Villanova 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Villanova 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

NovaLax17 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:54 am Thank you Joewillie! Duly noticed.

Dare I say as a biased Nova lax alum, you are a voice of reason among the less astute observers? I hope the men deliver today against Brown.
Good luck today. Browns record is incredibly deceiving. BEST 1-6 lax team maybe ever. Lost to Maryland in OT.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That last game for Brown was some intense lacrosse.

I’m following Ben Scandone these days, a sophomore transfer from Drexel - seems to spark Brown’s 1st midfield with solid playmaking. Also have been tracking Matteo Corsi since he transferred from Syracuse.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

A must win, most likely, for Nova's at-large bid hopes to the postseason.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

What a defensive performance! Congrats, Cats, and best of luck in Big East play!
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Some mention earlier on this board about Zupicich - another AA performance yesterday w 4 CTs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:36 pm That last game for Brown was some intense lacrosse.

I’m following Ben Scandone these days, a sophomore transfer from Drexel - seems to spark Brown’s 1st midfield with solid playmaking. Also have been tracking Matteo Corsi since he transferred from Syracuse.
Me too, he’s on a fantasy roster and I thought it was a sneaky good late pick
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Denver on Saturday. The Cats can win. But they will be facing a team coming off a loss to Duke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:10 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:36 pm That last game for Brown was some intense lacrosse.

Me too, he’s on a fantasy roster and I thought it was a sneaky good late pick
Either one of those guys will get you some points,

unfortunately Brown has a killer schedule this year,
and also, faced a Villanova team who have turned around their season in a big way the past 6 games.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

On to Denver on Saturday. This one could be a thriller. I hate to sound negative, and I hope I am wrong. However:

heart says-Nova
head says-Denver
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

Young Warrior wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:47 am Some mention earlier on this board about Zupicich - another AA performance yesterday w 4 CTs.
Zupichich is all over the field, and is a threat not only defensively, but can set up a goal and score. Incredible effort and execution every game.

From the Inside Lacrosse editorial board mid season review:
Stephen Zupicich, LSM, Villanova – The ascent of players who show up as freshmen in college or players who make a sophomore leap when given a bigger chance are surprises only in the sense that we don’t always know who they will be. Zupicich already played four seasons at Ohio State and so showing up and looking like an All-American at Villanova is a surprise on another level. With 35 GB and 28 CT in just 9 games, he had already eclipsed career highs in 2022 of 31 and 13 in half as many games. -PM
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/62958
ToeDipper78

Post by ToeDipper78 »

NovaLax17 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm
Young Warrior wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:47 am Some mention earlier on this board about Zupicich - another AA performance yesterday w 4 CTs.
Zupichich is all over the field, and is a threat not only defensively, but can set up a goal and score. Incredible effort and execution every game.

From the Inside Lacrosse editorial board mid season review:
Stephen Zupicich, LSM, Villanova – The ascent of players who show up as freshmen in college or players who make a sophomore leap when given a bigger chance are surprises only in the sense that we don’t always know who they will be. Zupicich already played four seasons at Ohio State and so showing up and looking like an All-American at Villanova is a surprise on another level. With 35 GB and 28 CT in just 9 games, he had already eclipsed career highs in 2022 of 31 and 13 in half as many games. -PM
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/62958
For a guy originally headed to Holy Cross, pretty cool he's now at this level
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

A nod to Chris Miller, the unheralded coach of Villanova’s impressive defense.

Nova is sixth in the nation for caused turnovers, averaging ten per game.

Nova is tied for 11th in man down defense.

They have solid LSM’s and close defensemen, plus depth. Long stick midflielder Stephen Zupicich is number one in the nation with 32 caused turnovers in ten games. Sophomore close defenseman Jack Shoemaker (Loyola HS, CA) has 17 CTO.s Solid starting close defenseman David Evanchick (Darien, CT) went down with an injury and Aidan Ahearn stepped in and has played great.

I was able to attend the Denver game last Saturday in Radnor. The Cats, in my opinion are far closer to Denver than the media rankings would otherwise indicate. (Side note: Quint Kessenich has Nova ranked at #20, but stated in his April 1st ranking, "Wildcats trip to Denver was a downer, losing 9-6 ." The game was at Villanova Stadium :roll: ).

Coach Miller’s defense held Denver to three goals in the first half. Denver had a strong third quarter scoring three goals that sealed the Pios' victory 9-6.

