Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lilax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by lilax »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 pm I haven’t seen a ssdm running away from the ball in awhile. Bizarre.
Sometimes I think the coaches out coach themselves.
Defense was fine. Offense was a disaster and Michigan wanted it more in the middle of the field
Defensive zone missed ground balls was the story.

Count 3-4 UM goals coming off of 2nd chance possessions.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Just way too many turnovers, mistakes, failed clears, bad decisions in 2Q and they never got any momentum back. Denver and Navy games all over again.

Offense really struggles in settled sixes. The motion offense is effective in generating "mismatches", but its only a mismatch if you have guys that can win the dodge and draw a slide. We don't have many of those guys. Losing English really hurt in that regard. If defenses don't ballwatch and lose track of Degnon, we have trouble. Not sure there's a magic solution at this point in the year.

We've been able to compensate by being close to perfect on clears and very hard to score on in sixes. Both of those fell apart for some reason today, especially in the second and third quarters.

Oh, well. On to the tournament. Seeding less critical this year vs most. Just need to avoid ND as long as possible.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I am ecstatic that the Blue Jays lost.

No more close wins masking some SERIOUS PROBLEMS on offense.

The players put in a good effort. I do not blame them.

Crawley and PM have done an awful job of addressing some obvious problem on offense. Two goals in the last three quarters.

Michigan showed what a physical D can do to a finesse (tulip) offense.

It’s fine to regularly have guys like Angelus, Bauer, and Ayers dodge and make plays. But the Big Guys need to do more than set picks and pass the ball to the little guys.

We know the Big Guys can power dodge and score goals. They don’t have great speed, but they don’t need it.

Right now, opposing Ds are comfortable guarding the big middies with SSDMs. Then when it’s late and they expect Collison to power dodge, they finally put a longstick on him. Michigan knew the Big Guys wouldn’t dodge hard for most of the game.

That is truly f*cked up.

The Blue Jays play physically hard and aggressive all over the field … EXCEPT ON OFFENSE.

They even play aggressively and physical in the ride, but NOT ON OFFENSE.

That doesn’t make sense.

QK noticed. I noticed from the f*cking West Coast.

The problem is obvious. Hopefully this loss awakened the coaches.

DocBarrister
Last edited by DocBarrister on Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Navy game, part II. I don’t know how you only score 1 goal in 3 quarters.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:09 pm I haven’t seen a ssdm running away from the ball in awhile. Bizarre.
Do you think that player is taught to inexplicably leave his matchup so he's wide open for an 8 yard hands free step down? That was a player who doesn't play very much making a mental error. Had nothing to do with X's and O's.

Defense was fine. Offense was a disaster and Michigan wanted it more in the middle of the field
It was a mistake at a bad time but there was clearly some sort of scheme change. Dixon stated he was seeing something different and called it a backer zone for lack of better description. It wasn’t just that one play. You didn’t see that weirdness in the second half when they went back to a normal defense. Defense was ok for most of the game I agree.
primitiveskills

lilax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:15 pm

Agree, way too many excrutiatingly long defensive possessions due to failed clears and getting destroyed on GBs. Led to a lot of "tired" plays on defense. Lots of over the head checks, for instance.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm Just way too many turnovers, mistakes, failed clears, bad decisions in 2Q and they never got any momentum back. Denver and Navy games all over again.

Offense really struggles in settled sixes. The motion offense is effective in generating "mismatches", but its only a mismatch if you have guys that can win the dodge and draw a slide. We don't have many of those guys. Losing English really hurt in that regard. If defenses don't ballwatch and lose track of Degnon, we have trouble. Not sure there's a magic solution at this point in the year.

We've been able to compensate by being close to perfect on clears and very hard to score on in sixes. Both of those fell apart for some reason today, especially in the second and third quarters.

