Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: The “Minimally Invasive” Offense Has to Go

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 am As I have stated before, I think the Big Guys (Collison, Peshko, and Grimes) need to be more aggressive in their dodging. Right now, opponents are perfectly content putting a SSDM on the Big Guys. That really needs to change. If Collison and Peshko can force opponents to put a longpole on them (or do so more frequently), that will allow some of our speedsters like Melendez, Bauer, Ayers, and Evans to dodge against a shortstick.

As things stand, Collison, Peshko, and Grimes are too passive against their shortsticks and Melendez and Bauer have to dodge against longpoles.

If the Big Guys can demand more attention from opponents, maybe even drawing a longpole and more slides, that will open the O for teammates like Bauer, Melendez, and Ayers.
You are what the kids would call "a non ball knower." This is rudimentary armchair analysis that misses what's actually happening on the field. Teams are not defending Collison the same way they are other guys.

Maryland was covering Collison with a shortie because they were sliding to him immediately. It's actually a sign of respect, not the other way around. They don't need to waste putting a pole on him when they're basically covering him with two people. There is always a guy ready to support that matchup when Collie gets a step, as he does often. And credit to Maryland for being able to recover quickly behind it. That's good defense. That is something Virginia should have done against us, but didn't. THEY left their shorties on an island against him and you saw what happened.

"If the Big Guys can demand more attention from opponents" — man I've got no idea what you're watching. If you don't think Collison is demanding attention when the ball's in his stick, you're asleep. Look at Degnon's second goal. Collison dodges the shortie from up top, the shortie gives him his right and feeds him down directly into the waiting slide. He has nowhere to go. Luckily for us the guy showing sagged too far in, leaving Degnon open from up top and Collie does a good job getting it to him quickly. If there is an element of his game he needs to develop it's not "dodging harder," it's THAT. Passing out of doubles, moving it quicker when defenses hedge to him, that can take his game from 3rd to 1st team All-American once he develops it consistently. Telling him to be "more aggressive" against the defense Maryland was using is a recipe for turnovers. That's what they want you to do.
fordmaddoxford

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by fordmaddoxford »

That should be well received.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Thank you '16 - somebdy is watching the games. Yes - the offense needs to improve to play and win on MDW - but it's questionable that it will. It is so much more involved than just 3 guys potentially dodging on shortsticks. Here are the real issues or inputs IMO
- First and foremost - this is what Hopkins WANTS to do - or maybe better put FEELS like they NEED to do. They take 38 shots per game - in the last 3 games against better defenses and 2 AA goalies they have taken 34/36 and 30 shots. You shoot 30 some odd times per game - have a reasonable shot percentage in the low 30ish range - guess what? You are going to score 10-11-12 goals per game. QK says minimally invasive - PM/JC/JK - again IMO - probably think - shorten the game/don't really want 35+ face-offs/if my defense gets adequate rest during the game I like my chances.
- Second - as '16 pointed out dodging on a shortstick - particularly some of the shortsticks Penn State/Ohio State/Maryland have - is not an automatic recipe for success - they are often the strongest or amongst the strongest players on the team - they're faster and quicker usually than their long stick brethern many times and as long as they are not outweighed by 30-40 lbs they can be very effective against mid-fielders even bigger taller ones. Even Schutz only has 20 goals - I say only - but the point is made. Then of course if a player like a Schutz or Collison get a shortie match-up - it is immediately supported
- Third - As the combined 16 assists between the three of them demonstrates - the three Hopkins big mid-fielders are not exceptional passers. They are very unselfish - Grimes and Peshko have done a wonderful job reducing turnovers. They combined for 41 last year - right now they are at 15. That's a couple extra possessions per game that the defense rests and some time comes off the clock which helps tire the opponents defense. But when they dodge - they dodge to score and everyone knows it.
- Fourth - injuries or whatever - have unquestionably hurt dodging ability. If you were going to identify the two most dangerous dodgers on the team to both score and produce slides creating openings English and Melendez would be at the top of the list. I am not trying to call him out - I want him on the team - but one simply can't ignore the numbers 53 and 21 which are Melendez's respective point totals from '23 to this point in 24. On a per game average for 13 games he was at 40 points through 13 games in '23 so his drop off is pretty much half. He has started every game this year - his shot percentage is off by 14 percentage points (a drop of 36%). This is the 800 lb gorilla with respect to the offense. If you look at almost every team you would craft a national championship argument for - no team outside the BIG 10 and the BIG East (Denver really does it by Committee) has a point line for the starting attack of 55/44/21 - the closest you can come is Notre Dame's 49/47/32 - and they have played 3 fewer games and Taylor's 32 is comprised of 29 goals so it's pretty easy to identify his job. The only other 2 attackmen in the compound of the Duke/Syracuse/Yale/Cornell/UVA etc. where a starting attackman is in the less than 40 point level is Yale where the designated goal scorer is at 35 and 3 for 38 and the Cornell freshman is at 33 points.
- If anyone thinks hoisting the Gold trophy on MD depends on Collison/Peshko and Grimes suddenly become dodging monsters they will be incrediby disappointed. Defense/goaltending and timely shooting is what you got - that's alot - might not be enough
DocBarrister

