Transfer portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Kleizaster

Re: Transfer portal

Post by Kleizaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:34 pm
laxguy95 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:49 pm Isn't Ashley Humphrey transferring to UNC in the spring?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxGyuoCxCyy/
Hope she changes her mind and goes to a non-ACC school.
Her mind was made up pretty much since the end of last year. She wants to play with her little sister so that's not happening
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Brownlax wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:29 pm
laxguy95 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:49 pm Isn't Ashley Humphrey transferring to UNC in the spring?

Are you upset that she’s going to UNC Larry? We know that you have issues with UNC.
As time has passed, I've come around to agreeing with Larry on the Powder Blue Crew. One of Larry's takes I now fully agree with--Jenny Levy is overrated. She's great in some respects, but her coaching? Meh. She's been lucky in May on occasion, as well.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:52 pm

Are you upset that she’s going to UNC Larry? We know that you have issues with UNC.
As time has passed, I've come around to agreeing with Larry on the Powder Blue Crew. One of Larry's takes I now fully agree with--Jenny Levy is overrated. She's great in some respects, but her coaching? Meh. She's been lucky in May on occasion, as well.
How many coaches do you consider "better" than her?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:09 am

That's a great question to put before the WD1 Board Members, as it were.

What do you think, folks? Are there currently active coaches that you consider "better" than Jenny Levy? If so--who are they?

Off the top of my head, I'd submit Kelly Amonte Hiller and Cathy Reese.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

... I think the list is fairly long. Have to also ìnclude Spallina, AW, JMU coach, like what I see from VT coach. Easy to win when you have the best athletes on the field in every single game you play. In my opinion Levy has probably never been the best coach on her staff with Barnes and Dowd probably better. I have always viewed Levy as more program "director" than coach. Just my opinion
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:54 am ... I think the list is fairly long. Have to also ìnclude Spallina, AW, JMU coach, like what I see from VT coach. Easy to win when you have the best athletes on the field in every single game you play. In my opinion Levy has probably never been the best coach on her staff with Barnes and Dowd probably better. I have always viewed Levy as more program "director" than coach. Just my opinion
So Jennie isn't a great coach because she wins with..talent or doesn't win with talent? what metric are you using that shows any of those coaches are better? If it's just your opinion and not based on facts and you don't like her, that's fine.

But i'll provide facts. AW has gotten equal talent to Levy. Levy's recruiting hit overdrive really only with the 2024 and 2025 classes. Prior to that UNC BC and MD were pretty even head to head recuiting wise. Levy also beats AW and Cathy routinely when facing eachother. For along time Cathy and MD were so dominant that only Levy and UNC had a prayer of beating them. Cathy has been ducking UNC since. Cathy Reese is a great coach. You think those Maryland dynasties are happening if she didn't have talent on the team? Talent matters but it's not the end all be all. 2013 NCAA season and championship game. Levy beat Cathy with a historically great MD team. just take a look at that MD roster if you forgot. I'd argue that was one of the greatest coaching jobs in the history of the sport. 2016? took an under achieving UNC team and turned them into a wagon and they ran shop in the post season and beat another great Cathy team in the finals. And i don't think you can confidently say Cathy currently is a better coach than Levy.

AW is another great coach. But i don't she's better than Levy for reasons i have stated. Levy owns her head to head.

Spallina is another great coach but again head to head Levy has that over him. you can argue and say he doesn't get the same talent as Levy sure. But you're not going to say some coach at a lower tier D1 school that beats up on their competition and goes undefeated every year is a better Coach than Bill Self at Kansas because Bill Self gets better talent. same logic.

So what are you basing what you consider as great coach on? The fact that you even put the JMU and VT coaches in this conversation is odd. In what world are they even close to Levy? Because they motivate their players? alot of coaches motivate their players.

Sounds to me like you're using talent as the sole reason to Levy's success..or failures? can't be both. which i think is the mistake alot of people here make. Talent helps, but you ain't winning with talent alone. and you can also have all the hard working and gritty players you want but you ain't winning without talent.

AW is 1-5 in championship games and has a losing record to Levy but she's a better coach than Levy based on..what exactly? Cathy isn't doing too hot right now.

