Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:18 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:08 pm There is quite a bit going on in this piece--thanks for posting.
so many thoughts about that article.....

:|
Bart

Post by Bart »

Was perusing the DII men's thread and a post about tournament expansion caught my eye. Looked a the link and besides tournament expansion there as a section regarding cannabinoids and that the DII Presidents council decided to remove the ban. I guess the DII presidents council news is old news as the The NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports recommended this about a year ago. If this has been discussed here my apologies but I do not remember it being done. I gotta believe at least 1 forum regular is smiling.............

The press release is below:
"The NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports recommended that each of the three divisional governance bodies introduce and adopt legislation that would remove cannabinoids from the list of NCAA banned drug classes.

Committee members, who met this week in Indianapolis, also recommended the development of a robust educational strategy to accompany a potential change to cannabinoid legislation.

The timing of discussion and adoption of possible legislation is a decision that will be made by each of three NCAA divisional governance structures.

This recommendation is based on extensive study informed by industry and subject matter experts (including doctors, substance misuse experts and membership practitioners).

The rationale for considering the change was largely informed by the December 2022 Summit on Cannabinoids in College Athletics and the consensus opinion formed that cannabis is not a performance-enhancing drug and that a harm-reduction approach to cannabis is best implemented at the school level.

The recommendation aims to recenter student-athlete health while recognizing membership opinions and the shifting cultural and legal landscapes surrounding cannabinoids.

In short, removing cannabinoids from the list of banned substances:

Acknowledges the ineffectiveness of existing policy (banning, testing and penalizing).
Affirms the role of the NCAA drug-testing program to address only performance-enhancing substances.
Emphasizes the importance of moving toward a harm-reduction strategy that prioritizes education and support at the school level over penalties.
In June, the committee signaled its support for removing cannabinoids from the Association's banned drug list and testing protocols with the intent to gather input from the membership this summer, with final action expected in the fall. However, last month, the NCAA Board of Governors asked the committee to head down a legislative path.

"When making a decision on an important topic like this, we agree that the membership should have an opportunity to vote on the final outcome," said James Houle, committee chair and lead sport psychologist at Ohio State. "We are recommending a big shift in the paradigm when it comes to cannabinoids. We want to modernize the strategy with the most up-to-date research to give schools the best opportunity to support the health of student-athletes.""
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... s-lacrosse

New kids on the block Clemson with an a already better facility than alot of established programs..football money is different. Just like football experienced the wave of fancy facilities upgrades and construction to lure recruits, it's now happening to women's lacrosse. Time to poney up the cash or risk getting left behind.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:29 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... s-lacrosse

New kids on the block Clemson with an a already better facility than alot of established programs..football money is different. Just like football experienced the wave of fancy facilities upgrades and construction to lure recruits, it's now happening to women's lacrosse. Time to poney up the cash or risk getting left behind.
It's a beautiful facility, but can someone explain why the heck Clemson would have a turf field and not natural grass?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:20 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:29 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... s-lacrosse

It's a beautiful facility, but can someone explain why the heck Clemson would have a turf field and not natural grass?
The upkeep and maintenance is less expensive. Not saying I agree with it--but I know that's what it is.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:21 pm

The upkeep and maintenance is less expensive. Not saying I agree with it--but I know that's what it is.
Yea, but....football money. They have a lot more of it than every other southern school that plays on grass other than Florida and Vandy. What other big program south of MD plays on turf?
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:29 pm

Yea, but....football money. They have a lot more of it than every other southern school that plays on grass other than Florida and Vandy. What other big program south of MD plays on turf?
That always seems to be the reason. They certainly don't consider the players when they lay down a turf field. I work with a guy who used to do it for a living. That is always the reason – the upkeep is easier and costs less money in the long run.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Real nice facility. But real glad my daughter has a degree from Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt does a lot of good things on campus and one of the features my daughter really appreciated was the McGuign Center, which houses Vanderbilt athletic offices as well as all the teams locker rooms (except baseball and basketball), weight rooms, study halls, training rooms, rehab and PT, athlete cafeteria etc.. It was a place where all the student athletes would be together on a daily basis and allows them all to get to know each other. It has been fun watching my daughters fellow classmates and friends from Vanderbilt have success in the NFL, MLB, PGA Tour etc..