Re: The “Minimally Invasive” Offense Has to Go

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 am As I have stated before, I think the Big Guys (Collison, Peshko, and Grimes) need to be more aggressive in their dodging. Right now, opponents are perfectly content putting a SSDM on the Big Guys. That really needs to change. If Collison and Peshko can force opponents to put a longpole on them (or do so more frequently), that will allow some of our speedsters like Melendez, Bauer, Ayers, and Evans to dodge against a shortstick.

As things stand, Collison, Peshko, and Grimes are too passive against their shortsticks and Melendez and Bauer have to dodge against longpoles.

If the Big Guys can demand more attention from opponents, maybe even drawing a longpole and more slides, that will open the O for teammates like Bauer, Melendez, and Ayers.
You are what the kids would call "a non ball knower." This is rudimentary armchair analysis that misses what's actually happening on the field. Teams are not defending Collison the same way they are other guys.

Maryland was covering Collison with a shortie because they were sliding to him immediately. It's actually a sign of respect, not the other way around. They don't need to waste putting a pole on him when they're basically covering him with two people. There is always a guy ready to support that matchup when Collie gets a step, as he does often. And credit to Maryland for being able to recover quickly behind it. That's good defense. That is something Virginia should have done against us, but didn't. THEY left their shorties on an island against him and you saw what happened.

"If the Big Guys can demand more attention from opponents" — man I've got no idea what you're watching. If you don't think Collison is demanding attention when the ball's in his stick, you're asleep. Look at Degnon's second goal. Collison dodges the shortie from up top, the shortie gives him his right and feeds him down directly into the waiting slide. He has nowhere to go. Luckily for us the guy showing sagged too far in, leaving Degnon open from up top and Collie does a good job getting it to him quickly. If there is an element of his game he needs to develop it's not "dodging harder," it's THAT. Passing out of doubles, moving it quicker when defenses hedge to him, that can take his game from 3rd to 1st team All-American once he develops it consistently. Telling him to be "more aggressive" against the defense Maryland was using is a recipe for turnovers. That's what they want you to do.
That’s the thing … to take advantage of that situation, Collison HAS TO DODGE and FORCE THEM TO SLIDE. If Collison isn’t dodging, then Maryland is effectively defending Collison with just a single SSDM.

It all leads back to the same issue … Collison, Peshko, and Grimes need to dodge more aggressively, more often.

What you have described leads back to the same necessary solution.

The Big Guys need to draw more of the opposing D’s attention and efforts … that requires more aggressive dodging.

As I stated in my post, that helps free things up for the other guys on O.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

norcalhop wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am Ierlan might be a 1st team all american
Who wants to chip in to fund the Gianfacaro NIL? I'm good for $20.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am Who wants to chip in to fund the Gianfacaro NIL? I'm good for $20.
LOL - I'm thinking immediate funds need to buy Melendez some Ozempic
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... itle/63163

Great story from IL on Szuluk, Smith and a few others stepping up as leaders.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am
norcalhop wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:29 am Ierlan might be a 1st team all american
:D
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Re: the offense, it's about winning lacrosse games. Hopkins has the best 6v6 defense in the country. Crawley's scheme, which is to maximize ball and player movement to exploit matchups, extend possession, get high-quality shots, minimizing dodges that risk turnovers and taking bad shots (effectively turnovers) is a very good match for our defense and gives Hopkins a very good chance to beat any team in the country. Bottom line: if Hopkins makes it a 6v6 game, they win. If the offense turns the ball over and takes bad shots early in possessions, creating transition goals for the opponent and wearing down the defense, they may not. This weekend's game was a case in point. Maryland had no chance scoring in settled play against a D that got plenty of rest due to long offensive possessions (BTW, gving up one 6v6 goal ito a top 10 team in the shot clock era is an insane stat). If McNaney doesn't play his best game of the season, its not close.

Don't expect anythng to change now 14 weeks into the season. Winning is fine with me.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's an interesting question. I haven't heard anything, but it would seem like the Jays make sense on paper but will be competing with a few other teams (if the decision isn't made already, it very well may be but is being kept quiet for obvious reasons).

