~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by kramerica.inc »

Great start and finish to the ‘23 season for the hounds. Forgettable middle.

Fantastic core of talent set to return for 2024. Plenty to be excited about.

Who is coming back from injury?

Brown? Any others?

Any faceoff help in the pipeline/portal?
CU77

Re: ~Loyola University Greyhounds 2024~

Post by CU77 »

Last edited by CU77 on Tue May 09, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:40 am Great start and finish to the ‘23 season for the hounds. Forgettable middle.

Brown? Any others?

When you say core, do you mean poitras James and kamish?

I’m looking forward to hearing who officially comes back. The 2023 class might not have “star” talent as predicated by IL, but the talent on tape is really good. They have two QB type attackman in the 23 class and a really eye popping middie
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Finster

Post by Finster »

houndace1 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:42 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:40 am Great start and finish to the ‘23 season for the hounds. Forgettable middle.

Brown? Any others?

I’m looking forward to hearing who officially comes back. The 2023 class might not have “star” talent as predicated by IL, but the talent on tape is really good. They have two QB type attackman in the 23 class and a really eye popping middie

Hounds fans: I’ve always been a huge admirer of the program. Student fans some of the best in the country if not the best. Great stadium, too.

Your team desperately need a FOGO to at least stay 50/50. Looking at some of the stat sheets from your games, that one position leaps out as an Achilles heel. You don’t need to recruit TD Ierlan, but you need a player who at least doesn’t cost games.

My two cents.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Finster wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:08 am

Brown? Any others?

Hounds fans: I’ve always been a huge admirer of the program. Student fans some of the best in the country if not the best. Great stadium, too.

Your team desperately need a FOGO to at least stay 50/50. Looking at some of the stat sheets from your games, that one position leaps out as an Achilles heel. You don’t need to recruit TD Ierlan, but you need a player who at least doesn’t cost games.

My two cents.
Thanks for the kind words about the program and the fan support! While offense, defense and goalie play were good enough to win games, it was mightily frustrating to see the FO disparity sometimes. Not being able to win the ball not only put a ton of pressure on the defense to stop transition and scoring, but it made the offense play like everything had to be perfect because we wouldn’t know when’s the next time we’re getting the ball back.

That being said, the 23 and 24 classes have really good FOGO’s coming in, but idk if the staff can wait for that long to see success. I’d throw money at getting the best FO guy either in the portal or just trying to get the best available FO in HS recruiting
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Loyola lost the faceoff battle 18-4 against Army.
But despite that huge possession disparity, only lost by 2 goals.
That possession difference means there is little room for error on offense or defense.
Still, kudos to the boys for a huge, efficient effort on clearing (18 of 19 successful), tenacious riding (Only allowing Army to clear 17 of 24 times) good offense, tenacious defense (encouraging 20 Army turnovers) and with solid goalkeeping.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Brown? Any others?

My two cents.
Thanks! The kind words are much appreciated!

Yes, no doubt the faceoff unit (I don't want to put all the blame on the FOGO alone) was our biggest weakness in 2023. We really need to turn that around next year, especially with so many other strong FOGOs in the PL. We managed to win a few games against top teams with a HUGE faceoff disparity this season, but we don't want to rely on those kinds of miracles regularly.

One thing I wanted to note is that this is an unfamiliar situation for Hounds fans after being spoiled for so many years by the Savio brothers, who both set PL faceoff records. I'm sure the staff will figure it out.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Brown? Any others?

I'm really looking forward to seeing McGorry and Dixon come back from injury. We haven't had a chance to see they can do yet, and they will both be juniors already (academically).
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

GreyingHound wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:48 pm

Brown? Any others?

Maybe we could start a Go Fund Me page and get fans to chip to help Charlie get enough $$ for a reliable FOGO. I don't need to belabor the importance of winning possessions. We've all seen the outcome.

My two cents.
Thanks! The kind words are much appreciated!

Yes, no doubt the faceoff unit (I don't want to put all the blame on the FOGO alone) was our biggest weakness in 2023. We really need to turn that around next year, especially with so many other strong FOGOs in the PL. We managed to win a few games against top teams with a HUGE faceoff disparity this season, but we don't want to rely on those kinds of miracles regularly.

