Navy 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2024

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:47 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:48 am
Abr2016 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 am That’s how we’ve always tried to attack Hop. Even back in 2016. They help all the way down to the crease. So if you lower the crease, you can throw back. We tried to do it for Casey Rees back then. Must be a Petro thing, and Koesterer, who played for him, runs it now.
I knew Petro was like that. The principle was crease slide when dodging alley, and AJ if beat topside.
whoever invented aj slides was a big fan of offense. slide from the crease, cover 2 from backside.
Not true….you are a bit old school, I have offenses that have tore apart dominant crease slide defenses, with designed options to attack the two slide.

I’m a big fan of defenses that do not slide or rotate unless the onball defender is torched or falls down. Own your damn matchup and and make the offensive player perfect. And if you do slide….slide to trap and stay on the double.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 am That’s how we’ve always tried to attack Hop. Even back in 2016. They help all the way down to the crease. So if you lower the crease, you can throw back. We tried to do it for Casey Rees back then. Must be a Petro thing, and Koesterer, who played for him, runs it now.
I knew Petro was like that. The principle was crease slide when dodging alley, and AJ if beat topside.
whoever invented aj slides was a big fan of offense. slide from the crease, cover 2 from backside.
It's hard to be a pure crease-slide defense these days ... too many offenses popping off the crease and going in and out of open sets.

Seeing more and more adjacent slide elements -- especially showing from X vs. low-wing dodges, when the dodger wins underneath. Allows the defense to lock the crease and keep six above the goal; invites the offense to pass to X and hang-up the defense. Many defenses happy to get hung up, let the clock run and wait for the attackman at X to push a side.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

EasyRider wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:57 pm
It's hard to be a pure crease-slide defense these days ... too many offenses popping off the crease and going in and out of open sets.

Seeing more and more adjacent slide elements -- especially showing from X vs. low-wing dodges, when the dodger wins underneath. Allows the defense to lock the crease and keep six above the goal; invites the offense to pass to X and hang-up the defense. Many defenses happy to get hung up, let the clock run and wait for the attackman at X to push a side.
Yep, even forcing player topside, into traps in certain portions of the field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'll play. hoo is guarding the easy flip to an adjacent mid in the screenshot above with adjacent covering crease. or with adjacent as the 1st slide? hoo has the middie ripping a 10 yard shot?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:19 pm
Not true….you are a bit old school, I have offenses that have tore apart dominant crease slide defenses, with designed options to attack the two slide.

I’m a big fan of defenses that do not slide or rotate unless the onball defender is torched or falls down. Own your damn matchup and and make the offensive player perfect. And if you do slide….slide to trap and stay on the double.
what does any of this have to do with aj slides?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:39 pm

i'll play. hoo is guarding the easy flip to an adjacent mid in the screenshot above with adjacent covering crease. or with adjacent as the 1st slide? hoo has the middie ripping a 10 yard shot?
that’s the entire point. The pole that was on the middie ripping should have never buried himself on the crease, he did because their defense knows crease is hot and going and apparently it was his responsibility.

Had crease never slid and pole on the middie ripper never buried himself, the AJ pole parked below GLE could have been there as a show slide. This would have forced no throw back to middie ripper, he would have had to carry deeper or pass behind to X.

The early unnecessary crease slide, forced a navy favorable 2v1, this was discussed in the snip post.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:45 pm

Your second sentence seems to make a statement that you want crease slide and cover 2 from backside. Is that not what you meant?
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:20 pm

Your second sentence seems to make a statement that you want crease slide and cover 2 from backside. Is that not what you meant?
the furthest guy(s) away from the ball as 2 slide responsibility?
yeah.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Great win for Navy at Hopkins! Now, Villanova on Tuesday evening. No let-downs, Middies, against a team that will likely be ready to go after a disappointing showing against Monmouth.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:27 pm

yeah.
That d you like can become rather problematic, why?, b/c when you send the backside as your 2, that exposes the backside (in a sexy shooting spot), which is another story and one we like as O coaches, but the broader complexity, is when the original 'hot' slides on ball, the backside 2 fills, then original 'hot' calls peel, now the peel guy is left to (i) recover all the way to the backside before the ball gets there (and god forbid a skip is thrown b/c you are toast now, or (ii) he has to recover to crease then bump the 2 back out where he originally came from...essentially beating the ball there while he is being forced to slide upfield (which is a no-no in coaching).