Duke (Jameison), Virginia (Nunes), Maryland (McNaney), Penn State (Fracyon), Rutgers (Stoller), and Georgetown (Moore) are all set at goalie next year. Does that mean none of them would kick the tires on Mike G.? Not necessarily. He's that good, you probably have to do your due diligence. But I do think it's unlikely he ends up at any of those places.

The contenders would appear to be us, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. Cuse loses Mark — they have some younger guys their fans are excited about but I don't think that stops Gait from pursuing. Obviously they managed to get the two Princeton middies this year and have a large Culver presence so they will likely be in the mix. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, they always seem to bring in a key transfer or two and they will have a glaring hole at the position with the graduation of Entenmann. Then there is us — perhaps Gianforcaro will see how well we've integrated another Ivy goalie into the group this year and see it as a good opportunity. No idea what his career ambitions are, that's always a major factor that you can't really control.

There's also UNC and Michigan — you should never be shocked if a guy elects to take a grad year at either of those schools, though if winning is a priority then one of the others above seems more likely.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:37 pm The contenders would appear to be us, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. Cuse loses Mark — they have some younger guys their fans are excited about but I don't think that stops Gait from pursuing. Obviously they managed to get the two Princeton middies this year and have a large Culver presence so they will likely be in the mix. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, they always seem to bring in a key transfer or two and they will have a glaring hole at the position with the graduation of Entenmann. Then there is us — perhaps Gianforcaro will see how well we've integrated another Ivy goalie into the group this year and see it as a good opportunity. No idea what his career ambitions are, that's always a major factor that you can't really control.

There's also UNC and Michigan — you should never be shocked if a guy elects to take a grad year at either of those schools, though if winning is a priority then one of the others above seems more likely.
Culver notwithstanding, I think he's a DE/Southeastern PA guy, so maybe playing near home would be appealing to him - and at least his uncle went to Hop. I can't say enough how great it's been having Irelan in goal. Don't know how many wins he's been worth this year, but it's definitely more than zero. Good goaltending makes such an enormous difference.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:37 pm
It's an interesting question. I haven't heard anything, but it would seem like the Jays make sense on paper but will be competing with a few other teams (if the decision isn't made already, it very well may be but is being kept quiet for obvious reasons).

Duke (Jameison), Virginia (Nunes), Maryland (McNaney), Penn State (Fracyon), Rutgers (Stoller), and Georgetown (Moore) are all set at goalie next year. Does that mean none of them would kick the tires on Mike G.? Not necessarily. He's that good, you probably have to do your due diligence. But I do think it's unlikely he ends up at any of those places.

The contenders would appear to be us, Syracuse, and Notre Dame. Cuse loses Mark — they have some younger guys their fans are excited about but I don't think that stops Gait from pursuing. Obviously they managed to get the two Princeton middies this year and have a large Culver presence so they will likely be in the mix. Notre Dame is Notre Dame, they always seem to bring in a key transfer or two and they will have a glaring hole at the position with the graduation of Entenmann. Then there is us — perhaps Gianforcaro will see how well we've integrated another Ivy goalie into the group this year and see it as a good opportunity. No idea what his career ambitions are, that's always a major factor that you can't really control.

Looks like he's going into Investment Banking Analyst according to his LinkedIn.

Outside of all the schools listed with returning goalies, Michigan's business program is top notch. Maybe Pederson and Roberts have had a good enough time in Ann Arbor to put in the good word to Gianforcaro... UM's goalie is only a soph and does well. But maybe the Wolverines will be out shopping.

I'd imagine UNC would also be out shopping. Had success with PU transfer middie McCarthy a couple years ago. Maybe they could pull him?

If I had to put money on it though, I bet he goes with ND.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:25 pm Re: the offense, it's about winning lacrosse games. Hopkins has the best 6v6 defense in the country. Crawley's scheme, which is to maximize ball and player movement to exploit matchups, extend possession, get high-quality shots, minimizing dodges that risk turnovers and taking bad shots (effectively turnovers) is a very good match for our defense and gives Hopkins a very good chance to beat any team in the country. Bottom line: if Hopkins makes it a 6v6 game, they win. If the offense turns the ball over and takes bad shots early in possessions, creating transition goals for the opponent and wearing down the defense, they may not. This weekend's game was a case in point. Maryland had no chance scoring in settled play against a D that got plenty of rest due to long offensive possessions (BTW, gving up one 6v6 goal ito a top 10 team in the shot clock era is an insane stat). If McNaney doesn't play his best game of the season, its not close.

Don't expect anythng to change now 14 weeks into the season. Winning is fine with me.
I’m pleased that you’re satisfied with 7 goals and 15 turnovers (a fair number of them shot clock violations).