Only coach that has the upper hand over Levy right now is Amonte Hiller. She wasn't exactly short on talent either and currently has one of the most dominant players the sport has ever seen is Izzy Scane.

Levy has won while being the underdog. Has won while being the favorite. She's the best recruiter in the game, an important part of being a head coach. Has 3 championships. But the VT and JMU head coaches are better.

I'm all for fair criticism. But it's hard to take you seriously when you make claims like that. You could have said her X and Os aren't the greatest which is true. But still more than competent enough. As a total package Levy is a force. The anti Levy rhetoric is weird
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

As I clearly said it is "just my opinion" based on my personal observations over the past decade and knowing elite players on each of the teams you mention and hearing the same thing from them. This includes players at UNC. Levy seems very nice and I have no issues with her whatsoever. She is also a good coach. I just dont think she is great. This is simply my observation. I will say that it is silly to compare head to head success of UNC over SB. That was always a David vs Goliath match--up with UNC having better talent at virtually every position. It was surprising that those games were even close. Talent has played a huge role in the success of the top 4 programs - MD, Northwestern, UNC and BC. There is no doubt about that. If I was starting a brand new program tomorrow and I had to pick a head coach for the next 10 years (and coaches were in their prime), Levy would not be very high on my list. Certainly not top 5.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

... my comments are based on coaching only. Not recruiting. Im talking about the X and O's, and in game coaching.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am
Lax101 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:54 am ... I think the list is fairly long. Have to also ìnclude Spallina, AW, JMU coach, like what I see from VT coach. Easy to win when you have the best athletes on the field in every single game you play. In my opinion Levy has probably never been the best coach on her staff with Barnes and Dowd probably better. I have always viewed Levy as more program "director" than coach. Just my opinion
So Jennie isn't a great coach because she wins with..talent or doesn't win with talent? what metric are you using that shows any of those coaches are better? If it's just your opinion and not based on facts and you don't like her, that's fine.

But i'll provide facts. AW has gotten equal talent to Levy. Levy's recruiting hit overdrive really only with the 2024 and 2025 classes. Prior to that UNC BC and MD were pretty even head to head recuiting wise. Levy also beats AW and Cathy routinely when facing eachother. For along time Cathy and MD were so dominant that only Levy and UNC had a prayer of beating them. Cathy has been ducking UNC since. Cathy Reese is a great coach. You think those Maryland dynasties are happening if she didn't have talent on the team? Talent matters but it's not the end all be all. 2013 NCAA season and championship game. Levy beat Cathy with a historically great MD team. just take a look at that MD roster if you forgot. I'd argue that was one of the greatest coaching jobs in the history of the sport. 2016? took an under achieving UNC team and turned them into a wagon and they ran shop in the post season and beat another great Cathy team in the finals. And i don't think you can confidently say Cathy currently is a better coach than Levy.

AW is another great coach. But i don't she's better than Levy for reasons i have stated. Levy owns her head to head.

Spallina is another great coach but again head to head Levy has that over him. you can argue and say he doesn't get the same talent as Levy sure. But you're not going to say some coach at a lower tier D1 school that beats up on their competition and goes undefeated every year is a better Coach than Bill Self at Kansas because Bill Self gets better talent. same logic.

So what are you basing what you consider as great coach on? The fact that you even put the JMU and VT coaches in this conversation is odd. In what world are they even close to Levy? Because they motivate their players? alot of coaches motivate their players.

Sounds to me like you're using talent as the sole reason to Levy's success..or failures? can't be both. which i think is the mistake alot of people here make. Talent helps, but you ain't winning with talent alone. and you can also have all the hard working and gritty players you want but you ain't winning without talent.

AW is 1-5 in championship games and has a losing record to Levy but she's a better coach than Levy based on..what exactly? Cathy isn't doing too hot right now.

Only coach that has the upper hand over Levy right now is Amonte Hiller. She wasn't exactly short on talent either and currently has one of the most dominant players the sport has ever seen is Izzy Scane.

Levy has won while being the underdog. Has won while being the favorite. She's the best recruiter in the game, an important part of being a head coach. Has 3 championships. But the VT and JMU head coaches are better.

