What beer are we drinking today

General Chatter
richard

What beer are we drinking today

Post by richard »

It's way too hot for an after work beer but I will be having a G & T to toast the old friend.
thatsmell

Re: What beer are we drinking today?

Post by thatsmell »

Richard,
What Gin you like? I like Plymouth. Prefer it over the Tanquerays and Bombay.
On a budget, New Amsterdam and Seagrams make a solid G&Ts. Had a friend that swore by Gordons.
Afan's American Small Batch Gin is unique and awesome, but we use it more for Martinis than G&Ts.
Highly recommend!
https://www.leopoldbros.com/gin
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
richard

Re: What beer are we drinking today

Post by richard »

Given a choice I like Bombay. House gin is Gordon's.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote:Richard,
What Gin you like? I like Plymouth. Prefer it over the Tanquerays and Bombay.
On a budget, New Amsterdam and Seagrams make a solid G&Ts. Had a friend that swore by Gordons.
Afan's American Small Batch Gin is unique and awesome, but we use it more for Martinis than G&Ts.
Highly recommend!
Leopold's Summer Gin is the best IMHO. Have not tried the Navy or small batch. I love the botanical scent in the Summer Gin.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

thatsmell wrote:Afan's American Small Batch Gin is unique and awesome, but we use it more for Martinis than G&Ts. Highly recommend!
Sure wish we could get Leopold product's in Pennsylvania. Any update on that likelihood, AF??

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:
thatsmell wrote:Afan's American Small Batch Gin is unique and awesome, but we use it more for Martinis than G&Ts. Highly recommend!
Sure wish we could get Leopold product's in Pennsylvania. Any update on that likelihood, AF??

found a bottle American Small Batch on the shelf of my local establishment and it will be my next bottle. As the weather cools, that shouldn't take very long....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dropped a son at school in Burlington last weekend. Managed to safely bring home (one brave soldier did not survive the flight) several very good local beers, including a Alchemist Heady Topper and Focal Banger, Sip O' Sunshine, plus some fine beers from Burlington Brewing and Fiddlehead.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

dislaxxic wrote:

HA, not in our lifetime dis. We had an R house, R senate, and R guv and they couldn't get rid of the state store system. TAATS.

My wife is a Tanqueray on the rocks girl (but with extra limes), my old man swore by Boodles when he could get it.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
a fan

Post by a fan »

frmanfan wrote:
dislaxxic wrote:

HA, not in our lifetime dis. We had an R house, R senate, and R guv and they couldn't get rid of the state store system. TAATS.
Where's the applaud emoticon again?

This is a great example of why I prefer a big Federal government to a small Federal government and a bigger State government.

The Federal government couldn't care less where and how I sell my spirits, so long as I obey consumer protection laws, and pay my excise tax on time. I'm nothing to them---and that's a great place to be. However my local and State government knows EXACTLY who I am, and what I do....and at every turn
that means more regulations, fees, and overall hassle.

The States---and it makes zero difference which party is in control--- want to control and stick it to me at every turn. TAATS...well put frmanfan.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I was at distilling school with the Boodles head distiller (she has since moved on). That's a fine gin!

Wonderful to hear you gents are enjoying my work----and I'm especially happy to hear you got your hands on the Summer Gin, YA. Glad you like it!
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

a fan wrote:I was at distilling school with the Boodles head distiller (she has since moved on). That's a fine gin!

Wonderful to hear you gents are enjoying my work----and I'm especially happy to hear you got your hands on the Summer Gin, YA. Glad you like it!
If I am ever in a state that sells it, I'll check out NY next weekend, I'll buy some for the wife. She is a very discerning drinker - bought her some local gin a year ago, it went down the drain. And I had to agree with her, even though it was my $$ she was flushing.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I looove checking out a new liquor store. Out of town, out of state, out of country- the further the better! It's my favorite past time!

As a MD native, we take a winter vacation in VA. Up until 2014-2015 you used to be able to find plentiful Elijah Craig 18yr in VA for $35. Shelves full. It was $70+ in MD, IF you could find it. A friend and I used to split a case each year!

:mrgreen:

Unfortunately, these days the good stuff rarely makes it up to MD or VA. And the price has gone up to $250-$500.

IMO if you're looking for a good, new drink these days, your best bet is a boutique craft/small batch spirit. A fan's product is a perfect example- there is some very good stuff out there!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thatsmell wrote:I looove checking out a new liquor store. Out of town, out of state, out of country- the further the better! It's my favorite past time!

As a MD native, we take a winter vacation in VA. Up until 2014-2015 you used to be able to find plentiful Elijah Craig 18yr in VA for $35. Shelves full. It was $70+ in MD, IF you could find it. A friend and I used to split a case each year!

Unfortunately, these days the good stuff rarely makes it up to MD or VA. And the price has gone up to $250-$500.

IMO if you're looking for a good, new drink these days, your best bet is a boutique craft/small batch spirit. A fan's product is a perfect example- there is some very good stuff out there!
Try Blantons if you have not done do already.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

thatsmell wrote:
As a MD native, we take a winter vacation in VA. Up until 2014-2015 you used to be able to find plentiful Elijah Craig 18yr in VA for $35. Shelves full. It was $70+ in MD, IF you could find it. A friend and I used to split a case each year!!
Those days will never return. To give you an idea on evaporation, KY distillers lose about 1/2 the content of the barrel after just 8 years.

18 yo Craig Bourbon at $35 is just giving it away. Insane that my fellow distillers charged that, while Grey Goose was the same doggone price.

Criminal.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
thatsmell wrote:I looove checking out a new liquor store. Out of town, out of state, out of country- the further the better! It's my favorite past time!

Try Blantons if you have not done do already.
I'm just missing the "L" from my stopper collection...

:D
a fan wrote:
thatsmell wrote:
As a MD native, we take a winter vacation in VA. Up until 2014-2015 you used to be able to find plentiful Elijah Craig 18yr in VA for $35. Shelves full. It was $70+ in MD, IF you could find it. A friend and I used to split a case each year!!
Those days will never return. To give you an idea on evaporation, KY distillers lose about 1/2 the content of the barrel after just 8 years.

18 yo Craig Bourbon at $35 is just giving it away. Insane that my fellow distillers charged that, while Grey Goose was the same doggone price.

Criminal.
I know it was. We used to actually say it. We couldnt believe the price either. I'm pretty sure those exact words came out of our mouths... in between sips!

:D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Neat story about a friend from HS who I played soccer with..."a whiskey hunter". A bit more from his BLOG
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'd imagine you already know this, but Jack Rose is probably one of the best know whiskey bars on the Planet among producers.

Was he any good on the pitch? :lol:
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Not to that level, but aFan, have you been to Dry85 in Annapolis yet?

Good stuff. Not a crazy assortment or anythign ridiculously unique, (at least when I was there) but their bartenders were great and their signature coctails and in-house barrel aged manhattens made it worth a visit if you're in NapTown.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote:I'd imagine you already know this, but Jack Rose is probably one of the best know whiskey bars on the Planet among producers.

Was he any good on the pitch? :lol:
Have not spoke with him in years....talk to his brother occasionally. I do owe him a visit. Your pitch comment went over my head....unless you are referring to the "whiskey hunter" comment....if so, I'll leave that one alone. ;)
~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Today I'm drinking some Coors. Tomorrow I will be driving it over state lines and drinking some more.

RIP Burt Reynolds.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”