ultravisitor

Re: Transfer portal

Post by ultravisitor »

Bart wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:02 pm
btwn30lax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm 1. KAH
2. Cindy Timchal
3. Cathy Reese
4. Jenny Levy

All 4 are fantastic coaches so ranking them seems unfair but this is the way it would be for me.
I think I’d flip 1 and 2.
Cindy Timchal had to walk so that Kelly Amonte-Hiller could run.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:52 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:04 pm High level of achievement and success right from jump--agreed. But 18 years till her first national title is noteworthy.
You're just casually going to ignore the fact that NW and MD had dynasties during that time period and no one in the sport could beat them for the better part of 20 years? Those teams were stacked with the greatest players the sport has ever seen but it's Levy's fault for not beating them enough? Princeton and UVA had better programs than UNC during this time.

Since 2013, Cathy has 4 championships. Levy has 3. Context matters and i feel like you're missing it
Sounds like a lot of fancy North Carolina excuse making to me.

And anyone can draw the up the numbers to fit their argument. Case in point:

Since 2005, Kelly Amonte Hiller has 8 national championships, Reese has 5 and Levy has 3.

Since 2017, Reese has 2 national championships, KAH, AWW, Levy and Klaes each have 1.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Since 2018 no team has repeated and only 1 team has made it to every final four. The sport continues to grow and evolve.

Levy’s strength might not be X’s and O’s but her players love playing for her and Carolina’s support of their players in pursuit of employment post college is excellent.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hsllax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 pm Since 2018 no team has repeated and only 1 team has made it to every final four. The sport continues to grow and evolve.

Levy’s strength might not be X’s and O’s but her players love playing for her and Carolina’s support of their players in pursuit of employment post college is excellent.
I find the dislike of Levy by some posters a bit humorous. Having listened to many interviews with her, I think she does a great job of building the team culture and imparting the values she finds important on her team. I think she could have cut some corners to get a few more championships, but she doesn't do that.

She has also fully admitted that some of her teams have had too many stars, which has caused some issues with performance on the field for various reasons. I think she has great self awareness and I don't think she cares what anyone here thinks. Maybe that's under performing but I still think she does it the right way.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:58 am
hsllax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:08 pm Since 2018 no team has repeated and only 1 team has made it to every final four. The sport continues to grow and evolve.

I find the dislike of Levy by some posters a bit humorous. Having listened to many interviews with her, I think she does a great job of building the team culture and imparting the values she finds important on her team. I think she could have cut some corners to get a few more championships, but she doesn't do that.

She has also fully admitted that some of her teams have had too many stars, which has caused some issues with performance on the field for various reasons. I think she has great self awareness and I don't think she cares what anyone here thinks. Maybe that's under performing but I still think she does it the right way.
I had heard from a few people that after UNC won the Natty in 2022 that she didnt want to rely on the “stars “ going forward - more of an everyone is equal. The problem with that is if no one steps up - you have the result you had last year . It’s ok to have stars that lead and help motivate . You also need stars to come up big in big moments . Not having that gets you an early exit out.
Not sure what “cutting corners” means??
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:16 am

I had heard from a few people that after UNC won the Natty in 2022 that she didnt want to rely on the “stars “ going forward - more of an everyone is equal. The problem with that is if no one steps up - you have the result you had last year . It’s ok to have stars that lead and help motivate . You also need stars to come up big in big moments . Not having that gets you an early exit out.
Not sure what “cutting corners” means??
From the discussions I've heard from her, it was more along the lines of if you have all Michael Jordans, it's hard to pull some teams together and I think part of that is players understanding what their roles are. Some just cannot play the proper support role when needed.

My take on last season for UNC....I think there is great value in playing as a team and yes, you need some star players. However, I think they lacked the proper player leadership to pull it off.

"Cutting corners" is referring to settling on your core values and team values--sacrificing those and going against them to get wins. This can be accomplished by pulling in players that do not fit your core values, but are high performers so you just don't care, or other things. She's very open about her core values and the team core values she's working on.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

I think it's important to remember the context of the current discussion, which was set forth by the question of which coach does more with less. In that particular light, Jenny Levy doesn't always shine all that brightly, especially with the consideration of more recent history.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ultravisitor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:38 am

I think it's important to remember the context of the current discussion, which was set forth by the question of which coach does more with less. In that particular light, Jenny Levy doesn't always shine all that brightly, especially with the consideration of more recent history.
That is now how this started. It started with Larry saying Ashley Humphrey should pick another school besides UNC because he has had a long time issue with Jenny Levy and UNC. The ONW jumped in with his distaste for UNC as well.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:14 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:38 am

That is now how this started. It started with Larry saying Ashley Humphrey should pick another school besides UNC because he has had a long time issue with Jenny Levy and UNC. The ONW jumped in with his distaste for UNC as well.
Larry always wants these top players to go to a lower ranked program to elevate them as opposed to joining an already loaded team. Not sure it's so much having an issue with UNC in this case.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brownlax wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:14 pm That is now how this started. It started with Larry saying Ashley Humphrey should pick another school besides UNC because he has had a long time issue with Jenny Levy and UNC. Then ONW jumped in with his distaste for UNC as well.
Yep--the same distaste that a Yankees fan has for the Boston Red Sox, or a Bruins fan has for the Montreal Canadiens, or a Maryland fan has for Northwestern (especially these days--lol.) Being a fan of the Northwestern Wildcats and Boston College Eagles, of course I have a natural enmity toward any of their arch rivals. TEAMS. Not individual players. I have a great deal of respect for the players. I have interacted with a number of them over the years and they are class acts, all.

