Post by a fan »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:01 am
a fan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:58 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:20 am
a fan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:49 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:34 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:26 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:11 pm
Road wins in this conference do not come easy. Nice step forward to get back on track, but lots more to do. Onto Michigan.
....you guys have the biggest glass-half empty fans (or trolls posing as fans) in the sport. Your guys beat a BigTen team on their field by five, and they still find ways to throw stones.

All I can figure is that they're only watching Hop games, and not noticing that every top 20 team is fighting to get wins.

You're nuts if you think Hopkins can't make the Final Four. Who gets hot in May, is what it will come down to....and if you don't bring your A game in the Tournament, expect to be sent home.
I'm watching UVa and they sure aren't struggling to get wins. Their one loss was against Hopkins, which was without UVa's top FO.
Hoping you have a good enough sense of humor to chuckle at your above response.....
Outside of Hopkins, have they had a close game? Have they had a let down since Hopkins despite tough opponents? Have any of their games been close since then?

No.

How about Hopkins since the UVa game? Can Hopkins make the final four with their talent? It's a questionable maybe at this stage. If they play like they did against Rutgers or Navy versus top competition, then no.

We're all waiting for Melendez to return to the form he had against UMD last year where he took his defender to the rack multiple times.
So you don't have enough of a sense of humor to understand that telling us that you think Hopkins is a mess, while UVa isn't...when Hopkins beat UVa....isn't just a *little* funny?

I understand...we all do...that UVa would be favored in a rematch. But there's no reason to give up on Hopkins winning it all, or assume that UVa or any other team is going to sail through the NCAA Tournament with no trouble.

These D1 teams are closer in talent than they have ever been. Anyone who assumes otherwise, and brings their B game in the NCAA's better get ready to get sent home early. This is March. There's SO much more lacrosse to be played before May.
Agreed - there's still a chance for Hopkins if they improve meaningfully down the stretch. And yes, the field is as wide open as I've seen in many years without a truly dominant 2-3 teams that are head and shoulders above all others. This will be an exciting year. I could see Penn State, Army, UVa, Cuse, Duke, Notre Dame, Hopkins, amongst a slew of other teams winning it all this year.
Hoping Army gets in there. How fun would it be to see a repeat Navy's run back in 2002? As a Syracuse fan, that game was the only time I've ever rooted for Syracuse's opponent. Would have honestly been happy to see Navy win that game....what a great team, made all the more special because we all knew perfectly well that many (most?) of those kids would be deployed to a combat zone after that game.
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

The UVA win kinda did more harm than good for the mental health of some folks around these parts in that it raised expectations and the perceived floor of acceptable play back above a level it really shouldn't be at still just yet. The loss to Navy was Ugly. The two together should really just give points in understanding the highs and lows that this group can and will have.

About all you can count on right now offensively is Degnon will find a way to get you 2 or 3 goals. Rain, shine, or biblical apocalypse he'll put at least couple in assisted or not. Beyond that you're left with a bunch of question marks and when those question marks have good days together and things are really clicking the gang will hang with the UVAs of the world. When basically none of them show up to the field that day the boys are going to be on the wrong end of the score board to a middling opponent.
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

