D1 Mens Lacrosse
Formerhound

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by Formerhound »

Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 am
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:02 pm
Houndfan73 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:36 pm
Formerhound wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:27 pm Keys to tomorrow’s game:
1. Faceoff: BU’s two FOGOs (Fritz 59% and Cardamone 37%) have been very inconsistent this year. Fritz has been above 75% in two of his last four games but under 30% in the other two. Calderon hasn’t been above 40% all year.
2. Clears: 10 man ride gave us fits earlier this year as well as last year in both games v BU. Need Sally and McGillicudy to take charge and break through some short sticks to clear the ball. Too many times we’ve tried to have a long stick try and pass the ball over the midline and have it turn into a turnover.
3. Turnovers on offense. Especially if we aren’t winning the FO battle. Can’t have 10 turnovers on offense like we had last week. Not worried about Evan James. He had a bad game. Am worried a bit about Davis Lindsey as he’s been a turnover machine the past few games (like last year).
4. Midfielders have to generate some offense. Heuston was a beast in week 1 and last week. Was invisible in between (injured?). Kamish, Binney (except for one game), Murphy and Higgins (may be injured- got hurt last week and have not heard whether he’s playing) have been no-shows all season.
5. Close D can’t get stuck watching the ball. BU has a couple attack that can really score. Perfecto and D’Alto have combined for 39 goals and Kelley has another 13. Can’t have the free 6-8 yard shots like the past few weeks. Staudt is good but nobody stops 50% of those.

Prediction: Hounds 10-8.
Of course no bullet point on the attack. Certainly teams don’t rely on the attack to score the majority of the offensive points. You’re an idiot.
The attack is not getting any help from the midfield That is former hounds point They are not generating slides because they are not a threat it has been a while since a Loyola middie could beat his man or take a 15-20 step down

Played better against BU But we are sharing the basement with Holy Cross

Lafayette and Lehigh will be competitive games need to win at least one of those Army and navy will be tough
And vice versa. I watch other teams…lots of other games….the attack is dangerous, beats their close defenders, draws slides and generate step down looks for middies. Hardly ever happens with this team. Do you think teams are worried about this attack? Maybe Minicus last year possibly. Did Duke beat us because their middies were so damn great?? Ha. No. Zawada had 6 assists and O’Neil and Williams were fantastic. Obviously there’s blame to go around on this team but I just don’t understand these posts blaming half the offense and not the other half. Clearly an ulterior motive here. Saying “the attack has scored” is just plain stupid Of course it’s scored some….it’s the f$&king attack!!! It better score…but it ain’t scoring enough
I agree with you. I’ve pointed out many times in the past few weeks how the attack is turning the ball over way too much. Lindsey had two good games in a row. Since then he hasn’t scored and has 12 turnovers in last four games. Minicus had three goals Saturday v BU but two were late when game was already over. He seemed like he was pissed at the score and just ripped shots like he did last year. They are basically running four attack (James, Minicus, Poitras and Lindsey) with one of them playing midfield. The midfield has been in a state of disarray all year. Movement between 1st and 2nd lines but nothing stable. Kamish had his best game in two years v BU. Two sophomore middies scored on EMU. Finally a change on EMU? We’ll see what happens this week but this staff has to figure out things. Too much talent to be 2-6.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 am
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 am Seems like far from Geneva struggles with quantifiable facts As former hound says the eye test gives you all the information you need

There is a problem with the Loyola offense I would say formerhound and myself are more vertical or even lateral in his thinking

Far from Geneva needs to take the blinders off and see that Mva is part of the problem re watching Colgate tells you a lot about the development or the lack there of of the players There is no accountability for poor performances as laxfamforlife has said

Looks like a wet one today Maybe give the hounds a chance
Quantifiable facts and eye test in the same sentence. This is the delusion you guys have fallen into now. Good luck. Looks like you’re gonna eat your own this season and it’s will be ugly. Your problem not mine or the guys you are cooling in about.
What delusions do we have? You are the only one that keeps defending a program that is in decline.

