~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm Nice win today against a bad LaFayette team. Love the fact that changes were made and boys responded. Minicus with 9 points. James, Poitras and Heuston with 3 each. Freshman Trent Turner with his first game action with a goal and assist (both when game was close). Dixon with an early goal. Maybe Van is reading this site (doubt it). Let’s go on a win streak as the Patriot League is wide open.
Lafeyette isnt a bad team, they've had some close games this year and took it to Army and Colgate for portions of their games. Respect everyone but fear no one. That being said, dont forget that Lafeyette was leading by 2 at some point in this game.

Regarding personnel - Due to Higgins being injured i think MVA and Toomey decided to insert to newer guys in the rotation. I also think maybe they had a really good week of practice to get their minutes. Matty Dixon scored on a nice step down, with Trent Turner showing speed on dodges to his left. His shot on the run was nice. Brady west got time as did Will McCullough. The Ball movement seemed a touch faster as they rotated i think 3 guys to work behind the goal (James, Lindsey and then Poitras). Looks like they use Minicus as the guy up top of their formation sets. Man up was effective. Pacheco won over 50% of faceoffs.

The only only slight downside i remember was that Staudt didnt have too many saves in the 1st half. Ideally down the line i'd like that to be higher/better (along with the team playing more consistent like what we saw yesterday).

First PL win in the books. They're going to need a lot of things to go right for them to potentially make a top 2 seed in the PL tournament
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Needed win for the Hounds. Hopefully this will be the game that gets them back on track. Couple thoughts;
1.) it was a perfect game to watch from afar. The weather looked awful and kudos to the players and coaches for pushing through.
2.) immediate juice goal & assist by Dixon & Turner brought the energy the bench needed while putting others on notice. Produce or move aside. Hope they can continue to produce.
3.) offense was balanced, solid movement & spacing. Took the right shots with accuracy against a solid goalie. Been waiting for Minicus to have a day like that.
4.) defensively I was worried in the 1st half. Unwarranted slides and bad off ball. Totally different unit in the 2nd half and big shout out to the man down unit. They stood strong against some questionable calls.
5.) faceoffs were solid and Pacheco has improved week to week. The Hounds will need the dual option as they get deeper into conference play.
6.) goalie play has been fun to watch this year. Even the games were Staudt came out the next guy up made stops. Congrats to the goalie room!

One game at a time. Go Hounds!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

It was a solid win The offense looked much better We need to stack some wins and continue to improve

Patriot league wide open? I would say Army, BU and Navy are the front runners Then colgate Then Loyola and possibly Lehigh this week will give us more of an indication to where the team is I would not say there is parity

Hopefully we can put a four game win streak going into navy and army
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Big game tomorrow night. Can’t wait to see if last weeks win was a fluke or whether the offense has finally found it’s groove. Liked that second line mid group of Turner, Higgins and Dixon. Love how Heuston and Kamish balled out last week. Attack was great. Now let’s get our first win streak tomorrow.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola worked hard. And played really well to make up for the 7W 19L faceoff discrepancy.

That's gotta be the recipe For success moving forward.

Loyola was 25 off 26 on clearing.
Lehigh was 17 of 21.

Loyola only had 13 turnovers
Lehigh was forced into 24.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Crazy season. Minicus with nine points last week and none tonight. Poitras and James were beasts. Weird game. Lost FO battle and ground ball battle (although GBs were better in second half). Defense played well and offense did enough. Kamish and Heuston with big goals. On to next week. Alumni weekend v a not very good Bucknell team at home. Who’s coming? Looking forward to seeing my former hounds.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 pm Loyola worked hard. And played really well to make up for the 7W 19L faceoff discrepancy.

That's gotta be the recipe For success moving forward.

Loyola was 25 off 26 on clearing.
Lehigh was 17 of 21.

Loyola only had 13 turnovers
Lehigh was forced into 24.
+1 The hounds played well Don’t look past the next two games keep stacking wins
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

A couple of adjustments that I noticed were the ride back efforts and early defensive slides. With the faceoff discrepancy, the hounds will need to find possessions to mitigate the losses at the dot. Really would like to see an immediate counter vs. a clamp to muck up the faceoff and make it a 50/50. Probably easier said then done.
Offensively the Hounds big names made an impact, great job by Poitras & James. They’ll need to continue to play at a high level for the remainder of the season. When the Hounds goals are assisted they win games.
Defensively, i’ve enjoyed watching Reynolds, glad he chose Loyola. The close unit really seems to working well together and Staudt is an anchor. Short sticks are learning every week and improving. Their success could be pivotal if Loyola hopes to play for a conference title. Could things be looking up?