Russell Melendov not well not play.. he need to go to Siberia to work on ground ball and shoot but pass no need for Siberia
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm Another pair of babbling idiots ala Q the K.
Who are these guys ? Try talking about the game !
I like Dixon. He does a good job of providing information and being excited for the game. I did enjoy the play by play guy talking all about Dixon's playing time at Hopkins. I think Dixon let that slide given he played about as much as I did at Hopkins and I wasn't on the team. This isn't a knock on Dixon at all, those teams were legitimately awesome.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:58 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm Another pair of babbling idiots ala Q the K.
Who are these guys ? Try talking about the game !
I like Dixon. He does a good job of providing information and being excited for the game. I did enjoy the play by play guy talking all about Dixon's playing time at Hopkins. I think Dixon let that slide given he played about as much as I did at Hopkins and I wasn't on the team. This isn't a knock on Dixon at all, those teams were legitimately awesome.
-Dixon has had the same exact broadcast for years. It's like clockwork.
-Phillips has long had his supporters here. He has never really showed anything. I'd give his spot to Ayers.
-Jaronski also had some brutal turnovers on clears like last week.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:42 pm Phillips has long had his supporters here. He has never really showed anything. I'd give his spot to Ayers.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. I know I teased my guy fla.. about repeating a comment he had been told - now a long time ago - that Phillips was having a great fall/spring practice when he was a freshmen - but that was really it - I don't recall many pining for Phillips other than to say he has great CA box numbers on occasion. You can understand why PM and JC are trying to get something out of Phillips as aside from Callahan the class of 2025 is so lost they might find Bigfoot. Kaufman appeared in 13 games last year - scored 2 goals - including the 1-0 goal against Notre Dame in the quarters and he has appeared in 2 games this year. The highest rated recruit from that class - Todaro - might have a permanent bed in the Hopkins student health center. Put it this way - aside from the 44 ground balls 3 shots 2 turnovers and 1 caused turnover for Callahan here is the entirety of the junior class stats for Johns Hopkins - as CBB pointed out the stats aren't great for accuracy as Phillips is credited with 1 shot and we know he took 2 against Rutgers and 1 was on goal so I am going to include those 2:
3 shots - 1 SOG - 1 turnover - 1 player appeared in 8 games - 1 player appeared in 2 - 1 player appeared in 1 - Oh Webb has 3 saves in 4 minutes
So there is now an entire class that has the potential to NOT score a goal

This was of course affected dramatically by the events of 2020 and I think it is hard to hold the current staff that accountable - I know there is a narrative that Pete came in with some tough love but I think many of those decommits/recommits occurred before Milliman could unleash his wrath.

So looking ahead to 2025 with still much to accomplish this year - the big issue looming is you often look to the senior class for leadership - well if exactly 1 of them is playing and only in a specialty role then that's a concern. Melendez and Smith could possibly return to fill some of that void but I am not surprised to see creativity applied to Phillips. As I already said easy for us to criticize when you are standing there - never absolutely knowing IF you'll play but if you play it will be for a brief moment and noticeable if it doesn't work. Still , that's the nature of the beast and when you have a bunny lay-up - at least get stoned by the goalie - don't miss the cage by relative miles.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Michigan
1 in conference in
CTs, Assists per game, faceoff winning percentage, man up offense

Last in
Scoring D Saves and Clearing percentage

Hop has faced national ranking
1,5,9, 13, 17, 26 (uva)
with
10 Michigan
12 Maryland
11 OSU still to come in faceoffs.

Callahan/Dunn and company are going to have a ton to say about the direction of this team this season. I thought the unit that would matter the most would be the production from the senior midfielders but it might be them now.

Edit fwiw Hopkins is 40th and Penn State is 49th.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Phillips on EMO was absolutely the right idea for the reasons 51 outlined but we're now 9 games in with no results and after Rutgers it feels totally fair to say "give someone else a shot."

On paper, the list of seniors who may have another year of eligibility left is actually pretty long. I'm not sure about every individual circumstance but it would appear likely that at least a few of the following guys will be back next year: Smith (played in 2 games in 2021), Bauer (didn't play in 2021), Deans (didn't play in 2022), Melendez (played in 3 games in 2022 at Marquette), Raposo (played in 4 games in 2021), C. Chauvette (didn't play in 2021), Arteaga (didn't play in 2021 OR 2022), and Evans (didn't play in 2021). Ince could have another year but I don't believe he's returning.

Long story short maybe you close your eyes and pretend some of those guys are part of the junior class, and then suddenly that class' contributions (or lack thereof) don't seem as conspicuous. If some combo of Smith/Bauer/Deans/Melendez/etc. is back next year then that should mitigate the potential leadership/experience issue to an extent. And then of course there could be more transfers.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm Phillips on EMO was absolutely the right idea for the reasons 51 outlined but we're now 9 games in with no results and after Rutgers it feels totally fair to say "give someone else a shot."