Why dont you give us your state of the team. The pros and the cons. You probably wont because it is easier to attack person rather than debate the issues
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 am
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:26 am Seems like far from Geneva struggles with quantifiable facts As former hound says the eye test gives you all the information you need

There is a problem with the Loyola offense I would say formerhound and myself are more vertical or even lateral in his thinking

Far from Geneva needs to take the blinders off and see that Mva is part of the problem re watching Colgate tells you a lot about the development or the lack there of of the players There is no accountability for poor performances as laxfamforlife has said

Looks like a wet one today Maybe give the hounds a chance
Quantifiable facts and eye test in the same sentence. This is the delusion you guys have fallen into now. Good luck. Looks like you’re gonna eat your own this season and it’s will be ugly. Your problem not mine or the guys you are cooling in about.
What delusions do we have? You are the only one that keeps defending a program that is in decline.

Why dont you give us your state of the team. The pros and the cons. You probably wont because it is easier to attack person rather than debate the issues
My state of the team is that the offense is in a state of panic. I really think that Van has lost this team. Just think about the EMU: 3/19 going into BU game. End of game when you’re down by 5 they put in two guys who haven’t played man up all season (Murphy and West) and they both score. I am very disappointed in VanArsdale. I’ve watched this offense deteriorate over the past four years. I’ve watched 4 star recruits come into the program and not develop or even play. I’ve watched freshman and sophomore’s get worse over the next 2-3 years. I have not seen anyone get better in his offense. He needs to be replaced. He either can’t recruit, can’t develop or can’t coach these kids that are coming to Loyola. That’s my state of the team. 2-6 with 8/10 starter from last year returning is reprehensible. This team ended last year playing well and almost made the tournament. One would have thought that with the core returning as well as the development of guys like Haberman (13 goals last year), Murphy, Cote, McGory and Dixon (both out last year with injuries) that they’d be at least as good as last year. What part of what I’ve said don’t you agree with?
laxdadj

Post by laxdadj »

So to FormerHound and others, who does Coach T hire as next OC? Go........
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

laxdadj wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:19 pm So to FormerHound and others, who does Coach T hire as next OC? Go........
Steve Brundridge at Hobart

Post by 1766 »

He would be an easy get too.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm He would be an easy get too.
Don't bet on that. Coach Brundage is the associate head coach, an endowed position at Hobart. If anything, I would think his next move would be an HC job.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am
Don't bet on that. Coach Brundage is the associate head coach, an endowed position at Hobart. If anything, I would think his next move would be an HC job.
If Cassese can go from HC @ Lehigh for 10+ yrs to Asst Coach - OC at Virginia, Brundage can move on from Hobart.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:12 am
If Cassese can go from HC @ Lehigh for 10+ yrs to Asst Coach - OC at Virginia, Brundage can move on from Hobart.
I didn't say it was impossible, I said to not bet on it. The ? is, would Loyola, or any other school come up with the $$ to get him to make essentially a lateral move in terms of position. If however an interesting HC position were to open, I wouldn't be surprised to see him seize the opportunity. Cassese going to UVA from Lehigh is a different magnitude of coaching move. It seems to me that Cassese's move is directly related to the eventual retirement of Danowski at Duke.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola's previous 2 coaches were guys who were previous 5-6 year Loyola assistants and associate head coaches.
Would Brundage want to take a lateral move with the goal of being HC in waiting at his alma mater, Loyola?
Not pushing Toomey out the door, but he is what, 55-ish? Who's to say what he wants to do in the next 5-10 years. I'd hope Loyola administration is communicating with Toomey and vice versa.
He's definitely a guy you keep on your radar at Loyola.

Post by 1766 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:12 am
Loyola is a higher profile job than Hobart. Recruiting is probably significantly easier as well.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

True, recruiting to the Charm city area can be more appealing than CNY. Hobart is finally allowed to offer athletic scholarships. We'll have the full 12.6 schollies to work with the '26 recruiting class. So, recruiting should become a bit easier. The big ? for Loyola is how satisfied are they with the way Twomey and staff are doing relative to the schools peers? Do you follow UNC's example and get rid of a good OC as a scape goat? Or does the admin clean hose and start with a clean slate? Both options have a knock on effect on recruits and potential recruits as well as team culture. I do expect that Brundage will eventually move on from Hobart, unless Raymond does before him. If Raymond were to move on, I would expect and encourage Hobart to give Brundage the HC job. Making a lateral position move would only make sense to me if it was fora top 10 team . Just my opinion, as are all of those on these pages.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