Unfortunately, the Cats were without Justin Coppola, their 7th nationally ranked FOGO, who has 62.4% win percentage. For the second time in two years, Brown took Coppola out of the game with an illegal hit, this time at the end of the 1st quarter in Providence. That injury kept him out of the game against Denver.

After the tough loss to Denver, Villanova probably has to run the table in the remaining games before the BE tournament in order stay in contention for post-season play.

Nova faces Providence tomorrow. I hope start they strong and win strong.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Although, in reality,

that was the case prior to the game with the Pios,

so nothing really has changed, Villanova still has to win the BE to get in this year,
I think that's the case for the other Big East teams as well, except for an outside shot for Georgetown with the Notre Dame win,
the at large spots are so competitive - and with the ACC, they often get 4 bids every year, 2-3 to the B1G - doesn't leave a lot of other slots.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:07 pm Although, in reality,

so nothing really has changed, Villanova still has to win the BE to get in this year,
I think that's the case for the other Big East teams as well, except for an outside shot for Georgetown with the Notre Dame win,
the at large spots are so competitive - and with the ACC, they often get 4 bids every year, 2-3 to the B1G - doesn't leave a lot of other slots.
I felt that if they beat Denver last Saturday and won the remaining games, their "overall body of work" would put them in the conversation for an at-large, even if they did not win the AQ from the Big East tournament.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For the super fan of Simon Conor really wants a HC gig he should send his cv t:

Hobart (and William smith) College athletics Department
144 Pulteney Street
Geneva, NY 14456

If they don’t have an opening in the next 15mo then the college may not exist inn25yrs as anything other than a satellite campus of Cornell.

Thanks,

Mgt
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I apologize if my standards are too high for anyone. But I just told some Nova Lax friends of mine the following:

I am fine seeing Georgetown and Denver win more Big East Tournament Championships. However, I won't be so happy seeing either St. John's or Providence win their first, or Marquette win another before the Wildcats finally get it done.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:07 pm Although, in reality,

You are right 10stone5.

There is a significant possibility that Villanova does not make the Big East tournament. As with the majority of years since the BE conference was formed, Nova has no chance at an at-large bid.

The performance against Providence at home during senior week and lax alumni weekend was simply poor, particularly in comparison to the strong output against Denver in the prior weekend and dominance over Colgate.

The team has faced significant injuries. Unfortunately, in the face of this “annual adversity,” Villanova’s offense has shifted from a balanced attack to one marred by poor shot selection (i.e. stick side pass to goalie) and uneven performance. Against the Friars, the Nova offense took 50 shots and only managed 12 goals.

Nova’s defense caused 20 turnovers. Providence only caused 10. Yet, the Casts were outscored. Missing top-ranked FOGO Justin Coppola didn’t help the cause, but after the Denver effort, a better output was expected.

Nova is now 0-2 in Big East play, facing an improved St. John’s team tomorrow. They Cats face Marquette on the 20th and Georgetown on the 26th. Based on the existing status quo, the odds are against Villanova.

If they can beat St. John’s, they also have to beat Marquette to keep their hopes alive. It is not likely Nova will beat Georgetown. Marquette normally brings their “A” game. Last year, the Cats won in OT 16-15 at home. A loss to either St. John’s or Marquette would probably end their chances of a BE tourney.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Fortunes turn so quickly these days,

I hadn't even considered Villanova being in a bind to make the BE.
But that Providence game certainly put them in a bind.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:58 pm Fortunes turn so quickly these days,

I hadn't even considered Villanova being in a bind to make the BE.
But that Providence game certainly put them in a bind.
They certainly do 10stone. Injuries and a small roster rise again.

The Cats beat St. John's last Saturday in Queens. However, Villanova is now vying with Marquette for the lowest seed in the BE tourney, which Villanova hosts this year at Villanova Stadium on the weekend of May 2nd.

Based on recent games, the Golden Eagles appear to be on par with the Wildcats. Both teams lost to Providence by three (Nova lost 12-15 and Marquette lost 10-13). However, Marquette put forth a good effort versus Georgetown on April 6th, losing 11-8. That game was 7-7 going into the fourth quarter.

G'Town and Denver are fighting for the number one seed in the BE tourney, but both teams are also vying for an at-large bid. Providence is locked-in at the three seed for the BE playoff.

Nova has to beat Marquette in Milwaukee on Saturday to secure the number four seed. This will be a tough game for the Cats with the home field advantage going to Marquette.

Hopefully, the Cats will not be spectators on their own field come May 2nd.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

If Denver wins the BET the Big East is a one bid league. Georgetown doesn’t have the resume for an at-large bid.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”