For hockey fans...

General Chatter
Nigel

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:33 pm
Nigel wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:05 pm
Answer - Go get certified and become a referee.

At my age? That's meshugenah!
OK, maybe post a clip of the play here (Livebarn maybe) so the court of public opinion can agree or disagree with you.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:46 am
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:33 pm At my age? That's meshugenah!
OK, maybe post a clip of the play here (Livebarn maybe) so the court of public opinion can agree or disagree with you.

Confession: I have never learned how to use one of those modern day video-phones. Still use a land line! :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:50 am

Confession: I have never learned how to use one of those modern day video-phones. Still use a land line! :lol:
Just give me the name of the rink and the time of the game. I will find it on livebarn and post it.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Carroll81 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Just give me the name of the rink and the time of the game. I will find it on livebarn and post it.

GREAT!

arena:
John V. Hoene - West St. Paul Arena is located at 60 West Emerson in West St. Paul.

schedule:

https://www.sibleyareahockey.org/schedu ... son=780946

Sun Feb 27 -
Rosemount Bantam B2 Navy
West St Paul Ice Arena
3:20 PM CST

The incident took place in the third period. Don't recall the specific time. Also check earlier when one of the Sibley players was slammed against the board and the refs missed it. This led to a Rosemount goal. Overall I'd say Rosemount produces a few more pucksters every year than does West St Paul. Game was fun just the same.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:14 pm
Carroll81 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm

GREAT!

arena:
John V. Hoene - West St. Paul Arena is located at 60 West Emerson in West St. Paul.

schedule:

https://www.sibleyareahockey.org/schedu ... son=780946

Sun Feb 27 -
Rosemount Bantam B2 Navy
West St Paul Ice Arena
3:20 PM CST

The incident took place in the third period. Don't recall the specific time. Also check earlier when one of the Sibley players was slammed against the board and the refs missed it. This led to a Rosemount goal. Overall I'd say Rosemount produces a few more pucksters every year than does West St Paul. Game was fun just the same.
Watched most of the game for you Brooklyn and I'd say the calls and non calls were fairly equal. Felt a few late hits could've been called (USAH implemented a point of emphasis on that this year), but it went both ways. Maybe a boarding or at least a roughing was ignored in the first that dropped a smaller WSP kid for a stoppage that brought a coach a few steps onto the ice for 10-15 seconds.
I didn't find any incident in the third period and Rosemount's fourth goal was at 5 on 5 (made it 4-2). The only play that comes even close to your story was just about a minute before the end of the 2nd, a RM player was on a solo rush with a trailing defender right behind him and another dman veering towards him from his right. The trailing player tried to hook him at the top of the circle (failed) but the other defender accidently tripped him as he went for the puck - there was no body contact. The near ref flinched him arm halfway up but kept it down and the puck carrier and the guilty WSP player fell into the goalie. Refs chatted for a few seconds and then lined up for a faceoff until several fans started to yell about the expected penalty against WSP. Then the RM coaches started voicing their displeasure, got a conference with one of the refs, then the refs chatted, and then they put the WSP kid in the box. So in essence the unsure refs changed their minds but IMO righted a wrong (but wasted at least 2m and looked foolish doing it).

I think the real issue you should have Brookie is how that game got curfewed with about six minutes left on the clock (and nobody got hurt to eat away minutes). By my estimate it took 30 curfew minutes to play the 14 minute first period. USAH's new off-sides rule doesn't help but the refs seemed to be out for a Sunday skate (maybe it was their 3rd game in a row?) and a 2+ minute period break also didn't help. It looked like the 3rd period started with 10m on the curfew clock and last time I checked 14 minutes of clock time doesn't fit into 10 minutes of curfew time. I also noticed that the game before also got curfewed but not by as much. I think your refs (and it's not an easy gig so I don't want to crap on them too much) could've done a better job shagging pucks, lining up the kids, and getting play started with a bit more energy.

Two BTWs for you. The third WSP goal looked to be offsides (an illustration of the refs being good or bad usually are good/bad both ways) and the final score was 5-3.

Your old NYRangers blue seat colors are coming thru.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dunno what video you saw but I was near that early boarding incident and could feel the bleachers shake as the kid got pounded. It was brutal as heck. Ok, the flop was late in the second rather than in the third period - I stand corrected. But it was clearly a flop. A couple of parents to my right admitted it was a flop. And did you hear that loud booing? Ha, ha ~ am still laughing over that sequence.