IMO, Newer position-less offenses (think hoops/hockey) are forcing the defenses hands to NOT commit-slide, rather show-slide, and make the ball carrier be perfect to beat you, deny/discourage those aj passes, and only go in certain areas of the field. In the JHU game, the OT goal is a prime example. Hewitt has been forced to beat his man 1v1 all season, defenses know he is shifty, like to 's' dodge, so they play him accordingly. In the snip I posted earlier you can see JHU slide early from crease and really for no reason, and yet Hewitt was dodging from a similar spot and JHU did not go....why? And this would be a great case to argue an AJ 'show/slide' by JHU #6 would have denied Hewitt that attempt. JHU #6 actually opens the door for Hewitt to run through as he drifts below GLE. https://x.com/LacrosseNetwork/status/17 ... 30565?s=20
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am Great win for Navy at Hopkins! Now, Villanova on Tuesday evening. No let-downs, Middies, against a team that will likely be ready to go after a disappointing showing against Monmouth.
Yes,let-downs can be dangerous after such a big emotional win. Villanova is a good team, well-constructed and well-coached. I would put them in the same category as Lehigh for Navy -- a winnable game that they won't win unless they can execute well. Villanova has a good FOGO so I don't think Navy can count on a big possession advantage (although I believe Hayashi will be over 50%), which means they'll need to take care of the ball and be efficient.

I watched the stream of Villanova v. Yale earlier in February and 'Nova gave Yale all they could handle en route to a 2-goal Yale victory. Most of their shots come from their attack trio with #10 (Licata), who is a good shooter and feeder, and #28 (Michener), who is more of a shooter, leading the way both with about 30 points so far (between 4-5 ppg). Team is averaging about 11.5 goals per game. Solid team defense, disciplined (very few penalties) and very good face-off guy (coming in at 62%). They have struggled on EMO so far at 12% on the year, and the goalkeeper is at 44% so those are two areas of potential vulnerability. (They also have not been super efficient on clears, coming in at about 80%, but if Navy isn't doing a hard ride that may not be relevant.)

I see it matching up this way:
Settled offense: Slight edge Villanova but close
Settled defense: Slight edge Villanova but close
Faceoffs: Slight edge Navy (but probably close)
Goaltending: Edge to Navy
EMO: Edge to Navy (but 'Nova does not commit many penalties)
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am Great win for Navy at Hopkins! Now, Villanova on Tuesday evening. No let-downs, Middies, against a team that will likely be ready to go after a disappointing showing against Monmouth.
Yes,let-downs can be dangerous after such a big emotional win. Villanova is a good team, well-constructed and well-coached. I would put them in the same category as Lehigh for Navy -- a winnable game that they won't win unless they can execute well. Villanova has a good FOGO so I don't think Navy can count on a big possession advantage (although I believe Hayashi will be over 50%), which means they'll need to take care of the ball and be efficient.

I watched the stream of Villanova v. Yale earlier in February and 'Nova gave Yale all they could handle en route to a 2-goal Yale victory. Most of their shots come from their attack trio with #10 (Licata), who is a good shooter and feeder, and #28 (Michener), who is more of a shooter, leading the way both with about 30 points so far (between 4-5 ppg). Team is averaging about 11.5 goals per game. Solid team defense, disciplined (very few penalties) and very good face-off guy (coming in at 62%). They have struggled on EMO so far at 12% on the year, and the goalkeeper is at 44% so those are two areas of potential vulnerability. (They also have not been super efficient on clears, coming in at about 80%, but if Navy isn't doing a hard ride that may not be relevant.)

