Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Transfer portal

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:25 pm Funny when talking about coaching. All coaches that are considered “great” and the “best” had the absolute best players. Look what happens to some of the “great” coaches when they coached teams without HOF players. Jackson was tremendous with Jordan, Kobe and Shaq. “Best ever.” Didn’t look like such a great coach with the Knicks. Belichik all of a sudden was the greatest coach ever his second year with the Patriots. Now he looks like the coach he was with the Browns since Brady is gone. You can do that with any sport including wlax.
The truly great coaches are the ones that get the most out of their talent. Very easy to be considered a top coach when you get to pick the best players coming out of high school every year. They get top talent every year and discard half of them because of how good the players are on their team. Maybe Levy would be just as good if she coached BU. I guess we’ll never know
The first coach that immediately comes to mind after reading this post is JMU's Shelley Klaes.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:08 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:25 pm Funny when talking about coaching. All coaches that are considered “great” and the “best” had the absolute best players. Look what happens to some of the “great” coaches when they coached teams without HOF players. Jackson was tremendous with Jordan, Kobe and Shaq. “Best ever.” Didn’t look like such a great coach with the Knicks. Belichik all of a sudden was the greatest coach ever his second year with the Patriots. Now he looks like the coach he was with the Browns since Brady is gone. You can do that with any sport including wlax.
The truly great coaches are the ones that get the most out of their talent. Very easy to be considered a top coach when you get to pick the best players coming out of high school every year. They get top talent every year and discard half of them because of how good the players are on their team. Maybe Levy would be just as good if she coached BU. I guess we’ll never know
The first coach that immediately comes to mind after reading this post is JMU's Shelley Klaes.
Good example. Was thinking Spallina as well although I’m not a fan.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:47 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:08 pm The first coach that immediately comes to mind after reading this post is JMU's Shelley Klaes.
Good example. Was thinking Spallina as well although I’m not a fan.
Thank you.

I was a fan of his until the aftermath of the Everson incident--which he botched royally. Now I'm with you.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I concur. She also has won a National Championship, so she has achieved the peak objective.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:47 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:44 am
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:09 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:52 pm
Brownlax wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:29 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:34 pm
laxguy95 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:49 pm Isn't Ashley Humphrey transferring to UNC in the spring?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxGyuoCxCyy/
Hope she changes her mind and goes to a non-ACC school.
Are you upset that she’s going to UNC Larry? We know that you have issues with UNC.
As time has passed, I've come around to agreeing with Larry on the Powder Blue Crew. One of Larry's takes I now fully agree with--Jenny Levy is overrated. She's great in some respects, but her coaching? Meh. She's been lucky in May on occasion, as well.
How many coaches do you consider "better" than her?
That's a great question to put before the WD1 Board Members, as it were.

What do you think, folks? Are there currently active coaches that you consider "better" than Jenny Levy? If so--who are they?

Off the top of my head, I'd submit Kelly Amonte Hiller and Cathy Reese.
OK, I'll play. Kate Livesay.
+1
OuttaNowhereWregget

UO22 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:04 pm It would be great if UNC and MD played yearly in the regular season. Not sure why they don't make it happen.
They used to, until this game in 2020:

19-6 with the studs still out there piling on in the waning moments of a game long over. I think Reese doesn't make it happen anymore because she knows her teams haven't been up to the standard of the previous 2nd dynasty years. I'm guessing she's holding a grudge, too--though you'd never know it from the postgame handshake.

ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

KAH is the coach who immediately came to mind for me, particularly for how quickly Northwestern rose to dominance.

Most of the east coast schools have had lacrosse programs for many, many years, AND they benefit from being on the east coast, so kids really didn't have to go very far in order to play college lacrosse.

Nobody was dying to come to Northwestern to play lacrosse, especially since in 2001, NU was still playing club lacrosse. Still, she took what she was able to get in cobbling together a team, and in 2005 they won their first national championship. And in 2006 they won again. And again. And again...

It has to be SO much easier to be a good coach at a school where lacrosse has always been a way of life.
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:08 pm The first coach that immediately comes to mind after reading this post is JMU's Shelley Klaes.
KAH is the coach who immediately came to mind for me, particularly for how quickly Northwestern rose to dominance.

Most of the east coast schools have had lacrosse programs for many, many years, AND they benefit from being on the east coast, so kids really didn't have to go very far in order to play college lacrosse.

Nobody was dying to come to Northwestern to play lacrosse, especially since in 2001, NU was still playing club lacrosse. Still, she took what she was able to get in cobbling together a team, and in 2005 they won their first national championship. And in 2006 they won again. And again. And again...