On paper, the list of seniors who may have another year of eligibility left is actually pretty long. I'm not sure about every individual circumstance but it would appear likely that at least a few of the following guys will be back next year: Smith (played in 2 games in 2021), Bauer (didn't play in 2021), Deans (didn't play in 2022), Melendez (played in 3 games in 2022 at Marquette), Raposo (played in 4 games in 2021), C. Chauvette (didn't play in 2021), Arteaga (didn't play in 2021 OR 2022), and Evans (didn't play in 2021). Ince could have another year but I don't believe he's returning.

Long story short maybe you close your eyes and pretend some of those guys are part of the junior class, and then suddenly that class' contributions (or lack thereof) don't seem as conspicuous. If some combo of Smith/Bauer/Deans/Melendez/etc. is back next year then that should mitigate the potential leadership/experience issue to an extent. And then of course there could be more transfers.
Next summer feels like a biblical portal year. Too much is going to be lost to graduation and you don't want to waste the last of collision on a full rebuild which is what is coming.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:08 pm Michigan
1 in conference in
CTs, Assists per game, faceoff winning percentage, man up offense

Last in
Scoring D Saves and Clearing percentage

Hop has faced national ranking
1,5,9, 13, 17, 26 (uva)
with
10 Michigan
12 Maryland
11 OSU still to come in faceoffs.

Callahan/Dunn and company are going to have a ton to say about the direction of this team this season. I thought the unit that would matter the most would be the production from the senior midfielders but it might be them now.

Edit fwiw Hopkins is 40th and Penn State is 49th.
Some relevant thoughts here but if OOC ganes count towards this - you do have to account for the 59 goals scored by Michigan on Canisius/Hobart and Marquette - a combined 9-17 I believe. By contrast Hopkins has only 1 opponent so far with a losing record a pretty surprising Loyola,
Face-offs are an issue - no question - 37% last year up in Ann Arbor. How did Hopkins win then? 20 Michigan turnovers - 7 failed clears and only allowing 32 shots - 18 on goal - I don't remember the game in great detail - except for the Hopkins goalie change - but the close D must have played well. Boehm was held to 2 assists and the Michigan starters aside from Zawanda scored 4 goals. On the other side of the field - Melendez/Grimes and Degnon scored more than the Michigan team. SO if you start from with a 40% or worse handle on face-offs you are going to need the following:
- Another good game from Chayse
- A solid performance from the 6v6 defense
- Turnovers and clearing - still maybe some Wolverine troubles there - wouldn't hurt
- An efficient offense - last year Hopkins shot percentage was 35% and 65% of their SOGs hit the back of the net

This game is so needed
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:08 pm Next summer feels like a biblical portal year. Too much is going to be lost to graduation and you don't want to waste the last of collision on a full rebuild which is what is coming.
I think you will be sorely disappointed. You have the last drips and drabs from the Ivies cancelling two seasons and teams working through overly bloated rosters where some freshmen maybe didn't get to play - so the Princeton goalie would appear to be the bell cow and if he is playing another year I am sure Hopkins will inquire as to whether there is a fit there. Most guys are going to use up their 4 years of eligibility at their current school - Zawanda for example - would not be at Duke if not for the 20 season cancelled - we wouldn't have had Mazzone or Chayse etc etc.

Lacrosse is not like football or basketball where players are trying to get noticed for something called the NFL or NBA.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:08 pm Next summer feels like a biblical portal year. Too much is going to be lost to graduation and you don't want to waste the last of collision on a full rebuild which is what is coming.
I think you will be sorely disappointed. You have the last drips and drabs from the Ivies cancelling two seasons and teams working through overly bloated rosters where some freshmen maybe didn't get to play - so the Princeton goalie would appear to be the bell cow and if he is playing another year I am sure Hopkins will inquire as to whether there is a fit there. Most guys are going to use up their 4 years of eligibility at their current school - Zawanda for example - would not be at Duke if not for the 20 season cancelled - we wouldn't have had Mazzone or Chayse etc etc.

