Georgetown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2024

Post by rolldodge »

Hoping to see the Hoyas push the tempo a bit today and start to get the transition game flowing. Hard riding, groundballs on FO, control the middle of the field.

Brown goalie has a tendency to get hot, also something to look out for.
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Hoya wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:37 am
DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:19 am This thread a lot less quiet after the past couple wins - glad to see the fair weathers have crawled out of their holes just in time. It’s great to have everyone back.

-Department of Motor Vehicles Guy
Says the guy with 8 posts.
My comment is moreso directed at the chicken littles and negative nancy’s who wet themselves after a little early season volatility every year. When I say “back” I am referring to being back on the side of happy, excited and grateful about where the team is, rather than negative and disappointed by one or two tough losses.

People love to jump on this team when they stumble, but as fans and friends of the program we have to stand by them through good and bad. I am optimistic about the team. I have been all year, and I’m hoping that everyone can be optimistic about them as well. These forums have not always been kind to Coach Warne, especially in his early years. I think he is the guy and this is the year he gets over the hump. We have been spoiled by recent success, but we cannot forget how far the program has come in the last decade.

Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I would argue this board has more supporters in bad times than most others away from Cornell. Commentary about the state of the team will obviously ebb and flow from positive to less positive given the recent outcomes. That is basically why this forum is in place. The Hoya backers on here are very balanced and loyal IMO - whether losing to Loyola or beating ND. Go get Brown today.

LFGH!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:31 pm Obviously the danger into Brown is a let down. I would imagine Warne was not all warm and fuzzy this week with the boys so hopefully that is not the case. Llewelan stepping up is big. Haley beating poles is huge as creates more opportunities for the offense. Although the X is by committee at this point, the Hoyas are creating from behind and that is key to success down the road. Moore is clearly the real deal in the cage and his transition skills are really helping this team. The defense has tightened up and when a freshman can hold his own vs a guy like Kavanaugh that bodes well. Ball seems a bit banged up but I do think he can be a consistent 50+ guy at the faceoff X. Lot of positives going into the balance of the OOC schedule. Not to look ahead but Richmond is a huge game given the Loyola loss. Away from an AQ bid, Hoyas still may need a BET title, especially if lose one of the OOC games. One at a time. Hopefully no let down Saturday.
Brown looks like a train wreck so far I think you’re good but yes they should treat every game as lose able.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:19 am This thread a lot less quiet after the past couple wins - glad to see the fair weathers have crawled out of their holes just in time. It’s great to have everyone back.

He’s with the DMV, adjust your expectations.

https://youtu.be/ONFj7AYgbko?feature=shared
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:27 am

My comment is moreso directed at the chicken littles and negative nancy’s who wet themselves after a little early season volatility every year. When I say “back” I am referring to being back on the side of happy, excited and grateful about where the team is, rather than negative and disappointed by one or two tough losses.

People love to jump on this team when they stumble, but as fans and friends of the program we have to stand by them through good and bad. I am optimistic about the team. I have been all year, and I’m hoping that everyone can be optimistic about them as well. These forums have not always been kind to Coach Warne, especially in his early years. I think he is the guy and this is the year he gets over the hump. We have been spoiled by recent success, but we cannot forget how far the program has come in the last decade.

Were you around for the last few Urick years?
See Martin, Malcolm
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:52 am

I was not. Started following right around Warne’s first few years, which were not pretty… back in the laxpower days.

Also, I laughed out loud at zootopia so +1 there.

Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Defense + Moore looks lockdown. Great game from Halpert.

Still would like to see more from offense in transition and unsettled. Sometime feels like they are a little too careful. Maybe that will loosen up over the season.

Second midfield coming on strong!

Overall, good win for the Hoyas!
HGK

Post by HGK »

Off ball D back to some Loyola type issues but Moore saved their bacon. Clean that up and away from that have to love the depth and breadth of offensive weapons. Halpert was tremendous agree. Quick turnaround for HPU!
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:47 pm Defense + Moore looks lockdown. Great game from Halpert.

Still would like to see more from offense in transition and unsettled. Sometime feels like they are a little too careful. Maybe that will loosen up over the season.

Second midfield coming on strong!

Overall, good win for the Hoyas!
Agree on all fronts. Halpert was a menace in the middle of the field today and Moore lights out.

Was also fun to see Hess stay on and play some offense, perhaps they can do more of that to spark transition/slow break stuff.

Lastly, am I crazy or did the Cesare/Goldberg/Llewellyn line almost get more burn than Crogan/Vardaro/Wray? Haven’t seen that sort of scoring depth out of a team in forever, but awesome development either way. Really exciting for those guys to step up!
HGK

Post by HGK »

If you look back at the 2018 team that lost the OT heartbreak to Hopkins, 2019 team lost to Yale etc they ran 3 middies. Last year’s team was great but the scoring was very top heavy. This team is different. To your point, they have far more depth even if not as many superstars. This is a fun team to watch and hopefully that depth matters on hot days in late May!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:31 pm If you look back at the 2018 team that lost the OT heartbreak to Hopkins, 2019 team lost to Yale etc they ran 3 middies. Last year’s team was great but the scoring was very top heavy. This team is different. To your point, they have far more depth even if not as many superstars. This is a fun team to watch and hopefully that depth matters on hot days in late May!
Agree, scoring from 8 different players is promising.

Looking at some of the results over this past week, its seems like the key to beating some of the top teams is great defense + being able to control the tempo of the game. So far it looks like Georgetown is developing a pattern of execution in this regard. Discipline and unselfish play are key and easier to do without "superstars".

