D1 Mens Lacrosse
Dip&Dunk

Re: Navy 2024

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Yes!!!!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:42 pmYes!!!!
GO NAVY! Rarely have I watched a more satisfying win. I'm going to have to replay this one. WOW. Congratulations to the Mids -- players, families, coaches.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Congratulations
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Great win by NAVY. Are the 2 Service academies, after this great win, the story of the 2024 season.

Army #1 and a great win over a top ten team by Navy.

OR is PARITY the real story of 2024. I've never seen wilder results so early in the D1 season.

Navy was +7.5 going into this game and won outright.

Devastating loss for JHU at HOME. Wow.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
molo

Post by molo »

Big win for the Mids. Amplo couldn’t believe the no call on the play by Avilés on the face-off.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

outstanding win Middies!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Congrats, and yes to parity in general this season, but the Mids play the Jays tough every year.
This year, they were the better team.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Great job Mids!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I hope the Amplo-doubters on here will all give him kudos for tonight! Will my hope come true?
old salt

Post by old salt »

#26 generated 3 transition goals. He was credited with assists on goals by #24 & #10 & had a hockey assist on #3's goal.
Hi to low

Post by Hi to low »

26=Beast
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

The way Hopkins social media self promotes their staff is just nauseating. It is very much a “look at me” culture. Feels good to silence them.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:48 am #26 generated 3 transition goals. He was credited with assists on goals by #24 & #10 & had a hockey assist on #3's goal.
Great highlighting of Peters’ excellent (and impactful) game — 3 ground balls, too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Navy boys getting blown out of the water, down 6-1. Weather the storm and cruise to victory. Guess they had not yet begun to fight when down 6-1, eh? Gritty performance, real nice win. Congrats.
Last edited by DMac on Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Credit where credit is due: liked their 2nd emo play and even their end of game set play after time out that did not score. Camera showed Cottle setting up both plays. Certainly room for offense to improve but starting to show signs (?!?).
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:53 am
Abr2016 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:22 am We beat them 2 years ago. Played them really tough last year I think it was tied 9-9 in the 4th. And we have our entire team back essentially.

Who knows maybe we surprise
Love the optimism…I often struggle with being pessimistic, because I have been an optimist for so long. 😂

Our defense is going to get one helluva work out tonight. I am not confident they have had enough exposure to Hops offensive style and flow to be able to keep up for 4 quarters. It’s going to take one strong willed disciplined game….which we are capable. Looking forward to the game.

earN*It
Great team win last. Defense did what it must do, offense did what it had, and Faceoff was pivotal....allowing for 3 more added possession and no-easy make it take it momentum swings, which could have been killer if that 1st quarter kept bleeding.

As Old Salt notes.....transition and 'in the grey' play was huge last night. That FO goal to start the third quarter can not overlooked, that was a monumental shot of adrenaline in Navy's favor, with a gut punch to JHU players, tying the game right out of the locker room.

Not knowing all the players tendencies on JHU, it stood out to me while watching, that many were primarily looking to see where 40 was, as if he is our shooter. It's a good thing he was not shooting on target last night, went 3 for 12.

Another observation, that will not show up in the stat sheet, is Cottle. In an interview earlier in the season, one of the players mentioned something like he was the revered grandpa, the one that exuded wisdom and calmness. That was clear last night on the sidelines, while Amplo and Orsen could be heard in DTA from University Blvd, Cottle represents that which is engrained to the MIDS in preparation for war; a healthy balance.

For example: with 1:28 remaining in the 2nd, Navy calls TO after JHU cleared, then immediately turns it over after Norton takes away the ball from Grimes. Cottle calmly drew up a nice play that was from the high wing Something also noticeable and rarely seen (historically) on a Navy sideline was the Head Coach NOT anywhere near the offensive huddle, giving Cottle his time with his players.

The play he drew up was so simple and took clear advantage of a flaw in JHU's defense (see below). He observed JHU likes to slide early from the crease, even if not warranted, the Pole that was on Swanson in the middle of the field, sunk in to cover the crease as Haley dodged down the wing, Haley drew that crease slide, which forced the pole that was originally on Swanson to have to cover the crease, which left Swanson wide open, on the throw back, with this strong hand, about 10 yards out. heading into the locker room winning qtr 2, with momentum on your side. Add in the FO goal to start the 3rd and you are now in the head of your opponent, and they begin to play a bit tighter.

Can the busses break down more often? ;) :lol:

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

That’s how we’ve always tried to attack Hop. Even back in 2016. They help all the way down to the crease. So if you lower the crease, you can throw back. We tried to do it for Casey Rees back then. Must be a Petro thing, and Koesterer, who played for him, runs it now.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 am That’s how we’ve always tried to attack Hop. Even back in 2016. They help all the way down to the crease. So if you lower the crease, you can throw back. We tried to do it for Casey Rees back then. Must be a Petro thing, and Koesterer, who played for him, runs it now.
I knew Petro was like that. The principle was crease slide when dodging alley, and AJ if beat topside.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

@youthathletics, fantastic post, as usual -- to bring in the "telestrator" is next level! Great observation on that goal -- I watched portions of the game again this morning (I liked the announcing pairing of Quint and Sheehan Stanwick a lot btw) and that goal jumped out; learning from your post that you could see that Cottle had diagnosed the tendency and drawn up the play adds just a little bit more.

A few more observations (some expanding on points made by others):
  • Agree that Jackson Peters, #26, was a huge force in midfield transition -- not just for the two assists on the books and the "hockey assist" but for making good decisions by pulling the ball back out when he didn't think he had a space AND for being the utility guy on the clear -- he fielded a one-hopper clear from Daly in the waning moments that was as key a play as anything in the game;
  • Dan Daly in net -- 5 saves in the fourth quarter and some second half doorstop saves, didn't let the short hops on his clear derail the rest of his game and hung in there;
  • Zach Hayashi! JHU is no pushover at the X; they were just above 50% coming in after a very tough early schedule and had percentages over 50% against some good opponents (Towson, UVA, Georgetown, Loyola). Hayashi not only won 13 of 23; not only scored an unassisted FOGO juice goal to tie the game up 6-6 early in the second half; but ALSO won the face-off in overtime giving Navy the winning possession.
    Ghobriel's transfer could have been pretty tough so to have a first year do so well (and at a service academy with all the extra pressure on plebes) is extraordinary.
  • Garrett Degnon, #40 for JHU, has been JHU's go-to guy. He came in shooting 36% but shot 25% (3 for 12) in his shooting last night and the Navy poles getting on his hands after his early goals -- mostly Bonitz had the coverage -- was a factor in limiting the quality of his shots after the first quarter. Degnon was 2 for 4 in the first quarter, 1 for 8 in the last three quarters.
  • Navy team defense -- holding Hop to three goals in the final three periods was pretty amazing.
Again, just a great win. This has been such a fun lacrosse season so far and how great for Navy to get in on the excitement with a big upset in a rivalry game (and credit to all the Navy faithful who believed that they'd give Hop all they could handle).
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:48 am
Abr2016 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:35 am That’s how we’ve always tried to attack Hop. Even back in 2016. They help all the way down to the crease. So if you lower the crease, you can throw back. We tried to do it for Casey Rees back then. Must be a Petro thing, and Koesterer, who played for him, runs it now.
I knew Petro was like that. The principle was crease slide when dodging alley, and AJ if beat topside.
whoever invented aj slides was a big fan of offense. slide from the crease, cover 2 from backside.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”