Lacrosse is not like football or basketball where players are trying to get noticed for something called the NFL or NBA.
Next year is the last real IVY league mass transfer as nearly two dozen are already in the portal so 06 is actually right. I assume Hopkins will be very active especially for guys like the Princeton goalie Gianforcaro, Hackler, Sandoval etc. That said competition will be extremely fierce as ND, Duke and UVA to a lesser extent lose a lot to graduation. I suspect they will be very active in the portal plus Maryland and Syracuse will be looking to replace Mule and Stevens be it internally or the portal as well. NIL is going to likely play a big role.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm On paper, the list of seniors who may have another year of eligibility left is actually pretty long. I'm not sure about every individual circumstance but it would appear likely that at least a few of the following guys will be back next year: Smith (played in 2 games in 2021), Bauer (didn't play in 2021), Deans (didn't play in 2022), Melendez (played in 3 games in 2022 at Marquette), Raposo (played in 4 games in 2021), C. Chauvette (didn't play in 2021), Arteaga (didn't play in 2021 OR 2022), and Evans (didn't play in 2021). Ince could have another year but I don't believe he's returning.
Agreed '16 - I mentioned Smith and Melendez - who IMO are #1 and #1A in hopes for returning. I would think Deans is #2 and Bauer #3. The issue with Deans is that apparently - he's a boy genius - Mechanical Engineering major at Hopkins and according to his coach from the last WWM vodcast has a GPA "off the charts"!!! That's golfing your ball in the classroom as they say. So I selfishly hope the corporations don't come calling with too many lucrative offers - but I am kidding and wish nothing but the best for him. A healthy Evans would be a nice addition and given the void created by the departues of Jaronski/Martin and Aviles - Arteaga suddenly becomes more of a valuable commodity - Raposo even more.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 pm

Next year is the last real IVY league mass transfer as nearly two dozen are already in the portal so 06 is actually right. I assume Hopkins will be very active especially for guys like the Princeton goalie Gianforcaro, Hackler, Sandoval etc. That said competition will be extremely fierce as ND, Duke and UVA to a lesser extent lose a lot to graduation. I suspect they will be very active in the portal plus Maryland and Syracuse will be looking to replace Mule and Stevens be it internally or the portal as well. NIL is going to likely play a big role.
I've been wrong before - God knows - but I think you are - in a way - proving my point - low 20's in the portal already doesn't sound like a tsunami to me. I know its early. And as you astutely pointed out - the competition for the name transfers will be fierce. Plus you had to drop down to Sandoval as a notable portal name - FOGO - a little over 50% in 2022 - less than 50 in '23 and then injured - taken all of 24 face-offs in '24. I am sure there will be players from "mid majors" or DIII whatever that have a year and want to play for a different program - possibly win a trophy etc. but compared to the prior two years - I don't see it.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:06 pm

I've been wrong before - God knows - but I think you are - in a way - proving my point - low 20's in the portal already doesn't sound like a tsunami to me. I know its early. And as you astutely pointed out - the competition for the name transfers will be fierce. Plus you had to drop down to Sandoval as a notable portal name - FOGO - a little over 50% in 2022 - less than 50 in '23 and then injured - taken all of 24 face-offs in '24. I am sure there will be players from "mid majors" or DIII whatever that have a year and want to play for a different program - possibly win a trophy etc. but compared to the prior two years - I don't see it.
Well keep in mind its the end of March, and there already two dozen guys in. That's a pretty big # for this time of the year. You assume at least another dozen + guys who will be high end D1 targets will also jump in plus there's always 2-3 surprises who jump in. I also took his comment on biblical to be an extremely important portal year versus massive numbers but I don't speak fluent 06, we will need hopfan16 to translate.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

This is where the alumni of the program flex the NIL so that the program doesn't become the ( insert relic of the past ) of the sport. The new college football playoff tv deal gets the rest of the conference $20 million a school a year and the acc gets $13 million a school a year. That probably mostly goes to the football programs, assistant managers of communications, assistant to the managers of communications etc but they're not slowing down in the college sports arms races. The Dukes, the Notre Dames, even the Denvers now who've had success over the last 15-25 years should be seeing those alumni ascend in the world and be able to start contributing the way older generations of acc/Hop alumni who have contributed meaningfully like the Cordish Center and in other major ways. Milliman doesn't strike me like the gladhanding retail politician/fundraiser, but he's had a few years around Homewood to build relationships with program alumni and some onfield success so he should be able to shake those trees.