Anyways, a good game it was (final score was 5-2, not 5-3). I love youth hockey as it is so much fun. Darn it, I wish the season was longer!

Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 am Dunno what video you saw but I was near that early boarding incident and could feel the bleachers shake as the kid got pounded. It was brutal as heck. Ok, the flop was late in the second rather than in the third period - I stand corrected. But it was clearly a flop. A couple of parents to my right admitted it was a flop. And did you hear that loud booing? Ha, ha ~ am still laughing over that sequence.

Anyways, a good game it was (final score was 5-2, not 5-3). I love youth hockey as it is so much fun. Darn it, I wish the season was longer!
I watched the second half of the game. My reaction is the same as Nigel. 2 interference calls and a trip. Both interference calls were spot on. The trip was as Nigel said - front ref flinched, back ref had his arm up; they conferred and were going to let it go, but the bench pointed out that he had his arm up, so the gave the penalty.

The flop was called for interference. The offender skated past the puck to hit the player. He did make contact, but it was not a huge hit. It is still interference.

The refs could work on positioning and mechanics. They aren't going to the NHL, but neither are any of these kids. They certainly were not incompetent.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thanks for your interest in the game and subject. Glad to know folks here appreciate youth hockey. I can still hear the booing from the Sibley corner.

Did you also see the boarding incident? Ugh, I can still feel it from where I was sitting.

Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

If the boarding incident is the play I remember, it happened in the corner by the Zam doors. There was a scrum with several players battling for the puck. One of the white players pushed the blue player in the back and he went down awkwardly. It was a borderline check from behind. You have to realize that this is Bantam B hockey. They are just learning to check and protect themselves in puck battles. They easily lose their balance when contacted. No big, huge, board shaking hits stand out in my mind in the time I watched.

Youth hockey has come a long way in the last few years. Since USA Hockey limited checking to bantam and above and reinstituted cross-ice for younger kids, the skill level has improved and the games are much better.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ Nigel mentioned it above. The bleachers quaked when the kid got boarded. Anyways, the game is over. Let's hope there was no lasting injury from it.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 am Dunno what video you saw but I was near that early boarding incident and could feel the bleachers shake as the kid got pounded. It was brutal as heck. Ok, the flop was late in the second rather than in the third period - I stand corrected. But it was clearly a flop. A couple of parents to my right admitted it was a flop. And did you hear that loud booing? Ha, ha ~ am still laughing over that sequence.

As they used to say in sales training, "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story."
https://www.rosemounthockey.org/game/sh ... er=6753634
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:15 am
As they used to say in sales training, "don't let the facts get in the way of a good story."
https://www.rosemounthockey.org/game/ga ... t/33141883
unfortunately the stat sheet doesn't show anything but it actually was 5-2.
no big deal

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

game got curfewed

Not really a problem here since Sibley did not have any real momentum and couldn't make any comeback.

But I remember a game a couple of years back when Edgcumbe Juniors (my neighborhood club) had fallen behind and mounted a tremendous comeback. The score was tied and our players were firing at the opposing goalie from every angle imaginable. The alarm sounded and curfew was called (there had been about 5 minutes left in the game). Man alive - was I ever p!ssed! Just when we were on the verge of winning, this sh!t had to happen. What a game it was - only to be spoiled by this sh!t.

You know the real problem: we just don't have enough hockey arena facilities in the Twin Cities. Because of that, there is a limit to the amount of ice time given to the clubs and a curfew is imposed to enable other clubs to play.

It's just so d@mn stupid! Lake Wobegone has a $10 billion dollar surplus and can easily build another 2 dozen arenas and spread them everywhere. Instead the moronic pols use the surplus to give subsidies to wealthy suburbanites. D@mn shame for sure.

Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:47 am
no big deal
Let's go to the video tape (screen shot from the video as the curfew horn sounds to end the game)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Yes, that is when the game ended as the curfew alarm sounded. I'll check with the coach and get back to you on this.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:47 am
no big deal
Final score
Final score
IMG_1131 (002).JPG (116.37 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Thanks. I thought late in the game that the final goal was incorrectly credited to Sibley rather than Rosemount - did not get a reply to my email so I'll take your word for it & accept that it was the final score

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ nice article

gives us all hope

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Big win for the Gophers tonight in NCAAs. Came back from a 3-1 hole in UMass' backyard. Heavy pro Minuteman crowd created a great buzz on the broadcast. That'll be missed on Sunday when Minn takes on Western MI.

The Frozen Four is in Boston but (at the moment) only QUINNIPIAC has a chance to make it from the East.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”