It has to be SO much easier to be a good coach at a school where lacrosse has always been a way of life.
What a great post! I have a tendency to forget that as KAH and Northwestern are so well established.

ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:10 am

What a great post! I have a tendency to forget that as KAH and Northwestern are so well established.

Yep. Northwestern is very well established as a premier collegiate lacrosse destination NOW, but I think people easily forget or overlook that the program was completely dormant when KAH took the job. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to many of the other teams, but I don't know of another coach out there who has had to basically build their program from scratch and then who has managed to take their team to such a high, sustained level of success so quickly. Most of the other coaches who have experienced national championship-level success either inherited a thriving program or took a much, much longer time.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:09 pm

Yep. Northwestern is very well established as a premier collegiate lacrosse destination NOW, but I think people easily forget or overlook that the program was completely dormant when KAH took the job. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to many of the other teams, but I don't know of another coach out there who has had to basically build their program from scratch and then who has managed to take their team to such a high, sustained level of success so quickly. Most of the other coaches who have experienced national championship-level success either inherited a thriving program or took a much, much longer time.
I think having a high academic brand helps a lot particularly in Women's' Lax. There isn't a path to make money after college in the sport so the degree matters a great deal and if your choosing between a MD (for example) degree & a NorthWestern degree it makes a difference. I don't want my daughter going far for college but if it's Stanford or NW then suddenly I'll be OK with it.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Maybe check out Levy's early success at UNC. NCAA semi's in second and third year of existince.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:06 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:44 am That's a great question to put before the WD1 Board Members, as it were.

What do you think, folks? Are there currently active coaches that you consider "better" than Jenny Levy? If so--who are they?

Off the top of my head, I'd submit Kelly Amonte Hiller and Cathy Reese.
I guess I would suggest that when your daughter gets the offer from Jenny, you definitely decline it... :roll:
Still grinding that axe, huh Sunny-kins?

One could say the same about you, no? It seems to me every opportunity to speak poorly about UNC and/or Jenny Levy, you do. If the program isn't to your liking or the coach isn't good, then don't go to UNC. Quite simple.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Sunnylax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:04 pm If the program isn't to your liking or the coach isn't good, then don't go to UNC. Quite simple.
If you don't like what I write about Levy and Carolina, then don't read it. Quite simple.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:49 pm Maybe check out Levy's early success at UNC. NCAA semi's in second and third year of existince.
High level of achievement and success right from jump--agreed. But 18 years till her first national title is noteworthy.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:56 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:04 pm If the program isn't to your liking or the coach isn't good, then don't go to UNC. Quite simple.
If you don't like what I write about Levy and Carolina, then don't read it. Quite simple.
If you don't like what I write about your post, then don't read it. Even simpler.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:04 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:49 pm Maybe check out Levy's early success at UNC. NCAA semi's in second and third year of existince.
High level of achievement and success right from jump--agreed. But 18 years till her first national title is noteworthy.
You're just casually going to ignore the fact that NW and MD had dynasties during that time period and no one in the sport could beat them for the better part of 20 years? Those teams were stacked with the greatest players the sport has ever seen but it's Levy's fault for not beating them enough? Princeton and UVA had better programs than UNC during this time.

Since 2013, Cathy has 4 championships. Levy has 3. Context matters and i feel like you're missing it
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

For all that Levy has accomplished, the way some people talk about her on this board is straight up disrespectful. You'd think she was the head coach of Stanford or Duke.

Not even Cathy Reese, who is legitimately struggling right now as a coach gets criticized as much. She's 3rd in the coaching Mt. Rushmore after Reese and Hiller and i don't think it's debatable. but you wouldn't know it reading these forums
btwn30lax

Post by btwn30lax »

1. KAH
2. Cindy Timchal
3. Cathy Reese
4. Jenny Levy

All 4 are fantastic coaches so ranking them seems unfair but this is the way it would be for me.
Bart

Post by Bart »

btwn30lax wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm 1. KAH
2. Cindy Timchal
3. Cathy Reese
4. Jenny Levy

All 4 are fantastic coaches so ranking them seems unfair but this is the way it would be for me.
I think I’d flip 1 and 2.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

hmmm wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:49 pm

Maybe check out Levy's early success at UNC. NCAA semi's in second and third year of existince.
In 1997 and 1998, making the semis in the NCAA tournament meant winning one tournament game. How many years was it before she and her team won a title?

And, again, she benefited from coaching a team on the east coast where many people were at least aware of the sport of lacrosse.
Last edited by ultravisitor on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”