Smells like a 12-11 or 11-10 type of affair.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 am

yeah.
That d you like can become rather problematic, why?, b/c when you send the backside as your 2, that exposes the backside (in a sexy shooting spot), which is another story and one we like as O coaches, but the broader complexity, is when the original 'hot' slides on ball, the backside 2 fills, then original 'hot' calls peel, now the peel guy is left to (i) recover all the way to the backside before the ball gets there (and god forbid a skip is thrown b/c you are toast now, or (ii) he has to recover to crease then bump the 2 back out where he originally came from...essentially beating the ball there while he is being forced to slide upfield (which is a no-no in coaching).

IMO, Newer position-less offenses (think hoops/hockey) are forcing the defenses hands to NOT commit-slide, rather show-slide, and make the ball carrier be perfect to beat you, deny/discourage those aj passes, and only go in certain areas of the field. In the JHU game, the OT goal is a prime example. Hewitt has been forced to beat his man 1v1 all season, defenses know he is shifty, like to 's' dodge, so they play him accordingly. In the snip I posted earlier you can see JHU slide early from crease and really for no reason, and yet Hewitt was dodging from a similar spot and JHU did not go....why? And this would be a great case to argue an AJ 'show/slide' by JHU #6 would have denied Hewitt that attempt. JHU #6 actually opens the door for Hewitt to run through as he drifts below GLE. https://x.com/LacrosseNetwork/status/17 ... 30565?s=20
youth, my man... i compared aj sliding to crease sliding. not owning your matchup, or fake sliding/hedging.

sounds like we're on different pages here. good luck this spring if you're still at it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 am

yeah.

youth, my man... i compared aj sliding to crease sliding. not owning your matchup, or fake sliding/hedging.

sounds like we're on different pages here. good luck this spring if you're still at it.
roger that
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am

Smells like a 12-11 or 11-10 type of affair.
Let's go Navy! Massey ratings gives Villanova a 63% win probability but predicts a one-goal margin. I think your score prediction looks good, gymman.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I just made a thread for this evening's game. Come check it out!
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

Damn. Didn’t see that coming. Consistency has been a huge issue. At least we get a breather this weekend with Holy Cross
lorin

Post by lorin »

Abr2016 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:08 pm Damn. Didn’t see that coming. Consistency has been a huge issue. At least we get a breather this weekend with Holy Cross
I am sure Holy Cross is saying at least we can get our first win.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

....our offense MUST change and adapt to this era's type of lacrosse. It's why I had Nova spotting us 4 or more.

Amplo (around the 3:55 mark), acknowledges why, and further explains how it disrupts defenses. Whether he realizes it or not, he explains why the flow/motion offense is crucial in this era, yet we do not do it. He agrees that style of offense forces you to slide early, but that is exactly what that offensive style wants you to do, b/c the ball moves far faster than a body ever will....and the moment you slide, the advantage goes to the offense. It becomes rather hard for a defense to recover after a slide when the the other 5 offensive players are flowing all over the field and NOT standing around for defense to 'read the room'; it is a frenetic state and the only way to adapt is through repetitive immersion. He is exactly right, your on ball defenders have to be able control the ball carrier and your supporting defensive principles help that on ball defender.

I can see where Cottle is introducing some of the flow/motion offense, especially when he goes deeper in the bench. It takes a year or two to develop players skills on both sides of the ball...it is stressful, there will be a ton of errors and turnovers, even losses, but the fruit of the labor is enjoyed after you trudge through the growing pain. And the most important part.....the players just have far more fun, which elevates their game.

~Livy
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Youth, you & I have been around this game a long time and know Cottle well(I played against him when he was HC at Loyola in the 80's). He was the king of inverting his middies and stubbornly sticking to that system despite scoring 5-6 goals a game--even when he had loads of talent at Maryland. Not a fan of his O strategy, but Amplo was sort of left in a bind when Phipps left late in the cycle. I thought after the Hop win that the Mids were playing looser and extending the defense effectively. Navy has some guys that can real snipe, they don't need to force it inside and try to get layups every possession.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”