All good points OBM, but Hobart hasn’t been relevant in some time and Loyola is in a better conference(Army is #1 in country!). I'm NOT sure any assistant would consider Hobart -Loyola a lateral..
Last edited by FMUBart on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It can certainly be accomplished but lets think about what that really means. Charlie, around 20yrs in and now a few years removed from the excellence he has overseen on campus, would be asking or allocating substantial resources into a second straight higher paid AC. You replace MVA with anyone of Brundage or higher caliber and equivalent expense vs. a promising and talented but younger and cheaper alternative and you are putting your own neck on the line. If things don't break right with the replacement it gets super hard to continue to support Charlie.

So why does he make such a move?

And comparing Cassesse moving to UVA which I would argue is a highly idisyncractic incident - uh oh someone will be upset I used a $2 word
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:18 pm It can certainly be accomplished but lets think about what that really means. Charlie, around 20yrs in and now a few years removed from the excellence he has overseen on campus, would be asking or allocating substantial resources into a second straight higher paid AC. You replace MVA with anyone of Brundage or higher caliber and equivalent expense vs. a promising and talented but younger and cheaper alternative and you are putting your own neck on the line. If things don't break right with the replacement it gets super hard to continue to support Charlie.

So why does he make such a move?

And comparing Cassesse moving to UVA which I would argue is a highly idisyncractic incident - uh oh someone will be upset I used a $2 word
He makes such a move because they aren’t winning and haven’t developed talent on offense in a few years. Keeping the status quo could cause Charley’s job to be in danger. Toomey wants to win above anything
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Specifically Brundage or any more experienced, senior and expensive hire. Not any replacement. Does it make sense to go all in on another expensive AC at this stage in the question. In this scenario MVA doesn’t work so the argument that an expensive experienced guy is always a better hire would be incongruous. Is having an alum there worth the cost if it doesn’t work out?
See Martin, Malcolm
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:30 pm Specifically Brundage or any more experienced, senior and expensive hire. Not any replacement. Does it make sense to go all in on another expensive AC at this stage in the question. In this scenario MVA doesn’t work so the argument that an expensive experienced guy is always a better hire would be incongruous. Is having an alum there worth the cost if it doesn’t work out?
Winning solves a ton of problems. Loyola isn’t as good an academic school As most Patriot schools much less Ivy’s or many Big10. To get top recruits they need to show they have a program that gets them The opportunity to play in mid to late May. Without that they are a mid level program in the future. LAX is still huge here. Need to do something to turn this program around.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:30 pm Specifically Brundage or any more experienced, senior and expensive hire. Not any replacement. Does it make sense to go all in on another expensive AC at this stage in the question. In this scenario MVA doesn’t work so the argument that an expensive experienced guy is always a better hire would be incongruous. Is having an alum there worth the cost if it doesn’t work out?
Is keeping MVA worth the cost? This is setting up to be the worst season in years, if they cannot turn it around. Odds are that Toomey would never be fired for lack of performance. But is it worth the risk of keeping MVA?

I have to assume that MVA is getting paid pretty well by Loyola and I would expect more than Brundage is getting paid at Hobart. He is from the upstate area and it may take a lot to pull him away.

You have to admit there is a problem with the offense. Formerhound has stated many times that this talent pool should be producing more or at least meet the output they did last year. Something is wrong and MVA is the one in charge of the offense and the buck stops with him.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:41 am
Is keeping MVA worth the cost? This is setting up to be the worst season in years, if they cannot turn it around. Odds are that Toomey would never be fired for lack of performance. But is it worth the risk of keeping MVA?

I have to assume that MVA is getting paid pretty well by Loyola and I would expect more than Brundage is getting paid at Hobart. He is from the upstate area and it may take a lot to pull him away.