On the defensive end, I've been very impressed with Seamus Foley filling in for Tominovich. I wonder if when he returns they keep Foley at close and run Tominovich and Halpert at LSM.
Last edited by rolldodge on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:31 pm If you look back at the 2018 team that lost the OT heartbreak to Hopkins, 2019 team lost to Yale etc they ran 3 middies. Last year’s team was great but the scoring was very top heavy. This team is different. To your point, they have far more depth even if not as many superstars. This is a fun team to watch and hopefully that depth matters on hot days in late May!
That Yale game... Dan Bucaro had Chris Fake looking like a novice. 8 goals. Heroic performance by Dan, maybe the best individual performance I've seen by a Hoya.

Anyway, this year's team is fun to watch. I love that so many guys are getting to contribute.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

High Point up tomorrow. IMHO, this is more of a trap game than Brown. Hoyas need to come out strong from the start. High Point can score in bunches.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMV_Guy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:52 am

I was not. Started following right around Warne’s first few years, which were not pretty… back in the laxpower days.

Also, I laughed out loud at zootopia so +1 there.

I am glad I had kids to enjoy cartoon movies later in life.

End of DJU was ugly pitting Loyol Dave guys who ignored that he was getting component and gave too much to his son vs. “we are GTwon and should be in the QF every year” folks who think GTown has Hops history.

There was one guy who was smart Hoyaboy. He fought against it but he was often the right isn’t right when you can’t win the day, like being married. Some days he looked like he was in “when keeping it real goes wrong”…

https://youtu.be/D3U55usfJK8?si=EZHTrZnP8Ag9hpvw
See Martin, Malcolm
HGK

Post by HGK »

1st half was not great, nor start of 2nd half. Down 8-6 just 3 minutes into the 3rd and then shut out a good offense for 27 minutes is pretty impressive. Lot to clean up and not all roses, but Moore is just a game changer period. Probably an ESPN top 10 save, his clearing is tremendous and seems that as he goes the team goes. Balanced offense again, Ball dominant at the X. A lot of good to take away into this extended break. Don’t love the layoff but certainly seemed there were some boys a bit banged up that probably welcome the time off before Dartmouth and then Richmond.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Aidan Carroll has completely taken his game to another level this year. In an era where more and more, guys break into the lineup quickly or get passed on the depth chart by incoming players, I love seeing a guy like Aidan who has consistently developed over time and blossomed into a standout player.

For the second game in a row, the offense has looked as dangerous or moreso with the second midfield line in, which is just a huge development after several years where the Hoyas really lacked depth offensively. To do so coming off of a year where they lost so many players from their starting six really shows that the program is starting to do a better job of developing guys on the scout team. Goldberg has been effective as an initiator/feeder since his insertion into the lineup, Llewelyn has been terrific working off ball on the interior, and Cesare looks dangerous every time he touches the ball and can do a little bit of everything.

For the first line, Wray had a productive and mistake free day, and Vardaro seemed to find his Princeton form in the second half. Crogan is shifty and has such a great first step, but I think to really tap into his full potential he needs to work on his shooting mechanics; he doesn't get much extension or torque when he's winding up, so teams can play him as solely a feeder unless he gets a clean underneath release to the goal off the wing.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

random observer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:59 pm Aidan Carroll has completely taken his game to another level this year. In an era where more and more, guys break into the lineup quickly or get passed on the depth chart by incoming players, I love seeing a guy like Aidan who has consistently developed over time and blossomed into a standout player.

For the second game in a row, the offense has looked as dangerous or moreso with the second midfield line in, which is just a huge development after several years where the Hoyas really lacked depth offensively. To do so coming off of a year where they lost so many players from their starting six really shows that the program is starting to do a better job of developing guys on the scout team. Goldberg has been effective as an initiator/feeder since his insertion into the lineup, Llewelyn has been terrific working off ball on the interior, and Cesare looks dangerous every time he touches the ball and can do a little bit of everything.

For the first line, Wray had a productive and mistake free day, and Vardaro seemed to find his Princeton form in the second half. Crogan is shifty and has such a great first step, but I think to really tap into his full potential he needs to work on his shooting mechanics; he doesn't get much extension or torque when he's winding up, so teams can play him as solely a feeder unless he gets a clean underneath release to the goal off the wing.
This team is full of guys like Carroll. Chase Llewelyn with three multi-goal games in a row, is a senior seeing time for the first time. Kade Goldberg is a junior, same situation, and adding the ability to feed from the invert and some goals too. Seamus Foley is a senior starting for the first time and adding size and consistency to the D. Haven’t seen him have a defensive lapse yet.

Of course the Covid era transfers have contributed to this, but cheers to the coaching staff for creating an environment where guys are still engaged and competing.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Good game by the Hoyas. High Point is experienced and well-coached but the talent and athleticism of GU was too much.
Moore and Banks are special talents. Moore was incredible in the second half, and his clearing is excellent. Banks essentially shut down their best attack man, a fifth year senior. If all goes well he has the chance to be an all-time great GU defender.
The D midfield may be one of the best in the nation. Hess is simply a force and Halpert is very underrated. The entire defense looks more locked in and confident with a top goalie behind them.
The offense just keeps grinding away and the second midfield is genuinely dangerous. Vardaro found his rhythm last night, and Bundy is an incredible team player who opens everything up for other players.
A very good start to the season and the break should help in keeping the team fresh and healthy. The Loyola result is an anomaly and I believe this team would beat them by 4-6 goals if they played again.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

I counted three or four goals in transition this game and a few chances for more. That’s the difference between 10 or 11 goals a game and 14.

Also Cesare could/should have had about 4 or 5 goals. He’s getting himself in good spots on and off the ball. Gotta think it’s going to start falling for him.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”