Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
WLaxdad

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by WLaxdad »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:39 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm Cleats vs Turf shoes?

My kid (12U) just started playing on almost all turf this year after playing mostly grass before. I bought her new cleats this year but now I'm thinking she might need turf shoes. The fields are all HS outdoor turf (typically football fields).

What is everyone's thought on this?
Most will say that studies show turf shoes are safer on turf than cleats. Seems in HS ball in a league where all games are on turf many girls wear turf shoes. Once they get to college and usually play on a mix of grass and turf girls stick with cleats so that they wear the same shoes every game.(with the exception of playing on FH turf at MD and other places where they usually just where sneakers).
I've always been curious about this. Turf shoes (rubber nubs on the bottom) are really designed for the old school carpeted Astroturf stuff you see in field hockey. Injury risk aside (I've seen plenty of players in turf shoes sustain non-contact knee/ankle injuries...), I feel players who wear turf shoes on grass and football FieldTurf fields (the rubber pellet stuff) are at a significant disadvantage.

College level, the non-ACC teams spend 95% of their practice/game time on synthetic FieldTurf -- 100% of men's players in college wear cleats. In my experience, the same D1 women's teams are predominantly wearing turf shoes. I coach in turf shoes and the reduction in grip / change of direction vs cleats is remarkable. When I ask the girls who wear turfs why they prefer them, most shrug their shoulders and say they've never really thought about it. The ones who have switched to cleats haven't looked back.

For a 12 year old I'd go with what's safe and comfortable. But I would also guess that if she were playing soccer on the same surface, she would look around and see most of the other players in cleats.
What do the cleats actually grip into...the rubber pellets, the plastic grass?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:39 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm Cleats vs Turf shoes?

My kid (12U) just started playing on almost all turf this year after playing mostly grass before. I bought her new cleats this year but now I'm thinking she might need turf shoes. The fields are all HS outdoor turf (typically football fields).

What is everyone's thought on this?
Most will say that studies show turf shoes are safer on turf than cleats. Seems in HS ball in a league where all games are on turf many girls wear turf shoes. Once they get to college and usually play on a mix of grass and turf girls stick with cleats so that they wear the same shoes every game.(with the exception of playing on FH turf at MD and other places where they usually just where sneakers).
I've always been curious about this. Turf shoes (rubber nubs on the bottom) are really designed for the old school carpeted Astroturf stuff you see in field hockey. Injury risk aside (I've seen plenty of players in turf shoes sustain non-contact knee/ankle injuries...), I feel players who wear turf shoes on grass and football FieldTurf fields (the rubber pellet stuff) are at a significant disadvantage.

College level, the non-ACC teams spend 95% of their practice/game time on synthetic FieldTurf -- 100% of men's players in college wear cleats. In my experience, the same D1 women's teams are predominantly wearing turf shoes. I coach in turf shoes and the reduction in grip / change of direction vs cleats is remarkable. When I ask the girls who wear turfs why they prefer them, most shrug their shoulders and say they've never really thought about it. The ones who have switched to cleats haven't looked back.

For a 12 year old I'd go with what's safe and comfortable. But I would also guess that if she were playing soccer on the same surface, she would look around and see most of the other players in cleats.
I’ve seen plenty of players in turfs, cleats, and sneakers sustain plenty of non-contact knee and ankle injuries. Playing surface, weather, and shoe selection are going to always be a big factors. This is JMO but I think sometimes cleats actually hold a bigger injury risk. The actual soles of the shoe (especially on soccer cleats, which I do see a lot of lacrosse players wearing) are narrow and small, often smaller than the perimeter of one’s foot. This lack of support could open up the door for an increased risk of stress fractures and ankle sprains. Again, JMO. It’s all very situation dependent & athlete dependent.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

301Hayes wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:41 am
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm They should all be wearing the Goodale footwear, properly accommodated.
Seems as if they're the PF Flyers of 2024. There's magic in 'em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hkXdb81VU
Lots of girls would love to wear different cleats/turfs than they do but they’re stuck with the brand sponsored by their school. In some cases the brand doesnt even make lacrosse cleats and certainly not women’s lacrosse cleats so they’re wearing football cleats or soccer cleats. I can’t imagine that situation is helping but most schools are absolutely inflexible and will not budge on this.
Nike, UA and New Balance all make women's lacrosse cleats. What schools are sponsored by someone other than one of those 3 for their soft goods?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm They should all be wearing the Goodale footwear, properly accommodated.
Lots of girls would love to wear different cleats/turfs than they do but they’re stuck with the brand sponsored by their school. In some cases the brand doesnt even make lacrosse cleats and certainly not women’s lacrosse cleats so they’re wearing football cleats or soccer cleats. I can’t imagine that situation is helping but most schools are absolutely inflexible and will not budge on this.
I actually think there is a pretty common preference for soccer cleats even when lacrosse cleats are an option. Soccer cleats are sleek and very lightweight. I’ve often found lax cleats to be unnecessarily heavy, chunky, & clunky.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm
Nike, UA and New Balance all make women's lacrosse cleats. What schools are sponsored by someone other than one of those 3 for their soft goods?
Adidas probably, but they also make lacrosse cleats
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 pm
Lots of Adidas programs these days.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

lacrossemwj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 pm
And all 4 companies produce soccer cleats.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

cltlax wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:41 pm
lacrossemwj wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 pm
And all 4 companies produce soccer cleats.
Like...What the fudge are you actually talking about 301???

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”