One thing I wanted to note is that this is an unfamiliar situation for Hounds fans after being spoiled for so many years by the Savio brothers, who both set PL faceoff records. I'm sure the staff will figure it out.
Finster

Post by Finster »

BD094C46-4FC2-4A7B-B8A3-1AC869BB577B.jpeg
BD094C46-4FC2-4A7B-B8A3-1AC869BB577B.jpeg (236.3 KiB) Viewed 7928 times
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Finster wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:46 pm BD094C46-4FC2-4A7B-B8A3-1AC869BB577B.jpeg
Imagine drooling all over a kid with a 46% F/O win percentage...
Would hopefully get us over the 40% hump.
:D
Finster

Post by Finster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:18 pm
Finster wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 3:46 pm BD094C46-4FC2-4A7B-B8A3-1AC869BB577B.jpeg
Imagine drooling all over a kid with a 46% F/O win percentage...
Would hopefully get us over the 40% hump.
:D

….as a freshman.

This kid is going to be a solid 50%+ FOGO over the next 3 years.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Was thinking about what could happen in 2024 in terms of opponents and the scheduling for OOC.

Maryland- returns back pretty much everyone on their offensive end, along with Ruppel and Mcananey. FO and defense will always be solid under them

Hopkins- everyone returns sans degnon plus another year of Crawleys offensive schemes and they’ll be a tough out.

Towson- improved this year under Nadelen and they have a ton of talent coming back. Very good FO guy.

Duke- I mean same story, devils always reload under Danowski.

Georgetown- transfer haven but has an excellent culture/talent and a very established recruiting pipeline.

Rutgers- an enigma as I don’t know too much about them but they’ve had our number 2 years in a row.

Why is it that Toomey doesn’t schedule another OOC team like maybe an Ivy, or one more ACC? More bites at the Apple could mean more chances to earn an at large in the event they don’t win a very competitive patriot league?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

We had the #9 faceoff guy in the class of 2019 class.
But all of the upperclass faceoff kids were recruited as Moto-grip kids and asked to switch to Neutral in 2021 season.
The neutral grip lends itself to more athletic kids rather than technicians.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Are the faceoff issues more about the FOGO or lack of support from the wings? Combination of the two?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:51 am Are the faceoff issues more about the FOGO or lack of support from the wings? Combination of the two?
I believe a combination of both... The faceoff issue, is concerning. With three seniors and a junior... There is nothing in the pipeline
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:45 am Was thinking about what could happen in 2024 in terms of opponents and the scheduling for OOC.

Maryland- returns back pretty much everyone on their offensive end, along with Ruppel and Mcananey. FO and defense will always be solid under them

Hopkins- everyone returns sans degnon plus another year of Crawleys offensive schemes and they’ll be a tough out.

Towson- improved this year under Nadelen and they have a ton of talent coming back. Very good FO guy.

Duke- I mean same story, devils always reload under Danowski.

Georgetown- transfer haven but has an excellent culture/talent and a very established recruiting pipeline.

Rutgers- an enigma as I don’t know too much about them but they’ve had our number 2 years in a row.

Why is it that Toomey doesn’t schedule another OOC team like maybe an Ivy, or one more ACC? More bites at the Apple could mean more chances to earn an at large in the event they don’t win a very competitive patriot league?
I believe they tried a couple of years back. I think they were in talks with Princeton or Yale. I like the idea. The Patriot League is competitive, we just do not have the street cred as the big ten. Ivies etc
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Don’t have the athletic department budgets either. Except for Army and Navy of course.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

laxbro11 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:18 pm
Exlaxbro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:51 am Are the faceoff issues more about the FOGO or lack of support from the wings? Combination of the two?
I believe a combination of both... The faceoff issue, is concerning. With three seniors and a junior... There is nothing in the pipeline
It is but both FOGOs were highly recruited. I saw a lot of subpar wing play this year that I thought could have helped. Remember Savio had an All American LSM helping him for a few years. Roman is going to have to get more aggressive and ask his GA coach to tutor him on the finer points of face off play.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Exlaxbro wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:51 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:18 pm
It is but both FOGOs were highly recruited. I saw a lot of subpar wing play this year that I thought could have helped. Remember Savio had an All American LSM helping him for a few years. Roman is going to have to get more aggressive and ask his GA coach to tutor him on the finer points of face off play.
What did you think was specifically sub-par about the wing play?
Because I saw the bulk of the faceoff problems stemming from being slow off the whistle and not getting plastic on the ball.
You can't overcome poor play at the X by strategizing the wings. At best you can avoid a fast break. The issue starts and ends with the guys at the X.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”