For hockey fans...

General Chatter
Nigel

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by Nigel »

Love him or hate him, kudos to Don Cherry for his induction into the American Hockey League HOF! A 1987 Rochester Amerks HOF inductee, a toast of Genny to you Don! Rochester, and no doubt C&S, loves ya!!!

https://ahlhalloffame.com/don-cherry
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Nigel, thanks for sharing. I was very lucky to see a lot of Amerks games during the 60s thanks to a close buddy. His dad was a big shot with the D&C so we'd score a lot of tics in the company seats behind the bench. Seeing Don Cherry, Gerry Cheevers, Al Arbour and the others on those powerhouse Amerks teams of the 60s have provided me with a lot of great memories.

Here is the Amerks HoF list. https://www.amerks.com/page/Amerks%20Hall%20of%20Fame
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

to Nigel & 6x6

Thanks for those notes re Amerks.

Great foto of legendary Coach Al wearing glasses during his playing days:

I look back on the Original Six days with great fondness as do a great many puck fans. And while we had a great time back then, folks who watched minor league puck have equally great memories of their game back in the day. Wish I could have joined them.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

In just their 4 years of existence, just before expansion, I enjoyed several future NHL stars (& grinders) on the St Louis Braves
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leag ... 71964.html
(click on the season numbers to see the roster).

Good stuff on the NHL channel -- tomorrow (Tues) 12:30 pm, the CHL final. The best European teams.
https://www.championshockeyleague.com/e ... -the-final

Yesterday (Sun pm), they had 2 really good documentaries on the great Soviet national teams.
only free version I could find --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsKan-o_lDk
(pay sites like Netflix, Amazon & Comcast have it with English subtitles)

this is the '80 Miracle, as told by the Soviet players.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gv34k

Also found this on youtube. Amazing what those great players endured
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsKan-o_lDk
Last edited by old salt on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I can imagine the curriculum for the day at these schools,

Period 1 - Forecheck Systems
Period 2 - D-zone Coverage
Period 3 - Power Play
Period 4 - Penalty Kill
Period 5 - Lunch
Period 6 - History (of Hockey)
Period 7 - Gym (Floor Hockey)
Period 8 - Game Planning, Film

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/two- ... ckey-game/
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Flyers are suddenly in the playoff rear view mirror after winning their 8th straight game. Inconceivable!

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

and that 8-game streak included a win over the Mighty Bruins! Wowsers!!

Their 20 year-old goalie call-up is burning it up (so far...)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm and that 8-game streak included a win over the Mighty Bruins! Wowsers!!

Their 20 year-old goalie call-up is burning it up (so far...)

We need a “like” button. Happy for you dis that season sucked thank goodness they turned it around. I may be heading to Philly for a game on 3/23 to see my Isles! Not sure if I am doing it yet. Will be at the Bruins vs Isles game that week too. Bunch of old friends getting together for both games... not sure my body can handle it!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NYR celebrating the 25th anniversary of the '94 Stanley Cup win:

What a great series that was!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 pm NYR celebrating the 25th anniversary of the '94 Stanley Cup win:

What a great series that was!

It was a great series. Rangers suck.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Nigel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 pmIt was a great series. Rangers suck.
I was thinking the same thing Nigel! It was nice watching the Rangers celebrate their fluke anniversary with a 3-0 loss to the Canes... Rangers Suck!

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Welp, sad that NYR & NJD are at the bottom of the Metropolitan Division. But there's about 1/3 of the season to go and mebbe there will be a miracle or 2 along the way. One can only hope ...

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Spending the weekend in TO and after a great dinner we watched the last half of the classic Leafs v Canadiens at Centre Bell on Hockey Night in Canada. Great game won in OT by Leafs on a magnificent backhanded shot by Tavares. How can Montreal had an ad on the boards for Coors Light instead of Molson?

FYI, if you’re in TO and like Portuguese seafood, Adega near the Eaton Centre is a good choice.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:01 am
Nigel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:27 pm

Welp, sad that NYR & NJD are at the bottom of the Metropolitan Division. But there's about 1/3 of the season to go and mebbe there will be a miracle or 2 along the way. One can only hope ...
I really miss the days of the "1940" chant. IMO the only thing better in sports was the old "Curse of the Bambino" thing. Great way to shut up the fan's of those two hated teams. Ahhh, the good old days.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Spittin’ chiclets!
:shock:

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Blues
Black Hawks
Flyers

All were last (31st) in the league in calendar year 2019. All got their mojo going and have a shot at a playoff spot. Crazy!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not a good night for Captain Toews - he was minus 3 in the loss to the Bruins. His opposite, Captain Bergeron, was plus 3.

B's lose Pasta for 2+ weeks. He injured his thumb at a sponsorship dinner. Are you kidding me???
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Bergeron is really the best of the best. Just heard a podcast where they were talking about how much respect he gets in the league.

Gotta be kidding me about Pasta! 😆

Another player I love but glad he is out a few weeks! I’m at Bruin vs Isles on 3/19 at the barn.

Not sure if you watch Game Of Thrones... but Pasta is the identical twin of Theon Greyjoy! I am reek!
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Het DDT, this one's for you...

In lieu of the Saints playoff lass, "blown calls" have been much discussed lately...

After a record streak, a blown call ended the 1979-80 Flyers’ quest for a third Stanley Cup

I don't remember this very well...in 1979-80, i was living in Boston and was a much bigger BBall fan at that time. Great era to be a Sixers fan, with the Philly-Boston hoops rivalry at its height...but the hockey rivalries of the time had a lot to do with the Flyers and a very good Isles team that ended up winning the Cup in 1980.

It's an interesting reminiscence of the series that year...and while no single call can ever really be pegged for a win or loss, it sounds like this one really stung Flyers fans of the day...

Interesting read, no?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am Het DDT, this one's for you...

In lieu of the Saints playoff lass, "blown calls" have been much discussed lately...

After a record streak, a blown call ended the 1979-80 Flyers’ quest for a third Stanley Cup

I don't remember this very well...in 1979-80, i was living in Boston and was a much bigger BBall fan at that time. Great era to be a Sixers fan, with the Philly-Boston hoops rivalry at its height...but the hockey rivalries of the time had a lot to do with the Flyers and a very good Isles team that ended up winning the Cup in 1980.

It's an interesting reminiscence of the series that year...and while no single call can ever really be pegged for a win or loss, it sounds like this one really stung Flyers fans of the day...

Interesting read, no?

I couldn’t read the article you linked Dis but I will tell you this. In 1980 I was a freshman in high school and my school was about a mile from the Coliseum. Those 4 years in Uniondale were like no other! I remember it well... Butchy was on sides if you ask me ;)

Here I am... I am going to guess around 1978 in my NY Islander home whites jersey I got for Christmas when I was in 6th grade. They bought it at the now defunct Herman’s Sporting Goods and I had to save up my own $ to get an emblem and the #5 and Potvin I wanted on it. By the time I saved enough money to get it done the jersey didn’t fit me anymore!

Isles vs Flyers games were some of the best I can remember. Great memories!
Attachments
75EBF964-75C6-440C-90A4-57DE080CEE63.jpeg
75EBF964-75C6-440C-90A4-57DE080CEE63.jpeg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 2436 times

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”