Go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I’m not able to watch the game rn so I’m just folllowing the box score.

Is staudt not playing? I see watkinson in. Did the team just give up a 9-0 run to bucknell???
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Gritty win.
First half was not good.
But the second was really nice to see.

Feeling better about the Colgate loss. They are currently up 6 and making Army look quite pedestrian. Toying with them at this point with 2 back to back BtB scoring plays
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Made the game today and what a game it was. Gritty win for the Hounds. The offense stayed steady and didn’t press when they were down big at the half. Defensively they were down Bean at close & Stout in the goal. Bucknell didn’t seem to recognize this until mid way through the 1st quarter, made some adjustments and they dominated the 2nd. Great job by the defense to lock them down the 2nd half. Great effort by all the young men. Congrats to Toomey for achieving the most wins by a coach in men’s lacrosse history. Go Hounds!
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:24 pm Made the game today and what a game it was. Gritty win for the Hounds. The offense stayed steady and didn’t press when they were down big at the half. Defensively they were down Bean at close & Stout in the goal. Bucknell didn’t seem to recognize this until mid way through the 1st quarter, made some adjustments and they dominated the 2nd. Great job by the defense to lock them down the 2nd half. Great effort by all the young men. Congrats to Toomey for achieving the most wins by a coach in men’s lacrosse history. Go Hounds!
Alumni day. Got to see a few classmates. Jeckyl and Hyde. Up 5-1 and then down 10-5. 9 goals on 9 shots on goal. Don’t think we had a shot on goal until we scored at end of half. Wide open shots. Missed Staudt badly. Offense was non existent also. Don’t think the Bucknell goalie made a save in second period.

Turner the freshman had a nice goal and he looks legit. After that though he rarely touched the ball. James, Poitras and Minicus got us started and got us back in the game. Heuston and Kamish with big goals. Higgins, with a brace on his knee, just doesn’t seem to have much to offer. Binney was non existent. Lindsey, back at X where he belong, had a very good day.

Defensively we were brutal for about 15 minutes. After that they played great. Couple of bad clears early but rectified that in second half. Hall with a huge Goal off faceoff. First of his career really turned game around.

Was shocked at how few players Bucknell dressed. What happened?

Big win and Holy Cross next. With Army losing to Colgate I really think Patriot Leage bid to tournament is up for grabs.
Hound93

Post by Hound93 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:43 am
Hound93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:24 pm Made the game today and what a game it was. Gritty win for the Hounds. The offense stayed steady and didn’t press when they were down big at the half. Defensively they were down Bean at close & Stout in the goal. Bucknell didn’t seem to recognize this until mid way through the 1st quarter, made some adjustments and they dominated the 2nd. Great job by the defense to lock them down the 2nd half. Great effort by all the young men. Congrats to Toomey for achieving the most wins by a coach in men’s lacrosse history. Go Hounds!
Alumni day. Got to see a few classmates. Jeckyl and Hyde. Up 5-1 and then down 10-5. 9 goals on 9 shots on goal. Don’t think we had a shot on goal until we scored at end of half. Wide open shots. Missed Staudt badly. Offense was non existent also. Don’t think the Bucknell goalie made a save in second period.

Turner the freshman had a nice goal and he looks legit. After that though he rarely touched the ball. James, Poitras and Minicus got us started and got us back in the game. Heuston and Kamish with big goals. Higgins, with a brace on his knee, just doesn’t seem to have much to offer. Binney was non existent. Lindsey, back at X where he belong, had a very good day.

Defensively we were brutal for about 15 minutes. After that they played great. Couple of bad clears early but rectified that in second half. Hall with a huge Goal off faceoff. First of his career really turned game around.

Big win and Holy Cross next. With Army losing to Colgate I really think Patriot Leage bid to tournament is up for grabs.
Agree, if this team is to make a run in the PL tourney they’ll need more production from the midfield. The good news is that our attack line is more than capable of inverting and acting as middies. Higgins and Kamish just aren’t as healthy as years back and play more of a contributing role. I’d like to see the offense run plays to set up open step downs for them. They can still shoot! Turner needs more time. He is capable of beating a SSDM and so far so good with his stick. Good to see Lindsey have a solid game. If he can limit his turnovers and play with confidence he could also be scorer down the stretch.
Defense fell into a zone during the 2nd and Bucknell was ready for it. Their sharp shooters stood 15 yards out in the gap and took hands free shoots. Really tough for a new goalie who hasn’t see much live time. Once they moved back to man they played great.

Regarding your question about Bucknell’s short bench, I overheard some Bison parents saying that they had many players quit a couple weeks ago. Didn’t hear the reason, just mentioned that it’s been a crazy month for them.

