NCAC 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Clambake

Re: NCAC 2019

Post by Clambake »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:55 am I understand that Denison No. 15 injured an ankle pretty badly and opted to stay with the team as a manager. Tough, because the kid had some real potential.
I don't see Denison #15 on the roster?
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

#15 is Josiah Wilson who as a sophomore played in about half of their games last season and had 8 goals and 2 assists.

https://www.denisonbigred.com/sports/ml ... p&r=0&pos=
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

Any good NCAC games to watch this weekend?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Saturday: Washington & Lee @ Denison
Sunday: RIT @ OWU
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Big opportunity for the NCAC elite teams hosting top 10 teams from east in Ohio in February.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

So how many of you lax-dads (or moms) is going to take in an NCAC game this weekend? Which one?
NeverNuffLax

Post by NeverNuffLax »

Clambake wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:45 am So how many of you lax-dads (or moms) is going to take in an NCAC game this weekend? Which one?
Heading to Danville, KY for Wittenberg vs. Centre.... and thanks for remembering us moms ;)
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Clambake

Post by Clambake »

Nice win for Denison v W and L. Was it as close as the score suggests?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yes. Denison led 9-4 at the half, and led 11-10 at the end of 3 quarters. They just squeaked it out, and no question W&L left Granville thinking it was one they let get away.
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Wittenberg and Centre are tied at 5 early in the second half. Noah Moderwell and Matt Welch with 2 each for Witt. Both teams moving the ball well in a fairly penalty free game so far. Let's see what adjustments both squads make in the second half.
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Wittenberg leading 9 to 7 early in the 4th. Noah Moderwell with 5 goals. This kid has a cannon for a shot and can kill you outside or dodging to the cage.
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Final score from Danville, KY: Wittenberg 13 - Centre College 10. Wittenberg's offensive effort was very good with scoring coming from 5 different players. Moderwell had 5 and Andrew Ellis with the hat trick. Quinn McConkey was strong at the face off winning 20 of 27 attempts. Too many turnovers, many unforced, and the defense has some work to do. Overall, nice win over a very good Centre College team. Great to start the season with the "W". TigerUp!
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

If you looked at OWU in the first third of the RIT game, you would say this is the year they fall back into the pack of the NCAC. Next three games are crucial for the Bishops - can they clean up their face-offs, work on LSM and defensive slides and get the ball to their attack?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldtimelax wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:18 am If you looked at OWU in the first third of the RIT game, you would say this is the year they fall back into the pack of the NCAC. Next three games are crucial for the Bishops - can they clean up their face-offs, work on LSM and defensive slides and get the ball to their attack?
Next three games: Otterbein at home, Messiah at a neutral location, Salisbury at Salisbury.

Otterbein: While no game can be taken for granted, this is one the Bishops definitely should win, so work on the fundamentals, iron out the kinks, win, build confidence and avoid injury.
Messiah: the last two years, OWU has won one-goal games against Messiah, last year in OT. This should be a tougher challenge than Otterbein, but one the Bishops will need to win if they want to remain in the D3 top 20.
Salisbury: Salisbury is Salisbury, always good, more so on their own turf. While a win would be fantastic, I think that a competitive game (OWU showing much better than a few days ago against RIT) would signify progress.
Teams should always improve during February. OWU showed a lot of room for improvement against RIT. Cabrini at Cabrini on March 13 will be a difficult and important test for OWU.
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

AllAboutTheD wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:07 pm Final score from Danville, KY: Wittenberg 13 - Centre College 10. Wittenberg's offensive effort was very good with scoring coming from 5 different players. Moderwell had 5 and Andrew Ellis with the hat trick. Quinn McConkey was strong at the face off winning 20 of 27 attempts. Too many turnovers, many unforced, and the defense has some work to do. Overall, nice win over a very good Centre College team. Great to start the season with the "W". TigerUp!
Appreciate the reporting!
AllAboutTheD

Post by AllAboutTheD »