What hope does ND, Duke, UVA, and Syracuse have against the juggernaut offense we saw this Saturday?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The Jays are 8th in the country in turnovers per game. 15 TOs isn't bad in the shot clock era. That's better than the vast majority of teams' season averages. It was only about one above the Jays' season average of 13.9. The only tournament team with a better mark (barely) is Notre Dame at 13.6.

Doc, I think you should send an email to the staff saying Collison should dodge more. They will appreciate the insight.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:25 pm Re: the offense, it's about winning lacrosse games. Hopkins has the best 6v6 defense in the country. Crawley's scheme, which is to maximize ball and player movement to exploit matchups, extend possession, get high-quality shots, minimizing dodges that risk turnovers and taking bad shots (effectively turnovers) is a very good match for our defense and gives Hopkins a very good chance to beat any team in the country. Bottom line: if Hopkins makes it a 6v6 game, they win. If the offense turns the ball over and takes bad shots early in possessions, creating transition goals for the opponent and wearing down the defense, they may not. This weekend's game was a case in point. Maryland had no chance scoring in settled play against a D that got plenty of rest due to long offensive possessions (BTW, gving up one 6v6 goal ito a top 10 team in the shot clock era is an insane stat). If McNaney doesn't play his best game of the season, its not close.

I’m pleased that you’re satisfied with 7 goals and 15 turnovers (a fair number of them shot clock violations).

What hope does ND, Duke, UVA, and Syracuse have against the juggernaut offense we saw this Saturday?

You know maybe, just maybe, MD has an elite defense which had something to do with the goal total. Also, maybe, just maybe, the fact the Hop was ahead the whole game caused them to play a little slower in the second half. Last I checked Hop scored 16 on UVA and 13 on Cuse(on only about 27 possessions if I recall). You're ignoring the difference in matchups and the fact that almost every B1G game has been a low scoring slugfest.
a fan

Post by a fan »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:25 pm. Bottom line: if Hopkins makes it a 6v6 game, they win. If the offense turns the ball over and takes bad shots early in possessions, creating transition goals for the opponent and wearing down the defense, they may not.
That’s Hopkins lacrosse, always has been. I think fans for this style should be happy with Milliman and his crew.

Which leads to my question: will you folks feel this is a successful season if Hop misses the Final Four? Just curious.

As a Syracuse fan, I think the Orange could lose in the first round, or win the whole thing. Have no clue, but I’ve really enjoyed their play again, just curious if you all felt the same way about Hopkins .
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm

The same Duke juggernaut that put up 4 versus "Cuse? The same Virginia that we beat this year already? The same "Cuse team where we had our best offensive game of the year (in a rare off night for the D? Those teams?

I'm satisfied by wins. I'm not interested in being some Ivy team losing games by 21-19 scores.
primitiveskills

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:51 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:25 pm. Bottom line: if Hopkins makes it a 6v6 game, they win. If the offense turns the ball over and takes bad shots early in possessions, creating transition goals for the opponent and wearing down the defense, they may not.
That’s Hopkins lacrosse, always has been. I think fans for this style should be happy with Milliman and his crew.

Which leads to my question: will you folks feel this is a successful season if Hop misses the Final Four? Just curious.

As a Syracuse fan, I think the Orange could lose in the first round, or win the whole thing. Have no clue, but I’ve really enjoyed their play again, just curious if you all felt the same way about Hopkins .
The trajectory is very much positive and it appears there is reason to believe there should be sustained success. That said, not makng Memorial Day would be a disappointment. But there's so many good teams and so much parity this year, anything can happen in the tournament. With the end of the "COVID years" this year, next year will be a reset for a bunch of teams. Will be interesting to see what happens. If anything, I'd feel pretty good as a 'Cuse fan about next year's reset.
a fan

Post by a fan »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

The trajectory is very much positive and it appears there is reason to believe there should be sustained success. That said, not makng Memorial Day would be a disappointment. But there's so many good teams and so much parity this year, anything can happen in the tournament. With the end of the "COVID years" this year, next year will be a reset for a bunch of teams. Will be interesting to see what happens. If anything, I'd feel pretty good as a 'Cuse fan about next year's reset.
I really think your “anything could happen” might be the new normal. And man, that’s so difficult as a fan, when your team is on a good trajectory, and can’t get it done . I think a packed Homewood vs. Maryland was a good sign for your program. Best of luck this May, and thanks for answering,
primitiveskills

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

I really think your “anything could happen” might be the new normal. And man, that’s so difficult as a fan, when your team is on a good trajectory, and can’t get it done . I think a packed Homewood vs. Maryland was a good sign for your program. Best of luck this May, and thanks for answering,
Best of luck as well. Reasons to feel good about things at Syracuse and Hopkins. Just as it should be!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”