athletics.

Heck, MB paid for the expensive brick pavers around Homewood two decades ago. Maybe he’ll drop a dime (aka, a few tens of millions) on the athletic program.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:56 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:41 pm I'm sure we can fundraise for this team to have plane rides if they show they can win and go deep. Winning cures all. I'd personally give a lot.
They got Bloomberg to pay some attention to athletics.

Heck, MB paid for the expensive brick pavers around Homewood two decades ago. Maybe he’ll drop a dime (aka, a few tens of millions) on the athletic program.

DocBarrister
Won't be surprised if Whiting school is renamed to bloomberg when it's all said and done. There are bloomberg buildings, professorships, programs on every campus of Hopkins
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hopkins now with wins against RPI #s 5, 7, 8, 9, 14, and 16.

Losses against RPI #s 4, 6, 14, and 30.

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd

Excellent resume. Now, if only their current quality of play on offense can match it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:31 pm I take 36 hours off this forum and we're firing coaches and wondering how cancer research funds can be redirected to get the team airplane tickets.

No one cares but they now beat 3 conference tournament champions-and 2 towson/georgetown came early. The program was prepared from the get go. If it struggled we would've heard the "PM came from the Ivy so wasn't ready to win early". Probably from me-and quint.

Not to sound like hf16 but the regular season was a big success. PM has now beaten every rival on the schedule. They had the biggest crowd in 20 years and the biggest in d1 this year (which cuse cares about more), won at osu for the first time in 20 years, uva in 10 years, beat the terps at home for the first time in 10 years, picked up the regular season trophy/crab/doyle cup. Not bad for a team that won 4 games total 3 years ago, couldn't stop anything, and had crowds smaller than d level in a final exam reading period. This program desperately needed this kind of regular season in the worst way and got it.

Crawley is still a 2nd year hop coordinator. Period. He was going to take his licks. It's not an excuse, but he and Jameson got worked in the 6 on 6 as the game went on thursday night. Terribly disappointing, but they've shown more promise this season than grant jr/petro/benson/dwan did in their offices the previous decade+. At the end of the day this is probably one of the most veteran teams Hopkins is ever going to field. The players have to make the plays.

We've been with this angelus/degnon/grimes/peshko offense for so long it's hard to really know what more they can try to really make it better. It looks like they switched up man up mid way through the season creating more looks inside. Bauer does not seem as confident as he's been in the past especially shooting. Ayers and Chauvette seem to defer to the much older guys on offense and Collison plays big at the beginning and end but in the middle seems to really go quiet. It's still an improvement over cole williams/deso/epstein/forry/zinn.

I don't know the fundraising situation. I always believe about 40 percent of what I read here thinking stuff gets mentioned because there's some belief it's real. I would be shocked if we ever got anything from the big ten because they don't want to set a precedent with other affiliate schools. Given how much $ they've made off adding the dc market with maryland which hopkins was a part of I would've thought there would be some stipend.
Okay. Who stole 06s account.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

steel_hop wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:31 pm I take 36 hours off this forum and we're firing coaches and wondering how cancer research funds can be redirected to get the team airplane tickets.

WOMBAT
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:29 pm
steel_hop wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 pm

WOMBAT
The Wombat conspiracy theories continue to proliferate.

:shock: :o

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

3 seed. A major accomplishment for the program and reflection of the outstanding overall regular season, the most recent game notwithstanding.

That said, with Denver at the 5, I'd rather be Cuse at the 4 with a potential QF matchup with the Pios. We would get 6 seed UVA. Don't think you'll see many Cuse fans complaining about that. Everybody wanted the Denver QF matchup.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

No Towson (which is fine with me). Maybe Lehigh?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 pm No Towson (which is fine with me). Maybe Lehigh?
Lehigh it is.

Good team, but the Jays need to make a statement.

Interesting narrative with Crawley coaching against his old guys.

Jays play Sunday at noon, winner gets UVA/St. Joes — that team will have an extra day of rest as they play Saturday. Kind of weird to reward the lower seed with more rest but whatever
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 pm No Towson (which is fine with me). Maybe Lehigh?
Lehigh it is.

Good team, but the Jays need to make a statement.

Interesting narrative with Crawley coaching against his old guys.

Jays play Sunday at noon, winner gets UVA/St. Joes — that team will have an extra day of rest as they play Saturday. Kind of weird to reward the lower seed with more rest but whatever
Lehigh is a good team, but I prefer Lehigh to Towson or St. Joe’s.

I’m hoping St. Joe’s can take out Virginia. Either team would be a tough out, but it’s always challenging to beat an excellent team twice.

Lehigh is probably the best matchup Hopkins could have hoped for. Blue Jays need to ramp up their offense. Most of the teams in the tournament can really light things up.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”