NJ 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
bulax

NJ 2019

Post by bulax »

Any guesses as to who the top team will be in NJ next year? Any programs on the rise? Could this be SHP's year?
admin
Site Admin

Re: NJ 2019

Post by admin »

Delbarton. When in doubt, just go with Delbarton.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

delbarton is usually the right answer. though i honestly don't think the talent is as great as in years past (graduated an entire 1st team midfield and arguably their best attack man, not to mention their stud FOGO) their coaching staff is awesome.

until SHP can beat Delby when it matters, it'll always be Delby.

summit is always good as well. they'll have a clear path to the TOC in group 2 now that chatham is moving up to 3.

group 3 will be interesting. see if northern highlands and wayne hills can repeat their success form 2018.

4 is going to continue to be a powerhouse - look for westfield to rebound and contend with Ridgewood and BR.
bulax

Post by bulax »

I agree that the Delbarton midfield will be their big question mark, along with the goalie situation. Since freshmen lacrosse players aren't allowed to play varsity it'll be interesting to see if any midfield talent comes through. They have a very highly thought of attackman who is a rising sophomore, will probably start. Face offs shouldn't be a big issue, they have a senior wesleyan commit who was out with a concussion for all of last season. Seton Hall prep should be good, but they lose their two 100+ point producers (Kirst + Westlin), two goalies, and a few defensive pieces. They return their good fogo. I have doubts about how good summit will be, they lose a lot of key talent including their amazing goalie. I agree that westfield is poised to have a good year.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

early schedule for Chatham

3/27 vs Randolph
4/6 vs Madison
4/11 vs Westfield
4/13 vs Summit
4/23 @ Montclair
4/25 vs Seton Hall Preparatory
4/27 @ Roxbury High School
5/11 @ Mountain Lakes High School
NJlaxfan

Post by NJlaxfan »

Mountain Lakes returns a ton on offense and were real close last year losing in the finals of the Morris County Tournament as well as the tough TOC semifinal loss to Summit where they couldn’t crack the zone. Their D may be a little shaky but no team is going to return strong units across the board year to year. Seton Hall should be able to score in bunches with Kumar, Blanc and Stephenson, and should get many opportunities with their very good face-up guy returning. I just wonder how good they will be behind them. Also agree Westfield should be good, but they just never seem to pull it together when it matters. Expect Summit to be better than their talent, they are well coached and that defense gives most teams fits. Although Delbarton did lose a number of midfielders, there is a strong junior class waiting in the wings and some seniors who will have to step up. They lost their entire defense the year before and found a way. Although the sophomore attackman is good, he may not start until he is a senior, few sophomores start at Delbarton and he has three to four D-1 upperclassmen ahead of him. I see three losses on that early Chatham schedule, they always play a tough schedule.
NJLax80

Post by NJLax80 »

Delby and Summit should never be underestimated. They are perenially loaded with skilled, well-coached athletes. They will always challenge for the State and TOC.

But, I would keep an eye on Mountain Lakes. They have a very strong and experienced senior class. The defense is senior-led and backed up by one of the best goalies in the region and a Syracuse commit. Face-off is also a big point of strength. If summer ball is any indication, I witnessed them win the ship at both the New England Showcase and the National High School Lacrosse Showcase, beating the likes of Darien, Smithtown West, Georgetown Prep, Garden City and Haverford along the way. They are a balanced squad and fun to watch (albeit from an opponent's perspective).

SHP will be very good and led by a great group of underclassmen. But, can their D hold up or will they be forced to outscore everyone?

Darkhorses could include Watchung Hills (who looked great thru TOC), Northern Highlands and perhaps Ridge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

bulax wrote:I have doubts about how good summit will be, they lose a lot of key talent including their amazing goalie. I agree that westfield is poised to have a good year.
Agree about the Hilltopper's goalie and... I thought the same about Westfield last season. Lots of talent but little to show for it.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

NJLax80 wrote:Delby and Summit should never be underestimated. They are perenially loaded with skilled, well-coached athletes. They will always challenge for the State and TOC.

But, I would keep an eye on Mountain Lakes. They have a very strong and experienced senior class. The defense is senior-led and backed up by one of the best goalies in the region and a Syracuse commit. Face-off is also a big point of strength. If summer ball is any indication, I witnessed them win the ship at both the New England Showcase and the National High School Lacrosse Showcase, beating the likes of Darien, Smithtown West, Georgetown Prep, Garden City and Haverford along the way. They are a balanced squad and fun to watch (albeit from an opponent's perspective).

SHP will be very good and led by a great group of underclassmen. But, can their D hold up or will they be forced to outscore everyone?

Darkhorses could include Watchung Hills (who looked great thru TOC), Northern Highlands and perhaps Ridge.
i believe watchung is losing tons of talent as well. not sure as to their underclass and what they have left there. northern highlands is in the same boat i believe, but do return their leading scorer. Lakes is always good, benefiting from a weak group 1 IMO.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Coaching change at Bergen Catholic. Let's see who takes up the reins.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

seriously? wrote:Coaching change at Bergen Catholic. Let's see who takes up the reins.

Kevin Kelly was the assistant coach there, former Kinnelon HC. His son is a sophomore there - wonder if he’ll take over.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

in case anyone wants to check out some college and HS fall ball!

https://twitter.com/BRpantherLAX/status ... 4565519360
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Griffin Westlin the #8 Overall Pick and the #5 Freshman.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Eastern Regional's (Voorhees) Stephen Hanscom, LSM commits to Fairleigh Dickinson.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Washington Township's (NJ) Sam Flamma, LSM committed to D3 Atlantic East newcomer Gwynedd Mercy.
dense

Post by dense »

Expect Delbarton vs Mountain Lakes in 2019 TOC final

Most of the stronger teams will be from Essex, Bergen, Morris. Non publics do not appear as strong as years past.
dense

Post by dense »

admin wrote:Griffin Westlin the #8 Overall Pick and the #5 Freshman.
He's legit. ND does a good job picking out Jersey prime
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

dense wrote:Expect Delbarton vs Mountain Lakes in 2019 TOC final

Most of the stronger teams will be from Essex, Bergen, Morris. Non publics do not appear as strong as years past.
to be completely honest, i don't think delby will be as strong as in years past. graduated a ton of talent, not sure if it's replaceable. i did also say that last season and look how that turned out.

lakes will be solid but can be beat by teams. summit is always a serious contender as well as the usuals (chatham, bridgewater, westfield, HC, ridgewood)
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Lakes looks strong this year, Delbarton will reload.
Pingry returns a bunch of quality players too.
Bridgewater will be tough too

Until someone can knock Delby off I gotta put them on top
bulax

Post by bulax »

Delbarton ranked #15 in IL preseason poll. They started last year at #17. They are the only NJ team to make the list. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/53742

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”