Villanova 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Villanova 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

Obviously, several top players from 2023 will be gone. However, there definitely is some talent returning. I must say one thing:

While seeing rival Georgetown continuously winning the Big East Tournament hurts, what would hurt even more is seeing either Providence win the tournament or Marquette win it again before the Wildcats win their first.
gymman1031

Re: Villanova 2024

Post by gymman1031 »

It has been announced that Villanova will be buying the land that is currently Cabrini's campus. That school is closing. We can hope that they might decide to build some new athletic facilities there.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Villanova University announces plans to take ownership of
Cabrini University; effectively ending elite D3 lacrosse
programs after 2024

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/villano ... fter-2024/

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Saw they want to move the law school there.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Cabrini's campus is absolutely stunning. If you haven't been on property before, you'll love the sprawling acres and recent upgrades. An intimate lacrosse setting without football lines too. Great alumni area on the hill. New field house compliments of Nerney (USLI founder). New parking garage. ..if you're sensing a theme here, yes, the previous admin/president over-invested right before the pandemic and enrollment drop off.

While I was tempted to drop a "don't dance on our grave" snarky comment, I think I'm at a point of grieving where I just want to wish the 'Nova community well. My FIL and wife are graduates, so hating you would be an impossibility. I don't particularly like being swallowed up by a blue blood big brother. But it's better than having it sit unused. I imagine most of the houses and dorms will be renovated or replaced. And with good reason. A lot of Y chromosomes on those walls!!!

Would love to see you all continue progress as a program. All the best.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It is a tremendous campus,

all those campuses along that stretch of route 30 are very nice,
from Malvern Prep through to Cabrini and Villanova, and north up to St. Joe’s.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Maybe Nova will be playing their games over at Cabrini now, so they can move out of that old football stadium that Corrado has to share with 4 other sports teams at Nova
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Magbride14 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:46 am Maybe Nova will be playing their games over at Cabrini now, so they can move out of that old football stadium that Corrado has to share with 4 other sports teams at Nova

the athletic center there, dixon center i believe, is pretty nice. the "stadium" is a bit small for the likes of a d1 program IMO.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:15 am
Magbride14 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:46 am Maybe Nova will be playing their games over at Cabrini now, so they can move out of that old football stadium that Corrado has to share with 4 other sports teams at Nova

the athletic center there, dixon center i believe, is pretty nice. the "stadium" is a bit small for the likes of a d1 program IMO.
Correct, originally built based on a donation from the Fitz Dixon and part of the historically wealthily Widener family (they donated to a ton of local colleges back in the day). Edith Robb Dixon field was built with another donation in his wife's name, but he passed before it was completed. Updated with a new pavilion, team specific locker rooms, and a bunch of other goodies with funding from Thomas Nerney (USLI founder, who sold to Bershire Hathaway, and a hell of a Cabrini basketball player).

I think Valley Forge fought us on digging into that hill behind the benches for additional seating. Easily remedied though. That could be a very, very nice spot for Wildcat lax.

https://cabriniathletics.com/facilities
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Fitz Dixon,

bought Julius Erving for the Sixers from the Nets.

Dixon owned the 1st version of the Philadelphia Wings.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:46 am Fitz Dixon,

bought Julius Erving for the Sixers from the Nets.

Dixon owned the 1st version of the Philadelphia Wings.
Wow, didn't know about either. Love it.

Unrelated Wings memory, I was part of the first class to play lacrosse at Garnet Valley HS. Early spring of '97. Our Head Coach (Jim Harvey) reached out to the Wings to see if they could send a player to hold a session with us to help us see what was possible. They sent GARY freaking GAIT. (which was lost on all of us at the time) Our HC's wife worked at Neumann College. So, we all head over to the Neumann gym for the "practice." As we walk in he's going through his wall ball routine with a pinched white STX Viper. ATW, fluid BTBs, just dirty stuff. Walked through some drills with us, most of us had just recently picked up our first sticks. He was so patient and kind. Grew the game that day. I begged my Mom for a Viper that evening. Still have it, still think of that day when I see it in the garage. BTW, Gary attended our end of year awards banquet too and took pictures with all of us. By that time we understood.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Jake Melchionni - another Phila legacy, Sixers tie-in - has done well in the eyes of the ratings guys, he’ll be in the UA all star seniors game this upcoming weekend,

grandson of Bill Melchionni, a Villanova basketball hall of famer, all pro with the ABA Nets, played with Dr J and instrumental in getting Dr J from the Nets to the Sixers.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:03 am Jake Melchionni - another Phila legacy, Sixers tie-in - has done well in the eyes of the ratings guys, he’ll be in the UA all star seniors game this upcoming weekend,

grandson of Bill Melchionni, a Villanova basketball hall of famer, all pro with the ABA Nets, played with Dr J and instrumental in getting Dr J from the Nets to the Sixers.
Cousin Lee Melchionni played basketball at Duke!

Joe
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Philly Lacrosse posted the rosters for the All-America Senior Games, July 29, Homewood, ESPNU 8pm,

https://phillylacrosse.com/2023/rosters ... s-hopkins/

12 Jake Melchionni LSM 6’0″
Bernardsville, NJ/ Delbarton Villanova
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Be careful guys, Manhattan might be looking at Simon Conor for their HC position, he would bring all that experience, his motion offense & his Delbarton pipeline to the Jasper program
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Jake Melchionni, MVP
North LSM Jake Melchionni (Villanova) was named he New Balance Player of the Game on the strength of a two-goal, one-assist, seven-groundball, three-caused turnover performance. And fans almost missed out on the opportunity to see Melchionni perform altogether.

Melchionni and South defenseman Kyle Foster were injury replacements, rounding out the 46 players selected after an unprecedented wave of setbacks left five players (Leo Hoffman, Andrew Greenspan and William Firth for the North, Sean Creter and Donny Scott for the South) unable to participate.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/61907

_________
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Magbride14 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:13 pm Be careful guys, Manhattan might be looking at Simon Conor for their HC position, he would bring all that experience, his motion offense & his Delbarton pipeline to the Jasper program
This guy is the best. Magbride14 I mean, not Simon Conor with his motion offense and Delbarton pipeline.

Manhattan already named an assistant coach as the interim head coach for the year, so the motion offense and Delbarton pipeline will need to wait until the summer.
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

Hey D3laxfan2, I still think that Simon Conor would have been a better choice for the Manhattan top job rather then a young assistant, just my take but I guess u must know more about college lacrosse then the rest of us
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nobody’s buying that you don’t have a very specific personal stake in constantly posting about Simon anywhere and everywhere and pretending to be an agnostic unrelated third party. And I’ve got some friends who played the game at elite levels who I sometimes wondered if they could be Dexter Manley in a reading competition that would see through this.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Magbride14 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 pm Hey D3laxfan2, I still think that Simon Conor would have been a better choice for the Manhattan top job rather then a young assistant,
According to his bio, Doug Sage graduated from Gettysburg in 1998. Is that considered young? I'm pretty sure he coached John Odierna at Gettysburg as an assistant as well.
just my take but I guess u must know more about college lacrosse then the rest of us
Not sure where you are reading that from my post? I just told you that an interim coach for the year had already been announced.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”