As far as what I do have distaste for--it's a program that regularly wins in the postseason but cuts corners during the regular season where other teams don't. To me that's trying to gain an unfair advantage and I'll always call out that bush league crap--just like I've called out Duke, Notre Dame and Clemson in the past for their cupcake out of conference opponent corner cutting.

One thing I try to be is fair in how I assess teams. In that respect--I don't play favorites. I said Northwestern choked when they choked in '22. I wondered openly whether BC would have won a national title from 2017-2019 if they had a different coach. I calls 'em like I see's 'em--and I try to not let the color of the laundry impair my ability to be objective. I'm not always successful, but I try.
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

Although I truly appreciate any fan having an opinion on this wonderful sport, the fact remains is that you have two favorite teams, BC and NW, who are near the pinnacle of the sport on a yearly basis. I’m sure you grew up liking the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys too.

Secondly the cutting corners thing is hilarious to me when you bring up Duke, ND, and others. All these programs play in the ACC which on any given year is a top conference that sends 5-6 teams to the NCAA tournament. By conference affiliation, they play a tougher schedule than 80% of the country. The fact that you have continued to hammer these programs (including a program that is literally in its 2nd year of existence) shows a fundamental lack of understanding for scheduling strategy at the division 1 level.

Insert old man yelling at a cloud gif on all of your posts.
OuttaNowhereWregget

btwn30lax wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:35 pm Although I truly appreciate any fan having an opinion on this wonderful sport, the fact remains is that you have two favorite teams, BC and NW, who are near the pinnacle of the sport on a yearly basis. I’m sure you grew up liking the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys too.

Secondly the cutting corners thing is hilarious to me when you bring up Duke, ND, and others. All these programs play in the ACC which on any given year is a top conference that sends 5-6 teams to the NCAA tournament. By conference affiliation, they play a tougher schedule than 80% of the country. The fact that you have continued to hammer these programs (including a program that is literally in its 2nd year of existence) shows a fundamental lack of understanding for scheduling strategy at the division 1 level.

Your post is rife with assumptions and presumptions--and you're wrong on 95% of them. I'll let you in on a little secret--when a current highly visible and successful veteran head coach in D1 women's lacrosse affirmed my cupcake out of conference take, I knew I was right in my fundamental understanding of scheduling strategy at the division 1 level.

Here's a little homework assignment for you: Compare Syracuse's OOC opponents over the last few years with Duke's and Notre Dame's and then get back to me...

whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

btwn30lax wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:35 pm Although I truly appreciate any fan having an opinion on this wonderful sport, the fact remains is that you have two favorite teams, BC and NW, who are near the pinnacle of the sport on a yearly basis. I’m sure you grew up liking the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys too.

either old man or some a 30something still living in his parents basement.
OuttaNowhereWregget

whyamihere wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:23 am either old man or some a 30something still living in his parents basement.
More presumptions on FanLax--what a shocker.
I love how folks resort to personal insults when they can't refute a take with facts and/or rationale. So predictable.

DMac

Post by DMac »

It's not even a good insult, it's juvenile, lacks any kind of originality, creativity, or imagination.
You've got to do better than that w-a-i-h, up your game from a fourth-grade level, those intended
insults are old and worn out.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

DMac wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:47 am It's not even a good insult, it's juvenile, lacks any kind of originality, creativity, or imagination.
You've got to do better than that w-a-i-h, up your game from a fourth-grade level, those intended
Some of you spend way to much time analyzing women's lacrosse teams, the coaches and the schedules. Maybe you should all take a break until the spring season actually starts...go outside and take a walk and get some fresh air.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Right – because why would women's lacrosse fans want to discuss women's lacrosse in all its many facets on a women's lacrosse message board/forum?

whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:41 am Right – because why would women's lacrosse fans want to discuss women's lacrosse in all its many facets on a women's lacrosse message board/forum?

but everyday? sometimes several times a day!
DMac

Post by DMac »

whyamihere wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:15 am
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:47 am It's not even a good insult, it's juvenile, lacks any kind of originality, creativity, or imagination.
Some of you spend way to much time analyzing women's lacrosse teams, the coaches and the schedules. Maybe you should all take a break until the spring season actually starts...go outside and take a walk and get some fresh air.
You don't see me doing much of that, I'm a let's face it off/do the draw and see what you've got kind of guy.
I don't buy the hype of the commit who hasn't played her junior year of HS lax yet, see schedules as schedules
and nothing much more, don't do much criticizing of coaches.
Oh, and to and too are not synonymous.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Anybody want to help me understand the fall lacrosse portal? When did this come about? What are the dates? Why does it exist? What do we expect to see out of it?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”