You have to admit there is a problem with the offense. Formerhound has stated many times that this talent pool should be producing more or at least meet the output they did last year. Something is wrong and MVA is the one in charge of the offense and the buck stops with him.
Brundage has an endowed seat who’s got a decent shot at Hobart’s HC gig when Raymond is surely fired in the next two years? Read the thread. You’re paying up again for an experienced AC when the last experienced AC who’s paid a lot is not working in the eyes here. It makes no sense to anyone who has to run an org or P&L the way it’s being tossed around here.

Then buck stops with Charlie not an assistant that’s just an absurd comment. He’s great but so was Urick, Petro and Desmond and what happened. Or JoePa, Bowden, etc. the point im making all along is it’s highly reductive to stare at MVA and say he’s the problem all is solved if we replace him. Then with who? Well we have you burn resources again on a high cost one? And you’re going to pay a premium for a guy who’s been on two sub .500 seasons and the stats won’t look good this year (tons of injuries the last three years of 30 or so games we’ve run our healthy starting six maybe 7-8 times since 21 - I think Brundage is good).

Oh…he’s an alum. You could get Matt Kerwick who looked like a rockstar running GTown O for years under Urick and a Hobart alum. Brundage > Kerwick as coach but point is thing a premium for an alum who looks good as an assistant is an expensive risk. So you want to go out and pay up for Brundage because he’s an alum but otherwise haven’t articulated why he fits but let’s go risk student fees on this move because results don’t fit what we hoped.

The players come because of Charlie. What if they aren’t as good as you think? Besides Poitras who’s clearly legit and Minicus but seay, Higgins and Kamish may not be playoff caliber starters.
See Martin, Malcolm
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:56 am
laxbro11 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:41 am

Brundage has an endowed seat who’s got a decent shot at Hobart’s HC gig when Raymond is surely fired in the next two years? Read the thread. You’re paying up again for an experienced AC when the last experienced AC who’s paid a lot is not working in the eyes here. It makes no sense to anyone who has to run an org or P&L the way it’s being tossed around here.

Then buck stops with Charlie not an assistant that’s just an absurd comment. He’s great but so was Urick, Petro and Desmond and what happened. Or JoePa, Bowden, etc. the point im making all along is it’s highly reductive to stare at MVA and say he’s the problem all is solved if we replace him. Then with who? Well we have you burn resources again on a high cost one? And you’re going to pay a premium for a guy who’s been on two sub .500 seasons and the stats won’t look good this year (tons of injuries the last three years of 30 or so games we’ve run our healthy starting six maybe 7-8 times since 21 - I think Brundage is good).

Oh…he’s an alum. You could get Matt Kerwick who looked like a rockstar running GTown O for years under Urick and a Hobart alum. Brundage > Kerwick as coach but point is thing a premium for an alum who looks good as an assistant is an expensive risk. So you want to go out and pay up for Brundage because he’s an alum but otherwise haven’t articulated why he fits but let’s go risk student fees on this move because results don’t fit what we hoped.

The players come because of Charlie. What if they aren’t as good as you think? Besides Poitras who’s clearly legit and Minicus but seay, Higgins and Kamish may not be playoff caliber starters.
Difference is age. MVA is 20 years older than Brundage. In addition in his four years at Hobart (which clearly can’t recruit like Loyola) his offense has been in top 25 GPG each year and his EMO has been top 20 twice and ranks 18th this year. That’s very good production from a younger coach who MAY be able to relate more to today’s athletes. Just watch MVA on the sidelines during a game. His interaction with players is nonexistent. His EMO is one of the worst in D1. His GPG is one of the worst in D1. He refuses to make changes. Is this due to stubbornness or due to talent? His recruitment of players is either bad or his development of the same players is poor. Sorry but I’ve watched way too many 4 star recruits not even play (or regress) while here over the past four years. In the past four years Van has gotten 12 4stars and 1 5star recruit on offense alone. Hobart, on the other hand, hasn’t had a 4 star recruit in over four years.

Lastly, Laxfam4life, who clearly has a kid on the team, consistently points out that MVA says one thing to the players and does another. Whether or not that is true you cannot ignore the results the past four years. From coming within 65 seconds and beating Duke to make it to Memorial Day weekend to 2-6 with a long pole goal from Reynolds being the difference of being 1-7. Changes need to be made.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”