9%

Total votes: 110

rolldodge

Re: Who Wins it All in 2023?

Post by rolldodge »

a fan wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:00 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 am Seeds #1, 2, 3, 5 — in the semis,
only the Terps at #4 were a miss

pretty good job by the selection committee.
The committee looks backward----"how'd you do in the regular season".

Not forward, which would be "we're giving bids and seeds based on how we think you'll do in the tournament".

If it were forward, thinking, I think most fans would lose their minds in terms of who gets bids, and who is seeded where.

In other words, they're telling you about the past, not the future.
Yep. I think there's a good chance Georgetown gets to the final four this year if they hadn't drawn UVA in the quarters. Probably the worst matchup for them. But that's where losing those first three games comes in. Win one of them and maybe they get a 4 or 5 seed. Either way, the champion will either be or have to go through UVA this year, so it would just be a matter of how far you get to say you made it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:00 pm

The committee looks backward----"how'd you do in the regular season".

Not forward, which would be "we're giving bids and seeds based on how we think you'll do in the tournament".

If it were forward, thinking, I think most fans would lose their minds in terms of who gets bids, and who is seeded where.

In other words, they're telling you about the past, not the future.
Remember ND getting in over GT in 2010? RIP Hoyaboy.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Terps weren't an unreasonable pick at #4, but they really fell apart after Ajax (their #1?) went down. That being said, Duke lucked out that Georgetown was the #7 because they were the fourth best team by the start of the tournament.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 12:32 pm

1-3 was pretty obvious. Maryland was a swing and miss by the committee. Not sure how they were a 4 seed and the top Big 10 team. They didnt win the regular season or tournament and they lost 3 of their last 5. I would have probably put a 4th ACC team in the field, given how dominant the top 3 ACC teams were. I thought the ACC was clearly the best conference and deserved a 4th..

You can’t go 1-5 in conference and get NCAA invites without a conference tournament AQ. I love Cuse but we didn’t deserve a bid. Carolina definitely didn’t deserve a bid.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:07 pm

1-3 was pretty obvious. Maryland was a swing and miss by the committee. Not sure how they were a 4 seed and the top Big 10 team. They didnt win the regular season or tournament and they lost 3 of their last 5. I would have probably put a 4th ACC team in the field, given how dominant the top 3 ACC teams were. I thought the ACC was clearly the best conference and deserved a 4th..

You can’t go 1-5 in conference and get NCAA invites without a conference tournament AQ. I love Cuse but we didn’t deserve a bid. Carolina definitely didn’t deserve a bid.
Here is the thing. I think a lot of teams go 1-5 in the ACC. ND, UVA, and Duke clearly separated themselves from the rest of the NCAA. Put Cuse in another conference and I’ll bet they don’t have a 1-5 record
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Well they did. And their best win was Princeton. That's how it goes.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

I agree most teams go 1 - 5 in the ACC but Cuse messed up with the schedule. If SU would have had two wins vs say Army and Cornell who weren't on the schedule this yr they might have made it. Having St Bonny's and Hofstra instead killed any chance of making it. Gary Gait admitted after the season he messed that up but learned from it. Cuse wasn't ready to make any noise this yr anyway. Next yr could be a big yr.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Cuse was 8-7 overall, RPI #22, 0-6 vs the RPI top 10.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DoubleD wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:23 pm I agree most teams go 1 - 5 in the ACC but Cuse messed up with the schedule. If SU would have had two wins vs say Army and Cornell who weren't on the schedule this yr they might have made it. Having St Bonny's and Hofstra instead killed any chance of making it. Gary Gait admitted after the season he messed that up but learned from it. Cuse wasn't ready to make any noise this yr anyway. Next yr could be a big yr.
Cuse has a lot of offensive weapons coming back, although their main guys that can dodge and break down a D are done (Kirst and Simmons). But offense was not their problem. They'll have Mark back but they are going to need to make a major upgrade at D and FO if they are going to be any better than they were this year. I'm not so sure I see a big jump in their future, but winning one or two more of the right games could get them in the dance.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

That kind of reasoning led to Harvard getting a bid last season when the Ivies were the best conference. The same people beating their chests about the ACC this season were pretty unhappy about Harvard getting a bid over ND/Duke last year.