Go Hounds!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Hound93 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:54 am

Agree, if this team is to make a run in the PL tourney they’ll need more production from the midfield. The good news is that our attack line is more than capable of inverting and acting as middies. Higgins and Kamish just aren’t as healthy as years back and play more of a contributing role. I’d like to see the offense run plays to set up open step downs for them. They can still shoot! Turner needs more time. He is capable of beating a SSDM and so far so good with his stick. Good to see Lindsey have a solid game. If he can limit his turnovers and play with confidence he could also be scorer down the stretch.
Defense fell into a zone during the 2nd and Bucknell was ready for it. Their sharp shooters stood 15 yards out in the gap and took hands free shoots. Really tough for a new goalie who hasn’t see much live time. Once they moved back to man they played great.

Regarding your question about Bucknell’s short bench, I overheard some Bison parents saying that they had many players quit a couple weeks ago. Didn’t hear the reason, just mentioned that it’s been a crazy month for them.

Go Hounds!
Welcome back to both of you who are alumni of the program! I am sure that it was amazing reliving memories with your college teammates.

on the game side, thats the 2nd best comeback i've seen live apart from this team. the scoring was balanced throughout the starters.
James 4G
Minicus 3G
Lindsey 1G 2A
Poitras 3G
Kamish 1G 2A. on the note about Kamish i think the goal he scored he showed a bright Flash of his Freshman year self from 2020. That burst of speed off the endline to the left wing to shoot and score is vintage from not only his highlight tape but also reminiscent of his first game against UVA. Lets not forget he had two bad injuries where his knee was swelling so BADLY it had to have fluid removed. Still he shows brief flashes of his old self (perhaps its a confidence or psychosomatic thing). He can still produce goals from the outside.

Bucknell is not a bad team at all, in fact i think that team is a part of the deepest PL we've seen in a long time. They will be a handful for the next 2-3 years with their shooters and their speed. The many players quitting though is interesting..

Staudt apparently was out with a concussion but a lot of the congratulations goes to Max Watkinson. Got his first start, had a decent first quarter then got pulled. To then be put back in and make some key saves not only shows the staff's confidence in him but a lot of resolve within himself. All that effort got his first career win!

After today the team could be playing with more confidence, as they stayed the course and stuck with their plans. Keep giving runs to Turner, Dixon and that 3rd midfield line. Its different looks for the opposing teams. Onto holy cross who at one point lead Lehigh yesterday.

A lot has to go right over the next 3 weeks for Hounds to get a #2 seed. Possible scenarios
1. Loyola Wins out the regular season (or at least takes 2 out of 3 from Holy cross, navy, army)
2. Navy beats Army as a fallback in case the Hounds dont beat Army
3. BU needs to lose two more PL games in order for Hounds to move in the pole position if Loyola does win out
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Congrats to Loyola fans. Cam Spencer wins natty with UConn, but it all started in B-More in Boys Latin, and Loyola. Talented set of of brother for sure.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:23 am
Hound93 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:54 am

Go Hounds!
Welcome back to both of you who are alumni of the program! I am sure that it was amazing reliving memories with your college teammates.

on the game side, thats the 2nd best comeback i've seen live apart from this team. the scoring was balanced throughout the starters.
James 4G
Minicus 3G
Lindsey 1G 2A
Poitras 3G
Kamish 1G 2A. on the note about Kamish i think the goal he scored he showed a bright Flash of his Freshman year self from 2020. That burst of speed off the endline to the left wing to shoot and score is vintage from not only his highlight tape but also reminiscent of his first game against UVA. Lets not forget he had two bad injuries where his knee was swelling so BADLY it had to have fluid removed. Still he shows brief flashes of his old self (perhaps its a confidence or psychosomatic thing). He can still produce goals from the outside.

Bucknell is not a bad team at all, in fact i think that team is a part of the deepest PL we've seen in a long time. They will be a handful for the next 2-3 years with their shooters and their speed. The many players quitting though is interesting..

Staudt apparently was out with a concussion but a lot of the congratulations goes to Max Watkinson. Got his first start, had a decent first quarter then got pulled. To then be put back in and make some key saves not only shows the staff's confidence in him but a lot of resolve within himself. All that effort got his first career win!

After today the team could be playing with more confidence, as they stayed the course and stuck with their plans. Keep giving runs to Turner, Dixon and that 3rd midfield line. Its different looks for the opposing teams. Onto holy cross who at one point lead Lehigh yesterday.