They've had some weird social media posts-one with some company called OWYN so I'm guessing that's evidence of NIL stuff.

In the 410 I guess David Rubenstein takes over the Orioles tomorrow. My understanding is that he's a Baltimore native, didn't go to Hopkins but has been a major domo in university affairs over the years. Bloomberg is also said to be a new minority owner. Maybe we'll see Hopkins play at Camden.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:16 pm This is where the alumni of the program flex the NIL so that the program doesn't become the ( insert relic of the past ) of the sport.
The program has an NIL group that's competitive with other top programs.

I expect they will be active in the portal as long as there are players in there worth getting. They don't get everyone they want (no one does), but they win their fair share of battles. I've mentioned this a million times, but Duke badly wanted Ierlan. I'm sure there were others.

Gianforcaro's uncle played football at Hopkins. Have absolutely no idea if that will be a factor but it can't hurt. Every school that will need a new goalie next year — including Notre Dame — has surely been in contact already. Cuse has probably shown interest too.

But that's all for next year. Michigan first on Saturday. Hopefully they experience something of an "emotional letdown" after their dramatic win over the Terps last weekend. Faceoffs obviously are a concern. But I like how we match up pretty much everywhere else. Unfortunately we saw against Cuse how far that gets you if you're dominated at the X.

Weirdly the Jays are 4-0 in true road games but only 2-2 at home. It's time to defend Homewood.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://bigten.org/news/2024/3/26/mens- ... wards.aspx

All 4 player of the week awards in the big ten mens division this week went to Hopkins/Michigan guys. 3rd year in a row Angelus has won a player of the week award. Degnon oddly hasn't gotten one yet this year. Notable that each of the 4 preceding weeks of the Rutgers game Kurdyla and Stoller had won player of the week awards.

Melendez owned Ann Arbor last year the way Tressel and Urban used to own the Big House. It says he had 4 goals. I thought it was 5/6. Hopefully it's another year of him dominating the Wolverines. Dunn and Callahan were 7/20 on faceoffs and that was with Brother Mazzone and Hawley on the roster. Weitfelt was 13/18.

Evans is a scrappy gritty player. Too bad. Wonder what has become of Koleton Marquis and Downtown Carson Brown not to mention Nick Kaufman although Deans disappeared for awhile a few years ago and then reemerged. I could be wrong but Martins younger brother has been playing more as the season has gone on.

For some reason this name on the Michigan staff rang a bell. If Crawley ever gets a head coaching job somewhere it would be amazing to see him return to Homewood. All time cult Blue Jay.

https://mgoblue.com/staff-directory/joel-tinney/3951
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:16 pm

This is where the alumni of the program flex the NIL so that the program doesn't become the ( insert relic of the past ) of the sport. The new college football playoff tv deal gets the rest of the conference $20 million a school a year and the acc gets $13 million a school a year. That probably mostly goes to the football programs, assistant managers of communications, assistant to the managers of communications etc but they're not slowing down in the college sports arms races. The Dukes, the Notre Dames, even the Denvers now who've had success over the last 15-25 years should be seeing those alumni ascend in the world and be able to start contributing the way older generations of acc/Hop alumni who have contributed meaningfully like the Cordish Center and in other major ways. Milliman doesn't strike me like the gladhanding retail politician/fundraiser, but he's had a few years around Homewood to build relationships with program alumni and some onfield success so he should be able to shake those trees.

They've had some weird social media posts-one with some company called OWYN so I'm guessing that's evidence of NIL stuff.

In the 410 I guess David Rubenstein takes over the Orioles tomorrow. My understanding is that he's a Baltimore native, didn't go to Hopkins but has been a major domo in university affairs over the years. Bloomberg is also said to be a new minority owner. Maybe we'll see Hopkins play at Camden.
OWYN makes good protein assuming it's that company
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think I'm OK if next year is a turn over the program year. I think we have a bunch of talented underclassmen and it might be time to let them play rather than backfilling with transfers/5th years. I'll take a couple, but not really interested in loading up (Gianfacaro is more than welcome though - it's been very nice having above average goalie play this year in pretty much every game). Maybe take a step back next year - though that obviously depends on how this season goes - but probably better for the long term health of the program.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”