Which of the 8 at large teams looked like they didn't belong? I'd say none. They all either advanced or lost by a goal or two in the first round. I think the committee did a good job selecting the teams. Some of the first round games were unfair, but that appears to be because of the stupid travel rules regarding limits on flights and no 400 mile bus rides.
coda

Post by coda »

I was complete against Harvard getting in. Just because the NCAA went overboard one year, doesnt mean you cannot factor in the difficulty of a conference schedule. An at-large team losing by a couple of goals, does not prove that another team could have performed better. I personally thought Cuse was a better team than Yale. For the record, I am far from an ACC or Cuse fan.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

coda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:52 pm I was complete against Harvard getting in. Just because the NCAA went overboard one year, doesnt mean you cannot factor in the difficulty of a conference schedule. An at-large team losing by a couple of goals, does not prove that another team could have performed better. I personally thought Cuse was a better team than Yale. For the record, I am far from an ACC or Cuse fan.
Yale would have been a terrible matchup for Syracuse. They would have feasted on Syracuse's weak defense.
coda

Post by coda »

rolldodge wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:21 pm
coda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:52 pm I was complete against Harvard getting in. Just because the NCAA went overboard one year, doesnt mean you cannot factor in the difficulty of a conference schedule. An at-large team losing by a couple of goals, does not prove that another team could have performed better. I personally thought Cuse was a better team than Yale. For the record, I am far from an ACC or Cuse fan.
Yale would have been a terrible matchup for Syracuse. They would have feasted on Syracuse's weak defense.
have you seen Yale's defense?? I actually think they are similar teams. Looking at Lax reference, they have Cuse with the more efficient offense and defense. If those 2 met, I would have taken the over. My biggest issue with Yale is having 3 blow out losses. I can not think of another at-large team, that was blown out 3 times in a season.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Idk Cuse has Will Mark and the D was on the field way to much due to the FOGO situation. Riley Figg coming back will be huge and being able to leave Olexo at LSM. Would have def been a high scoring game as Cuse offense would light up Yale's D. Due to Will Mark I think Cuse would have beat Yale.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I am really torn with this question as I genuinely don't like any of these programs, respect yes, like no. I wish there was an NIT tournament. :D
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:42 pm
have you seen Yale's defense?? I actually think they are similar teams. Looking at Lax reference, they have Cuse with the more efficient offense and defense. If those 2 met, I would have taken the over. My biggest issue with Yale is having 3 blow out losses. I can not think of another at-large team, that was blown out 3 times in a season.
Try having their defense for a fantasy team where you lose a point for each goal over ten…

BTW Hopkins isn’t in either future of your (shortsighted) vision or mine…
See Martin, Malcolm
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I had a dream last night:

Notre Dame peaked in the Final Four and won both games by multiple goals to claim the title.

Could that become realistic?
molo

Post by molo »

Sure, dreams can be good predictors of the future . I had an unpleasant dream last night. Today while hiking on the woods in northern Baltimore County with my dog, I almost stepped on a snake. No big deal, snakes live in the woods and we encounter them fairly regularly. This afternoon my wife showed me a video that she had made while I was returning my car to my parking spot behind the house since I had moved it to allow workmen to park their truck while building a fence in my neighbor’s yard. Well they must have disturbed a habitat because the snake that my wife videoed near the top of our basement stairs must be about five feet long. He’s somewhere in the yard now. In the woods, no big deal, in my yard, which is about a mile and a half north of the city, big deal. I won’t be wearing flip flops when we walk the dog tonight.
I still think UVA beats ND Saturday, but if I were superstitious, I’d be a little less confident .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:07 pm I had a dream last night:

Notre Dame peaked in the Final Four and won both games by multiple goals to claim the title.

Could that become realistic?
Then you got shot on a hotel balcony?
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:26 pm Sure, dreams can be good predictors of the future . I had an unpleasant dream last night. Today while hiking on the woods in northern Baltimore County with my dog, I almost stepped on a snake. No big deal, snakes live in the woods and we encounter them fairly regularly. This afternoon my wife showed me a video that she had made while I was returning my car to my parking spot behind the house since I had moved it to allow workmen to park their truck while building a fence in my neighbor’s yard. Well they must have disturbed a habitat because the snake that my wife videoed near the top of our basement stairs must be about five feet long. He’s somewhere in the yard now. In the woods, no big deal, in my yard, which is about a mile and a half north of the city, big deal. I won’t be wearing flip flops when we walk the dog tonight.
I still think UVA beats ND Saturday, but if I were superstitious, I’d be a little less confident .
Rust Cohle once told me time is a flat circle…
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”