Oh, well. On to the tournament. Seeding less critical this year vs most. Just need to avoid ND as long as possible.
The Michigan D VOLUNTARILY GAVE THE HOPKINS OFFENSE MISMATCHES. Peshko, Grimes, and Collison had SSDMs on them the entire game. Didn’t even have to “generate” those mismatches. They were handed to Hopkins on a platter.

Petro and Benson would have sold their souls to get matchups like that.

And what does Crawley and PM do with those mismatches? Pass the ball for little guys to dodge against longsticks or use the Big Guys to set picks.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 pm

Agree, way too many excrutiatingly long defensive possessions due to failed clears and getting destroyed on GBs. Led to a lot of "tired" plays on defense. Lots of over the head checks, for instance.
The D did not lose this game for Hopkins.

Dixon agrees on that point.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This was a repeat of the Navy game — Jays go up big early, look unstoppable, then take their foot off the gas and the offense goes ice cold. Just zero killer instinct. They've got a week to figure it out.

Virginia is into the RPI top 5 with Denver's loss, giving the Jays a top 5 win. We dropped one spot, to #3. Still looking at a top 4 seed as of this exact moment. ACC results could change that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 pm I am ecstatic that the Blue Jays lost.

Crawley and PM have done an awful job of addressing some obvious problem on offense. Two goals in the last three quarters.

Michigan showed what a physical D can do to a finesse (tulip) offense.

It’s fine to regularly have guys like Angelus, Bauer, and Ayers dodge and make plays. But the Big Guys need to do more than set picks and pass the ball to the little guys.

We know the Big Guys can power dodge and score goals. They don’t have great speed, but they don’t need it.

Right now, opposing Ds are comfortable guarding the big middies with SSDMs. Then when it’s late and they expect Collison to power dodge, they finally put a longstick on him. Michigan knew the Big Guys wouldn’t dodge hard for most of the game.

That is truly f*cked up.

The Blue Jays play physically hard and aggressive all over the field … EXCEPT ON OFFENSE.

They even play aggressively and physical in the ride, but NOT ON OFFENSE.

That doesn’t make sense.

QK noticed. I noticed from the f*cking West Coast.

The problem is obvious. Hopefully this loss awakened the coaches.

DocBarrister
So to be clear, you're thinking it's the O, right?
;)
alecbaldwin

Post by alecbaldwin »

Frustrating lack of discipline from this team all year. So many dumb penalties in the fourth quarter that killed any chance of a comeback. The beginning of this year really had my hopes up but I don’t see how we can make it past the quarterfinals with an offense like that. Michigan just gave the world the plan on how to beat us - just be physical and we’ll throw the ball away.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:29 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:20 pm Just way too many turnovers, mistakes, failed clears, bad decisions in 2Q and they never got any momentum back. Denver and Navy games all over again.

The Michigan D VOLUNTARILY GAVE THE HOPKINS OFFENSE MISMATCHES. Peshko, Grimes, and Collison had SSDMs on them the entire game. Didn’t even have to “generate” those mismatches. They were handed to Hopkins on a platter.

And what does Crawley and PM do with those mismatches? Pass the ball for little guys to dodge against longsticks or use the Big Guys to set picks.

DocBarrister
Collison was guarded by Beau Pederson — I doubt you even know who he is — he'll be the first SSDM taken in the PLL draft next week. AND they are sliding to him. So he's got perhaps the best shortie in the game on him AND and an early slide when he looks for his left hand. He's dodging into brick walls. That's your idea of good offense?

They scored 6 goals right out of the gates and none of it had to do with "the big guys dodging more aggressively." Literally none of those goals had anything to do with them.

Grimes isn't a dodger like that. He never has been. There's a reason he gets a shortie most of the time.

Peshko was going at his guy over and over but couldn't get a step. What were you watching? That wasn't working.

Time for your lithium pills. These drastic mood swings are unhealthy
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 pm

The D did not lose this game for Hopkins.

Dixon agrees on that point.