Several NCAC teams have interesting out of conference games this weekend. Kenyon travels to Columbus to play a very good Capital team. Several programs in the OAC have closed the gap over the past few years with competitive matchups vs NCAC programs. Last year Captial beat DePauw and lost close games with Kenyon, Wooster and Wittenberg. Kenyon shouldn't take this one lightly. Wooster is hosting St. John Fisher, a team coming off of a winning season that competed for the Empire 8 championship. Wittenberg is hosting IWU, an explosive offensive team that put up 26 on Witt last year. IWU routinely put up 20+ points per game with an offensive strategy to shoot often and from everywhere. Wittenberg seems to be a much better team than last year but will have their hands full. OWU travels to Pennsylvania to take on Messiah. I'm going to leave the analysis on this one to the Battling Bishop fans on the forum who have a much better handle on this team then I do. There's no argument about who the top 2 teams are in the NCAC. This weekend should tell us a lot about what the next tier of teams looks like this season. TigerUp!
laxdudeguy43

Post by laxdudeguy43 »

AllAboutTheD wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 am Several NCAC teams have interesting out of conference games this weekend. Kenyon travels to Columbus to play a very good Capital team. Several programs in the OAC have closed the gap over the past few years with competitive matchups vs NCAC programs. Last year Captial beat DePauw and lost close games with Kenyon, Wooster and Wittenberg. Kenyon shouldn't take this one lightly. Wooster is hosting St. John Fisher, a team coming off of a winning season that competed for the Empire 8 championship. Wittenberg is hosting IWU, an explosive offensive team that put up 26 on Witt last year. IWU routinely put up 20+ points per game with an offensive strategy to shoot often and from everywhere. Wittenberg seems to be a much better team than last year but will have their hands full. OWU travels to Pennsylvania to take on Messiah. I'm going to leave the analysis on this one to the Battling Bishop fans on the forum who have a much better handle on this team then I do. There's no argument about who the top 2 teams are in the NCAC. This weekend should tell us a lot about what the next tier of teams looks like this season. TigerUp!
"Theres no argument about who the top 2 teams are"
- I could argue with this right now. I havent seen OWU with a loss like that in a long time. Things might get shaken up this year. They play a very transition heavy game, and replacing #37 wont be an easy task. Granted its still very early, im just pointing out that at this point of the year historically the top 2 already had statement wins, or at least competitive losses. I expect IWU to walk out of springfield with a W. Kenyon and Capital is a toss up. Wooster St john fischer should be a good one, i expect wooster to come out on top. They added some good freshmen attackmen who have been big contributors in early scrimmages, which is a position they struggled to find consistent scoring at outside of #6 last year. I expect depauw to handle carthage, but thats no easy game. Carthage is a good team. Denison should be able to beat a good stevenson team. OWU might struggle again with Messiah, the margins of their games have only gotten closer and closer over the years. Bishops starting the season 0-2????? when was the last time that happened???
Clambake

Post by Clambake »

AllAboutTheD wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:04 am Several NCAC teams have interesting out of conference games this weekend. Kenyon travels to Columbus to play a very good Capital team. Several programs in the OAC have closed the gap over the past few years with competitive matchups vs NCAC programs. Last year Captial beat DePauw and lost close games with Kenyon, Wooster and Wittenberg. Kenyon shouldn't take this one lightly. Wooster is hosting St. John Fisher, a team coming off of a winning season that competed for the Empire 8 championship. Wittenberg is hosting IWU, an explosive offensive team that put up 26 on Witt last year. IWU routinely put up 20+ points per game with an offensive strategy to shoot often and from everywhere. Wittenberg seems to be a much better team than last year but will have their hands full. OWU travels to Pennsylvania to take on Messiah. I'm going to leave the analysis on this one to the Battling Bishop fans on the forum who have a much better handle on this team then I do. There's no argument about who the top 2 teams are in the NCAC. This weekend should tell us a lot about what the next tier of teams looks like this season. TigerUp!
I think it's great Capital has become so competitive. Checked out the roster. rosterhttp://athletics.capital.edu/sports/mlax/2018-19/roster Not surprisingly, lots of players from the Ohio area. In contrast to Kenyon, https://athletics.kenyon.edu/roster.aspx?path=mlax&

which has a roster consisting of few Ohio or even Midwest homegrown talent.

The rise of programs at places like Capital is a clear sign that growing lacrosse in places outside of the hotbed areas is succeeding!
NeverNuffLax

Post by NeverNuffLax »

Not to take anything away from the IWU win against Witt last season, but do think this Sunday's game will be a bit different. Last year, between injuries and a flu outbreak about 10 players didn't even dress/travel with the team... 6 being starters. With each team having played one game this season, they seem pretty evenly matched based on statistics https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men/d3
Witt has a different vibe compared to last year as well.
Sunday's match-up should be a good one & definitely more competitive.
TigerUp !!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”