A lot has to go right over the next 3 weeks for Hounds to get a #2 seed. Possible scenarios
1. Loyola Wins out the regular season (or at least takes 2 out of 3 from Holy cross, navy, army)
2. Navy beats Army as a fallback in case the Hounds dont beat Army
3. BU needs to lose two more PL games in order for Hounds to move in the pole position if Loyola does win out
First off, Congratulations to Coach Toomey, well deserved

Great comeback for sure, but they should have never been in that situation, with that being said it was good to see them fight back and win the game. Bucknell is an average team, every team plays Loyola like it is there super bowl.

Holy Cross should give the coaches a chance to rest some players and to prepare them for Army and Navy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am Congrats to Loyola fans. Cam Spencer wins natty with UConn, but it all started in B-More in Boys Latin, and Loyola. Talented set of of brother for sure.
Let's just wrap this up, full circle, and have Cam switch sports and try to play in the PLL...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am Congrats to Loyola fans. Cam Spencer wins natty with UConn, but it all started in B-More in Boys Latin, and Loyola. Talented set of of brother for sure.
Let's just wrap this up, full circle, and have Cam switch sports and try to play in the PLL...
that would be like going back to middle school at this point. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Anyone know if Staudt, Roman and other injured guys are returning this week?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:13 pm Ok age is an answer that at least supports it. Though I don’t know the Brundage relates to his kids any better but maybe. Once you’re in your 30s I don’t see anyone really relating well.

(Btw a Hobart person I know who’s got info insists Patterson was changed to 4 star but I don’t see it and don’t care-current FR at Bart-not to mention the stars are circular and backwards looking as many on this page have discussed historically)

Im not picking any fights I just think blaming the new guy an outsider quickly doesn’t make sense or at least isn’t very thoughtful. Someone pointed out maybe Kram that the problem is larger than one person and that’s most likely correct but folks like easy buttons I guess. Just see hysterical talk here. And trusting a parent posting while their kid is in the team is a shaky proposition hopefully you understand.

Maybe MVA is not what he was. Maybe Charlie isn’t. You ever see someone get stale 20yrs into a gig even a talented person because I have all over the place. But I think you guys all need to look a lot deeper and may be disappointed if you just swap ACs and things don’t improve.

BTW don’t know what would be different but the NCAa has refused to allow Hobart to give scholarships since they were effectively forced to move to D1 in 1995. Have appealed for same status as Hop as the only other grandfathered lacrosse school and if you know real lacrosse history you know half Hobart’s D3 schedule in the 80s was D1 teams. we’ve made kids pay full freight the whole
Time until now. I know of a few we were the #2 and it flat out came down to
Money w couldn’t offer who were 4 stars. Only now that the NIL world exists did they allow us to give scholarships. Some people like a little complain at Rutgers who doesn’t know his head from his a** likes to take baby shots as a clear non athlete draping himself in others glory but folks who care about lacrosse history typically appreciate what Hobart has had to do just to be at this level and to make occasional playoffs and everything. Else with the wind in their faces. Shared conferees w Loyola and both been in PL, I’d think there’s a lot of reasons to appreciate each others programs but I know kids and people under 30 think things like that hip hop started in 2014…”man I don’t know who all y’all are!”

https://youtu.be/XmuGBNBBu3A?si=DEDvUL5zUWm-q1Na
I played for Toomey and have a few small annoyances with some things he does and doesn't do with the program. But he has a proven method and system and type of player that he looks for and that has won him a national title at a somewhat niche school. I have not.

I can tell you the school will NOT remove Toomey because of what he has done for the college and how he runs his program. It meshes with the school's mission and vision for a Mid-sized Catholic University. He does a great job with the boys off the field. And that has value to the university. It's his job for as long as he wants it. Period.

I also understand that fans are calling for MVA's head, because it's more palatable than calling for Toomey's.

The angst on these boards comes in to play because Toomey is incredibly loyal to the other coaches on staff. And MVA is the newest addition and the downturn in the offense coincides with his arrival. But mind you, the downturn comes on the heels of a national title and Pat Spencer. So is MVA getting stale or underperforming? Maybe. Maybe he just doesn't have the talent he had at UVA. So the critique on the lack of development could have legs.

I just don't think a change happens unless MVA retires.

Additionally, there are also a lot of hurt feelings on this board. Are they really parents of players? Maybe. But given the history here, I'd put more money on former players who didn't measure up in MVA's eyes. Either way, take those personal critiques with a grain of salt.
Word. I’m with you on most all of this and was where I was coming from more or less originally. Challenging the lazy and comfortable approach of “let’s get after MVA but never ever question Charlie and we must have a scapegoat so easiest is the new guy”- a dumb and intellectually backwards approach.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”