I'm all for fair criticism. But it's hard to take you seriously when you make claims like that. You could have said her X and Os aren't the greatest which is true. But still more than competent enough. As a total package Levy is a force. The anti Levy rhetoric is weird
There’s a reason why she’s the head coach of team USA.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:44 am

What do you think, folks? Are there currently active coaches that you consider "better" than Jenny Levy? If so--who are they?

OK, I'll play. Kate Livesay.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Are you referring to just the influence coaches have on practice and game management, not recruiting? Lots of different components of coaching

My take

Best recruiter: Levy
Best X/Os / game planner: Spallina
Best developer of talent: KAH
Best motivator / in-game manager: Klaes
OuttaNowhereWregget

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am Levy also beats AW and Cathy routinely when facing eachother.
Levy is 6-15 vs Reese all time (3-6 in the post season [ 0-5 ACC Tourney; 3-1 NCAA's] )

Levy is 15-6 vs AWW all time (7-3 in the postseason [ 6-1 ACC Tourney; 1-2 NCAA's] )
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am AW is another great coach. But i don't she's better than Levy for reasons i have stated. Levy owns her head to head.
In the last 12 games Levy has faced AWW, she holds a 7-5 edge (4-3 in the postseason).
DMac

Post by DMac »

....and all of those Ws and Ls are directly attributable to coaching not performance/execution of the players on the field.
Coaches are both credited and faulted too much. A pipe shot can make a coach a bad one and a bad pass to a cutter that deflects off a D player's stick and ends up in the goal can make one a good one in the eyes of all the critics.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:30 pm There’s a reason why she’s the head coach of team USA.
Just because she's the HC of the national team doesn't make her a great HC. Look at the previous national team HC (Rick Fried) :lol:
user1020

Post by user1020 »

You can be a great coach with a bad team. You have to look at what the coach does with their talent. There are tremendous coaches at mid level teams but they don’t get recognition because their achievements are not as good as winning a NC, but in comparison to their talent their achievements are amazing. If I have to put out some of the best coaches I would say Spallina, Liza Kelly, Jen Adams, Amonte-Hiller. I also like Tim McCormick. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:12 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am Levy also beats AW and Cathy routinely when facing eachother.
Levy is 6-15 vs Reese all time (3-6 in the post season [ 0-5 ACC Tourney; 3-1 NCAA's] )

Levy is 15-6 vs AWW all time (7-3 in the postseason [ 6-1 ACC Tourney; 1-2 NCAA's] )
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:40 am AW is another great coach. But i don't she's better than Levy for reasons i have stated. Levy owns her head to head.
In the last 12 games Levy has faced AWW, she holds a 7-5 edge (4-3 in the postseason).
It would be great if UNC and MD played yearly in the regular season. Not sure why they don't make it happen.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Funny when talking about coaching. All coaches that are considered “great” and the “best” had the absolute best players. Look what happens to some of the “great” coaches when they coached teams without HOF players. Jackson was tremendous with Jordan, Kobe and Shaq. “Best ever.” Didn’t look like such a great coach with the Knicks. Belichik all of a sudden was the greatest coach ever his second year with the Patriots. Now he looks like the coach he was with the Browns since Brady is gone. You can do that with any sport including wlax.
The truly great coaches are the ones that get the most out of their talent. Very easy to be considered a top coach when you get to pick the best players coming out of high school every year. They get top talent every year and discard half of them because of how good the players are on their team. Maybe Levy would be just as good if she coached BU. I guess we’ll never know
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

OK, here’s a great head coach. Cindy Timchale, at Northwestern had good players, made the dance, but never really challenged for championship. At Maryland. recruited great players and won multiple national championships. At Navy with severe recruiting restrictions, still winning, making the dance and came close to winning at all. And her coaching tree probably includes half of the top 20 coaches
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:44 am

I guess I would suggest that when your daughter gets the offer from Jenny, you definitely decline it... :roll:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Sunnylax wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:44 am That's a great question to put before the WD1 Board Members, as it were.

I guess I would suggest that when your daughter gets the offer from Jenny, you definitely decline it... :roll:
Still grinding that axe, huh Sunny-kins?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”