I think one thing that may be missed with the "lacrosse" only facilities is the isolation and only being with your "team", missing out on a lot of other relationships you can forge during your college years.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:36 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:29 pm

That always seems to be the reason. They certainly don't consider the players when they lay down a turf field. I work with a guy who used to do it for a living. That is always the reason – the upkeep is easier and costs less money in the long run.
To piggyback, my guess is they'll primarily practice on this field as well. They don't have any other fields up at the lax facility so the game field use will be high.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

I was under the impression most of the deeper south have turf. Jax, High Point, Fla, Coastal etc. Gotta save the water. Don’t have to hire fifteen people to maintain it either.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:05 pm I was under the impression most of the deeper south have turf. Jax, High Point, Fla, Coastal etc. Gotta save the water. Don’t have to hire fifteen people to maintain it either.
Florida is grass...and I think the caveat was "big schools" aka Power 5.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:50 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:05 pm I was under the impression most of the deeper south have turf. Jax, High Point, Fla, Coastal etc. Gotta save the water. Don’t have to hire fifteen people to maintain it either.
👍. I would think That would be a super small sample for lax
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:41 pm
True but I think the point being those schools have the resources and $$$ to sustain a natural grass field.

But to the original point, Clemson should be on grass!
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 am
True but I think the point being those schools have the resources and $$$ to sustain a natural grass field.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I work with a guy who used to lay artificial turf for a living. Those fields last for 10 years. No watering required. Never have to re-paint the lines. Never have to mow the grass. Never see worn hardened brown dirt patches. That's a lot of upkeep the facility doesn't have to be responsible for in the stretch of a decade. He also made a good point--rich universities like to save money, too. Now, I want to make clear that I detest artificial turf. I think I can safely say that players who routinely hit the deck in all sports would agree with me there. Who wouldn't rather fall on grass and dirt that gives a little rather than artificial turf which doesn't, comparatively speaking. All to say, I know why the owners and overseers of teams choose the turf over the grass.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:45 am
spidey44 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:51 am

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I work with a guy who used to lay artificial turf for a living. Those fields last for 10 years. No watering required. Never have to re-paint the lines. Never have to mow the grass. Never see worn hardened brown dirt patches. That's a lot of upkeep the facility doesn't have to be responsible for in the stretch of a decade. He also made a good point--rich universities like to save money, too. Now, I want to make clear that I detest artificial turf. I think I can safely say that players who routinely hit the deck in all sports would agree with me there. Who wouldn't rather fall on grass and dirt that gives a little rather than artificial turf which doesn't, comparatively speaking. All to say, I know why the owners and overseers of teams choose the turf over the grass.
No, I understand the why, it's just a shame. But as I said it earlier, it does make sense since I'm sure the majority, if not all of their training/practices will be on the turf since the other practice fields aren't super close to the new facility. It would be next to impossible to keep up with that much use on natural grass.
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 am it's just a shame.
It is indeed.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

I just looked at my "Year End" email from IWLCA Recruits, which had a listing of the Top 3 most favorited programs on their site.

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke
#3. Coastal Carolina University

I was a bit surprised.
whyamihere

Post by whyamihere »

i got the same email and mine said coaches viewed my daughters account 61 times in 2023...she is a sophomore in college!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:01 pm I just looked at my "Year End" email from IWLCA Recruits, which had a listing of the Top 3 most favorited programs on their site.

Here's the ranking.

#1. Clemson
#2. Duke
#3. Coastal Carolina University

I was a bit surprised.
Yeah. I was perplexed at #3. Last year it was
Clemson
UNC
Duke
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Here’s a miscellaneous topic

I wonder how many ranked teams don’t have an indoor facility. I’m guessing not a lot.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”