DocBarrister
I didn't say they lost the game. I said they played a lot of long possessions and gave up some goals at the end of those possessions.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:31 pm This was a repeat of the Navy game — Jays go up big early, look unstoppable, then take their foot off the gas and the offense goes ice cold. Just zero killer instinct. They've got a week to figure it out.

Virginia is into the RPI top 5 with Denver's loss, giving the Jays a top 5 win. We dropped one spot, to #3. Still looking at a top 4 seed as of this exact moment. ACC results could change that.
We’re not getting a top 4 seed.

I think the Hopkins RPI could wind up in the top 4 or 5, and their resume is certainly worthy of a top 4 seed.

However, recent selection committees have shown a certain bias towards the eye test. They may use travel distance and other criteria to push a team down the seeding, but it ultimately winds up being an eye test.

No one watching the Blue Jays recently will consider them a top 4 team. They just don’t pass the eye test, expedition offense.

I would guess a 6 or 7 seed.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:21 pm I am ecstatic that the Blue Jays lost.

Who coaches the clearing game? Point some fingers in that direction as well
primitiveskills

alecbaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:35 pm Frustrating lack of discipline from this team all year. So many dumb penalties in the fourth quarter that killed any chance of a comeback. The beginning of this year really had my hopes up but I don’t see how we can make it past the quarterfinals with an offense like that. Michigan just gave the world the plan on how to beat us - just be physical and we’ll throw the ball away.
I love that Alec and Stephen were watching Hopkins/ Mich and posting about it on FanLax!
alecbaldwin

Post by alecbaldwin »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:39 pm

DocBarrister
Collison was guarded by Beau Pederson — I doubt you even know who he is — he'll be the first SSDM taken in the PLL draft next week. AND they are sliding to him. So he's got perhaps the best shortie in the game on him AND and an early slide when he looks for his left hand. He's dodging into brick walls. That's your idea of good offense?

They scored 6 goals right out of the gates and none of it had to do with "the big guys dodging more aggressively." Literally none of those goals had anything to do with them.

Grimes isn't a dodger like that. He never has been. There's a reason he gets a shortie most of the time.

Peshko was going at his guy over and over but couldn't get a step. What were you watching? That wasn't working.

Drawing an early slide is exactly how you create offense..you just need to pass the ball when they slide. Bad argument on your part.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister

Who gives a f*ck?

Best SSDM in college lacrosse? Isn’t that why you have guys like Collison around?

We’ve seen Collison, Peshko, even Degnon successfully dodge against THREE defenders.

You’re going to let Michigan neutralize your best middie just by putting their best SSDM on him? Force Pederson to prove he can stop Collison. MAKE PEDERSON PROVE IT.

It is also complete bullsh*t that Grimes is not that kind of dodger. He could be. He’s not just a finisher. The guy doesn’t have great speed, but sometimes aggression is more important.

As for the 6-1 lead. That stopped working 3 minutes into the second quarter.

What f*cking game were you watching?!?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

alecbaldwin wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:47 pm

DocBarrister

Drawing an early slide is exactly how you create offense..you just need to pass the ball when they slide. Bad argument on your part.
EXACTLY.

Dodge hard. Get the opposing D moving. Open things up for the O.

Tulip ball isn’t particularly good at that.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

DocBarrister
Again, unless those guys can beat the shortie and draw a slide, they are not mismatches. Tonight, they weren't mismatches. Peshko and Grimes dodged a bunch and never drew a slide. Collison beat his SSDM on the first possession of the game, got to the middle, and missed the shot. After that, Michigan completely took away the sweep and never slid off of Degnon, which really threw a wrench in the works. Maybe they could have gotten him some dodges from X, where he can be effective, but its not like there'sa lot of levers to pull.

Hopkins is not alone in having a shortage of guys who can make a defense move. Your friends in College Park, for instance, can commiserate. It's the reason that an "all-star" team like Duke can be held to 4 goals against a pedestrian Syracuse defense. Having multiple guys like that is what separates offenses like UVa, ND, and Cornell from the pack (a pack that unfortunately includes us).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”